TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
jeff92k7

Stream from inactive premiere

I just bought a new Roamio to replace one of our two old Premieres. The hard drive is going bad in the Premiere we replaced and it was cheaper to just buy a new Roamio OTA than to buy a new hard drive and deal with all the hassles.

However, can I still stream recorded content FROM the old premiere once I deactivate the service plan? (so long as the hard drive lasts, of course).

jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
I just bought a new Roamio to replace one of our two old Premieres. The hard drive is going bad in the Premiere we replaced and it was cheaper to just buy a new Roamio OTA than to buy a new hard drive and deal with all the hassles.

However, can I still stream recorded content FROM the old premiere once I deactivate the service plan? (so long as the hard drive lasts, of course).
With deactivated service, you would only be able to watch existing recordings on the Premiere by viewing them on the TV the Premiere is connected to.

Streaming from one Tivo box to another requires active subscriptions on both boxes.

tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
HarperVision

I would call TiVo to cancel service on the premiere and they may offer you lifetime service for $99. How long has it been in service?

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I would call TiVo to cancel service on the premiere and they may offer you lifetime service for $99. How long has it been in service?
I've had it for right at four years. I did call to cancel it and they offered me the $99 lifetime on it, or a discount to $9.99/mo service. Neither option really interests me since I don't need it anymore. Why would I pay them more money for something I don't use?

I briefly looked at feeBay and TCD746320's with lifetime aren't even getting offers at $200. It wouldn't even be worth it to deal with the hassle of getting lifetime and trying to sell it only to sell it for maybe $150 (if I'm lucky).

TiVo also said they could get me discounts on my other existing Premiere, but we're very likely going to replace that with a TiVO mini in the next few months, so paying for lifetime on that now doesn't make much sense either.

jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

You buy it to sell the box for more than the difference. A box on its own is only worth like $25, with lifetime that jumps to $250 or more.