Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
Mark Rubin

Tivo IOS8 app crashes on startup

Hi

please forgive me if asked & answered but I am seeking help:

since I updated iPads to IOS 8.02, my Tivo app crashes at start up: wired Ethernet/static IP

one iPad with IOS7x the app still works

I have tried everything (removed/reinstall app, different WAP, IP address, tried wireless Tivo ...) and believe it is a Tivo issue, but I cannot get anyone at Tivo to help

any help would be appreciated

Mark

edit: Tivo fixed this issue in an iPad app updae 20 Nov

Last edited by Mark Rubin : 11-21-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Mark Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
SrLANGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rubin View Post
Hi

please forgive me if asked & answered but I am seeking help:

since I updated iPads to IOS 8.02, my Tivo app crashes at start up: wired Ethernet/static IP

one iPad with IOS7x the app still works

I have tried everything (removed/reinstall app, different WAP, IP address, tried wireless Tivo ...) and believe it is a Tivo issue, but I cannot get anyone at Tivo to help

Mark
iOS 8.1 will be out tomorrow and maybe it will help. I'd also suggest restarting your TiVo, wireless router, and iPad too. Good luck!

I have an iPad mini and an iPad Air, both have iOS 8.0.2 and the TiVo app works fine (although the app has always been a little buggy).
SrLANGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Mark Rubin

thanks

I tried everything you mentioned: I can access the app but not from my home: I tried a different WAP, a different IP address, rebooted everything

Problem is Tivo support just does not support: one CSR told me they do not support IOS 8.02: another told me this was the first such report: yet when I do web searches I see others have the same issue

the app starts, I see connecting spin, then it crashes back to IOS main screen

My one iPad with IOS 7 works fine...
Old 10-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Mark Rubin

upgraded to 8.1

app still crashes

anyone want to buy an almost new Tivo Roamio Pro? I just don't want to deal with this any more
Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
upgraded to 8.1

app still crashes

anyone want to buy an almost new Tivo Roamio Pro? I just don't want to deal with this any more
Does it have lifetime service?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Diana Collins

FWIW, I have been using the TiVo app very heavily since early September (been doing a LOT of traveling) on my iPad (gen 4) and I upgraded to iOS 8 when it became available and have had no problems. I have been able to both download and stream on iOS 8. I did not upgrade to 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 on my iPad, but I did take 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 on my iPhone and the TiVo app works there as well. I have not yet taken the 8.1 upgrade on either device.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
upgraded to 8.1

app still crashes

Let me get this straight. You have an app that works on your device with iOS7, doesn't work on your device with iOS8 although other people report no problems with running it on iOS8 and you expect TiVo to figure out what the problem is? But you "just don't want to deal with this any more." so you're selling your TiVo?

Yeah makes perfect sense.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

You've got the early adopter woes... you gotta wait several weeks-months/versions in with major updates like this one or you run the risk...

Seems like only a quarter to a third of the apps on my Ipad have had IOS 8 functionality/stability updates so far. A few have had several. Because the majority of my core apps haven't gotten updates, I'm still on IOS 7 on my Ipad 4, which crashes every day as it is.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #9

Mine also crashes all the time and it sucks.

I've given TiVo a lot of money through the years and it's frustrating. I paid good money with the expectation that the features they advertise will actually work as described...
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Mark Rubin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post

I've given TiVo a lot of money through the years and it's frustrating. I paid good money with the expectation that the features they advertise will actually work as described...
yes I agree: very frustrating

and Tivo customer service does not have a clue: if I could just get a straight answer from them it would help: all I get is the run around

what really gets me is some users report their app works with IOS 8....
Old 10-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
mr_smits

Quote:

The Android version is working nicely now, so you can always pick up a Nexus 7 and go nuts.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
mpnret

Quote:
what really gets me is some users report their app works with IOS 8....
My Ipad has been working fine on IOS 8.0.2 and before that IOS 8.0. I did have some problems early on but I think that may have coincided with the spinning blue circle TiVo server issues.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:

And how much have you given Apple? Have you complained to them?

This is like blaming TiVo for crappy support for CableCARD by the MSOs or TWC marking most everything copy protected.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:

If you were responding to me, I was referring to the fact that IOS 7 crashes every day for me. Task-switch too quick with larger apps/games and its almost 100% reproducible. Im pretty tired of the the friggin black screen with the apple. I literally have to count to 5 between apps to have a healthy chance of launching. IOS 6 and older, it was pretty darn solid. Pretty terrible design that it simply runs out of memory and croaks. This alone has stopped me from upgrading from my Ipad 4 and has me pondering what my next tablet should be.

The tivo app has been solid, outside of streaming quirks.

lol I just woke it up and got the black screen.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #15
saronian

Quote:
...I have tried everything (removed/reinstall app, different WAP, IP address, tried wireless Tivo ...) and believe it is a Tivo issue, but I cannot get anyone at Tivo to help

Mark
I'm using the TiVo App 3.3.1 on an iPad 2 & iPhone 6 without a problem. It worked with iOS 7 and now iOS 8.1. So I would focus on your iPad.

It was a good idea to try reinstalling the app, but as you said noting has worked. I would try the following.

Delete the app from both the iPad and iTunes if you use it for syncing your apps and content.

Quit all apps running in the background on the iPad and then turn it off. Turn it back on and after the home screen is up, do a force restart by holding the down both the start and home buttons until it turns off.

Then start the iPad again and download and install the TiVo app.

If it still crashes there are two more things to try, both are a pain, but could help. Try resetting the network settings. That's in Settings / General / Reset / Reset Network Settings. Afterward you'll need to re-enter your Wi-Fi password on the iPad.

If it still crashes you can try restoring the system using iTunes.

Good luck.
saronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #16
ljknight

Quote:
upgraded to 8.1

app still crashes

What's your price?
ljknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
And how much have you given Apple? Have you complained to them?

This is like blaming TiVo for crappy support for CableCARD by the MSOs or TWC marking most everything copy protected.
Yes, the TiVo app, which worked perfectly in iOS 6 and iOS 7, suddenly crashing every time you launch it on a wifi network that isn't your home network is obviously Apple's fault.

I mean, it's not like iOS 8 has been available to developers for testing for 5 months now or anything.

This is TiVo screwing up. If it was Apple, I would say so, but it isn't.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #18
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes, the TiVo app, which worked perfectly in iOS 6 and iOS 7, suddenly crashing every time you launch it on a wifi network that isn't your home network is obviously Apple's fault.

I mean, it's not like iOS 8 has been available to developers for testing for 5 months now or anything.

This is TiVo screwing up. If it was Apple, I would say so, but it isn't.
So app developers are supposed to possibly mod their products every time Apple chooses to make some change to their OS? You've been drinking too much Apple juice.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #19
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
So app developers are supposed to possibly mod their products every time Apple chooses to make some change to their OS? You've been drinking too much Apple juice.
No, developers are supposed to follow the guidelines of the software development kit. When developers take shortcuts, and the OS changes, problems happen.

But, lets play the other side -- Apple changed something that broke or is causing problems for the app. These changes were surely laid out well in advance at the developers meeting. Developers are always given advance notice of changes that may affect their apps.

iOS, Android, Mac OS X, Windows...it's the same process. There's no upside for a hardware manufacturer to break apps...
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
No, developers are supposed to follow the guidelines of the software development kit. When developers take shortcuts, and the OS changes, problems happen.

But, lets play the other side -- Apple changed something that broke or is causing problems for the app. These changes were surely laid out well in advance at the developers meeting. Developers are always given advance notice of changes that may affect their apps.

iOS, Android, Mac OS X, Windows...it's the same process. There's no upside for a hardware manufacturer to break apps...
And the fact that others report that it does work on their iOS8 systems means nothing to you? And you know for a fact that it is all TiVos fault? I misspoke when I used the phrase Apple juice. It's applesauce.

I also assume that your phone isn't jail broken.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #21
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

For those having trouble, I've been suffering the same crash-on-launch problem and found a workaround if you have a cellular-enabled device(iphone or ipad with cell). If I turn off wifi before launching, I can get into the app(it seems ok with using the cell network to launch and get initial data), and then I can re-enable wifi for streaming.

If I exit the app, then force-quit it (double tap home, slide up on the tivo app icon), leaving wifi enabled, the app then goes back to crashing on launch. And it also crashes if I just exit the app and do not re-enter it until much later. So this isn't in any way a permanent fix - and won't help with non-cellular ipads and ipods at all. But it might help some people until TiVo and/or Apple does whatever they need to do to fix this properly.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #22
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
And the fact that others report that it does work on their iOS8 systems means nothing to you? And you know for a fact that it is all TiVos fault?
That some users do have problems with the TiVo app and some some don't doesn't say anything about who is at fault.

But I don't see how it can be Apple's fault -- they didn't write the code in the TiVo app!

Other streaming apps work fine, so the underlying APIs would seem to be okay.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
Mark Rubin

thanks for all the replies: I still have one iPad that I did not update to IOS 8 so I still can use the app on one iPad

this is like the old days when cablecards first came out and there were problems: Tivo would blame it on Comcast who in turn would blame it on Tivo

as a paying customer, I don't care who fixes it, I just want it fixed...and I want Tivo to step up and confirm there is a problem with their app and they are working to fix it, or to say they identified an IOS issue and asked Apple to fix it.... I don't think that is too much to ask
Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #24
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Amazon just updated their instant video app a couple days ago for IOS 8 problems. Amazon is what, 1000x bigger than Tivo? 10000x?

IOS 8 must be bug-free, this is Apple we're talking about here <cough>
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10...ase-date-tips/
(randomly chosen out of the available horde)

Anyway... back to reality: Mark, you said in the 1st post you "couldnt get anyone at tivo to help". What method(s) have you tried? Official forums? Calling support? Tweeting or emailing Margaret? Maybe an alternative method might yield better results?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
Mark Rubin

I called Tivo support and the CSR said he had never heard of the issue and they have NO reports from other users: he said he would log it as 'trending' meaning it was a new issue to them

and I went to CSR on line chat and the response I got was the Tivo app is not supported on IOS 8

to me neither answer is satisfactory

If you look at IOS app updates, you will see multiple updates of just about every other app to keep up with IOS 8xxx:now look at when the Tivo app last got updated....

I am sure it is quite an undertaking for these developers to keep up with IOS updates, but that is what they get paid to do

Last edited by Mark Rubin : 10-23-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #26
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
I called Tivo support and the CSR said he had never heard of the issue and they have NO reports from other users: he said he would log it as 'trending' meaning it was a new issue to them

and I went to CSR on line chat and the response I got was the Tivo app is not supported on IOS 8

to me neither answer is satisfactory

If you look at IOS app updates, you will see multiple updates of just about every other app to keep up with IOS 8xxx:now look at when the Tivo app last got updated....

I am sure it is quite an undertaking for these developers to keep up with IOS updates, but that is what they get paid to do
FWIW, I'm pretty sure I was having this issue prior to iOS8. I've had a number of issues with TiVo's app since I started using it. I don't really even attempt to stream very often..mostly just use it for remote scheduling.

Regardless of bugs, the TiVo app needs to be updated for the 6/6 Plus form factors, and probably for the 'improved streaming' that's being reported to come in the winter TiVo update. I'd hope that's coming soon, and with it bug fixes too (of course, knowing TiVo there will be all new bugs to live with when it happens).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #27
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
I don't really even attempt to stream very often..mostly just use it for remote scheduling.
I've found it easier and faster to use tivo.com for remote scheduling.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #28

I just turn off wifi and use the app when I'm at work. It's annoying, but I can deal with it until they fix it. Which on TiVos schedule should be right around iOS 9 launches and breaks something else.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #29
Mark Rubin

so Tivo releases Version 3.4 update for IOS today...still no joy: still crashes on IOS 8xxx

still works on IOS 7xxx
Old 10-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #30
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
so Tivo releases Version 3.4 update for IOS today...still no joy: still crashes on IOS 8xxx

still works on IOS 7xxx
That is so odd Mark.

I currently have 8xxx loaded on 5 devices, both phones and tablets, and it is working fine. I don't think you issue is the OS.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote