TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Rate your satisfaction with the Roamio 1-5 (5 is highest)
5 - Roamio is outstanding! 147 63.09%
4 - Roamio is a very good DVR! 69 29.61%
3 - Roamio is "okay" 6 2.58%
2 - Roamio is not meeting expectations 7 3.00%
1 - Roamio is terrible 4 1.72%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I think the Roamio allows you to disable the video preview window, where the Premiere did not, correct?
My XL4 had an option to disable the video preview IIRC.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #32
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I think the Roamio allows you to disable the video preview window, where the Premiere did not, correct?
You've always been able to disable the preview window. Either temporarily via the Slow button or permanently via the options.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #33
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You've always been able to disable the preview window. Either temporarily via the Slow button or permanently via the options.
Absolutely. I would have hated if there was not an option to permanently disable the preview window via options. Too bad when bringing up the guide there is no option to get rid of it as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Absolutely. I would have hated if there was not an option to permanently disable the preview window via options. Too bad when bringing up the guide there is no option to get rid of it as well.
This is one reason I wish the entire GUI was HD. I wish the video window would be up for every screen I can view in the GUI.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #35
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
This is one reason I wish the entire GUI was HD. I wish the video window would be up for every screen I can view in the GUI.
No spoilers or live TV for me. I don't even like to read a description of a show before watching it since those can be spoilers as well.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #36
Devx

I gave it a 4.

Pros:
Overall speed and responsiveness
4/6 Tuners
450+ HD hr capacity/support
Easy HD upgrades (unintentional or not)
DIAL support

Cons:
Price
HDUI incomplete
Documentation/Support
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #37
jmpage2

Crossed the 100 vote threshold a short while ago.... lots of new owners, so please take a moment to rate your satisfaction in this poll.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #38
jmpage2

It finally happened, someone had the stones to rate the Roamio as "terrible".

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it would be interesting to see what makes the product "terrible".
Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #39
moyekj

Well considering there are currently some pretty serious core DVR issues right now for some I guess it's not too surprising:
* Tuning issues
* Trick play issues

Plus it's very likely there are some votes by people that don't even own a Roamio.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #40
jmpage2

Sure, I can see where someone who has an old cable-card or a crappy tuning adapter is frustrated with issues with the Roamio, but 99% of the blame should be directed to their cable provider, there's only so much that TiVo can do in these situations when they are 100% at the mercy of those clowns.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #41
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
It finally happened, someone had the stones to rate the Roamio as "terrible".

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it would be interesting to see what makes the product "terrible".
The one star ratings on Amazon are pretty lame. One guy wanted a digital video recorder that (the best I can tell) recorded from something other than a cable/OTA coax line and of course he didn't want any service costs.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #42
buckweet1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post
I used a DirectTiVo 5+ years ago.

Have been using Verizon FiOS HD-DVRs for 5+ years, earlier models were crappy compared to what I remember TiVo to be, current models are really good.

Now that I got a Roamio, I am disappointed in how TiVo did not change at all, seems rather antiquated, especially when it comes switching between live TV and the menus. On my FiOS DVR TV never stops, goes to the background or minimized window, on TiVo once you go to the menu you can no longer watch TV. E.g. watch show, see show trailer, go to search and add to season pass while continuing to watch the show, on TiVo I can do one or the other, not both.

As for Netflix etc., the Romio Netflix player and controls are pretty poor compared to Roku, and Roku includes Amazon Prime, so no value add there.

P.

I like you am in the same situation.. I have FIOS DVR now after testing out the Roamio it makes me feel like nothing has changed since I used the DirecTV Tivo years ago. I bought the Roamio with hopes it'd blow me away. The only thing it's done is empty my pockets and left me dis-satisfied.

The Amazon Instant video app is a joke, the part SD and partial HD menus is a joke too. I like the guide better in the FIOS DVR too.

The reason I wanted to go Tivo is to get rid of set top box fees by using the mini's in the other rooms. I'm thinking now I might just check out the DTV Genie or wait until VZ finally decides to release their home media server device. The ROI on the Tivo solution is 2+yrs, so it's a case of pay now or pay then. Either way I think I'm returning my Roamio for now.

I will say the speed of the device is amazing and it has great picture quality. I love the 6 tuners, look of the box, etc.. If they'd only fix the UI, increase apps, bring DLNA, update the guide to 2013 then it'd be an awesome box I think. They have 6 months of solid development ahead of them, but with history of Tivo will that even happen?
buckweet1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #43
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet1980 View Post
I like the guide better in the FIOS DVR too.
Did you try both guide types: Grid Guide & TiVo Live Guide? I am a big fan of the TiVo Live Guide.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #44
aaronwt
HD Addict

I always thought the Grid guide was terrible. I love the TiVo Live Guide.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #45
JesseBearden

I'm with holding my vote until there's an update. Right now I live in Seattle and I'm struck with the bug where some(many) of my recordings don't work and I can't play them. That's a pretty huge issue for a DVR.

Also, my first unit never quite worked until I got a replacement.

Also, I have had Amazon download issues.

Overall I really want to like it, but thus far I've had nothing but issues. I should probably just plug my TivoHD back in for a while or return the Roamio for the time being.

I have confidence that these issues will be resolved, but for now it's not been great for me.
JesseBearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #46
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBearden View Post
I'm with holding my vote until there's an update. Right now I live in Seattle and I'm struck with the bug where some(many) of my recordings don't work and I can't play them. That's a pretty huge issue for a DVR.

Overall I really want to like it, but thus far I've had nothing but issues. I should probably just plug my TivoHD back in for a while or return the Roamio for the time being.

I have confidence that these issues will be resolved, but for now it's not been great for me.
With that many issues, the initial start of the fall season upon us, and the uncertainty around the release date for the update, it makes sense to return the Roamio and go back to the HD for now. Especially if the Roamio is the only DVR that you're using.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #47
buckweet1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Did you try both guide types: Grid Guide & TiVo Live Guide? I am a big fan of the TiVo Live Guide.
Yeah I checked this out too.. Not a fan of it. When I browse through the guide I like to see what is on and coming on in half hour or so, but with live guide you have to go to the channel to get the list.
buckweet1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #48
yokito

Quote:
Yeah I checked this out too.. Not a fan of it. When I browse through the guide I like to see what is on and coming on in half hour or so, but with live guide you have to go to the channel to get the list.
There's also *What's on now* - have you seen that?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #49
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
One other option you might not have encountered yet is the Mini-Guide - just hit Select while in live tv. Gives you a 3 line grid guide superimposed over the live-tv. Not a substitute for a full guide, but may be handy for you at times.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #50
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBearden View Post

Same here. I loved my new Roamio until the new fall shows started. Now I'm stuck with recording the effected channels on my Premiere in another room and MRVing them on my Roamio or recording them in SD.
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #51
inc77

Loving mine so far.

Some of my little annoyances:

1 - No stop button (yes I do wish it had one - because my wife keeps asking me)
2 - Some of the UI
3 - Not necessarily Tivo's fault but that Amazon App needs an upgrade desperately
inc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #52
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc77 View Post
Loving mine so far.

Some of my little annoyances:

1 - No stop button (yes I do wish it had one - because my wife keeps asking me)
2 - Some of the UI
3 - Not necessarily Tivo's fault but that Amazon App needs an upgrade desperately
Try the new back button on the remote

Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #53
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I always thought the Grid guide was terrible. I love the TiVo Live Guide.
I feel like there's too much clicking with the live guide. The grid gives you way more info per click. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #54
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
I feel like there's too much clicking with the live guide. The grid gives you way more info per click. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
I think it really depends on how/why you are using the guide. This time of year, I think many of us are in the guide more than other times, but the real answer is to learn how to avoid the guide as much as possible.

Between wish lists and suggestions it is possible to avoid the guide most of the time. Because I am OTA only and don't have that many channels it isn't as big a deal as it is for someone with 100+ cable channels, but "watching" the guide with 100+ channels can become a full time occupation.

Another part of this is being willing to give up live TV, once you are watching nearly 100% from what is being recorded and you find way more TV than you can ever possible watch looking at the guide becomes less and less useful.

Good luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #55
wco81

I'd go with outstanding if they deliver the outside streaming as promised and it works well.

That would be a terrific feature and they should have a Mac client too.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #56
JasonD

I voted outstanding, but I really, really, want outside streaming. And they need to add HBO Go also.
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #57
jmpage2

From the early beta reports of Engadget and others the remote streaming quality is quite a few notches below what is possible with solutions like Slingbox, so it's probably better that they wait and get it right before they piss everybody off.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #58
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
From the early beta reports of Engadget and others the remote streaming quality is quite a few notches below what is possible with solutions like Slingbox, so it's probably better that they wait and get it right before they piss everybody off.
On some of the reviews it was difficult to tell but some alluded to the stream possibly needing too much bandwidth from their home connection and public wi-fi. Tivo really has to get the quality adjustment right. Personally, I'd be ok if they offered multiple settings to suit the connection as a first attempt while they tweaked or worked on some form of auto adjustment. I have the upstream bandwidth but typically would use 4g for streaming while out and it's congested here in Atlanta. 3-5Mbps is typical in some areas.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #59
wco81

Hmm, I have a cheap Vulkano box, made by some small Chinese company.

Their clients will adapt to the available bandwidth and you get varying quality depending on what kind of speed can be sustained to the client.

Tivo can't do adaptive streaming?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #60
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Hmm, I have a cheap Vulkano box, made by some small Chinese company. Their clients will adapt to the available bandwidth and you get varying quality depending on what kind of speed can be sustained to the client. Tivo can't do adaptive streaming?
I have a Vulkano Platinum and Slingbox Pro HD and don't understand why TiVo is having difficulty either. Perhaps they should have purchased the technology from Monsoon (makers of Vulkano and the old Hava boxes) like Belkin did.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote