TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #91
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Social media has resulted in the de-Tivovication of society. People want to be able to talk about things with other people and they want to do it now. You're never going to convince everyone to avoid posting "spoilers." Spoilerphobes need to stay off the internet.
I was just talking to my brother yesterday and said "Dude!! Tonight!! Another Breaking Bad!!!" and then he reminded me he's one of those cord-cutting people that watches everything a day later when they're on the web. I know a few people like that now.

So even without TiVo there is still a desperate cry from some to hold off on the spoilers for a day on Facebook. I can't risk it - gotta watch it live. I even got worried when we started it 20 minutes late last night.

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #92
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think it would have been more dramatic that if Hank and Gomez do die, then the last scene of the episode is the bullet hitting them, blood splattering, Walt yelling NOooooo and their bodies hitting the ground. cut to credits. Rather than waiting a week to find out that really, they didn't die and all is well. Bleh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #93
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
of all the people involved in the shootout, Walt is the least responsible for that happening.
Although I agree with the sentiment that others also played at least a small part in setting this in motion, I don't know that I've ever disagreed more strongly with a post than this particular snipping.

Quote:
What Walt "set in motion" was only in fear for his life. In fact, most of what Walt has set in motion has been in fear for his or his family's life.
Well, that and protecting his money of course (which is what set in motion the shootout)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Oops, conflation.

Even so, in most states (I know Minnesota is one of them) you only need one party's permission to record a phone call.
Even without the recording, you'd have three witnesses who heard Walt's confession. I won't derail this thread with a discussion the rules of evidence, but under the federal rules or those of any state that I'm aware of, that confession is either not hearsay or would fall within one of the exceptions to the general inadmissibility of hearsay statements.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #94
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I think it would have been more dramatic that if Hank and Gomez do die, then the last scene of the episode is the bullet hitting them, blood splattering, Walt yelling NOooooo and their bodies hitting the ground. cut to credits. Rather than waiting a week to find out that really, they didn't die and all is well. Bleh.
Oh, I think somebody is going to die. I just have no clue who it might be. Wasn't Gomez hit?

Anyone else think that Meth Damon is a little sweet on Lydia?
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #95
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
...Anyone else think that Meth Damon is a little sweet on Lydia?
Yeah, he was eying her and the lipstick on that teacup mighty creepily...
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #96
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Absolutely this....exactly what I was saying (even out loud)....how could Jesse be out there talking to Walt on a cell when Walt's losing his signal. And I'm pretty sure that's what happened even though Walt yelled into the phone *I didn't hang up Jesse!*
That didn't bother me. I've had plenty of experience with different carriers having wildly different signal strengths in certain areas. I would just assume it was that.

And let's face it, Walt was pretty...emotional from seeing the picture of his money having been dug up. How would Jesse have that picture if he wasn't where the money was?

All in all, it was a pretty good episode for people being more clever than Walt.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #97
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:

Social media has resulted in the de-Tivovication of society. People want to be able to talk about things with other people and they want to do it now. You're never going to convince everyone to avoid posting "spoilers." Spoilerphobes need to stay off the internet.
I know, but this particular episode seems to have more immediate discussion that the others.

Which is why I'm glad I watched it, no hope remaining spoiler free these days.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #98
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

I didn't think Walt lost the signal, I assumed they got what they needed (the confession) and killed the call.

But maybe he did just lose the signal.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #99
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I'm certain that at least two of them survive because...

Spoiler:
Both Cranston and Paul are on the set of the finale, according to this week's EW!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #100
jkeegan

Yeah, to be clear, I wasn't complaining about it, and I agree that they probably got all they needed and ended the call. But before we knew that, I expected a scene where Walt looked at his phone and saw zero bars (but he was practically there), then muttered something to himself like "how could he have a signal if I don't?", and figure it out.

It didn't bother me, it's just that's where I thought it was going until Walt yelled "I didn't hang up!!".

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #101
jkeegan

DAMN IT.. Damned email alerts about the thread. They showed that spoiler in visible text. Grrrr. Don't click.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #102
Azlen

Quote:
Which is why networks are putting hashtags on everything. They want people to watch it live. They want people to sit through the ads. Networks love it when their shows are spoiled online after airing.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #103
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
DAMN IT.. Damned email alerts about the thread. They showed that spoiler in visible text. Grrrr. Don't click.
I fail to understand the point in people posting spoilers, I just don't get what is gained.

Someone pointed out that they made a pretty clear point of Gomie collecting the car keys.

The more I think about that shootout (and to a lesser extent the fact that Walt had the lottery ticket - why did he have it on him ?) the more annoyed I become about this episode.

However I try to remember that it seemed that Walt being caught was going to be the end of the episode and really had me trying to figure out how it was going to be resolved, so the tension/power of the episode still holds up - I suppose.

I also can't remember any humor or stress relief moments in this episodes.

For the end of the show I still say Jesse has to survive since it's a show about Walt and Jesse (to the last ep at least) and I suspect that Jesse somehow is going to come out ahead. I think it's going to end with something to do with Jack's gang and/or the Czech's, which is somehow disappointing to me, because they are basically new and somewhat undeveloped groups of characters.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #104
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Still catching up on the thread, but I will say I was really impressed with where they ended the episode. A lesser show would have ended it with the guys pointing their guns at each other, before anyone open fired. Their choice to end it in the middle of the gunfight surprised me and put a smile on my face.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #105
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Walt Jr. and Saul in the car wash was as close as they came to some humor I think.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #106
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Re: The Lottery Ticket

It makes total sense to me that he grabbed it from the house after Jesse was there, to keep it safe. Because he's operating in "survival mode" right now he hasn't had a chance to put the ticket in a new, secure location for Skylar.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #107
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

He thinks he is dying. It makes sense for him to document where the money is either for his family or in case of chemo or cancer-induced brain troubles. I don't know why he brought it with him, but Bryanmc's makes sense to me. It certainly didn't seem completely preposterous.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #108
whitson77
Director Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
I'm glad I watched this last night, people are being a little too free with their Facebook statuses today for my tastes.
I scanned my feed and didn't see a one. You must have lots of friends who break the rules!
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #109
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
I was 80% sure that Walt had lost a signal talking to Jesse, then would realize that he had no signal, and that Jesse couldn't have a signal way out there in the desert either, and realize he was being played.

I thought he would stop the car right on that bend, figure it out, and then drive somewhere else.
Yeah, that. I also wondered if there'd be something about Jesse saying the money was burning in nice orange flames that Walt would've fallen back on to figure out Jesse wasn't burning money. I guess I was figuring that somehow Walt would figure out from the conversation some clue, but the writers chose a different path.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #110
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Anyone else think that Meth Damon is a little sweet on Lydia?
Definitely. But, see, with him, you don't know if he wants to f**k her, or f**k her up. As much of teh crazy as that guy has, it could be both, and I'm not certain of the order, either.

Great episode! About Walt being all to eager to confess on the phone, I think that's because he's wanting to do anything he can to protect the money, and that's the best he can think of while driving twice the speed limit on small and/or dirt roads in his big honkin' 425HP sedan.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #111
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Jesse will survive the shootout. Of course, that may mean Todd's uncle and the rest may have to die. Not quite sure how that happens. But it seems like these guys are bent on killing Jesse, even if Walt tried to wave them off.

Hank has gotta be toast. But i was expecting him to eventually die at the hands of Walt.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #112
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

My speculation for Walt's big gun usage:

Spoiler:
I think it's becoming clear, to me, that the big show down is going to be with the Aryan gang and Walt. They need him to fix the cook and are going to threaten his family in order to get him to capitulate. Walt and family will flee town and Walt returns to finish them off and save his family before he dies of cancer.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #113
JohnB1000

Quote:

Spoiler:
I think it's becoming clear, to me, that the big show down is going to be with the Aryan gang and Walt. They need him to fix the cook and are going to threaten his family in order to get him to capitulate. Walt and family will flee town and Walt returns to finish them off and save his family before he dies of cancer.
My comment on your speculation

Spoiler:
and that's kind of what I was getting at earlier. All this build up between Hank and Jesse and Walt then the final shootout is with the peripheral Aryan gang ?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #114
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D View Post
Well, that and protecting his money of course (which is what set in motion the shootout)
He wasn't trying to protect his money; he was trying to protect his life. He thought Jesse was trying to get him alone to kill him.

