TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
adsouthpaw

HELP: Welcome! Starting up... - possible hard drive issue

Hi everyone - hoping for some suggestions on any possible Roamio recovery. Have had a Roamio Pro for several months. I replaced the hard drive day one with a 2TB Seagate Pipeline HD I had used successfully in my 4XL. A few weeks ago, started having issues during show playback where it would hang for 20-30s then start again. Yesterday, woke up to "Welcome! Starting Up" screen. Powered off and back on successfully. Now this morning, I can't seem to get past it. It goes from "Welcome! Starting Up" to the "Almost There" screen then back to "Welcome! Starting Up."

Am I sunk? Is it possible that there's some underlying chkdsk or similar process happening that needs to complete? Is there anything else I can do? I'm fine with replacing the drive, but I'd desperately love to grab my season passes and any recoverable shows from the current one.

Thanks!
adsouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsouthpaw View Post
Is it possible that there's some underlying chkdsk or similar process happening that needs to complete? Is there anything else I can do? I'm fine with replacing the drive, but I'd desperately love to grab my season passes and any recoverable shows from the current one.
If you want to attempt a rescue, I'd give SpinRite a try. SpinRite is probably your only hope at recovery.

SpinRite is about $80. You'll remove the hard drive from the TiVo, connect it to a Windows PC running SpinRite. Recovery may be anywhere from a few hours to dozens of hours -- depending how how sick the drive is.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
adsouthpaw

I might give SpinRite a try. Curious, if I use SpinRite, can I just put another drive temporarily in the Tivo so I can watch and record shows while the original drive is attempting repair? Then put the repaired drive back when done?

BTW, I have tried kickstart 54 & 57. It takes the codes, flashes fast, but then just sits at "Welcome! Starting up..." This would seem to put the nail in the coffin in regards to hard drive failure I assume.
adsouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsouthpaw View Post
I might give SpinRite a try. Curious, if I use SpinRite, can I just put another drive temporarily in the Tivo so I can watch and record shows while the original drive is attempting repair? Then put the repaired drive back when done?
I'd go ahead and put in another drive and start fresh.

If SpinRite fixes the first drive you can then decide which drive to go with long term. If SpinRite can't fix the first drive, well -- your TiVo is up and running. End of story.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
squint

Remove the drive, connect it to a PC, and run the manufacturer's diagnostics.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote