TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
mcluvin

Switching from DirecTV to Roamio + Minis on Brighthouse

I've been using multiple DirecTV DVRs for years and have been pretty happy with the service other than the cost. We're getting ready to move to a Brighthouse area and I'm strongly considering switching to Brighthouse and purchasing a Roamio plus a couple Minis. For those with such a setup, would any of you say it has been fairly trouble free? I would plan on using most of the features such as streaming my own DVDrips and home movies, netflix, etc. Wondering if anyone is using wireless AC or powerline networking successfully?

Thanks,
Chris
mcluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
jwall29

I use Brighthouse cable in Tampa, Fl. I have a roamio plus with 2 minis set up though western digital powerline ethernet. I use netflix on both minis with no problem. The only problem I have is when I'm downloading torrents and watching live or recorded TV on the mini at the same time, the sound cuts in and out of the mini.
jwall29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcluvin View Post
I've been using multiple DirecTV DVRs for years and have been pretty happy with the service other than the cost. We're getting ready to move to a Brighthouse area and I'm strongly considering switching to Brighthouse and purchasing a Roamio plus a couple Minis. For those with such a setup, would any of you say it has been fairly trouble free? I would plan on using most of the features such as streaming my own DVDrips and home movies, netflix, etc. Wondering if anyone is using wireless AC or powerline networking successfully? Thanks, Chris
If you're using a Roamio plus then just activate and use moca. That should be better than powerline Ethernet.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
jwbelcher

Quote:
I've been using multiple DirecTV DVRs for years and have been pretty happy with the service other than the cost. We're getting ready to move to a Brighthouse area and I'm strongly considering switching to Brighthouse and purchasing a Roamio plus a couple Minis. For those with such a setup, would any of you say it has been fairly trouble free? I would plan on using most of the features such as streaming my own DVDrips and home movies, netflix, etc. Wondering if anyone is using wireless AC or powerline networking successfully?

Thanks,
Chris
I'm on BHN. I'd say fairly trouble-free. You might have a TA hiccup once in a while, but its possible to go months without a TA issue. For example, I had zero hiccups from Dec to Mar. I did have one last night and needed a reboot, so I'm now starting over my days since incident

Anyway, you'll probably do better with MoCA than powerline / wireless. I've had 6 minis on MoCA without issues. Netflix has been great on both the Pro and Minis - we've gotten in the habit of using the TiVo rather than switching to the Roku input.

Desktop video transfers are slow at them moment with the latest software, but I'm guessing they'll get it fixed in the next release. Overall I'm happy and would recommend should you decide to invest in owning your own equipment.

I'd recommend to post here »Bright House Networks Direct when your ready to pair your CableCard.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
truman861

If you use Brighthouse, you will need a tuning adapter to go along with your cable card, fyi they are getting harder to get in the tampa bay area.
Also I have had problems out the ying yang with their cable card and tuning adapter setup. Anoher thing you wont be able to stream programs either to another device such as an Ipad or download them to your computer with the tivo desktop software.
I myself just left brighthouse 2 weeks ago and switched to Verizon fios which sadly is not avail in all areas of Tampa. No tuning adapter required and no copyright protection so I can stream out of the house which is nice.
I am running a roamio plus and 3 minis, I run it over the Moca network with no problems. Thats another thing, most Brighthouse routers DO NOT have Moca enabled routers so you will need your Roamio wired via an ethernet cable unless you have a moca adapter somewhere on your network. - Another plus to Verizon Fios - Their routers have built in Moca.
Food for thought but the roamio and mini setup works great.
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
mcluvin

Pulled the trigger

Thanks for the advice guys! Just pulled the trigger on my order. Should have things setup by next weekend.

Chris
Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
ahwman

Quote:

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,

I'm a BHN customer is SE Michigan with a TiVo Roamio Pro/Mini and I truly hope for your sake you have better luck than I with BHN and TiVo as it has been a complete NIGHTMARE for me since day one. I have literally been working with both TiVo and BHN since last August to try and solve my issue with SDV channels constantly going out and requiring me to power-cycle my tuning adapter every 1-3 days. I have replaced every single piece of equipment on my end including the TiVo as well as having all of my signal levels checked from the pole right to my TiVo by their senior engineer and BHN blames TiVo and visa versa. Finally, throw Motorola into the mix who makes the tuning adapter and it becomes a cluster ___. Sadly, I'm starting to concede that this will never get solved...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Ieolus

I use ethernet over powerline from my Roamio Pro to my router (with a gigabit switch in between) and it works just fine.

I have my 3 minis connected via MoCa.
Ieolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
mcf57

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieolus View Post
I use ethernet over powerline from my Roamio Pro to my router (with a gigabit switch in between) and it works just fine.

I have my 3 minis connected via MoCa.
I am currently using direct ethernet connections to several TiVos (S3, Premieres & Mini) and through several routers/switches. Everything works great.

I have a friend who may do something similar (4-tuner and Minis) & I was gonna help, but they would have to go with either powerline products or MoCA. I initially thought maybe powerline would be better, but maybe not.

When true/direct ethernet is not an easy option, which would be better to go with?
500GB 2-tuner Premiere
500GB S3 (OLED)
160GB TiVO HD

Last edited by mcf57 : 05-09-2014 at 09:54 AM.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
....When true/direct ethernet is not an easy option, which would be better to go with?
MoCA
Old 05-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
mcf57

I just realized they have several splitters feeding various rooms. Basically, one coax line comes from outside (cable company) & then goes into a 3-way splitter. Then, each output from this splitter goes to a room with a TV (ultimately where the TiVos will go).

Will this splitter affect using MoCA?
500GB 2-tuner Premiere
500GB S3 (OLED)
160GB TiVO HD
Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
HarperVision

That should be fine as long as the splitters are rated for at least 1GHz.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
mcf57

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
That should be fine as long as the splitters are rated for at least 1GHz.

The splitter is inside the house, behind drywall & not accessible. Other than cutting an access hole (which we have thought about, but are not totally sure where it is at), is there any other way to determine if the splitter is rated for at least 1Ghz?
500GB 2-tuner Premiere
500GB S3 (OLED)
160GB TiVO HD
Old 05-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
The splitter is inside the house, behind drywall & not accessible. Other than cutting an access hole (which we have thought about, but are not totally sure where it is at), is there any other way to determine if the splitter is rated for at least 1Ghz?
Splitters can fail. It should not have been put inside a wall.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #15
mcf57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Splitters can fail. It should not have been put inside a wall.
Agreed, but that wasn't the question. Again, is there any other way to determine if the splitter is rated for at least 1Ghz?
500GB 2-tuner Premiere
500GB S3 (OLED)
160GB TiVO HD
Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Agreed, but that wasn't the question. Again, is there any other way to determine if the splitter is rated for at least 1Ghz?
Not if it's behind the wall, unless you want to open up the wall to look at it. But even if it's just a 900 Mhz splitter, MoCA may still work just fine through it, as MoCA is designed to "power through" splitters. The only way to really find out if it will work through your current wiring is by setting up a MoCA network and trying it out. If it works, you're all set. If it doesn't work you'll have to do some troubleshooting.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #17
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I could never advise anything, except to get an access hole cut if there is a splitter concealed inside.

It could be some completely improper, or under-rated, one. It may have loose connections, or condensation damage (common in sealed wall spaces).

There's too many unknowns to advise anything else. There's no remotely accurate way to determine the rating of the splitter, without access. There's countless unknowns when you know something has been drywalled-in.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #18
mcluvin

Called and ordered the install for next Friday. Saved $100 thanks to a USPS movers coupon and they are currently waiving activation fees so another $50 there. I got the premier package with lightning 90. The lady insisted I needed to have 1 set top box to get the package price. I didn't feel like arguing and figured I'd just return it after the install, but don't really want to pay $8 per month for something I don't need. Is this true?

Chris
Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #19
jwbelcher

Yes, its true. It will break your bundled price and will cost you more. I've had a spare DVR since 2007. Although, it does helps when you have signal issues so your not reporting it as an issue on your TiVo. The first reaction is to blame it on the equipment....
Old 05-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #20
mcluvin

This is kind of confusing. They require a standard box with premier at $8 a pop, but the standard package doesn't require a standard box (at least not online). If I get standard package with DVR service + lightning 30 it shows as ~$94 online, but does that include 1 DVR or will the DVR be an additional cost?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #21
jwbelcher

The way they look at "Premier Service" and "HD DVR Service" packages is that at least 1 box is required to access those channels / features.

I think HD DVR Service its included because you can't have the "HD DVR Service" without them providing an associated DVR box. For example, my statement doesn't show a monthly rental free for the DVR set-top.

Now looking at the online slider, it is kind of confusing, you'd think Premier would include the set-top box since you can't access all the channels without it (or a cablecard).

Last edited by jwbelcher : 05-10-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: corrected post info.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #22
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

MoCA POE and Cisco Tuning Adapters

If you have issues with the Tuning Adapter after you turn on MoCA, try putting a POE Filter on the TA.

I was doing some testing the other night for a friend, and I decided to switch one of my Minis to use MoCA and bridge the Ethernet on the Roamio.

I split the incoming Coax to the TA and Roamio Pro (I usually use the RF pass-through which will not pass MoCA)
Turned on Ethernet + MoCA
Connected the Mini to the Coax only and changed the Network configuration to use MoCA.

The Tuning Adapter immediately started failing the tuning requests of SDV channels. The channels would briefly display but immediately I was presented with the Select to View this channel message, which did not bring the channel back.

The Cox Cisco TA install sheet shows using a MoCA POE filter before the TA, I never understood why. I assume the excess noise caused by the MoCA was causing the TA to fail.
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...ourCiscoTA.pdf

After placing the POE filter on the TA, the TA started working again as normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #23
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
If you have issues with the Tuning Adapter after you turn on MoCA, try putting a POE Filter on the TA.

I was doing some testing the other night for a friend, and I decided to switch one of my Minis to use MoCA and bridge the Ethernet on the Roamio.

I split the incoming Coax to the TA and Roamio Pro (I usually use the RF pass-through which will not pass MoCA)
Turned on Ethernet + MoCA
Connected the Mini to the Coax only and changed the Network configuration to use MoCA.

The Tuning Adapter immediately started failing the tuning requests of SDV channels. The channels would briefly display but immediately I was presented with the Select to View this channel message, which did not bring the channel back.

The Cox Cisco TA install sheet shows using a MoCA POE filter before the TA, I never understood why. I assume the excess noise caused by the MoCA was causing the TA to fail.
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...ourCiscoTA.pdf

After placing the POE filter on the TA, the TA started working again as normal.
I'm happy that you got the opportunity to see this happen, for yourself. Now, we can split the workload of bringing this up with every new-to-MoCA member that is looking for advice.

They never seem to stop coming, and many are new members, starting new threads, rather than using what exists, so it can be a bit exhausting.

PoE = Poltergeist of Entry, when it comes to Cisco TAs. Best to filter them out, by bouncing them back where they belong.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #24
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
......PoE = Poltergeist of Entry, when it comes to Cisco TAs. Best to filter them out, by bouncing them back where they belong.
Great, thanks for clearing that up. Here I thought it meant "Piece of Excrement"!
Old 05-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
mcluvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
The way they look at "Premier Service" and "HD DVR Service" packages is that at least 1 box is required to access those channels / features.

I think HD DVR Service its included because you can't have the "HD DVR Service" without them providing an associated DVR box. For example, my statement doesn't show a monthly rental free for the DVR set-top.

Now looking at the online slider, it is kind of confusing, you'd think Premier would include the set-top box since you can't access all the channels without it (or a cablecard).
I tried to chat with them and never could get it to work, so sent them an e-mail. The rep said the standard package price doesn't include the cost of hardware, so you are paying $8 per box with the standard package or the premier package, but it is possible with the non-DVR standard package to just use digital adapters.

What a convoluted mess the TV industry is now.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #26
xbr23

i am on BH in central FL and have Roamio Pro with 2 Mini's setup and working over Moca.

i bought a Motorola SBG-6782 wireless router with built in Moca and use that with BH. it is an approved BH router and has dual band 2.4/5.0 ac wireless. works great.

took some time to get everything working because networking is not my favorite thing.... splitter here or there, cable card, tuning adapter. several phone calls to BH tech support but after all that, my network has been bulletproof. i love the Motorola router, highly recommend the $ 200.00 investment.

Last edited by xbr23 : 05-11-2014 at 07:58 PM.
xbr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #27
mcluvin

I have had so many issues with this order it is unreal. I'm finally down to just a problematic cable card. I didn't notice during install, but the tech actually put a cable card in my tivo that had a sticky note saying "won't download". At least pull the the note off before sticking me with a bad card. Ha!

Going to try to get a mini working this evening. Thanks for all the helpful posts guys. I do try to research before asking, but it is a lot of info to digest.

Chris
Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #28
mcluvin

I'm impressed with the mini performance other than the remote. I'll put my slider on the roamio and the roamio remote on the mini. Had to go down to the local brighthouse to get a new cable card after a no-show by the tech.. Still not getting BBCA. Seems fine otherwise. I can't imagine your average non-technical person going through all this without giving up and getting the Klingon user interface Brighthouse DVR.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #29
mcluvin

They didn't provision any of my premier channels. Another hour on the phone and that is solved. Loving the Roamio and Mini and 100 down 10 up. Picture quality blows vs DTV, but I'm saving ~$100 per month so I'm going to accept it. Next up getting PyTivo working.....

Any idea why Tivo doesn't let you bridge Moca to wireless? I've got a $200 Netgear Nighthawk in bridge mode because the Roamio won't bridge wireless to Moca. Give me a warning that it is probably gonna suck, but at least give me the option. It is working great so far.

Chris
Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #30
xbr23

BH can be a biotch to work with.....
xbr23 is offline   Reply With Quote