Once he realized that it was Hank and Gomez who were with Jesse, he called off the attack.

The question was asked in an earlier thread when Walt had sacrificed anything for his family.

He did so when he killed the thugs for Jesse, he did so when he was willing to turn himself in so that Skyler and the kids could get the money, and he did so in this episode. He was willing to turn himself in and give up all his money so that Hank wouldn't die.

So while he obviously cares a lot about the money, he has demonstrated that he still cares for his family, including extended family, more. And I believe he was being honest with Jesse when he told him that burning the money was hurting his family more than him because the money was ultimately for them. I think Walt cares about the money not as wealth in and of itself (i.e., greed), but in relation to how much he cares about his family. He cares about the money only because he wants it to be available to them.

Quote:
That didn't bother me. I've had plenty of experience with different carriers having wildly different signal strengths in certain areas. I would just assume it was that.
Plus, it only takes one dead area to drop a call, even if most of the area is still covered. And since Walt was able to make a call from the site, we know Jesse could have had he actually been there.

Quote:
And let's face it, Walt was pretty...emotional from seeing the picture of his money having been dug up. How would Jesse have that picture if he wasn't where the money was?
And, as Hank pointed out, he didn't even realize that the dirt was different.

I thought it was a perfect way to demonstrate Walt unraveling. His old methodical self would have been far more careful, but he is changing.

The fact that he buried the money in a location familiar to Jesse also likely contributed to the believability of Jesse's story. There was probably the question lingering in his subconscious mind, "What if Jesse happened to find my money?"
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #115
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Spoiler:

I can see this happening.
Spoiler:

What would really be awesome if just somehow Jesse and Walt teamed up to do this. Just one more time working together. One more "yo, science" but in a good way.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #116
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
He wasn't trying to protect his money; he was trying to protect his life. He thought Jesse was trying to get him alone to kill him.

Once he realized that it was Hank and Gomez who were with Jesse, he called off the attack.

The question was asked in an earlier thread when Walt had sacrificed anything for his family.

He did so when he killed the thugs for Jesse, he did so when he was willing to turn himself in so that Skyler and the kids could get the money, and he did so in this episode. He was willing to turn himself in and give up all his money so that Hank wouldn't die.

So while he obviously cares a lot about the money, he has demonstrated that he still cares for his family, including extended family, more. And I believe he was being honest with Jesse when he told him that burning the money was hurting his family more than him because the money was ultimately for them. I think Walt cares about the money not as wealth in and of itself (i.e., greed), but in relation to how much he cares about his family. He cares about the money only because he wants it to be available to them.
Good point. Walt called it off when Hank was in real danger, not just a threat to him.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #117
brianric

Quote:
I'm glad I watched this last night, people are being a little too free with their Facebook statuses today for my tastes.
I'm a big fan of Survivor and regularly discuss with a co-worker the next day on what went on. Well, one morning I got called in to work at 1 AM, so I didn't see the recorded show. I hung up signs all over the work area saying "Shut up Glen, I did not get a chance to see last night's Survivor".
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #118
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frash View Post
Maybe Marie's the one who trashes Walt's house? Who else would at this point?
I can't see Marie writing "Heisenberg" on the wall. I don't think she's the trasher. My vote is the Nazi gang, though I would think they'd do a lot more damage.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #119
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
I can't see Marie writing "Heisenberg" on the wall. I don't think she's the trasher. My vote is the Nazi gang, though I would think they'd do a lot more damage.
It could also have been the DEA. I doubt they would write "Heisenberg" on the wall, but that might have come after the house was already abandoned and in disarray.

If Hank and/or Gomez dies, and it seems likely that at least one of them will, that will get the DEA's attention. Marie knows about Walt, so even if Hank and Gomez aren't available to talk to the DEA, they can find out about Walt from her.

The DEA might then bust into Walt's house, and trash it looking for evidence.

We saw that the house was fenced off and boarded up, and I doubt anyone other than an institution of authority would have done that.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post

Saul at the car wash.
702 is offline   Reply With Quote