TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
JBeanie

Shows to Iphone to Mac?

I am looking into getting the roamio, and I am also looking at getting an iphone. I was wondering if, first of all, do shows download easily to iphone to take on the go?

Second, since I don't have an iphone yet I am not sure how this might work, but, if I downloaded shows to my iphone, could I hook my iphone up to my macbook and play those shows on my macbook (so I could have a bigger screen while I am out of the house)?

I know tivo says you can transfer shows to your mac if you get roxio toast 11, but I have read a lot of negative reviews about that not working. Or if the software does work, then the cable company blocks most shows from being transferred, which I understand for premium channels for HBO and stuff, but it is worthless if I can only get the main broadcast channels like nbc (I have comcast btw, so I don't know if they are particularly bad about this or not). Anyway, so I am hesitant to spend the money on Roxio if it isn't going to actually transfer shows like promised.

I am (obviously) not super tech savvy, so any help with answering these questions would be appreciated!
JBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You can't move the shows from the iPhone to the Mac. You could use Roxio to move them to the Mac directly.

And if the channel is protected, you can't move it to the iPhone or the Mac.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeanie View Post
I am looking into getting the roamio, and I am also looking at getting an iphone. I was wondering if, first of all, do shows download easily to iphone to take on the go?
I'll try it now and find out...

...Downloading directly to my iPod Touch 5 is incredibly easy with the TiVo app. Select a show from 'My Shows', hit the download button, and pick a resolution size.

(And don't buy an iPhone today. At 1 pm EST they are probably announcing the new models.)
Quote:
Second, since I don't have an iphone yet I am not sure how this might work, but, if I downloaded shows to my iphone, could I hook my iphone up to my macbook and play those shows on my macbook (so I could have a bigger screen while I am out of the house)?
I don't see any way of pushing the video from the iDevice to my iMac.
Quote:
I know tivo says you can transfer shows to your mac if you get roxio toast 11, but I have read a lot of negative reviews about that not working. Or if the software does work, then the cable company blocks most shows from being transferred, which I understand for premium channels for HBO and stuff, but it is worthless if I can only get the main broadcast channels like nbc (I have comcast btw, so I don't know if they are particularly bad about this or not). Anyway, so I am hesitant to spend the money on Roxio if it isn't going to actually transfer shows like promised.
I use the free (and generally considered to be better) kmttg ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/ ) instead of Roxio. It will transfer anything that isn't 'copy-flagged' as protected. Also, your Macbook probably has more space available than your phone will. kmttg isn't as easy to set up, but the community here can give you a hand with that.

I also have Comcast, and for me, BBC America seems to be the only place that is blocking some transfers for me. (I don't have premium channels.)
thenightfly42 is offline   Reply With Quote