TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
mmatarella

Roamio and Mini troubleshooting

Got a Roamio Plus and three Mini's. I replaced the drive with a WD 3 TB AV-GP green drive before first use. All are on a MOCA network with Fios service.

My issue is a combination of heavy pixelization and stuttering, both live and recorded shows. Sometimes if I back up the problem remains the same, in other cases the second time through the playback is clear. It's intermittent so a real challenge to identify the source so far.

I've also occasionally gotten a channel not avail or authorized error on the Roamio, often on two or three in a row, then when going back to that channel in a few seconds it works.

Lastly less often the Roamio will just be really slow going through any menu, or fail to change channel or change and no video or audio appear, and finally it will reboot. I can hear a Mini in the other room still playing while the Roamio is frozen locally, of course the Mini goes down when the Roamio finally reboots.

All the Mini's also suffer from an occasional sudden reboot. I've replaced the splitter and all but two of the coax runs (those two runs are going to be extremely difficult to replace so they are a last resort), including the original coax from the Fios ONT to my splitter. I replaced the patchwork of splitters and cables with one central splitter, save one run to my office has a splitter for the Mini there and my Fios router.

I've power cycled the Fios ONT too (and Router).

I'm torn on whether to try putting the unused original 1 TB drive back in or temporarily run coax on the floor to the two difficult to replace spots as a troubleshooting method. If neither of these find the problem I'd assume the Roamio itself has issues.

I had a Tivo HD and Premiere before buying the Roamio on the unimproved coax cable plant with NO issues whatsoever.

I'm leaning towards a diagnosis of the HD being flakey, the Roamio having issues with drive access and causing all these symptoms.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Before the Roamio and other Tivo's, I had a couple Panasonic Showstopper / Replay TV's, and later four Sonic Blue 5000 series Replays, and Ceton tuner with WMC, etc. How did we live before DVR's?

Mark
mmatarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatarella View Post
Got a Roamio Plus and three Mini's. I replaced the drive with a WD 3 TB AV-GP green drive before first use. All are on a MOCA network with Fios service.

My issue is a combination of heavy pixelization and stuttering, both live and recorded shows. Sometimes if I back up the problem remains the same, in other cases the second time through the playback is clear. It's intermittent so a real challenge to identify the source so far.

I've also occasionally gotten a channel not avail or authorized error on the Roamio, often on two or three in a row, then when going back to that channel in a few seconds it works.

Lastly less often the Roamio will just be really slow going through any menu, or fail to change channel or change and no video or audio appear, and finally it will reboot. I can hear a Mini in the other room still playing while the Roamio is frozen locally, of course the Mini goes down when the Roamio finally reboots.

All the Mini's also suffer from an occasional sudden reboot. I've replaced the splitter and all but two of the coax runs (those two runs are going to be extremely difficult to replace so they are a last resort), including the original coax from the Fios ONT to my splitter. I replaced the patchwork of splitters and cables with one central splitter, save one run to my office has a splitter for the Mini there and my Fios router.

I've power cycled the Fios ONT too (and Router).

I'm torn on whether to try putting the unused original 1 TB drive back in or temporarily run coax on the floor to the two difficult to replace spots as a troubleshooting method. If neither of these find the problem I'd assume the Roamio itself has issues.

I had a Tivo HD and Premiere before buying the Roamio on the unimproved coax cable plant with NO issues whatsoever.

I'm leaning towards a diagnosis of the HD being flakey, the Roamio having issues with drive access and causing all these symptoms.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Before the Roamio and other Tivo's, I had a couple Panasonic Showstopper / Replay TV's, and later four Sonic Blue 5000 series Replays, and Ceton tuner with WMC, etc. How did we live before DVR's?

Mark
If the sputtering is occurring on the Roamio when watching live or recorded shows, then drive could be a issue, if it's just occurring on the minis only then the communications would be the main fault. Can you try running one of the minis on Ethernet instead of moca to test with? Even if it's temporary, such as long cat 5 cable run, that should tell you something. Also check the network settings, if you are using the Roamio as the moca bridge gateway, you should be able to see some moca stats including data rates and errors.

Might run Netflix on the minis and see if you have streaming viewing problems.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
trip1eX

disconnect/unassociate the Minis from the Roamio.

See if the Roamio has problems on its own.

Put original hard drive back in if it does.

IF not run some ethernet from Roamio to router to Mini.

Last edited by trip1eX : 07-29-2014 at 09:30 AM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
tarheelblue32

You could have multiple issues going on here, so you're going to have to narrow things down. First thing you should do is definitely put the old HD back in, as it sounds like that could be the source of a lot of these problems.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
mmatarella

Yes, have the issues with the Mini's too. The problem with disconnecting all the Minis (good idea by the way) is that my better half watches primarily on the two of the Mini's and I might need two days to see problems again. She's been very tolerant of issues so far, like to keep it that way. ;-)

The two she uses are not where I have Ethernet cabling, though I could try as a temp test. I am not aware if I can mix some of the Tivo's on moca and some on Ethernet, but I will just go try vs. asking here.

I've only done a bit of Netflix and it worked ok. Part of the problem is it can take two days or so before these problems recur. We watch almost nothing live, and it's a matter of going through recorded shows and finding there were issues two to three days ago.

If I watch live for testing there might be no issues for two days or so. Worst of all the last 5 laps of the Hungarian F1 race recording were basically unwatchable and it was one of the most competitive race ends in years! LOL

I love my vaulted ceilings, but it leaves a very small attic cavity and we're on a slab so cabling is not easy.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm downloading the shows we care about to my server via Tivo desktop... in prep for hard drive test swap.
mmatarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
shamilian

I just got a Roamio to take the place of a Premier also on FIOS.

I noticed that the signal level on the Roamio was "hotter" than on the Premier. I had to install 9db of attenuation to get the signal to 99%,
which is where you want the signal.

Before attenuating the signal I would get occasional pixelattion which I no longer do, the bad parts in the stream would also confuse the client on a remote streaming Tivo.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatarella View Post
Yes, have the issues with the Mini's too. The problem with disconnecting all the Minis (good idea by the way) is that my better half watches primarily on the two of the Mini's and I might need two days to see problems again. She's been very tolerant of issues so far, like to keep it that way. ;-)

The two she uses are not where I have Ethernet cabling, though I could try as a temp test. I am not aware if I can mix some of the Tivo's on moca and some on Ethernet, but I will just go try vs. asking here.

I've only done a bit of Netflix and it worked ok. Part of the problem is it can take two days or so before these problems recur. We watch almost nothing live, and it's a matter of going through recorded shows and finding there were issues two to three days ago.

If I watch live for testing there might be no issues for two days or so. Worst of all the last 5 laps of the Hungarian F1 race recording were basically unwatchable and it was one of the most competitive race ends in years! LOL

I love my vaulted ceilings, but it leaves a very small attic cavity and we're on a slab so cabling is not easy.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm downloading the shows we care about to my server via Tivo desktop... in prep for hard drive test swap.
move the roamio to where your better half watches tv and let her do the testing.

But really don't see the big deal. The Roamio is recording the shows either way. If you can't watch on the Mini for a few days the shows are still there.

Last edited by trip1eX : 07-29-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
elborak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
But really don't see the big deal. The Roamio is recording the shows either way. If you can't watch on the Mini for a few days the shows are still there.
You must be single...
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM   #9
tryx911

Just so you know my Roamio Basic has been doing the same thing with video playback. It's completely random and like you said yours is doing,it can freeze in one spot and then play fine and then freeze in another spot. I have 2 minis and when they freeze a get a connection error with host DVR message but then I try and watch something else and it plays fine. Then go back to what wouldn't play without freezing and it might play fine or it might play then freeze again. Like you said it's all random and I've had this setup for 8 months with no issues. Then I got the summer update a week or so ago and that's when the trouble began.
tryx911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Like I just posted in another thread:

It could be the hard drive has found it's way into some sectors that can't be read, or are too slow to read, to be able to keep up.

Just a thought, not a diagnosis.
Old Today, 12:07 AM   #11
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by elborak View Post
You must be single...
Nope. Married with 2 kids.

whole point of a dvr is to record shows so you can watch them later. like if you have to go to events with kids during the week or go camping during the weekend or visit the relatives or are on vacation or .....need to troubleshoot your network.

Last edited by trip1eX : Today at 12:17 AM.