TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
jcthorne

Which Tivo Roamio remote

I have a failing older slide remote that I am using with its dongle on my Roamio basic. I do have a few codes learned to some buttons to integrate it with my home theater. These are learned IR, not preprogrammed codes.

We almost never use the slide out keyboard anymore so don't really need the new slide remote but...

Is the new slide pro remote the only one currently offered that has learning capabilities, RF control and back lighting? There is no current version of the glow remote with RF?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I have a failing older slide remote that I am using with its dongle on my Roamio basic. I do have a few codes learned to some buttons to integrate it with my home theater. These are learned IR, not preprogrammed codes.

We almost never use the slide out keyboard anymore so don't really need the new slide remote but...

Is the new slide pro remote the only one currently offered that has learning capabilities, RF control and back lighting? There is no current version of the glow remote with RF?
Yes, the slide pro remote is the only remote now offered you Tivo with learning capabilities, the glow apparently has been discontinued as it's no longer offered on TiVo's website. It's unusual that that the basic Roamio Remote isn't a learning remote since it and slide pro are basically the same with exception of the slide keyboard but that was TiVo's choice and I guess they really didn't want to give their customers much choice.

If you need a basic learning remote without the keyboard, you may want to call Tivo and ask if the glow is available, a couple months ago they sent me one for free right before they removed them from their website, they might have a few still to sell or give away.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
FitzAusTex

Question about the Slide Pro: which buttons can be taught? Suspect only buttons such as volume, mute, tv power and input. I might be interested if we can teach A, B, C, and D. I know at least A, B, and C have very specific tivo functions, but I could get more use out of those buttons controlling my Lutron lighting system if those are teachable. Thanks.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
Question about the Slide Pro: which buttons can be taught? Suspect only buttons such as volume, mute, tv power and input. I might be interested if we can teach A, B, C, and D. I know at least A, B, and C have very specific tivo functions, but I could get more use out of those buttons controlling my Lutron lighting system if those are teachable. Thanks.
Only volume, mute, power and input are programmable.... it would be great if the letter buttons were programmable :-/
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #5
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Yes, the slide pro remote is the only remote now offered you Tivo with learning capabilities, the glow apparently has been discontinued as it's no longer offered on TiVo's website. It's unusual that that the basic Roamio Remote isn't a learning remote since it and slide pro are basically the same with exception of the slide keyboard but that was TiVo's choice and I guess they really didn't want to give their customers much choice.

If you need a basic learning remote without the keyboard, you may want to call Tivo and ask if the glow is available, a couple months ago they sent me one for free right before they removed them from their website, they might have a few still to sell or give away.
I think it was a matter of cost as to why TiVo just isn't offering a more elegant or back lit remote for the Roamio. And I do love the back lit ones, but I don't want to give up the advantage of the RF Roamio remote.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
I think it was a matter of cost as to why TiVo just isn't offering a more elegant or back lit remote for the Roamio. And I do love the back lit ones, but I don't want to give up the advantage of the RF Roamio remote.
the Slide Pro is extremely similar (with the exception of the slide out keyboard) to the Roamio remote, with the added benefit of back-lit keys for apparently every key. Slide Pro is slightly shorter (length-wise) than the Roamio remote, and a tad heavier.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote