TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
jimcarver

MocA question

(I also posted this in the Premier Forum)
I just purchased a Roamio Pro and streaming to my iPad and phone using an Ethernet/Moca network works most of the time. I would also like to add my Premier (2 tuner) to the Moca network so I can do the same and also do transfers between the 2 boxes but I don't know if adding a Moca Adapter to the Premiere will do the trick. Tivo says it will. They say to add an adaptor and add the Premier to the Moca network: "If you are changing your TiVo box's connection method to MocA, go to 'Settings' > 'Network' > 'Change Network Settings.' Then choose 'Connect using MocA.'' Presently there is no option on the Premier under Change Network Settings for Moca. Will this option be there after I add the adaptor?? And will this then make streaming and transfers happen? Presently the wireless network the Premier is on is too slow to do this.
Also, if I change my gateway/router to Moca capable (I think Xfinity has one) will I still need the Moca adaptor on the Premiere?
Any input is appreciated.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Four tuner premiers and all Roamios have a Moca adapter/bridge built in.

When you get a Moca adapter, it provides you with an Ethernet jack to plug devices into, basically bridging the two networks. Networking setup at that point from inside the premiere is essentially the same as if it was on an all-Ethernet network.

Are you currently using the Roamio to bridge the networks? Getting a router that can provide a Moca bridge will simply move the point where the bridge is. It would then give you the choice to connect your Roamio to connect via either network. Just don't leave it connected to both in this configuration, as having two active bridges causes packet routing chaos.

The premiere would still ether need Ethernet run to it, or a bridge to provide it with Ethernet since it doesn't have Moca functionality built in. Note that with a Ethernet switch added, you can even share this networking with other devices in that space.

Also, the moca bridges work "both ways", so if you got a router with a Moca bridge built-in and connect to your router via moca, you could use the Ethernet jack on the Roamio to provide networking to other devices in the area.

----
Note that the mini is the other variant in functionality, since it can connect via Ethernet or Moca networking, but it can't bridge the networks the way the full tivos can.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Four tuner premiers and all Roamios have a Moca adapter/bridge built in.
The 4-tuner base Roamio does not have MoCA built in. It requires a MoCA adapter.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

oops
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
jimcarver

Ignad just totally confused me.

Here's what I have:

Roamio Pro connected via Ethernet to Xfinity gateway/modem.
Roamio network setting is Ethernet + Moca
Premier (2 tuner as I originally said). Network setting is Wireless N with no option for Ethernet + Moca

Will connecting a Moca adaptor to the Premier allow me to connect to the Moca network and allow me to stream between Tivos?

Thanks.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
Ignad just totally confused me.

Here's what I have:

Roamio Pro connected via Ethernet to Xfinity gateway/modem.
Roamio network setting is Ethernet + Moca
Premier (2 tuner as I originally said). Network setting is Wireless N with no option for Ethernet + Moca

Will connecting a Moca adaptor to the Premier allow me to connect to the Moca network and allow me to stream between Tivos?

Thanks.
Yes, the Premiere will see a normal ethernet hardwired connection. No settings for the MOCA needed. I have 2 set up this way now.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote