TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
jasonbradley

Replacing old TIVO; MOCA help

Question: Before I go purchase two new TIVO devices, will MoCA enable streaming between the devices in the future setup?

Current setup:

No cable to the house.

Antenna on roof. Single coax cable to splitter outside house at first floor. One coax cable from splitter to TV in basement. One coax cable from splitter to old TIVO on first floor. (TIVO viewing on first floor only.)

Future setup:

Antenna on roof. Single coax cable to splitter outside house at first floor. One coax cable from splitter to Roamio OTA in basement. Roamio OTA connected to internet via ethernet to router. One coax cable from splitter to TIVO mini on first floor.

Thanks in advance!

jasonbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Yes, MoCA would do what you need, but, the Roamio OTA is not capable of creating the MoCA network, you will need a MoCA adapter connected to your wired network, and then connected somehow to the coax that goes to the mini.

h2oskierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
Yes, MoCA would do what you need, but, the Roamio OTA is not capable of creating the MoCA network, you will need a MoCA adapter connected to your wired network, and then connected somehow to the coax that goes to the mini.
Or if the rooms are right above and below each other and it's an easy path, just run an ethernet cable from your router to the mini on the first floor.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
jasonbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Or if the rooms are right above and below each other and it's an easy path, just run an ethernet cable from your router to the mini on the first floor.
Sadly, they are close, but the wire fishing required would be difficult.

jasonbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #5
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbradley View Post
Sadly, they are close, but the wire fishing required would be difficult.
Any way to run it on the exterior using properly rated CAT 5e/6 ethernet cables, similar to how it sounds your RF coax is run from the antenna?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #6
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Any way to run it on the exterior using properly rated CAT 5e/6 ethernet cables, similar to how it sounds your RF coax is run from the antenna?
At that point, if it was me, I would run the MoCA setup. I hate running cables like that. Either way would function basically the same.

With MoCA for an OTA setup where there is no broadband cable into the home, are POE filters still needed? I am assuming no...

h2oskierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
At that point, if it was me, I would run the MoCA setup. I hate running cables like that. Either way would function basically the same. With MoCA for an OTA setup where there is no broadband cable into the home, are POE filters still needed? I am assuming no...
There was talk about this before and I think the consensus was it was still a good thing to do because the filter helps contain the signal within its coax system, keeping it more robust and stable. If the filter isn't in place it could cause VSWR reflections when it hits the antenna and even possibly some slight low level RF radiation out of the antenna itself.

There's a thread talking about it somewhere if you want to search some.