TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Rate your satisfaction with the Roamio 1-5 (5 is highest)
5 - Roamio is outstanding! 147 63.09%
4 - Roamio is a very good DVR! 69 29.61%
3 - Roamio is "okay" 6 2.58%
2 - Roamio is not meeting expectations 7 3.00%
1 - Roamio is terrible 4 1.72%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #61
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Hmm, I have a cheap Vulkano box, made by some small Chinese company.

Their clients will adapt to the available bandwidth and you get varying quality depending on what kind of speed can be sustained to the client.

Tivo can't do adaptive streaming?
Knowing Apple they probably have to approve it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #62
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Hmm, I have a cheap Vulkano box, made by some small Chinese company.

Their clients will adapt to the available bandwidth and you get varying quality depending on what kind of speed can be sustained to the client.

Tivo can't do adaptive streaming?
Vulkano doesn't stream HD though. I have a Hava Platinum HD. I was going to get the Vulkano until I found out that it still doesn't stream in HD.

That's why I got the SlingBox 350 instead since it can stream in HD.

There is a night a day difference in the quality between the two.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #63
wco81

Wouldn't it depend on the bandwidth between your Tivo and wherever you're trying to view the streams?

Anyways, I believe Netflix and other apps. also adapt to the bandwidth. HBO Go does it as well.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #64
markp99
TakoKichi

I have an HD Slingbox. Performance out of the home was pretty poor, especially for the stuff I'd actually want to watch while travelling, like Boston sporting event while in other parts of the country. All my equipment is Cat5 wired.

Fast moving images seem to bring the Slingbox to its knees (stutter/pause/massive pixelization), even with tweaking/downgrading the various settings.

The bar is very low for me on out of home streaming. Hopefuly TiVo will improve the result.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #65
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I have an HD Slingbox. Performance out of the home was pretty poor, especially for the stuff I'd actually want to watch while travelling, like Boston sporting event while in other parts of the country. All my equipment is Cat5 wired.

Fast moving images seem to bring the Slingbox to its knees (stutter/pause/massive pixelization), even with tweaking/downgrading the various settings.

The bar is very low for me on out of home streaming. Hopefuly TiVo will improve the result.
I haven't run into those issues when streaming from my SlingBox 350 to my cellular phone as long as it stays connected with LTE 4G. Although if it drops down to 3G there can be some issues. At home I have 65mbps of upstream bandwidth on FiOS so that can always stream without any bandwidth problems.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #66
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post

The older Sllingbox boxes were pretty awful with low bandwidth (below 2 Mbps). However I upgraded to a Slingbox 350 and it does a good job even down to about 700 Kbps. What did get much worse however is the remote control response time. I've seen a remote control delay as great as 20 seconds when using Slingbox 3000 miles from home with a 1 Mbps feed. That makes using trickplay all but useless.

Since Sling has been at it so long and it's still not optimal I'm highly skeptical that the TiVo out of home streaming will be of any use, especially with low bandwidth limits. Also unless the client can be a PC/laptop or at least a non iOS device I'm not too interested in it.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #67
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I've seen a remote control delay as great as 20 seconds when using Slingbox 3000 miles from home with a 1 Mbps feed. That makes using trickplay all but useless.
Quote:
Since Sling has been at it so long and it's still not optimal I'm highly skeptical that the TiVo out of home streaming will be of any use, especially with low bandwidth limits.
I think the entire design of streaming from your home externally is significantly limited by upload speeds and less then optimum network design in the home of the average consumer.

If I were designing this solution, I would allow a user to select content (remotely) and push an upload to a cloud infrastructure. It would be that environment that would serve the content to client devices with the quality, reliability and functionality of say Netflix.

You would need to allow more buffering time then a direct source to client solution, but the user experience would be significantly more reliable. Also, far easier to manage DRM requirements under this model.

Several enterprises are discussing the option of cloud DVR services, TiVo is in the perfect possition to create a hybrid solution that would be very hard to beat.

Quote:
Also unless the client can be a PC/laptop or at least a non iOS device I'm not too interested in it.
I agree, I think they need a functional web client to enable cross platform fuctionality.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 09-20-2013 at 10:20 AM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #68
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
MRS wasn't released until a year after the Premiere was released. At launch the only difference was the hardware and the barely functional HDUI. Although if you switched back to the SDUI the Premiere was significantly faster then the S3 units.
Maybe that was true when s4 was launched, running rev 14.something, iirc. But they broke the s4 SDUI pretty badly, again iirc, along with the database revamp.

So today, the fastest way to go through an s5 show list is from an s3. From my HDXLs, I can zip through about 50 s5 shows in 20 seconds, using just the channel down button.

Using the SDUI on my Elite, thereís 1.5-2 second delay on each program.

And with the s5 UI, where the channel buttons no longer function, and I have to go left-down-right to see details of each show?!? Fuhgeddaboutit. Not even worth timing it.

Of course, a good, modern UI, like say, the FiOS UI, wouldnít make you go into the detail screen at all. All the information you want, like channel, time, duration, episode name and number, program rating, and so on, would appear somewhere on screen simply by highlighting a program in the list.

But TiVo canít do that, because they waste screen real estate at the right on a stupid picture, and instead of just telling you the channel name and number, they put up a channel logo, which not all channels even have.

And of course, at the top of the screen, TiVo is busy telling you about OTHER programs, that you did NOT record, which are interesting to OTHER people, instead of telling you about the program you DID record, which presumably is what interests YOU.

Bottom line, a good UI has two characteristics: fast response time, and effective screen utilization that minimizes the number of buttons you have to push to find the information YOU want or to do what YOU want to do. The TiVo HDUI fails on both counts.

I give the s5 a 1.
joblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #69
aaronwt
HD Addict

You can somewhat customize what shows up on the Discovery bar.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #70
jmpage2

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post
Maybe that was true when s4 was launched, running rev 14.something, iirc. But they broke the s4 SDUI pretty badly, again iirc, along with the database revamp.

I give the s5 a 1.
A 1? Really? Clearly from your description what you are after is some kind of souped up S3, which is never going to exist.

Even getting past your obvious hatred of the HD UI, the new TiVo has a LOT of features over previous models. You clearly don't care about six tuners, easily replaceable hard drive, integrated MoCA and room extension capabilities, streaming of content to iPads, RF remote, remote finder or any of the other features packed into the new box.

The good news is that the poll numbers have shown that you are significantly in the minority with that opinion. 93%+ of responders (and there are over 160 now) rate it at least a 4 out of 5.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #71
aaronwt
HD Addict

I didn't even notice the 1 for the S5. That sounds crazy. The S5 blows away all the other Tivo models. The only major complaint I would see would be no OTA and cable at the same time. Otherwise it is a huge step forward. I would give the FiOS DVR a 2 or 3 though. The FiOS DVR is nowhere near as good as the Roamio is.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #72
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
A 1? Really? Clearly from your description what you are after is some kind of souped up S3, which is never going to exist.
Yes, really. And not ďsouped upĒ; Iíd settle for something that just kept up with the s3, which in many ways, this unit definitely does not.

Quote:
Even getting past your obvious hatred of the HD UI,
Actually, I think ďdetestĒ would describe my feelings about the s5 UI better than ďhateĒ.

Quote:
the new TiVo has a LOT of features over previous models. You clearly don't care about six tuners, easily replaceable hard drive, integrated MoCA and room extension capabilities, streaming of content to iPads, RF remote, remote finder or any of the other features packed into the new box.
Well, nowÖ

I wish I had 6 tuners. But Iím testing OTA, so I just get 4.

I definitely do care about the hard drive, though, because if I were to keep this unit Ė which I will not Ė the first thing I would have to do is replace the ridiculously puny disk.

But since I canít get internet through my roof antenna, youíre right, I donít care about MoCA.

As for the remote, the RF has insufficient range to cover my whole house, and I canít get the IR mode out of code 0, so I need another remote to actually control the thing from the whole house.

This unit does NOT have a remote finder, and it canít stream to an iPad without an expensive add-on device.

He!l, this unit canít even talk to an analog TV Ė or more to the point for my purposes, an RF modulator Ė without a breakout cable that wasnít included and isnít carried by the Best Buy where I bought it. (Whereas the s3 can output composite, S, component, and HDMI, all at the same time with no accessories at all.)

Clearly, we are talking about two different machines here, and two different experiences. If I were rating a pro with a 3TB disk, I might give it a 2 or a 3, but the unit Iím looking at rates a 1!

Quote:
The good news is that the poll numbers have shown that you are significantly in the minority with that opinion. 93%+ of responders (and there are over 160 now) rate it at least a 4 out of 5.
Whether my opinion agrees with other peopleís is neither good nor bad, as far as Iím concerned; it just is what it is. Why is it that tivophiles seem to take honest evaluations of the product so personally? Do you own stock in the company or something?

Now you want some real good news about the product itself, as opposed to its popularity or lack thereof?

It appears that the OTA tuner performance is either comparable to the s3, or at least a lot closer to s3 OTA performance than the dreadful s4 OTA performance.

And this is the first DVR Iíve ever seen that can pad consecutive programs on the same channel without tying up two tuners to do it.

And this will be very, very, VERY nice if it can handle the NFL and 60 Minutes on Sundays. But last week, I think it would have dropped 60 Minutes entirely if I hadnít been there to catch it and start a manual recording.

So I plan to test it again this Sunday and see what happens. If I can pad NFL Football and 60 Minutes by an hour each and it catches both on just one tuner, that will be a huge advance. But if it drops 60 Minutes entirely, as it looked like it was going to do last week, then there again, itís not keeping up with the s3, because the s3 can pad and catch both, even it has to use both tuners to do it.

So we shall seeÖ
Old 09-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #73
yokito

Quote:

I give the s5 a 1.
Don't feed the trolls.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #74
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You can somewhat customize what shows up on the Discovery bar.
But unfortunately, not enough to make it actually useful for my purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would give the FiOS DVR a 2 or 3 though. The FiOS DVR is nowhere near as good as the Roamio is.
Depends what you want to do.

If you want to archive programs to DVD, transfer them to another DVR, or take the DVR itself with you on vacation to watch recorded programs at another location, you canít do any of that with a FiOS DVR, or any other service providerís DVR, as far as I know.

But the FiOS DVR is the only non-DVD DVR Iíve seen that has an actual frame reverse, so if you like finding and studying individual frames in movies or sports events, the FiOS DVR is clearly superior.

Also, if you want to record The Daily Show Monday-Thursday at 11 pm, itís a piece of cake on a FiOS DVR and most every other DVR out there except TiVo. On a FiOS DVR, you can actually do it two ways, either manual or name-based, with just one program.

But on a TiVo, you canít do that either way, because you canít create a Monday-Thursday manual recording, and you canít time-restrict name- or id-based recordings. (Which TiVo calls Wishlists and Season Passes, respectively.) So you either have to create four manual recordings, one for each day of the week, or you have to waste disk space recording and waste time deleting a bunch of repeats about every other Monday, because TMS doesnít update the Monday episode information soon enough.

TiVo has its advantages, definitely, but a perfect DVR it isnít, and it never has been.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #75
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokito View Post
Quote:
I give the s5 a 1.
Don't feed the trolls.
Just a suggestion, but instead of ad hominem, why not try refuting, or at least responding to, some of my points?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #76
fdisker2000

Quote:
He!l, this unit canít even talk to an analog TV Ė or more to the point for my purposes, an RF modulator Ė without a breakout cable that wasnít included
I just have to say to this: 1990 wants it's TV back.
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #77
fdisker2000

I initially rated my Roamio a four but that was before I found out it has a problem with recording and trick-playing my HD Fox channel (may effect more channels, I haven't check them all).
My Premieres may be slow and may have stopped responding to the remote at times but they recorded everything without a problem. I'll take reliable over fast interface any day.
I would like to change my vote to a two. It deserves a 4-5, if/when this issue is resolved.
Also, I know that the outdated cable card firmware problems(not supporting 6 tuners) are not TiVo's fault but they had to know about this before hand. They should have put this info out to inform consumers.
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #78
aaronwt
HD Addict

ISn't the Fox issue related to the local affiliate? I haven't seen any issues with the Fox stations in my area.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #79
atmuscarella

Quote:
Just a suggestion, but instead of ad hominem, why not try refuting, or at least responding to, some of my points?
There is no reason to refute opinions. If someone likes the SDUI better than the HDUI (or vice versa) it is personal preference and irreverent to anyone else.

However rating any product a 1 out of 5 should mean it is a failure at what it is being sold as, basically is doesn't work.

The Roamio is being sold as a HD digital OTA or Cable DVR. A 1 rating should mean it can not perform that function in a minimally acceptable manor.

I have used allot of devices as OTA DVRs, including a Series 2, original Series 3, TiVo HD, & Premiere TiVos, HTPC with HDHome tuners and now a Roamio TiVo. To say a Roamio isn't a highly functional OTA DVR is just a flat out lie. To say your giving it a 3 or even maybe a 2 rating because it doesn't have all the functionality you personally want or maybe you don't find value in the cost is one thing but to rate it 1 for those reasons is another.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #80
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post
I initially rated my Roamio a four but that was before I found out it has a problem with recording and trick-playing my HD Fox channel (may effect more channels, I haven't check them all).
My Premieres may be slow and may have stopped responding to the remote at times but they recorded everything without a problem. I'll take reliable over fast interface any day.
I would like to change my vote to a two. It deserves a 4-5, if/when this issue is resolved.
Also, I know that the outdated cable card firmware problems(not supporting 6 tuners) are not TiVo's fault but they had to know about this before hand. They should have put this info out to inform consumers.
Sounds like it might be this issue.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508353

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #81
swerver

Quote:
Also, if you want to record The Daily Show Monday-Thursday at 11 pm, itís a piece of cake on a FiOS DVR and most every other DVR out there except TiVo. On a FiOS DVR, you can actually do it two ways, either manual or name-based, with just one program.

But on a TiVo, you canít do that either way, because you canít create a Monday-Thursday manual recording, and you canít time-restrict name- or id-based recordings. (Which TiVo calls Wishlists and Season Passes, respectively.) So you either have to create four manual recordings, one for each day of the week, or you have to waste disk space recording and waste time deleting a bunch of repeats about every other Monday, because TMS doesnít update the Monday episode information soon enough.
I don't follow. Can't you just use a season pass, new only? That's what I do and it works fine. If there's a repeat that sneaks in once in a while, it takes 1 half hour of space out of (typically) hundreds of hours of space, and 1 click (clear button) to delete it. If that's a problem for you then I guess I see why you would rate it a 1. Seems a lot easier than a bunch of manual recordings tho. Give it a try.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #82
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
There is no reason to refute opinions. If someone likes the SDUI better than the HDUI (or vice versa) it is personal preference and irreverent to anyone else.

However rating any product a 1 out of 5 should mean it is a failure at what it is being sold as, basically is doesn't work.

The Roamio is being sold as a HD digital OTA or Cable DVR. A 1 rating should mean it can not perform that function in a minimally acceptable manor.

I have used allot of devices as OTA DVRs, including a Series 2, original Series 3, TiVo HD, & Premiere TiVos, HTPC with HDHome tuners and now a Roamio TiVo. To say a Roamio isn't a highly functional OTA DVR is just a flat out lie. To say your giving it a 3 or even maybe a 2 rating because it doesn't have all the functionality you personally want or maybe you don't find value in the cost is one thing but to rate it 1 for those reasons is another.
You hit it on the head. Yes, everyone has their own rating system, but for most rational people, to give a product a 1 out of 5 it has to fail miserably at the basic tasks it is designed to do. The Roamio does not. The people who are understandably frustrated right now are primarily those with cable cards and tuning adapters not fully working but most of them understand some of those issues are outside of TiVos ability to control.

Being upset that TiVo does not present the HD UI or Guide the way a competitor product or does not do a season pass the way you want is frankly a nitpick for most people.

And if someone hates it enough to rate it a 1 then they should do the sensible thing and return it.

For a comparison the last product I rated a '1' at Amazon (where I am a top 1000 reviewer) was the Syabas Popbox, which could not even do the basic thing it was supposed to do... play MKV files.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #83
Devx

Is there anyway to change my rating on a poll after voting?
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #84
yokito

Just curious - do you want to go up or down?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #85
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Is there anyway to change my rating on a poll after voting?
nope.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #86
HenryFarpolo

I rated mine a 5, but that was before the Carbonite ads appeared.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
I rated mine a 5, but that was before the Carbonite ads appeared.
i would increase my rating by half a point. That ad got me two free months of Carbonite service.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #88
Riverdome

Wish it had NHL GameCenter to go along with MLB.tv but it's a nice upgrade over my original S3. Can finally turn in one cable card.
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #89
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokito View Post
Just curious - do you want to go up or down?
It's fluctuated to the point where I'm right back where I started score wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
nope.
Thanks.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote