TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #61
kbmb

I'm wondering whether you really need the Tivo Premiere code on the account for it to work.

I have 2 Roamios, and I DO have the code on my account, or at least my bill shows Tivo Premiere Card because Comcast loyalty department was finally able to code my account where I can be in a triple play bundle without needed their DVR in the house.

However, my parents, also on Comcast, they have 2 Roamios that we just upgraded from 2 TivoHD's at Christmas......I don't think they have anything on their account related to Tivo Premiere code because prior the TivoHD boxes didn't get OnDemand. We did nothing account wise when we upgraded the Roamios other than call the CC Hotline to re-pair the cards and their OnDemand worked out of the box (once the card was paired).

I will say....after hours on the phone with Comcast trying to get the right package....the folks in the loyalty department are the ones that actually know what they are doing. I wanted 2 Roamios and have the best priced package....a triple play package with Blast and phone (although I don't use the phone). Comcast has always told me in order to have that package I needed to have their DVR in my house. I finally got the nicest lady ever at Comcast. She basically said.....No effin' way we need to do this. She researched for about 30 minutes, called me back and had my account correct with the package price and no needing the DVR. Only reason I say this is....maybe calling Comcast and asking them to transfer you to the loyalty department will get you someone who knows what they are doing. Heck, you might even get to save some money (I went from needing to upgrade and pay $220/month to locking in for 2 years at $180/month).

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #62
JonM in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I'm wondering whether you really need the Tivo Premiere code on the account for it to work.

I have 2 Roamios, and I DO have the code on my account, or at least my bill shows Tivo Premiere Card because Comcast loyalty department was finally able to code my account where I can be in a triple play bundle without needed their DVR in the house.

However, my parents, also on Comcast, they have 2 Roamios that we just upgraded from 2 TivoHD's at Christmas......I don't think they have anything on their account related to Tivo Premiere code because prior the TivoHD boxes didn't get OnDemand. We did nothing account wise when we upgraded the Roamios other than call the CC Hotline to re-pair the cards and their OnDemand worked out of the box (once the card was paired).

I will say....after hours on the phone with Comcast trying to get the right package....the folks in the loyalty department are the ones that actually know what they are doing. I wanted 2 Roamios and have the best priced package....a triple play package with Blast and phone (although I don't use the phone). Comcast has always told me in order to have that package I needed to have their DVR in my house. I finally got the nicest lady ever at Comcast. She basically said.....No effin' way we need to do this. She researched for about 30 minutes, called me back and had my account correct with the package price and no needing the DVR. Only reason I say this is....maybe calling Comcast and asking them to transfer you to the loyalty department will get you someone who knows what they are doing. Heck, you might even get to save some money (I went from needing to upgrade and pay $220/month to locking in for 2 years at $180/month).

-Kevin
It sounds like you think re-pairing the cards is the solution? The Loyalty folks can do this?
JonM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #63
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post
It sounds like you think re-pairing the cards is the solution? The Loyalty folks can do this?
No, I'm just sharing what I see between my account and my parents. And I know the loyalty folks can't re-pair cards.....last time I called even regular support they said ONLY the CC hotline people can do it. I think the only way you'd possibly what to call the loyalty department is if you want to talk to someone about the codes on your account (since the regular billing people don't seem to have a clue).

Not sure why I have codes listed on my bill and my parents don't, yet both work fine.

As for pairing the cards....I noticed when setting up my parents Tivos.....before we paired the cards, XOD was there and we could go into it....but we couldn't select anything unless the cards were paired.

-Kevin
Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #64
KevinG

Quote:
As for pairing the cards....I noticed when setting up my parents Tivos.....before we paired the cards, XOD was there and we could go into it....but we couldn't select anything unless the cards were paired.
I have the opposite experience. For a day or two my VOD worked perfectly. Then I noticed I wasn't getting HBO anymore. I called the CC hotline and they told me that none of my cable cards were paired, and that's why HBO didn't work. They re-paired them...and now I have HBO and freezing VOD.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #65
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
I have the opposite experience. For a day or two my VOD worked perfectly. Then I noticed I wasn't getting HBO anymore. I called the CC hotline and they told me that none of my cable cards were paired, and that's why HBO didn't work. They re-paired them...and now I have HBO and freezing VOD.
Curious....do you have SA cards or Motorola cards?

Both mine and my parents are in Motorola areas.

