TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #61
jmpage2

That's my feeling too. You can save that CSR transcript and hope that TiVo honors those prices for a refurb replacement down the road but it's not in writing as a guarantee, which IS the case with an extended warranty.

I don't normally buy extended warranties, but on some items like cell phones (were damage is covered) or something like a TiVo that has a very high cost of replacement compared to the cost of the coverage it is something of a no brainer.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #62
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
In the past, the transfer cost has been $199, so that makes $348 for the "repair." There is NO guarantee that Tivo will continue to honor such a program either. I am not directly arguing for the warranty, but I thought that your post was misleading since it didn't quote the cost associated.
In the first 3 years TiVo will xfer the lifetime for the $149 price, the extra $199 lifetime xfer comes after 3 years for any TiVo exchange.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #63
socrplyr

edit
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #64
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
That's my feeling too. You can save that CSR transcript and hope that TiVo honors those prices for a refurb replacement down the road but it's not in writing as a guarantee, which IS the case with an extended warranty.

I don't normally buy extended warranties, but on some items like cell phones (were damage is covered) or something like a TiVo that has a very high cost of replacement compared to the cost of the coverage it is something of a no brainer.
Agreed....that's why I spent the $40 for the extended warranty. My wife and I will skip a dinner out to pay for it

With Lifetime, I didn't want to take the chance of not having it follow the box. With the warranty, you not only get the replacement for free, but the lifetime will transfer to it.

Now what no one at Tivo has been able to confirm is.....if I order another warranty on the replacement box (which they tell me I can do), and it fails again (within the 3 years), will they transfer the lifetime again. I've gotten mixed answers. Most however will say that if I end up having that much trouble....they'll work with me.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #65
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Agreed....that's why I spent the $40 for the extended warranty. My wife and I will skip a dinner out to pay for it

With Lifetime, I didn't want to take the chance of not having it follow the box. With the warranty, you not only get the replacement for free, but the lifetime will transfer to it.

Now what no one at Tivo has been able to confirm is.....if I order another warranty on the replacement box (which they tell me I can do), and it fails again (within the 3 years), will they transfer the lifetime again. I've gotten mixed answers. Most however will say that if I end up having that much trouble....they'll work with me.

-Kevin
TiVo does not to repair a 5 year old TiVo and xfer Lifetime for the $149 price, between a 3 and 5 year old TiVo they may work with you. YMMV

Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #66
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
You are not insuring the lifetime sub. If the TiVo fails outside of the 90 day warranty TiVo will charge you for the repair. Its actually done as a cross ship of a refurb unit to you and you return your dead TiVo. The subscription is transferred to the 'repaired' unit. Cost of the repair has been $149. You are spending $39 to insure against a $149 possible expenditure in the future. Not a good price at all.
After weighing options I happen to agree with this. After an online chat I found that if my Roamio becomes defective within 3 they will send a refurb for $149 and transfer the lifetime subscription to it. As someone else said, electronics are generally reliable so I'm going to take my chance and pass on the warranty.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #67
ShoutingMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
After weighing options I happen to agree with this. After an online chat I found that if my Roamio becomes defective within 3 they will send a refurb for $149 and transfer the lifetime subscription to it. As someone else said, electronics are generally reliable so I'm going to take my chance and pass on the warranty.
That's interesting, since that's not what I was told by TiVo csr.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #68
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
That's interesting, since that's not what I was told by TiVo csr.
I have the online chat as my backup. Do the online chat and then save it. It goes into your account too but I would also save it just in case as I don't know if those stay in my account with TiVo forever since I'm new to this.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #69
tooslo

Do I have to buy my Roamio directly from Tivo to sign up for the extended warranty? I was going to buy from Amazon and wanted to make sure I could still get the $40 warranty.
tooslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #70
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslo View Post
Do I have to buy my Roamio directly from Tivo to sign up for the extended warranty? I was going to buy from Amazon and wanted to make sure I could still get the $40 warranty.
You can still get the TiVo extended warranty even if you buy the TiVo from an online or Brick and mortar store.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #71
siratfus

How does tivo deal with you swapping out hard drives? Lets say you do have their extended warranty, but you don't want that "1 time use" to be used. You know it's a hard drive issue and you replace it yourself. The tivo functions fine, then down the road, it really fails and this time it's not because of hard drive. You decide to execute your "1 time use" warranty. When tivo opens it up and realize you swapped hard drives, will they void the extended warranty?
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #72
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
How does tivo deal with you swapping out hard drives? Lets say you do have their extended warranty, but you don't want that "1 time use" to be used. You know it's a hard drive issue and you replace it yourself. The tivo functions fine, then down the road, it really fails and this time it's not because of hard drive. You decide to execute your "1 time use" warranty. When tivo opens it up and realize you swapped hard drives, will they void the extended warranty?
Most people put the original hard drive back in and normally TiVo does not check, but if they do the hard drive check you could have a problem, I have nor heard of any problems in this area.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #73
pautler

As a general rule I never buy extended warranties, and instead use all of the money that I save to "self insure" against possible failures.

With that being said, I DID make an exception to my own rule and I purchased the TiVo warranty. I have a Roamio basic and two minis, with lifetime service subscriptions on all of them.

I figured my "break even" point with the hardware and lifetime service was approximatley 23 months (as opposed to paying the monthly service fee). With the warranty added on my break even point became 29 months. The warranty gives me piece of mind that I don't have to worry about any system failures until after I get well past my break even point. That's how I justified it.

As others have said, the warranty cost on the Roamio itself seems quite reasonable, but the warranty cost on the minis seems too high. I bought the warranty on 1 mini, but not the other one. With my luck, it will be the one without the extra warranty that will have a problem. LOL

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #74
tamathat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobrownblue View Post
Regardless, put the Roamie on a good surge suppressor, I think my TiVo Premiere was fried out by some residual lighting in the cable system I am on. It was dead and TiVo had no suggestions. I unplugged it for a day and then it came back from the dead. It is now on a surge suppressor but I still have not routed the coax from the wall through the surge suppressor to the TiVo. My bad.
I have a premier that failed to boot this weekend after I changed out the tuning adapter (seemingly unrelated but Tivo CSR believes caused the issue). Fingers crossed it comes back from the dead.. but great point on the coax surge, i totally forgot to do that.. I'm going to surge protect is at the wall instead of at the tivo because it has a y adapter and supplies my cable modem too.
tamathat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #75
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathat View Post
... but great point on the coax surge, i totally forgot to do that.. I'm going to surge protect is at the wall instead of at the tivo because it has a y adapter and supplies my cable modem too.
So I never did put a coax filter on my Premiere. The power went out last week and when it came back on my Premiere was fried. Fortunately for the TCF thread on Best Buy price match with Amazon and $50 Best Buy gift certificate I now own a Roamio basic.

I've been cursed recently. My initial install of the Roamio went fine but I was missing a lot of channels. I started guided setup from scratch the next day only to have it fail repeatedly. Turns out TiVo was having an issue with their system. Once this was resolved, I chose the right channel lineup and all is well.

The Roamio is on a coax filter now.
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #76
lessd

Quote:
So I never did put a coax filter on my Premiere. The power went out last week and when it came back on my Premiere was fried. Fortunately for the TCF thread on Best Buy price match with Amazon and $50 Best Buy gift certificate I now own a Roamio basic.

I've been cursed recently. My initial install of the Roamio went fine but I was missing a lot of channels. I started guided setup from scratch the next day only to have it fail repeatedly. Turns out TiVo was having an issue with their system. Once this was resolved, I chose the right channel lineup and all is well.

The Roamio is on a coax filter now.
What coax filter are you using ?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #77
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
What coax filter are you using ?
It's built into my battery backup. I did find these online though:

https://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?Fa...266&Cat2ID=125

https://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?Fa...266&Cat2ID=125
Old 12-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #78
lessd

Quote:
The on-line units are just to block DC voltage not lighting protection.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #79
Elgato54

I am ready to buy a warranty.
Tivo or Squaretrade?

