TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
john4200

The Newsroom S02E09 "Election Night, Part 2" 2013-Sep-15

Hmmm, did The Newsroom suddenly become a fairy tale or a Disney movie? I cannot remember the last season finale -- for any show -- that had such a sappy, sweet ending.

I couldn't tell whether the Michigan call that Jim made early turned out being correct or not. Was that the final vote tally on the computer screen?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

I froze it and went back, and yes, their call won by around 30-40 votes.

I love Sorkinese, but at times he gets just a little too pat & snappy for me. Still a very entertaining show, but about once or twice an episode (and especially last night) I call out for him to dial it back, just a bit.

And yes, we had everything but sparkly unicorns last night.

I did like how every time Sloan was about to talk, Will would cut in. And she finally called him on it, and he had some witty Sorkinest reply.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Satchel

I just want next season to be about Sloan and Don and Charlie, who I'd love so see start dating Jane Fonda.

The rest of the cast can die in a bus crash.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
debtoine
WTTWDC

I liked the episode, regardless of the sap-level.

The scene with Reese and Charlie in the newsroom was classic. And yes, the Sloan interruptions were great... and when she yelled out "Come on!" I actually laughed out loud!

T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
debtoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And yes, we had everything but sparkly unicorns last night.
the good - at least the angst between will and mcmac is resolved, and a different story line is set for season 3. and someone finally spoke to maggie about her cutting her own hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtoine View Post
The scene with Reese and Charlie in the newsroom was classic. And yes, the Sloan interruptions were great... and when she yelled out "Come on!" I actually laughed out loud!
me, too! i also liked when sloan deduced who bid on her book, and don threatening to countersue jerry - awesome.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
busyba
The Funcooker

All I could think while watching the proposal scene was that everyone who said that there was zero romantic chemistry between Will and Mac were totally vindicated when they kissed.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
All I could think while watching the proposal scene was that everyone who said that there was zero romantic chemistry between Will and Mac were totally vindicated when they kissed.
Felt like watching siblings kiss. Yucch!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker

Also, when Will was responding to the ex-Romney staffer's question about why he thinks he can call himself a republican, I hope aindik was listening.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I couldn't tell whether the Michigan call that Jim made early turned out being correct or not. Was that the final vote tally on the computer screen?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...012#District_1

The vote was as close as the stats woman said it would be, but her call was correct. Because of the Libertarian and Green candidates, the winner didn't get 50% of the total vote, but it probably would have taken too long to explain if she had said it would be 48% to 47%.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
My theory, given the quality of the actors involved, was that the awkwardness of their chemistry was deliberate because of the awkwardness of their relationship, and therefore it was brilliant, Emmy-worthy acting.

So much for that theory...
Old 09-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
busyba
The Funcooker

Has Jeff Daniels ever played a romantic lead before? Maybe it's him.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
What was with Will and "the ($250,000) ring was a practical joke?"

Way to get her, buddy.

He should have told her he sent out an intern to buy the ring again.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
smak
TV MA SLV

There's no reason to use a cover of a classic song by a great artist.

WTF at ending the show like that, and not use the real song.

Yuck.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post

I don't have as big a problem with using a cover as you do, but I did not like the particular cover they used at all. I would have preferred the Townshend album version. But (assuming it was not just a cost or licensing issue) I suppose I can see why they would think the Townshend album version is too gimicky for the atmosphere they were going for in the show. Even so, there is an unaccompanied version by Townshend that is not gimicky:

Pete Townshend-Let My Love Open The Door
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Last edited by john4200 : 09-16-2013 at 05:41 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post

Yuck.

-smak-
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I don't have as big a problem with it as you do, but I did not like the remake they used at all. I would have preferred the Townshend album version. But (assuming it was not just a cost or licensing issue) I suppose I can see why they would think that version is too gimicky for the atmosphere they were going for. Even so, there is an unaccompanied version by Townshend:

Townsend
THANK YOU. It ranks pretty high on my "worst covers" list. And they didn't just play a snippet of it, it sounded like they played the whole thing! Bad idea, all around.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Idearat

I'm usually bored and annoyed with the love story soap opera bits but I wasn't bothered by this week's goings on. Having things move forward bother me less than dragging on forever. I did like Sloan's direct and wordless resolution of both the book and Don issues, it seemed very consistent with how she handled the guy who posted her pictures.

The too close to call election ended up going their way by a margin of 27 votes.

As this episode was completed before they announced that the show had been renewed I'm not surprised so many things got wrapped up with happy endings. There was a very much a feel of a series finale to it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see nothing of the Genoa/Dantana fiasco next year, other than a reference to it in the past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00001.jpg (14.8 KB, 182 views)
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm going to defend the use of the Townshend cover.

Lyrically, it's a beautiful song, and the sentiment fit the mood set at the end of the show. Those of us of a certain age, had the original been played, would be taken in by our memories of the song from its heyday. Those who are younger might well not know the song at all, or have no ties to it, and the cover version conveyed the great lyrics more clearly than the classic, while still paying homage to a really good song.

Now, as for the other stuff, well...

- To those who could never see Will and Mac together: The reality was even worse than the "fantasy". The awkwardness (which I'm sure was scripted) didn't work, it just looked awkward.
- Sloan got her man (which was great), but since we're going to fill the rest of the last half of the episode with sugar and honey, she should have stormed off of the set while they were live and went into the control room to get some more of "that".
- It had some good moments, but it wasn't finale material. I hope things will go better next season. As I'm not a Sorkin devotee, it's a little humerous to see the incredible loyalty to him, but then again, I haven't watched The West Wing yet (I have the DVD set)

Bottom line, I'm still in, but they've got to get their balls back.

Brad
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

I enjoyed this episode. And maybe I need to rewatch S1 but I think the character playing Don really stepped it up this season.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm going to defend the use of the Townshend cover.

Lyrically, it's a beautiful song, and the sentiment fit the mood set at the end of the show. Those of us of a certain age, had the original been played, would be taken in by our memories of the song from its heyday. Those who are younger might well not know the song at all, or have no ties to it, and the cover version conveyed the great lyrics more clearly than the classic, while still paying homage to a really good song.
I don't have a problem with them using a cover at all, in fact, I'm a huge fan of great covers.

This wasn't a great cover. It did a good job of making the lyrics heard, but the singer is the kind of guy I absolutely hate, who doesn't sing the way he does because that's his voice. He's affecting it, attempting to convey emotion when there is none. It's not natural emotion, it's poor acting via vocal style.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #20
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Also, when Will was responding to the ex-Romney staffer's question about why he thinks he can call himself a republican, I hope aindik was listening.
I did a Homer-style "woohoo!" when he brought up the "loyal opposition" line. Both sides do it and is the reason why I no longer discuss politics or admit my political views to anyone (other than to the ballot box).

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #21
aindik

The Newsroom S02E09 "Election Night, Part 2" 2013-Sep-15

Quote:
:meh: It was half a sentence long.

Rest of the episode was very good though. I was happy for Will and Mac and hope this show bucks the trend of shows jumping the shark when the "will they or won't they" couple gets together.

Mac McAvoy is much funnier than Gary Cooper.

I think this was written like a show that didn't know it was coming back, except the very last moment with Maggie clicking the news alert about Beijing.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I watched this half asleep so I'll say the episode was meh, but I'll probably rewatch again more awake.

Yes, I'm one of those who said that Mac and Will have NO chemistry and I feel extremely vindicated (although I don't think too many here disagreed with me). In fact that whole proposal was the one thing that REALLY pissed me off about this season, which I didn't think was as good as the first). Really? Did you HAVE to do this Sorkin? Do you have to prove over and over that love stories aren't your thing? (Although I do admit that I thought Natalie and Jeremy were cute together on Sports Night). That may have been one of the worst proposals in the history of TV. Not only is their no spark between the actors, but the whole thing felt contrived.

Maybe after I rewatch this episode I'll change my mind, but I'm on the fence about watching next season. It seems especially meh after watching Boardwalk Empire right before this. I get these are two different types of shows, but B.E. is just so much more compelling.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

In a way Sorkin reminds me of JMS in the way he writes relationships, although whereas Sorkin writes like he learned everything he knows about relationships at the movies, JMS writes them like he learned everything in Junior High.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
In a way Sorkin reminds me of JMS in the way he writes relationships, although whereas Sorkin writes like he learned everything he knows about relationships at the movies, JMS writes them like he learned everything in Junior High.
Forgive my ignorance, who's JMS?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

That was a cover song? Who sang the original?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #26
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
That was a cover song? Who sang the original?
Pete Townsend, best known as the lead song writer (and lead guitarist) for The Who. There is a clip of him doing it earlier in the thread.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

About the cover, yeah, I thought it was a big weird they used that version. The Who has been selling song rights a LOT on TV, so I don't think it could have been a rights issue (and I wonder if the song writer figures into the rights fees anyway). I think this was an artistic choice. But I don't think Sorkin does sappy well.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Forgive my ignorance, who's JMS?
J. Michael [goes to Google] Straczynski [which is why I say JMS], creator and almost sole writer of Babylon 5.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
J. Michael [goes to Google] Straczynski [which is why I say JMS], creator and almost sole writer of Babylon 5.
Thanks. Never watched that show, so I'm not familiar. I do get why you used JMS though
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #30
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
Has Jeff Daniels ever played a romantic lead before? Maybe it's him.
Does his role opposite Lauren Holly in Dumb and Dumber count?
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote