TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
unknownpa

TiVo Roamio???

Hi all. New to this forum. I recently have a leased TiVo "T6" (which I've heard is just a rebadged Roamio Plus???) from Atlantic Broadband.

Now, my question is, why does my cable-leased TiVo seem to be lacking several features (no app store is a biggie, among other things)? I thought these features were added in software updates that are installed automatically. Are cable-provider leased TiVos running custom software?

Also, has there been any news about the SkipMode and other features from the Bolt coming to the Roamio?

Thanks so much.

Best regards,
unknown

unknownpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
atmuscarella

Yes your T-6 hardware is the same as a Roamio Plus but the software on a cable company leased T-6 has been customized per that cable company requirements. What apps, features, and software updates you get is up to your cable company.

So no idea if you will be getting SkipMode or not. Also TiVo doesn't have an app store per say, any apps your cable company is allowing are on your unit.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
unknownpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Yes the software on a cable company leased T-6 has been customized per that cable company requirements. What apps, features, and software updates you get is up to your cable company.

So no idea if you will be getting SkipMode or not. Also TiVo doesn't have an app store per say, any apps your cable company is allowing are on your unit.
Well that's great. Atlantic Broadband is notoriously bad with software. And I heard that retail TiVos have an Opera App Store?

And has there been any news about SkipMode coming to retail Roamios?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownpa View Post
Well that's great. Atlantic Broadband is notoriously bad with software. And I heard that retail TiVos have an Opera App Store?

And has there been any news about SkipMode coming to retail Roamios?
SkipMode is being deployed on retail Roamios at this moment (many have it already). The Opera App "store" is on retail Roamios but it is not like a Roku app store you don't install apps, what ever is available is there. The primary apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube, HBo, Go, Vudu, etc.) are stand alone and found in the My shows area, lessor apps are in another section.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
unknownpa

Quote:
SkipMode is being deployed on retail Roamios at this moment (many have it already). The Opera App "store" is on retail Roamios but it is not like a Roku app store you don't install apps, what ever is available is there. The primary apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube, HBo, Go, Vudu, etc.) are stand alone and found in the My shows area, lessor apps are in another section.
Thank you for the news.

I have a complaint about the TiVo interface, however. It's very inconvenient to have to scroll the entire way to the bottom of the "My Shows" view to see primary applications. They should all just be under "Find TV, Movies, etc." or whatever that menu option is called or TiVo should just put it all under apps IMHO. As a person who is new to TiVo, the GUI is very confusing.

Additionally, I hate the fact that my cable provider has basic apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Plex, HSN, AOL On, Web Video Hotlist (whatever that is) and Yahoo. That's literally the only streaming stuff that's on this TiVo. Is there any way to load retail firmware on a cable provider TiVo?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
atmuscarella

Quote:
Thank you for the news.

I have a complaint about the TiVo interface, however. It's very inconvenient to have to scroll the entire way to the bottom of the "My Shows" view to see primary applications. They should all just be under "Find TV, Movies, etc." or whatever that menu option is called or TiVo should just put it all under apps IMHO. As a person who is new to TiVo, the GUI is very confusing.

Additionally, I hate the fact that my cable provider has basic apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Plex, HSN, AOL On, Web Video Hotlist (whatever that is) and Yahoo. That's literally the only streaming stuff that's on this TiVo. Is there any way to load retail firmware on a cable provider TiVo?
No way to load any other software and have it work. TiVo's don't have a large number of apps, if you know what you are looking for we could tell you if it is available on a retail TiVo.

There are ways to change the My Shows area. If you go to a 3 pain/section view you can improve the easy to get to apps. Also if you push the skip forward and replay buttons while in MY Shows they will move you from the top to the bottom of your shows lists and vise versa.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 02-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
unknownpa

Quote:
No way to load any other software and have it work. TiVo's don't have a large number of apps, if you know what you are looking for we could tell you if it is available on a retail TiVo.

There are ways to change the My Shows area. If you go to a 3 pain/section view you can improve the easy to get to apps. Also if you push the skip forward and replay buttons while in MY Shows they will move you from the top to the bottom of your shows lists and vise versa.
How do you add a 3rd column view??

Old 02-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
atmuscarella

Quote:
How do you add a 3rd column view??
In My Shows push the yellow "A" button on your remote, it will bring up a menu, add the Left Column and customize the categories - keep All & Video Providers (and any other you want).

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 02-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #9
tim1724

Quote:
The skip forward button ->| will jump to the bottom of the list. (This works in any list in the TiVo interface. If you're already at the bottom and you press it again, it goes back to the top.)

The apps also show up in the "Find TV, movies, & videos" menu.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
unknownpa

Quote:
In My Shows push the yellow "A" button on your remote, it will bring up a menu, add the Left Column and customize the categories - keep All & Video Providers (and any other you want).
I wish I never leased any TiVos from Atlantic Broadband because they all seem to be running a dumbed-down version of the TiVo software. I should have just bought the $1,500 of equipment they installed (TiVo T6 (Roamio Plus) and 6 TiVo Minis, which I would like to get some more of to install on the remaining TVs)...

They also made me lease a new Cisco modem/router from them which I thought was very unnecessary given the fact that I can just use the Roamio as the source for the MOCA network instead of the Cisco modem/router (that's why they installed the Cisco device, to provide the MOCA network, but the funny thing is the channel they had it on was receiving interference so I just use the Roamio as my bridge anyway).