Does Weaknees sell them?
Elgato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #80
ltxi

Tivo
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #81
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
What you want is an inline coax suppressor with a ceramic fuse. Put it inline at the coax ingress point of your residence and everything is covered in one place. They are about $20 shipped and highly worth it as coax is a common entry point for electrical surges.
Just now found this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KR7EK/...I2LZF11IGLH17F
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #82
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgato54 View Post
I am ready to buy a warranty.
Tivo or Squaretrade?

Does Weaknees sell them?
Squaretrade does have a 4-year warranty they make available for a Tivo, though you have to buy it from Amazon directly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I64N2Y/ (warranty for a MSRP-priced Roamio Pro)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #83
jmpage2

Quote:
Not sure how good it is, but probably better than nothing. The APC one is VERY good but very hard to find now as they have stopped making it.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #84
shrike4242

Quote:
Not sure how good it is, but probably better than nothing. The APC one is VERY good but very hard to find now as they have stopped making it.
Here are some other options:

http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector-coaxial-protectors

Last edited by shrike4242 : 01-14-2014 at 12:20 PM.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #85
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
Well, you don't even know what it is with a description like this;

Quote:
HyperLink's Quarter Wave DC-Short Suppressors are designed to pass the desired frequency while suppressing lightning surges
As an engineer it does not tell me anything. There are no real specifications there for how many joules it absorbs or how it does it. Unless I take it apart and look at what is inside of it, it could just be nothing but a cheap splitter.

This is what a spec sheet for a surge device should look like;

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...fm?base_sku=PV

There were a few places still selling that protector a few months ago but looks like they've dried up. I should have bought a few spares at that time.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #86
jmpage2

Well this little conversation got me to check around some more and I was able to scoop up a pair of the APC units on eBay for $30 so thanks for bumping the thread.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm glad I don't need to mess around with them on FiOS. When I had Comcast and DirecTV I ran the coax through a Monster surge protector before going to the rest of my condo. I got rid of DirectV in 2007 and got Comcast, but also got FiOS in 2007. But the last time I had Comcast was in 2009 so I have not needed to use it since then.

EDIT: I forgot. I still run my OTA line through one.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #88
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Well, you don't even know what it is with a description like this;

As an engineer it does not tell me anything. There are no real specifications there for how many joules it absorbs or how it does it. Unless I take it apart and look at what is inside of it, it could just be nothing but a cheap splitter.

This is what a spec sheet for a surge device should look like;

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...fm?base_sku=PV

There were a few places still selling that protector a few months ago but looks like they've dried up. I should have bought a few spares at that time.

How do these specs look to you (or anyone else that knows about these things):

http://tiinetworktechnologies.com/re...DS036-0710.pdf

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my home, but I'd like to know if they are any good first.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-16-2014 at 11:52 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #89
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
How do these specs look to you (or anyone else that knows about these things):

http://tiinetworktechnologies.com/re...DS036-0710.pdf

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my home, but I'd like to know if they are any good first.
Well, it's certainly better than nothing since in a high current situation it shunts the common and center conductors to the ground. It's much slower than the APC during high current event. The APC shunts in under one nanosecond and this one looks like it might take about 10-20 microseconds to do so.

Like I said, it's better than having no surge protection.

It also says it operates up to 1ghz, not sure if that's good enough for MoCA, but since should be installed at the point of entry to the home it should be fine.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #90
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Well, it's certainly better than nothing since in a high current situation it shunts the common and center conductors to the ground. It's much slower than the APC during high current event. The APC shunts in under one nanosecond and this one looks like it might take about 10-20 microseconds to do so.

Like I said, it's better than having no surge protection.

It also says it operates up to 1ghz, not sure if that's good enough for MoCA, but since should be installed at the point of entry to the home it should be fine.
Well, better than nothing might have to do. I am open to other suggestions, but the APC one is no longer manufactured and as you appear to have cleaned out the stock on ebay, it won't be easy to find.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-16-2014 at 02:04 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote