TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #31
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
What you want is an inline coax suppressor with a ceramic fuse. Put it inline at the coax ingress point of your residence and everything is covered in one place. They are about $20 shipped and highly worth it as coax is a common entry point for electrical surges.
Wow, thanks!
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
That is a percentage, not a probability.

Anyhow, how much do folks get charged for other insurance policies? At $40/$1000, a $200,000 house would be $8000 a year. Or, considering this is a 36 month service (right?), that would be $2666 a year. Still a crazy high rate.
I am not sure if those are comparable. Homeowners insurance covers an extremely low risk item. It also has a significant deductible.

You may disagree with the value proposition, but here it is much better than many other warranty options on electronics. It is up to the purchaser if they see value or not.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #33
jrtroo
User

I need to get into the electronic insurance business!

To each their own.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #34
skid71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
What you want is an inline coax suppressor with a ceramic fuse. Put it inline at the coax ingress point of your residence and everything is covered in one place. They are about $20 shipped and highly worth it as coax is a common entry point for electrical surges.
jmpage2,
Can you provide an online retailer or link for this particular device if it's no bother?

I would place this device before the coax goes into the splitter? (the splitter is housed in a box on the side of my home) Now that I think of it, that's where the POE filter is installed. Where exactly would I install the inline coax suppressor?

Thank you for your help. I hate/love electricity.

Skid
skid71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #35
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post

jmpage2,
Can you provide an online retailer or link for this particular device if it's no bother?

I would place this device before the coax goes into the splitter? (the splitter is housed in a box on the side of my home) Now that I think of it, that's where the POE filter is installed. Where exactly would I install the inline coax suppressor?

Skid
I would like one with MoCA POE filter built in. I found one on Soontai's website but I can't figure out how to order from them. Anyone know how to get these? I searched EBay and Amazon with no luck.

http://www.soontai.com/MoCA-PoE-h.htm
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #36
jmpage2

Quote:
jmpage2,

Skid
I have this one;

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...fm?base_sku=pv

Looks like it isn't available now. You can find similar ones on Amazon just do a search. It goes before the moca filter so that its the first inline to your residence.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #37
NoVa

Quote:
jmpage2,

Skid

You would put the coax surge protector in that box where the cable entering your house ias housed. I would put the MOCA filter inside your house .
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #38
donnoh

I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130901754657...84.m1497.l2649

I couldn't tell you if it works or not.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #39
ShoutingMan

I'm a little irrational on this one But I lean towards the extended warranty. It's something to do with the lifetime service vs ongoing monthly fees.

I need to call TiVo to get more info. Their website doesn't give the cost or expiration date of extended warranties. One thing I note: it should be free to transfer Lifetime Service to a new Tivo replaced within the 1-yr limited warranty (though I have to pay repair costs I infer).

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...d/20/related/1
Product Lifetime Service is valid only for the life of the TiVo DVR for which it was originally purchased and can be transferred to another DVR only in one of the following situations:

* You activated the TiVo DVR with Product Lifetime Service less than 30 days ago.
* The TiVo DVR was exchanged under warranty, either through the retailer or the manufacturer. (Proof of this exchange will be required).
* The TiVo DVR was activated under an incorrect service number.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...32/kw/warranty
Limited Warranty:
If you have purchased Product Lifetime Service for the life of your Series2 DT, Series3, Premiere Series, or Roamio Series DVR, the device has a 90-day warranty on parts and labor.

After 90 days, you will have a limited warranty for no more than one (1) year from the original purchase date.

The sticky wicket could be if they exercised the refund option: instead of replacing my Tivo and transferring lifetime, they could refund my hardware purchase price and screw me over. Perhaps that's not what the language means, but I read that as an option from this paragraph:

Maximum liability under this Contract shall be the cost of: (I) one replacement with a Product of like grade and quality or (II) reimbursement of the retail price paid for the products minus the sales tax. This Contract provides for only the one-time replacement of the Product with another Product of like grade and quality. This Contract will expire at the time of this replacement or reimbursement for replacement or term expiration and the covered Product becomes the property of Service Net and We may, at Our discretion, require the Product to be returned to Us (or Our designee) at Our expense. Service Net reserves the right to replace the Product with a remanufactured or refurbished Product.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
innocentfreak

I usually don't buy it, but it paid off on one of my Premiere XLs. The unit completely died. It locked up on the CableCARD screen and after pulling the plug since it wouldn't do anything it didn't boot. It was completely dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I usually don't buy it, but it paid off on one of my Premiere XLs. The unit completely died. It locked up on the CableCARD screen and after pulling the plug since it wouldn't do anything it didn't boot. It was completely dead.
The insurance has about a 80% profit, so with 1000 people using the insurance the co takes in about $40,000 and pays out about $8000, but the trick is that the only real cost to TiVo to replace a customers TiVo is the hardware cost, the xfer of Lifetime will cost TiVo nothing, but would cost you $399, so in this case $40 is most likely ok for 3 years of insurance, if you are not upgrading your TiVo.. That may be the rub for many on this forum, it is for me, that why I don't purchase the insurance.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #42
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep that's an important point - if you buy the extended warranty on a Basic or Plus, you better not drop a bigger drive in it.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #43
kbmb

If you plan to replace the hard drive yourself.....keep in mind that if that fails, TiVo likely won't cover it. I'd keep my original drive around anyway just in case. Not sure you'd want to waste the warranty replacement on a failed drive (if you upgraded) anyway.

I see the TiVo warranty as a pretty decent deal covering the basic hardware. Failures happen....and if it's a hardware failure (not drive related)....it will definitely pay off. It's basically like any other insurance....only thing it's good for is IF there is a failure.

My biggest thing is the lifetime transfer for free to the replaced device. Had to make 2 calls a 1 chat with Tivo to get a straight answer. Basically, if you have a lifetime unit, and the extended warranty, if you need a replacement......they will transfer that warranty for free within that 3 year period to the new unit.

The replacement unit doesn't continue the extended warranty.....but Tivo told me you can buy another policy for the replacement....but if that one fails under the warranty you cannot transfer the lifetime sub again. At that point they will likely charge something like the $199 fee.

I just got a Roamio Plus and I think I'm going to get the $399 lifetime and the $40 extended warranty. This is replacing a Tivo HD that we've had for 8 years.....we've paid over $1200 in monthly fees for that.....so $399 is almost a no brainer considering we keep the Tivo for so long.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #44
ShoutingMan

I don't plan to replace the hard drive. The 1 TB is plenty for me for a while.

I called TiVo to get details and buy the warranty. However, they said they're having very long wait times due to the weather. I hung up, and will call back this week.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #45
aaronwt
HD Addict

You should be able to add the extended warranty online, without having to call them.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #46
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You should be able to add the extended warranty online, without having to call them.
You can during the initial activation. Once it's activated, they force you to call.

-Kevin
Old 09-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #47
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
You can during the initial activation. Once it's activated, they force you to call.

-Kevin
The link for the warranty is on your account screen for about 90 days after activation, you do not have to call!!

Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #48
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The link for the warranty is on your account screen for about 90 days after activation, you do not have to call!!
Not mine. My link said Get Extended Warranty right under the DVR name that popped up window that told me to call (which I did).

Maybe everybody's is different.

-Kevin
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #49
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
That's what I thought since I had been seeing the link for the extended warranty, next to my Roamio Pro on my account page, since a few days after I activated it.

But I just clicked on it and it then says that I need to call to add the warranty. Which really makes no sense. They should have it setup so no human interaction is involved. Especially since when you call you will have to wait for a CSR.

They let you activate a box online and subscribe to the TiVo service. So you would think they would be able to let you add the warranty to the TiVo online as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #50
innocentfreak

Ordered my warranty online and it shows fine for me. Maybe there was a problem with your card when they tried to run it.

On my Mini it says I would need to call so maybe they changed it so you have to call after activation.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #51
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Not mine. My link said Get Extended Warranty right under the DVR name that popped up window that told me to call (which I did).

Maybe everybody's is different.

-Kevin
Just checked my link and it did say to call, so I guess the way you get this warranty has changed for some of us.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #52
ShoutingMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Can't do it online. The details page doesn't give cost or duration, and requires me to call to purchase. Annoying, but that's how TiVo is doing it.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #53
ShoutingMan

Roamio & Mini
Cost: $30 / 2015, $40 / 2016 from purchase date
Parts & Labor: none within warranty
Cost to transfer Lifetime: no within warranty
Cost to transfer Lifetime without Extended: some fee
Lifetime lost if purchase price refunded?

I bought the 3 yr for the Roamio (ok deal) and 2 yr for Mini (not so good deal, but I'm on the phone spending money)
Old 09-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #54
whm

You do have to call for the warranty

Quote:
Actually you do have to call. When I clicked the link it just puts up a box with the phone number.
whm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #55
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Roamio & Mini
Cost: $30 / 2015, $40 / 2016 from purchase date
Parts & Labor: none within warranty
Cost to transfer Lifetime: no within warranty
Cost to transfer Lifetime without Extended: some fee
Lifetime lost if purchase price refunded?

I bought the 3 yr for the Roamio (ok deal) and 2 yr for Mini (not so good deal, but I'm on the phone spending money)
The extended warranty at BestBuy is a better deal for the Mini. For only $20 you can get a 4 year warranty on the Mini from Best Buy. $14 gets you a two year warranty.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #56
danjw1

Does anyone know if the accept Square Trade warranties for transfer of lifetime?
Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

When I added lifetime service to my replacement Roamio Pro today online, it gave me the option to add a 2 or 3 year extended warranty. So I guess you can only do it online when you do the initial activation. Since with the other Pro it said I needed to call.

I just started setting up the replacement but I wanted it to already have service when I plugged it in so hopefully there aren't issues. AT least it did boot up fine and is installing the initial update.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #58
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
You are not insuring the lifetime sub. If the TiVo fails outside of the 90 day warranty TiVo will charge you for the repair. Its actually done as a cross ship of a refurb unit to you and you return your dead TiVo. The subscription is transferred to the 'repaired' unit. Cost of the repair has been $149. You are spending $39 to insure against a $149 possible expenditure in the future. Not a good price at all.
After weighing options I happen to agree with this. After an online chat I found that if my Roamio becomes defective within 3 they will send a refurb for $149 and transfer the lifetime subscription to it. As someone else said, electronics are generally reliable so I'm going to take my chance and pass on the warranty.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #59
ShoutingMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
After weighing options I happen to agree with this. After an online chat I found that if my Roamio becomes defective within 3 they will send a refurb for $149 and transfer the lifetime subscription to it. As someone else said, electronics are generally reliable so I'm going to take my chance and pass on the warranty.
There's also the cost of transferring Lifetime Service.

Extended warranties are not good deals, by the basic economics. But this one felt appealing to me.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #60
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
In the past, the transfer cost has been $199, so that makes $348 for the "repair." There is NO guarantee that Tivo will continue to honor such a program either. I am not directly arguing for the warranty, but I thought that your post was misleading since it didn't quote the cost associated.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote