TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
tootal2

does tivo roamio have better ota reception then tivo hd

I just got a 50.00 gift card for best buy so im think of getting a roamio to replace my TiVo hd. There are 2 channels I cant get on my TiVo hd. will the reception be better on roamio?
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:08 AM   #2
Series3Sub

Roamio has better OTA than Premiere. Also, the Roamio has 4 OTA tuners.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I just got a 50.00 gift card for best buy so im think of getting a roamio to replace my TiVo hd. There are 2 channels I cant get on my TiVo hd. will the reception be better on roamio?
My Roamio has slightly better reception than my TiVo HD but if the TiVo HD can not get the channels at all I wouldn't expect the Roamio to get them good enough to watch. It isn't like the reception difference between the Roamio and Premiere which is significant.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Where are you, what channels and what antenna are you using. There are a few networks still broadcasting in the high vhf band. In Dallas that's Wfaa ABC is actually in the high VHF band. A UHF HD antenna wont do it.

A visit to http://www.antennapoint.com/ may be helpful, I was unable to get WB 33 in Dallas before I corrected that problem.

I use am Antenas Direct C4 and a C5 in combination with a CPA19 I'm 30 miles from the hill top and buildings, airport lots of ground clutter lay between me at the broadcasters
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
tootal2

I can get the channels if I move the antenna but that wont work on a dvr. Im going to try a bigger antenna next week. im using a cs2. I wish I could mount a antenna on my condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
Where are you, what channels and what antenna are you using. There are a few networks still broadcasting in the high vhf band. In Dallas that's Wfaa ABC is actually in the high VHF band. A UHF HD antenna wont do it.

A visit to http://www.antennapoint.com/ may be helpful, I was unable to get WB 33 in Dallas before I corrected that problem.

I use am Antenas Direct C4 and a C5 in combination with a CPA19 I'm 30 miles from the hill top and buildings, airport lots of ground clutter lay between me at the broadcasters

Old 01-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Teeps

Quote:
I can get the channels if I move the antenna but that wont work on a dvr. Im going to try a bigger antenna next week. im using a cs2. I wish I could mount a antenna on my condo
Hey tootal2,
Didn't you get a Ceton pc card tuner a while back?

Far as installing an antenna on the condo.
The FCC, says the condo association cannot prohibit you from installing an OTA antenna on the building.

Roamio tuner (recently purchased a Roamio basic) is excellent!
Roamio tunes all Los Angeles local stations, using a 4 bay bowtie antenna that is in the house, sitting about 6 feet off the floor!
My S3 648250 would only tune 2, 4 & 5 with the same antenna.

My advice pop the extra 100 and get a Roamio basic, assuming it can be had for 149. That way you can use either OTA or cable.
Plus you can get a life time subscription; which with the $50 OTA is not offered....
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
tootal2

I have a ceton in my computer and a TiVo hd in my bedroom with a atenna.
it would be nice to update my computer to windows 8 or 10. but im stuck on windows 7 because of ceton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Hey tootal2,
Didn't you get a Ceton pc card tuner a while back?

Far as installing an antenna on the condo.
The FCC, says the condo association cannot prohibit you from installing an OTA antenna on the building.

Roamio tuner (recently purchased a Roamio basic) is excellent!
Roamio tunes all Los Angeles local stations, using a 4 bay bowtie antenna that is in the house, sitting about 6 feet off the floor!
My S3 648250 would only tune 2, 4 & 5 with the same antenna.

My advice pop the extra 100 and get a Roamio basic, assuming it can be had for 149. That way you can use either OTA or cable.
Plus you can get a life time subscription; which with the $50 OTA is not offered....