-Kevin
Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #66
KevinG

Quote:
Curious....do you have SA cards or Motorola cards? Both mine and my parents are in Motorola areas.
I have SA cards, so that could be the difference right there. Good catch.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #67
KevinG

Quote:
I have a truck roll scheduled for tomorrow. Because, at this point, that's all Comcast is offering to do. I'm almost certain that it will be a waste of time, but at this point I've already spent about 40 hours on this problem (most of it waiting on hold). Fingers crossed.
Just for completeness. It was a complete waste of time, as expected.
(It's actually worse than that, but I won't bother you with the details...)
Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #68
OCSMITH
VAWHEELS

Quote:
Just for completeness. It was a complete waste of time, as expected.
(It's actually worse than that, but I won't bother you with the details...)
Please tell us I have been reading your whole saga.......
1 Premier XL (For Sale) Lifetimed
1 TiVo Stream (For Sale)
3 Tivo Mini
3 Amazon FireTV
3 Roku 3
2 Boxee Box
OCSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #69
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSMITH View Post
Please tell us I have been reading your whole saga.......
Well, it's mostly off-topic for this thread, and everyone is already aware of how useless most truck rolls are. But it went something like this:

Appointment is scheduled for 3:00 to 5:00 PM. On Saturday. All of our plans for the weekend have been arranged around this window, as the appointment had been made a week in advance. I was warned that there would be an automated call the night before the appointment, and to make sure that we answered it and confirmed, otherwise it would automatically get cancelled.

Friday night, at 6:30 PM, caller ID says that Comcast is calling. Answer the phone. There's no one there. So, I wait 15 minutes and then call Comcast's phone tree to confirm that I still have a scheduled appointment. I do. Whew!

8:00 PM Friday night, caller ID says that it's Comcast calling again. Answer the phone. There's no one there. I run through the same check again. I still have a scheduled appointment! Whew again! ;-)

Saturday 11:00 AM, caller ID says that Comcast is calling. Answer the phone. Hey! There's an automated message telling us we have an appointment between 3 and 5. Press 1 to confirm! Wait 15 minutes, and then call the Comcast phone tree again. (because I've had a confirmed appt canceled before...) Appointment still scheduled! [At this point I was pretty pissed already. Mostly because I was told that the automated call would come on Friday...If we had been out Saturday morning and missed the call...guess what? No appointment.]

Saturday 3:00 comes and goes.

Saturday 4:00 comes and goes.

Saturday 4:50 the phone rings. It's comcast. I answer, and there's a real person on the line. "Due to hiring shortages, we're going to have to cancel your appointment today." I tell them that under no circumstances is that acceptable. He tells me that his supervisor will have to call me back. I hang up the phone, and it immediately rings again. (sometimes, my VOIP has issues like this where as soon as you end a call, the phone rings again to remind you that you still have a call on hold, even though you don't...I thought that was what was happening...but it wasn't) It's the supervisor. [I have no idea how he knew to call me yet, other than he was already working this from another angle at the same time]. He tells me that they are really short staffed, but since my appointment had been scheduled a full week in advance, they were going to try to get someone to my house.

Saturday 4:55 (I kid you not, 5 minutes after the phone call) the doorbell rings. It's the tech. (Was he waiting outside my house when the supervisor called? WTF?)

So, in the end, they actually met their requirement and had someone at my house within the 3:00 to 5:00 timeframe. But it was still useless.

The tech didn't know that TiVo's could get on-demand. I showed him the menu, and showed him the freezing. He asked if I had called TiVo to complain. I explained how well known the issue is, and offered him printouts of this thread, and the thread on the Comcast forums explaining the issue. He didn't even look at them. He called and made sure my card was paired, and they told him it was, and that all billing codes looked correct. [even though he never mentioned the billing code that I told him about]. He checked my lines. They came up good, no signal issues. He told me it was probably a faulty cable card. He didn't have an answer as to why the cable card was working fine for HBO, and that it gets on-demand when it is un-paired. I told him I was happy to accept that it was a faulty cable card if he would install a new one. He didn't have any with him. He told me the only other time he had encountered this, the problem was solved by calling TiVo. I mentioned that he had said that he didn't know that TiVo's could get on-demand, and was confused how he didn't know that if he had encountered this before...He didn't answer me.

At this point he told me he couldn't help me, and he was escalating the issue to their "TiVo experts" and that I should expect a call back that night. But since it was getting late, the call might come on Sunday. It's now Wednesday, and I haven't heard anything...VOD still doesn't work.

Somehow, I feel better after typing all of that. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #70
lessd

Quote:
Well, it's mostly off-topic for this thread, and everyone is already aware of how useless most truck rolls are. But it went something like this:

Appointment is scheduled for 3:00 to 5:00 PM. On Saturday. All of our plans for the weekend have been arranged around this window, as the appointment had been made a week in advance. I was warned that there would be an automated call the night before the appointment, and to make sure that we answered it and confirmed, otherwise it would automatically get cancelled.

Friday night, at 6:30 PM, caller ID says that Comcast is calling. Answer the phone. There's no one there. So, I wait 15 minutes and then call Comcast's phone tree to confirm that I still have a scheduled appointment. I do. Whew!

8:00 PM Friday night, caller ID says that it's Comcast calling again. Answer the phone. There's no one there. I run through the same check again. I still have a scheduled appointment! Whew again! ;-)

Saturday 11:00 AM, caller ID says that Comcast is calling. Answer the phone. Hey! There's an automated message telling us we have an appointment between 3 and 5. Press 1 to confirm! Wait 15 minutes, and then call the Comcast phone tree again. (because I've had a confirmed appt canceled before...) Appointment still scheduled! [At this point I was pretty pissed already. Mostly because I was told that the automated call would come on Friday...If we had been out Saturday morning and missed the call...guess what? No appointment.]

Saturday 3:00 comes and goes.

Saturday 4:00 comes and goes.

Saturday 4:50 the phone rings. It's comcast. I answer, and there's a real person on the line. "Due to hiring shortages, we're going to have to cancel your appointment today." I tell them that under no circumstances is that acceptable. He tells me that his supervisor will have to call me back. I hang up the phone, and it immediately rings again. (sometimes, my VOIP has issues like this where as soon as you end a call, the phone rings again to remind you that you still have a call on hold, even though you don't...I thought that was what was happening...but it wasn't) It's the supervisor. [I have no idea how he knew to call me yet, other than he was already working this from another angle at the same time]. He tells me that they are really short staffed, but since my appointment had been scheduled a full week in advance, they were going to try to get someone to my house.

Saturday 4:55 (I kid you not, 5 minutes after the phone call) the doorbell rings. It's the tech. (Was he waiting outside my house when the supervisor called? WTF?)

So, in the end, they actually met their requirement and had someone at my house within the 3:00 to 5:00 timeframe. But it was still useless.

The tech didn't know that TiVo's could get on-demand. I showed him the menu, and showed him the freezing. He asked if I had called TiVo to complain. I explained how well known the issue is, and offered him printouts of this thread, and the thread on the Comcast forums explaining the issue. He didn't even look at them. He called and made sure my card was paired, and they told him it was, and that all billing codes looked correct. [even though he never mentioned the billing code that I told him about]. He checked my lines. They came up good, no signal issues. He told me it was probably a faulty cable card. He didn't have an answer as to why the cable card was working fine for HBO, and that it gets on-demand when it is un-paired. I told him I was happy to accept that it was a faulty cable card if he would install a new one. He didn't have any with him. He told me the only other time he had encountered this, the problem was solved by calling TiVo. I mentioned that he had said that he didn't know that TiVo's could get on-demand, and was confused how he didn't know that if he had encountered this before...He didn't answer me.

At this point he told me he couldn't help me, and he was escalating the issue to their "TiVo experts" and that I should expect a call back that night. But since it was getting late, the call might come on Sunday. It's now Wednesday, and I haven't heard anything...VOD still doesn't work.

Somehow, I feel better after typing all of that. Thanks for listening.
Had about the same experience with one of my Roamio Plus units, the tech in the truck roll just put in another (Moto) cable card, paired it, and all than worked, don't know or care why, just that OD now works.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #71
vagrants

I got the Roamio Plus yesterday and started playing around.

Xfinity On Demand does not work. The CableCARD was a transfer from the older Series3. However, it does not "freeze". On all of the XOD contents, it gives me 5 seconds of viewing. If a black screen shows up first, go back to the menu and "Resume", then I see 5 seconds of images and sound; and it just stops playing. If I go back to the menu and resume again, I get another 5 seconds of viewing.

After talking to 3x to CableCARD activation department people, 2x chats (wasn't helpful. told 'em about the "code", but they always assumed the code is CableCard a0, which is a CableCard authorization and has a charge of $1.50 even if I explained "TiVo Premier" code which is separate from the CableCard a0 and has a charge of $0.00), numerous refresh signals and wait for 1 hr...

I finally found a Billing Department CSR and a Tech Support CSR who were willing to do things. Billing Department CSR tried to turn the "TiVo Premier Switch" on, but it didn't stick on my account. So, forwarded me to the Tech CSR. The Tech CSR didn't know anything about "TiVo" in general...but started to troubleshoot. At first, the tech CSR said there is no "TiVo Premier" code, etc. denying everything I've read on this forum about the XOD, then he started his own research and found that everything I've read on this forum is true.

Supposedly, XOD works like an app on Xbox's XOD. It does not go through CableCARD but directly through Internet, which fits the story of not accessing the XOD through channel 1 or channel 1001. If the switch or code does not stick to an account, the suspect may be the cable modem (a customer owned equipment or multiple cable modems in a single location). But, then it's too early to say much...it could be the CableCARD...the tech is looking into why the "switch" does not stick on my account, and I'm waiting.
vagrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #72
jmpage2

I'm pretty sure it does deliver the stream via cablecard. The internet connection might be used for authentication and determining what channel to use for delivery. If you use xod on a mini it ties up a tuner on the host Roamio.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #73
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrants View Post
Supposedly, XOD works like an app on Xbox's XOD. It does not go through CableCARD but directly through Internet, which fits the story of not accessing the XOD through channel 1 or channel 1001. If the switch or code does not stick to an account, the suspect may be the cable modem (a customer owned equipment or multiple cable modems in a single location). But, then it's too early to say much...it could be the CableCARD...the tech is looking into why the "switch" does not stick on my account, and I'm waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I'm pretty sure it does deliver the stream via cablecard. The internet connection might be used for authentication and determining what channel to use for delivery. If you use xod on a mini it ties up a tuner on the host Roamio.

To save Dan203 from having to type it yet again:

Quote:
The XFinity app is a special deal TiVo has with Comcast. It's only available in some Comcast areas, not all. This is NOT the same one you can access via XBox or iPad. That one is a subset of VOD content streamed over the internet. The TiVo app will have the full selection of VOD, just like a cable box would. The way it works is that the app is able to talk directly to your local Comcast servers via the internet but when you actually select a show it tunes to a specific channel on the cable, just like traditional VOD.
-Kevin
Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #74
vagrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
What you said is what TiVo kind of told me now (I'm on the phone with 2nd TiVo tech currently). Apparently, it goes through a CableCARD for decryption, etc. What I guessed was from what Comcast told me hours ago. New information is coming out (for me at least)...Comcast Rep, Carrie, badge ID xxx564 and her supervisor stated that Roamio will not work with XOD--only Premier. Since that conversation was 3-way (TiVo, super of the Comcast and me), TiVo heard it. And, TiVo rep took the name and the badge ID of the supervisor. However, the TiVo tech did not properly document what was said in the conversation I later discovered.

TiVo just told me that Comcast is distributing defective CableCARDs. "Auth: S" is one of the 3 requirements for the XOD to work. If you have something like "Auth: FWK" (in my case), XOD will not work according to TiVo. TiVo told me that grab 10 CableCARDs from a local Comcast office or have a technician bring 10 CableCARDs to find the one that works. According to TiVo it has nothing to do with the Comcast's billing "code" or "switch"--"TiVo Premier CableCARD install" code, which was reported numerous times here....I still believe what were reported here are correct, Comcast's magical billing code. I really don't know why Comcast's Billing & Tech who found the "switch" couldn't toggle manually. They said that when they activated it, the system rejected it--the "switch" automatically inactivated.

I'm curious, if a CableCARD or similar is required for XOD, what is happening to iPod/iPad/iPhone/android app? Is the app decrypting on-the-fly? I unplugged the ethernet cable from TiVo and it won't let me get on to the XOD app. Says no internet available.

I think the truth lies between what Comcast and TiVo said. I tend to think Comcast is distributing defective CableCARDs, but before I transferred a CableCARD from Series3 to Roamio, it had "Auth: S". And, that was 2 days ago. Now that I messed with the Comcast, the CableCARD in the Series3 shows "Auth: FWK". Also, within this 2 day period, Comcast took accessing to XOD on their top box. That was easily fixed by Comcast messing with the billing "code".

Last edited by vagrants : 01-23-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #75
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrants View Post
What you said is what TiVo kind of told me now (I'm on the phone with 2nd TiVo tech currently). Apparently, it goes through a CableCARD for decryption, etc. What I guessed was from what Comcast told me hours ago. New information is coming out (for me at least)...Comcast Rep, Carrie, badge ID xxx564 and her supervisor stated that Roamio will not work with XOD--only Premier. Since that conversation was 3-way (TiVo, super of the Comcast and me), TiVo heard it. And, TiVo rep took the name and the badge ID of the supervisor. However, the TiVo tech did not properly document what was said in the conversation I later discovered.

TiVo just told me that Comcast is distributing defective CableCARDs. "Auth: S" is one of the 3 requirements for the XOD to work. If you have something like "Auth: FWK" (in my case), XOD will not work according to TiVo. TiVo told me that grab 10 CableCARDs from a local Comcast office or have a technician bring 10 CableCARDs to find the one that works. According to TiVo it has nothing to do with the Comcast's billing "code" or "switch"--"TiVo Premier CableCARD install" code, which was reported numerous times here....I still believe what were reported here are correct, Comcast's magical billing code. I really don't know why Comcast's Billing & Tech who found the "switch" couldn't toggle manually. They said that when they activated it, the system rejected it--the "switch" automatically inactivated.

I'm curious, if a CableCARD or similar is required for XOD, what is happening to iPod/iPad/iPhone/android app? Is the app decrypting on-the-fly? I unplugged the ethernet cable from TiVo and it won't let me get on to the XOD app. Says no internet available.

I think the truth lies between what Comcast and TiVo said. I tend to think Comcast is distributing defective CableCARDs, but before I transferred a CableCARD from Series3 to Roamio, it had "Auth: S". And, that was 2 days ago. Now that I messed with the Comcast, the CableCARD in the Series3 shows "Auth: FWK". Also, within this 2 day period, Comcast took accessing to XOD on their top box. That was easily fixed by Comcast messing with the billing "code".
Depending on the ch I get FWK or S and I have no problem getting OD, Comcast in CT.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #76
rramstad

Hi there.

I have a Premiere XL (not the four tuner version, the older two tuner version) and have had the same problem with VOD described here.

I made many calls, but about two months ago, had an exchange with TiVo support that was enlightening, and from Internet searches, found many people with the same VOD problem (freezing after a few seconds) and not just TiVo users, also FIOS.

The alleged fix -- according to the Internet and TiVo support -- at least for my Premiere and my situation -- is that the signal coming into the box, from cable, is "too hot" -- they had me look up the strength in a TiVo menu, said the number was high, and that this could lead to problems for the decoder.

They told me to buy an attenuator and connect it between the TiVo box and the wall. I might have to try a few different values, but the right one should result in the VOD working and no visible signal degradation.

Other folks online suggested buying

http://www.smarthome.com/7800/Signal...Mix-Bag/p.aspx

and starting with one 20 db attenuator, and if that worked, seeing if lower values worked... basically finding the lowest value that worked, and then picking a value just slightly higher, for redundancy, was recommended.

I ordered these earlier today.

I will try to remember to come back to this thread and post with my results, but I think if you do some searching around, you'll find many examples of people online who indicate that too hot of a signal can result in VOD not working for TiVo boxes.
rramstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #77
vagrants

@lessd: that's what TiVo tech told me, Auth: must have S...and I found that it doesn't matter...XOD is working now, and I can verify that. When I first got the XOD, it was Auth: S, then when I check the next time, Auth: was FWK. Right before and after I viewed the XOD. I learned that TiVo tech is as reliable as the Comcast tech support from this nightmare.

I hate Comcast since many don't know TiVo Roamio (or Premier for this matter) is compatible with XOD. I hate TiVo because Comcast stated to the TiVo tech that only Premier is compatible, no other models on the 3-way conference call (with TiVo, Comcast and I), TiVo didn't take any actions. TiVo stated that their job is to make TiVo appear XOD icon on their devices; nothing more. But, the promise TiVo made was Roamio and Premier are compatible. Comcast was denying that, thus, the whole premise breaks...TiVo didn't care.

Anyway, I do not know exactly what made work...I changed the CableCARD. I picked 6x from the local office (I had a bitter experience w/ this particular local agent...she gave me bunch of nonsense like with TiVo, you can't watch HD, no models of TiVo are compatible w/ XOD, it'll cost me $0.30 per day per CableCARD to test them out, etc.), and very first one I chose to use made work. I did notice the part #s of the CableCARD from the pick up though: 1) 514517-012-00, 2) 514517-006-00 and 3) 541517-002-00. Part # (3) I had on my Series3 TiVo and didn't work for XOD, I decided to stay away. Either -006 or -012. I decided to use -012 because I made an assumption that 012 was released later than 006. I do not know if the Comcast "code" is account specific or device specific, but "Equipments" under My Account @ the Comcast web site clearly shows "Make & Model: TIVO MOTORHOST".

Oh, yes, it took 2 - 3 hr before XOD started working (I read somewhere that one of the member had to wait 1 hr, so that was given).

Last edited by vagrants : 01-27-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #78
KevinG

For those who think that switching their cable-card made VOD work, can any of you confirm that the card that *didn't* work was able to be paired and received a premium (HBO/Showtime/etc) channel?

I've been assuming that since my card can receive HBO then it should also be able to receive VOD, but maybe that assumption is incorrect?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #79
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
For those who think that switching their cable-card made VOD work, can any of you confirm that the card that *didn't* work was able to be paired and received a premium (HBO/Showtime/etc) channel?

I've been assuming that since my card can receive HBO then it should also be able to receive VOD, but maybe that assumption is incorrect?
Yes, that assumption is incorrect. There is an additional billing code that also needs to be associated with your account. (Being paired and thus able for you to receive HBO is also needed, but it is not sufficient.)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #80
KevinG

Well, it fixed itself.

As far as I know, nothing has changed on my account. I'm awaiting a call back from executive support to tell me what they are going to try next...but, in the meantime, it seems that comcast has pushed a new firmware to my CC, and that FIXED the problem (or so it would seem.)

I went from PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001 to PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #81
tatergator1

Quote:
Well, it fixed itself.

As far as I know, nothing has changed on my account. I'm awaiting a call back from executive support to tell me what they are going to try next...but, in the meantime, it seems that comcast has pushed a new firmware to my CC, and that FIXED the problem (or so it would seem.)

I went from PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001 to PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101.
Out of curiosity, what's your Tivo software version? A few other members noticed a software update that Tivo pushed out starting the evening of the 28th. Via a tweet, Margret indicated it was targeted to certain regions and included a workaround for a CableCard issue, but didn't elaborate about what issue. The new version is 20.3.8.1...
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #82
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Out of curiosity, what's your Tivo software version? A few other members noticed a software update that Tivo pushed out starting the evening of the 28th. Via a tweet, Margret indicated it was targeted to certain regions and included a workaround for a CableCard issue, but didn't elaborate about what issue. The new version is 20.3.8.1...
I'll check and report back this evening. It would suck if I got both updates at the same time and can't reliably report which one fixed this issue for me...but I am happy that it is working.

To be honest, I'm considering swapping out a remaining series 3 for a mini...but that would mean returning the cable-cards, and risking this whole fiasco again!

EDIT: Damn. Had the wife check...I do indeed have the 20.3.8.1 RC version. So, hard to say which of the two changes fixed VOD here. Oh well.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #83
JonM in MN

Still not working in Twin Cities

...at least as of last night. Wifey hadn't set up a series record of Sherlock and needed to get to XOD, same issue.

Not wanting to spend hours troubleshooting an issue that's a small % of our viewing, I do hope these new `fixes' being pushed help.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #84
dlongnecker

I'm having these problems on my roamio pro too. When I first got it I was impressed with how quickly it was paired and worked.

I tried the VOD and got the 5 second freeze. I called comcast support three different times and tried to give the buzzwords, but to no good.

I called tivo and they said my wifi strength wasn't good enough (my router is 20 feet away with line of site) and said I should do MoCa.

I bought that stuff, still same problem. I opened up another comcast ticket, and no good, and they said I needed to replace my cable card. I did that, and not only did I VOD freeze, I lost my premium channels.

Tivo is on 29.3.8-USA-6-840

Try again tomorrow
dlongnecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #85
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlongnecker View Post
I'm having these problems on my roamio pro too. When I first got it I was impressed with how quickly it was paired and worked.

I tried the VOD and got the 5 second freeze. I called comcast support three different times and tried to give the buzzwords, but to no good.

I called tivo and they said my wifi strength wasn't good enough (my router is 20 feet away with line of site) and said I should do MoCa.

I bought that stuff, still same problem. I opened up another comcast ticket, and no good, and they said I needed to replace my cable card. I did that, and not only did I VOD freeze, I lost my premium channels.

Tivo is on 29.3.8-USA-6-840

Try again tomorrow
I replaced an old S3 with a new Roamio. Everything worked fine on the new Roamio except VOD which would freeze after 5 seconds.

It turned out that Comcast had to make a change on the Billing end because it said I had an S3 TiVo which can’t do VOD. They changed my billing to allow VOD.

They switched my billing from the old S3 to the new Roamio and everything works as it should. Make sure the billing end is setup correctly for VOD.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #86
Davepl

FWIW, I just went through all of this and four calls later (thanks to this thread) got it solved. I can confirm that pretty much everyone at Comcast is clueless about this issue.

In fact, I only was able to get them to fix it by telling them the specific steps in this thread, and he said as much: "I had no idea but was able to follow your instructions and fix it".

Here's what I pasted into the chat; the first agent had no clue but the supervisor was able to make it through.

-----

Greetings. Please take a moment to read the description of the issue below. I believe it explains the situation in enough detail to solve it. I have also included information from the Comcast forums from other customers who encountered this and the solutions they ultimately arrived at.

There is an issue that is NEW to the "Tivo Roamio Pro" and Comcast on OnDemand. When viewing an OnDemand program it will display for about 4 seconds before freezing.

The fix for this, apparently, is to add the "TiVo Premier Cable Card Install" code to the BILLING on the account and then probably re-hit the card. Of course the card must be set to 2-way as well.

There are numerous threads on the Internet about this exact issue. The concensus is that you have to call Comcast 4-6 times until you get someone who understands the issue, because the Roamio is new (it is NOT the Premier, that's the older one).

Furthermore, it apparently must be set in TWO places in your system (or there are two places to set it, and one is required but agents often are not aware of its location in your system). Not many know about the two different places, so the average agent will see it set in the one place and give up.

Here are two quotes from the Comcast forums:

"The trick is getting the right Comcast support person to help you. They will look at your account and say that the code is correct. The problem is there seems to be more than one place to set the billing code in their system, and very few of the support reps know how to find where the second code needs to be set, and while you can tell them there is another place to set the code till you're blue in the face, the first level reps aren't always resourceful enough to find it. I've had 3 reps try, and they will even ask their higher level techs about it, but the higher level techs often don't know about it either."

And here is one from a Comcast customer that was successful in finding an agent to fix it:

"I caved in and called the Comcast CableCard line. In under 5 minutes, the issue was resolved for me. There was -one tiny additional setting- (apparently) that needed to be configured to show that I could support Xfinity OnDemand that had not been toggled when I moved the CableCard to my Roamio from my TiVoHD on Tuesday. When I called just now to say that all other channels were fine, and that my symptoms were that an OnDemand show would play for a few seconds and then stop, the woman on the phone sighed knowingly, and and said, "just one moment, sir..." then asked me to try again. All was well."

Last edited by Davepl : 02-09-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #87
ncfoster

I really wish that we even had VOD in the Chicagoland area, but I don't really want to go through all of this when and if we do get it.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #88
Davepl

In my case my alternative is the old Motorola box, which is just brutal for usability, so I was very happy to find out that the Roamio could do OnDemand (once fixed). I didn't even know that when I bought it, but the UI is way better than the old Motorola, so it's worth the trouble I think.
Davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #89
JonM in MN

This seems to be the consensus: It's the billing code, once that's added the problem goes away. I believe one other user said the combination of a Tivo update and a cable card update solved his issue.

Question. The billing code initially fixed my issue and it's come back. Has anyone had the code fall off their account, and had it re-added with success?

Has anyone else has the updates fix the issue?

Was hoping for a quick/easy fix before I wade back in the the swamp that is Comcast customer service.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #90
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post
This seems to be the consensus: It's the billing code, once that's added the problem goes away. I believe one other user said the combination of a Tivo update and a cable card update solved his issue.

Question. The billing code initially fixed my issue and it's come back. Has anyone had the code fall off their account, and had it re-added with success?

Has anyone else has the updates fix the issue?

Was hoping for a quick/easy fix before I wade back in the the swamp that is Comcast customer service.
There are two Comcast requirements: one is the billing code and the other is that the cablecard is paired. I haven't heard of the billing code disappearing (though I'm sure it's possible), but if you've done anything different with the cable card, possibly it lost its pairing?