TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
gsusser

Installation from helllllll part 2

So, the tech I spoke with at TiVo thought I had a defective Roamio plus. The problem is I didn't get half the channels I was supposed to get, both premium and non-premium. When I was on the phone with the tech, I just tried a few channels and there was no problem. But she said that things didn't look right from her end and that if I had a further problem, she would swap devices via overnight delivery. She gave me a reference number and told me to only speak with her and gave me her hours.

Well, I called yesterday when she was supposed to be there and she wasn't. Today, same thing. So I said bulloney, why do I need her? It should all be documented. As it turned out, it wasn't all documented, but that's neither here nor there.

I spoke with a supervisor who said there are known issues with the new Verizon cable card and the problem I am having is the issue. He said swapping sets would accomplish nothing. And to add to my nightmare, my old TiVo, a Premiere, started acting up yesterday and rebooting like every half hour. Today it's been fine.

My question is that if this is a known issue, why doesn't anyone else on this forum have this problem? I am in an on hold position, waiting for Verizon. I cannot use the Roamio.

Any suggestions? So far, I must have spent about 12 hours plus on this.
gsusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Cannot address why there are not more issues noted here, but check on this link:

https://twitter.com/Tivodesign
Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
gsusser

According to the supervisor, EVERYONE who owns a Roamio Plus and subscribes to Verizon FIOS will have the same problem as me. I have to think that is a false statement since no one uttered a complaint. But he was supposedly reading from tech notes or whatever. Meanwhile, there is nothing I can do but wait for Verizon or return my Roamio.

I did tweet Margaret.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Bramble

There are a couple of Fios Specific problems that have cropped up with certain versions of cable cards. Because of this the verizon rep may be just assuming that your problem is related.

Here's the quote from Margaret on which cablecards to watch out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Take the FiOS CableCARD out of the Roamio, and look at the part number on the back, above the bar code.

If that number is either one of these:
514517-002-00 (MCPOD1)
514517-006-00 (MCPOD2)
we think you'll experience a problem.

We believe CableCARDs with this number:
514517-017-00 (MCPOD3)
will work correctly.

If you have an MCPOD1 or MCPOD2 card, call Verizon and ask them to swap your card for an MCPOD3 card.
Also the two threads with the most discussion about FiOS issues based on issues with the cablecards.
Cablecard not pairing: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508249
Pixelation on copy protected channels: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507823
Bramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
iadbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsusser View Post
According to the supervisor, EVERYONE who owns a Roamio Plus and subscribes to Verizon FIOS will have the same problem as me. I have to think that is a false statement since no one uttered a complaint. But he was supposedly reading from tech notes or whatever. Meanwhile, there is nothing I can do but wait for Verizon or return my Roamio.

I did tweet Margaret.
This is just nonsense. I have FIOS and everything is working. To be sure, I lucked out and got the right cable card on the first try -- I guess it is the 017 series. And I also had to spend about three hours on the phone getting the card properly paired so I could watch HBO/Cinemax. But ever since that first night of working my way through the Verizon CSR's everything has worked perfectly.
iadbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
cmshep222

I finally got HBO working when I posted my issue to twitter. @Verizonsupport. They had a CableCard guy tweet me back (got my pairing info) and he had HBO working in 10 min.
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Borack

I installed my TIvo this past week, did the setup thing...Went to Verizon store asked and received the cable card...Printed out what others here have written about which cable card to get went home and inserted it..Also read here about using the tech chat as it was faster...Got em online, asked him to reint..(whatever that was), he said how did I know about that...Told him about this community...Three minutes later, voila HBO and Showtime, no probs..Then I returned my Verizon DVR...

Thanks all....
Borack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
gsusser

I spoke with the executive office and they confirmed what I was told by TiVo support, but the explanation was a little more complicated. According to the exec. office, they have received a number of complaints exactly like mine. I guess those people don't use tivocommunity. I didn't follow the explanation entirely, but supposedly there is a problem with the new Verizon card, 017, that causes some channels to be obscure. That has a side effect of blocking channels. I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the person I spoke with, though she is not a technician. However, I wonder why no one here hasn't complained about this. On the other hand, this forum does not represent the whole world.

I also got a tweet from TivoMargaret. She said it was the pairing.

So, here again I have 2 conflicting explanations from the upper echelons of TiVo. In any event, I will be receiving a new cable card today (but yes, I was using the correct updated version before). I'll need to go through more troubleshooting with TiVo if the pairing doesn't fix the problem. They agreed to send a new Roamio if the problem persisted.

However, I have my limits. At this point I don't know who is at fault and it is irrelevant, though I'm beginning to wonder about Verizon. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on this and I'm getting ready to throw in the towel.

Last edited by gsusser : 09-10-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

With my 017 card on FiOS, I went through all the HD channels and a couple dozen SD channels. WHich are all the channels that I have checked off in my channels list. Those all came in fine for me. Although I did not check any of the other SD channels since I don't watch them. So I it's possible that there could be issues with some of those channels.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

Quote:
I spoke with the executive office and they confirmed what I was told by TiVo support, but the explanation was a little more complicated. According to the exec. office, they have received a number of complaints exactly like mine. I guess those people don't use tivocommunity. I didn't follow the explanation entirely, but supposedly there is a problem with the new Verizon card, 017, that causes some channels to be obscure. That has a side effect of blocking channels. I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the person I spoke with, though she is not a technician. However, I wonder why no one here hasn't complained about this. On the other hand, this forum does not represent the whole world.

I also got a tweet from TivoMargaret. She said it was the pairing.

So, here again I have 2 conflicting explanations from the upper echelons of TiVo. In any event, I will be receiving a new cable card today (but yes, I was using the correct updated version before). I'll need to go through more troubleshooting with TiVo if the pairing doesn't fix the problem. They agreed to send a new Roamio if the problem persisted.

However, I have my limits. At this point I don't know who is at fault and it is irrelevant, though I'm beginning to wonder about Verizon. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on this and I'm getting ready to throw in the towel.
Well, my guess is you are hearing different words to describe the same problem and source, Verizon's card. Hopefully its resolved with the new card. Don't let the cableco win by providing a bad card!

Make sure you re-read your tweet from tivo- she noted that its "usually" the problem and offered to help you individually. That is certainly not a flippant remark about pairing and is the route I would follow if I were you.

Last edited by jrtroo : 09-10-2013 at 09:43 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
gsusser

I'm happy to say the issue is resolved. It was definitely a verizon issue.. I inserted a new card and everything went pretty smooth. So, either I had a defective cable card or verizon was doing something wrong in pairing the first time.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
sneagle
Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm happy to say the issue is resolved. It was definitely a verizon issue.. I inserted a new card and everything went pretty smooth. So, either I had a defective cable card or verizon was doing something wrong in pairing the first time.
Excellent. Especially since I just brought home a new roamio pro and roamio plus and I have fios.
sneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
sneagle
Addicted Member

I got my cards. FYI for others here is a pic to show where the 017 is located

image-2969821614.jpg
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
emerz

Quote:

I did tweet Margaret.
I have a Roamio Plus and Verizon Fios and have no problems what-so-ever.
emerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneagle View Post
I got my cards. FYI for others here is a pic to show where the 017 is located

Attachment 19524
I like the old school Dymo label you used. What program did you use to add this label to the picture? Thanks!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
sneagle
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I like the old school Dymo label you used. What program did you use to add this label to the picture? Thanks!
I was at work so I used PhotoStudio on my iPhone
Old 09-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
ciucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borack View Post
I installed my TIvo this past week, did the setup thing...Went to Verizon store asked and received the cable card...Printed out what others here have written about which cable card to get went home and inserted it..Also read here about using the tech chat as it was faster...Got em online, asked him to reint..(whatever that was), he said how did I know about that...Told him about this community...Three minutes later, voila HBO and Showtime, no probs..Then I returned my Verizon DVR...

Thanks all....
It seems the tech's you get on Home agent chat are a higher tier above the telephone dummies. I've always got things taken care of quicker easier and the person is more knowledgeable on the chat. They must be tier 2 or 3.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
sneagle
Addicted Member

My experience was not perfect but it worked out.

My first mistake was my plan to do guided setup for one TiVo then the other. The verizon self activate site activates both cablecards at the same time, so when I got to the screen on the first TiVo, I needed the info from the second TiVo. When I got to the cablecard screen on the secodn TiVO, I accidentally went past to network stup and there is no going back. After several connections to TiVo and updates, I was ready to go.

Sadly, when I entered the info online, it froze. I then chatted with Verizon and the rep activated the cablecards. But NO premium channels!! I continued to chat with him and eventually he re-activated them and who knows what else and it worked. I did have to go into settings and add the premium channels so they would show up in the guide....side note: why can't I select all or remove all in the channels settings??

Total time about 2 1/2 hours. Mostly because I had to wait while one TiVo did it's updates before completing the Cablecard activation.

I am now setting up my Mini. It is taking forever to do the intial setup after downloading

A few notes from just a very small amount of use...
- The Roamios are fast. They do want to do several updates when first connected so be prepared
- It will take a bit to get used to the new remote layout
- The Mini uses the old remote layout. Dislike that I have to use two different layouts
- I transferred my season passes online. It went quickly but I think it changed the priority order
- The old TiVo HDs are disconnected from cable and the cards are removed. Over the next few day, we will transfer recordings we want to the new TiVos then decide what to do with them. One has LifeTime so I may try to sell. I tried to get TiVo to sell me $99 LifeTime on the other one but no
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
gsusser

I'd laugh if this wasn't so pathetic and I have a bad back now from going back and forth to the TiVo.

After 1.5 days of problem-free use, I have a problem again, a different problem. All of a sudden, I don't get many channels and many channels are coming in pixalated or blurry. As per the TiVo supervisor, I don't have enough signal strength from Verizon. The Roamio Plus require more signal strength than the Premiere because it has 6 tuners.

Personally, I also think there's something wrong with the TiVo. The record light has been on all day even though it's not

In any event, I'm done. The shame is I sold my Premiere. It went fast on eBay. I could reneg on the eBay deal, and say something happened and continue using the Premiere, which is a thought. But I have such a bad taste in my mouth after spending what must be 15 hours on the phone and chat with Verizon and TiVo.

The alternative is a Verizon DVR. I'm not crazy about it and it's not cheap at 16.99/mo, but you don't buy it. Has anyone had experience or know anything about Verizon's DVR? I know it's only 2 channel but I can live with that.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
gsusser

I'm sorry to keep posting and bugging the forum. However, I could really use advice.

I got an incredibly helpful TiVo supervisor on the phone last night. It seems my problem is insufficient signal strength from Verizon. This probably was my problem all along. We got Verizon on the phone and went thru helllllll. It took talking to 7 different people and over 1 hour to get someone on the phone who could help us. The supervisor, who was at first very calm and methodical, started to lose it at one point with Verizon. Anyway, Verizon is sending someone over to troubleshoot.

I'm still not 100% convinced it's entirely a Verizon problem though. The red recording light stays on almost all the time even though it's not recording. Rebooting gets rid of it for a little while but then it comes back. Any explanation? And why would my Roamio work okay for over a day and then all of a sudden experience problems?

Meanwhile, as soon as my Roamio started working, I listed my Premiere on eBay. It sold immediately. I haven't shipped and I now regret listing it so fast. Shipping was promised for today. My thinking is to keep the Premiere in case a Roamio won't work for me. But I feel that I'm committed to ship it now - the buyer paid for it.

A last resort is to go with the Verizon DVR. I don't relish that, but at least I know everything will work, or should work because there won't be compatibility issues. I rarely need more than 2 tuners anyway. It's expensive though at 16.99/mo.

So, what do you think? Thanks and again, sorry if this is getting annoying.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #21
ilkevinli

There is no doubt that you should ship that Tivo out. The buyer has paid and is expecting it to be shipped. Put yourself in his/her shoes.

Quote:

Meanwhile, as soon as my Roamio started working, I listed my Premiere on eBay. It sold immediately. I haven't shipped and I now regret listing it so fast. Shipping was promised for today. My thinking is to keep the Premiere in case a Roamio won't work for me. But I feel that I'm committed to ship it now - the buyer paid for it.

A last resort is to go with the Verizon DVR. I don't relish that, but at least I know everything will work, or should work because there won't be compatibility issues. I rarely need more than 2 tuners anyway. It's expensive though at 16.99/mo.

So, what do you think? Thanks and again, sorry if this is getting annoying.

ilkevinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #22
gsusser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkevinli View Post
There is no doubt that you should ship that Tivo out. The buyer has paid and is expecting it to be shipped. Put yourself in his/her shoes.
Agreed. I know I could come up with an excuse and refund his money, but I don't want to be like that. I might ask him to wait a few days and offer a partial refund. In any event, I would never keep the money without sending it.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
jmpage2

Quote:
Agreed. I know I could come up with an excuse and refund his money, but I don't want to be like that. I might ask him to wait a few days and offer a partial refund. In any event, I would never keep the money without sending it.
Holding onto it is almost as bad as trying to back out of the sale. You don't know what the buyer situation is.... they could have a dead TiVo and really need a DVR, and now you are trying to hold up delivering it.

You should either ship on the agreed date or explain to the buyer that your Roamio doesn't work as needed and you need to keep your Premiere, and try to get the buyer to agree to canceling the auction.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
gsusser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Holding onto it is almost as bad as trying to back out of the sale. You don't know what the buyer situation is.... they could have a dead TiVo and really need a DVR, and now you are trying to hold up delivering it.

You should either ship on the agreed date or explain to the buyer that your Roamio doesn't work as needed and you need to keep your Premiere, and try to get the buyer to agree to canceling the auction.
Stop lecturing! I gave the buyer a plethora of choices, including shipping as agreed tomorrow or giving a full refund and not shipping or a partial refund if shipped late. Can you address the question instead of my integrity?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Grakthis

No, dude. It's a contract to sell the unit. If you back out of that deal, Ebay will beat you up for that pretty badly, potentially suspending your account. You don't get to list something then just NOT sell it when the time comes because you changed your mind. That's awful.

Ship the unit.

If you find that you need the unit back, well, go buy a new one. Your mistake.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
jmpage2

Quote:
Stop lecturing! I gave the buyer a plethora of choices, including shipping as agreed tomorrow or giving a full refund and not shipping or a partial refund if shipped late. Can you address the question instead of my integrity?
Sure, let's address your question.....

TiVo has indicated that they think the problem is insufficient signal strength. TiVo has shown no indication that they believe you have a problem that cannot be resolved.

So, wait for Verizon to come out and address the issue TiVo has identified before you go off the rails about this. Did you get the phone # of the TiVo supervisor? Hopefully you got their name and #. Get them on the line during or after the Verizon visit and if the signal strength is addressed and you are still having problems ask them about next steps... remind them that you had a Premiere that worked perfectly fine with that signal, with that cable-card, etc.... point out how expensive the Roamio is with new service and that you require this issue be prioritized and fixed. Keep notes of everything and the name and extension # of everyone you speak to at both companies.

And, ship the TiVo to the eBay buyer who paid for it. The technical challenges are not that buyers fault. I'm not "lecturing" you at all, just giving you advice from someone who has done a lot of business over eBay. No one likes the seller who backs out at the 11th hour after completing a sale.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #27
Grakthis

Quote:
The question was "what should you do."

The answer is "ship the tivo you sold and were paid for."

I would never be happy with a cable company DVR and I'd fight with Verizon until they got my TiVo working. But that's because I am stubborn.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #28
gsusser

Ok to everyone. I'll wait for Verizon and ship the old TiVo. I didn't think it was a big deal with the old TiVo since I told the buyer I would ship as agreed if he wanted. Anyway, yes, I have extensive notes. But dealing with Verizon, phone or chat, is a real exercise in patience. And some techs at TiVo are the same, though the vast majority are good.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #29
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I'm sorry to keep posting and bugging the forum. However, I could really use advice.

I got an incredibly helpful TiVo supervisor on the phone last night. It seems my problem is insufficient signal strength from Verizon. This probably was my problem all along...
Did you check signal strength on the TiVo (either in the CC screens or the menu item that displays signal strength)? If so, what were the numbers?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
gsusser

About 66 percent