TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
elwaylite

Little problem with new Roamio not showing on Amazon

Looking for pointers here.

Setup Tivo yesterday afternoon, put they seem to have had a network issue and I could not call the mothership and finish setup. Once that got worked out, I did the service update and called in a few more times.

I then went here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000778131

And registered the device with Amazon, and it seemed to work fine. All this was done while the Tivo was still in "activation" according to tivo.com.

As of this morning, the tivo is activated, I called in a few more times, and the box does not show up on Amazon as a download option for my tv shows. The Tivo does not show in registered devices either under Amazon Video On Demand. When I go to that link and try and register again, clicking the link does nothing but refresh that page. Almost like my registration is caught in limbo.

I'm going to get on Tivo chat this morning when they get in, but any advice would be appreciated.
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

My understanding is that amazon is not currently working for newly purchased boxes due to an issue with closed captions and a government regulation. Check the box- the amazon logo is probably covered up.

There may be a work-around, so you may want to search around for a solution. Hoping the new amazon app will fix the issue.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
elwaylite

I thought that was just the app on the tivo, but you could register with amazon and still force downloads to the box like you have been able to do for years?
Directv HR44/200
Old 10-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
elwaylite

Spoke to Tivo and they basically told me I was out of luck. Since I bought the Roamio to get Amazon tv show downloads only, not for OTA, it is going back.

No more use to me than a brick.
Directv HR44/200
Old 10-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
jrtroo
User

Did you search the site? There are two points to consider, 1) there is an unofficial work around, just search this site for it and 2) there is a new app coming out this fall, so if you must return it you may want to check that out, additional functionality is expected, including the addition of Prime instant videos.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
elwaylite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Did you search the site? There are two points to consider, 1) there is an unofficial work around, just search this site for it and 2) there is a new app coming out this fall, so if you must return it you may want to check that out, additional functionality is expected, including the addition of Prime instant videos.
I searched but have not seen an unofficial work around, other than what I tried. I'll look some more.

As far as returning it, I'm not going to just let it sit here and tivo charge me for a month or two until something happens.
Directv HR44/200
Old 10-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
elwaylite

OK. Spent time on phone with Amazon and Tivo. Tivo's stance is, it's their problem, Amazon says what 24-48 hours. I mean I have done this on 3 other boxes in the past, all linked right away.

Anyways, I tried an experiment. I created a dummy Amazon account, went to register the tivo, and voila, it didnt loop to the registration page on Amazon, it went to the next step and where it asks for the Tivo login info and for me to confirm.

Enter in tivo login, bam, tells me my account is already linked with Amazon... So that tells me the link last night went thru in some sort, but...

Not sure how to unlink when the Amazon site doesnt show I am even linked or my device as a registered device...
Directv HR44/200
Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
elwaylite

OK. I talked to tivo again and they gave me a little thing to try with the Amazon app on the Tivo, which I did, and they got it to finish the link.

As soon as I did that, and then went back on Amazon, the "Roamio" was a registered device. Have downloaded about 12 tv show episodes so it is working like a charm. Never had that much of an issue getting one to link, and since one side showed it as linked, and the other did not, there wasn't anything I could do to stop it.

I even tried to get Amazon to look in their system and unlink it, but they told me one was not linked, even though their site was saying so.

Weird. I just hope the new app allows us to keep downloading.
Directv HR44/200
Old 10-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
elborak
Jack of Some Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
OK. I talked to tivo again and they gave me a little thing to try with the Amazon app on the Tivo, which I did, and they got it to finish the link.
It might be helpful to future readers of this thread to mention what that "little thing" was.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

That app is going away soon and will be replaced by the Amazon Prime app (rumor has it)

I wouldn't waste my time - frankly.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
elwaylite

Quote:
Originally Posted by elborak View Post
It might be helpful to future readers of this thread to mention what that "little thing" was.
Just to go into the app, even though it was already linked, and link thru the app. Which seemed to sort it all out. Showed up immediately on amazon.
Directv HR44/200
Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
wmhjr

The one thing to remember is that Amazon really has no idea or information about individual Tivo boxes. Amazon simply links to your Tivo.com account. Whatever Tivo.com has properly registered and setup, Amazon can use. If you "delink" one Tivo device, typically ALL Tivo devices will disappear from Amazon. When you "link" again, ALL Tivo devices that Tivo has properly setup will show up.

Remember, what happens is that when you order an Amazon movie/show, you're actually ordering content to be downloaded from Amazon, through Tivo, to your Tivo, based on data in the Tivo.com configuration. As opposed to how all other devices work with Amazon using either download or streaming methods, Tivo proxies download content through their systems. No - repeat No - content is downloaded directly from Amazon to your Tivo without going through Tivos system. In other words, the routing for the data stream always goes through Tivo infrastructure. Tivo continuing to blame Amazon and others for this BS is simply unethical and dishonest.

Tivo constantly blames Amazon for this stuff, and it is so friggin clear that it's Tivo that it's hilarious. I have totally given up on watching Amazon content via Tivo, and have instead moved on to other non-Tivo devices.
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
elwaylite

That is odd it goes thru their infrastructure, instead of just a direct download to the Tivo. Say, like a PS3 downloads a movie from Vudu.

That being said, when setup, Amazon downloads of tv shows have been pretty reliable for me.
Directv HR44/200
Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
wmhjr

The Tivo mothership wants to control everything. A core vulnerability of the Roamio line is its dependency on a connection back to Tivo for many functions to work. I think a big reason for this goofy architecture is laziness. It was probably "quicker" to build download integration between Amazon and Tivo units by using what Tivo would consider "reliable and solid" distribution architecture that Tivo already had. This allows for "setup" to be much easier, as all Amazon has to do is authenticate into Tivo.com profiles, and let Tivo handle the individual device configuration.

The problem is that Tivo simply isn't built to handle on-demand high quality data downloads. And as timely as last night is, suffice it to say that it sure isn't the first time that Tivo has had hosting/delivery issues. And it allows Tivo to "blame" Amazon for everything - even though every other device can get to the same content with no issue... Because users are typically not aware that the download content is proxied through Tivo.

I've had CSRs that were very aware of the architecture, and knowledgeable of the issues that happen. I've also had CSRs - including the one that effectively moderates over at the Tivo.com help forum - who insist that "they know of no issues" (which considering I've got at least a dozen unresolved tickets is pure BS). My understanding (which is far from gospel) is that download will be gone in favor of just streaming with the new app, but I'm not totally sure.

But like I said, I gave up on it already and will not be going back. Other devices are just IMHO far superior to Tivo in terms of streaming. The only advantage Tivo had over Roku was optical out for surround if you need it, but I found ways around that with different devices. The Amazon Fire TV is about a million times faster than a Roamio Pro, and has optical out. The only drawback it has is not HBO Go (compared to Roku, as Tivo doesn't have that either).
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote