TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
Game Master

I have a grate idea for the Roamio or a new TiVo

Have an editing system built into the TiVo, where you can edit out commercials, saving you more space for the stuff you want.

Lets say you record the news for 3 hours, but the part you want is only 10 minuets. You can delete the part you don't want/care about.
Game Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Chris Gerhard

I would like that feature but the chances we see it are approximately zero.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Master View Post
Have an editing system built into the TiVo, where you can edit out commercials, saving you more space for the stuff you want.

Lets say you record the news for 3 hours, but the part you want is only 10 minuets. You can delete the part you don't want/care about.
One of the reasons that TiVo survived as a DVR company, is because they don't alter the recording. ReplayTV had an automatic commercial skip feature in their DVR, and were successfully sued by broadcasters. Dish Hopper also had (has?) a commercial skip feature and was sued.

As a TiVo user, I'd love to have your feature built into the software, but it's not going to happen.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

When I read the thread title, I immediately pictured grilling a steak on my TiVo. Yum!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I don't think it's really needed. I can already get past the commercials in a few seconds. Plus the commercials don't really take up that much space anyway. I'm not concerned too much with editing out commercials. And if I really need to I can already transfer the content to a PC and have VideoReDo edit out the commercials. ANd if I had a situation like you mentioned, 10 minutes of content that I wanted to save. VideoReDo is how I would accomplish it. No need for the TiVo to mess with it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
When I read the thread title, I immediately pictured grilling a steak on my TiVo. Yum!
I was picturing Tivo-brand shredded mozzarella.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I have a grate idea for the Roamio or a new TiVo
Cheese?

Quote:
That is never going to happen. TiVo would piss off CableLabs and content providers... something they really can't afford to do (unfortunately). Besides, there are a lot of other more important things that should have a higher priority.... and based on the speed at which things actually change, TiVo has a backlog of decades.

Where is my Android streaming video?
Where is my cloud-backed up settings?
Where are my custom folders?
Where is the real web/html control interface?
Where is adjustable playback speed?
Where is adjustable font sizes?
Where is a stable VOD/SDV setup?
Where is Amazon streaming video?
Etc....
Old 08-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I was picturing Tivo-brand shredded mozzarella.
I was seriously thinking of TiVo making storm drain covers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
.........Where is my Android streaming video? Where is my cloud-backed up settings? Where are my custom folders? Where is the real web/html control interface? Where is adjustable playback speed? Where is adjustable font sizes? Where is a stable VOD/SDV setup? Where is Amazon streaming video? Etc....
Where's the beef?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Where is my Android streaming video?
Where is Amazon streaming video?
Etc....
There is often a lot of disagreement about what would bring value to the larger community - above I think you hit three obvious ones.

But if rumors are to be believed, two of the three are very close to delivery!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
tomhorsley

Quote:
That's the big one I want. No more poorly implemented apps that only work on one platform - anything with a web browser could control the TiVo. I was hoping the re-write of the interface might be HTML5 and javascript so the exact same interface could run on the browser in the TiVo and the browser in anything else just as well, but at least they did manage to finally make it run fast.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 AM   #11
docprego

The weakest aspect of the TiVo experience for me by far is the web interface. It looks like something from 10 years ago. Not only that it's unbearably slow. They could do so much with a talented programmer tapping into the full potential of the Roamio. Instead we get a joke of an interface.
docprego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post
The weakest aspect of the TiVo experience for me by far is the web interface. It looks like something from 10 years ago. Not only that it's unbearably slow. They could do so much with a talented programmer tapping into the full potential of the Roamio. Instead we get a joke of an interface.
You mean the index page from your TiVo or TiVo.com?

I also want a replacement for TiVo 2 Go... Frankly a port of the IOS app wol be just about perfect.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
One of the reasons that TiVo survived as a DVR company, is because they don't alter the recording. ReplayTV had an automatic commercial skip feature in their DVR, and were successfully sued by broadcasters. Dish Hopper also had (has?) a commercial skip feature and was sued.

As a TiVo user, I'd love to have your feature built into the software, but it's not going to happen.
Disney has dropped suit against Dish Hopper. The 9th's stated logic in the ruling upholding the lower courts ruling NOT to issue a preliminary injunction makes it pretty clear the broadcasters have no case and will lose. In fact, the 9th even stated that in the ruling. What we are going to see is the Disney/Dish model: No Auto-hop for first 3 days, as that is the only period that the ads count. Then they will really hunker down for the real issue: digital rights.

But you are correct: TiVo's strategy from day one was to place themselves as partners with the content owners and MSO's, and editing software just runs counter to it. Also, it would be pretty expensive to add editing software. Further, none of the DVR makers see their devices as archiving devices for programming, but rather as devices for trick play and viewing of can't miss shows that people watch pretty soon after recording and as playback devices. They likely view the commercial skip button (skip ahead 30 seconds) as fulfilling the notion of "editing out" commercials.

If I remember correctly, the TiVo units that had the DVD Recording capability had no way of editing out the commercials like regular DVD recording units did at the time. I think one could save a recording to DVD with the TiVo units, but it included all the commercials.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #14
docprego

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
You mean the index page from your TiVo or TiVo.com?

I also want a replacement for TiVo 2 Go... Frankly a port of the IOS app wol be just about perfect.
Specifically talking about TiVo.com web pages.
docprego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post
Specifically talking about TiVo.com web pages.
Meh, for the most part that is just marketing stuff - I don't use it enough to care one way or the other.

Tivo2go hasn't been updated in what feels like a decade! A web based version of the IOS app is desperately needed. Android Stream, Amazon Stream, maybe something like Vudu - that is what will bring value.

Do you use the TiVo web page for all your remote scheduling, etc? Most of us use the IOS or android apps - far more functionality...

And we are requesting a web port of those tools, including stream.

TiVo.com isn't that bad - I have definitely seen a lot worse.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-26-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #16
BriHiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I can already get past the commercials in a few seconds.
I think everyone will agree with you.
Quote:
Plus the commercials don't really take up that much space anyway.
That one's a bit harder to swallow. If someone filled up to a 3 TB hard drive with commercial included shows you will be wasting 1 TB just for commercials. Most shows contain 30% to 33% commercials.
Quote:
I'm not concerned too much with editing out commercials. And if I really need to I can already transfer the content to a PC and have VideoReDo edit out the commercials.
That is a great option but most won't have the time to do that. It would be faster just to watch through the commercials.
Being a text savvy person I agree with you. But most people want a easier solution (even me).

Last edited by BriHiFi : 08-27-2014 at 06:49 AM.
BriHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #17
BriHiFi

Quote:
I think the key word here is automatic.

I don't know how much relevance it would have but I own a Mac Mini with EyeTV DVR software on it. It allows me to record over the air broadcast television and edit out commercials. I use this as an alternative to my TiVo, as it is an easier process to export the edited shows to iTunes. All within the same software. I haven't heard of them ever being sued.

Quote:
I agree. I don't think having that same ability on a TiVo would be worth it. As it is a lot easier to edit video on the computer.
BriHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote