TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Claudia999

Lilyhammer

I am having trouble streaming Lilyhammer. It keeps retrieving. Does anyone else have this problem?
Claudia999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

How about more information, please? How is your tivo connected to your home network? In another recent post here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...73#post9797573
You indicate "consistent" problems and mention several other shows. How long have you used Netflix on TiVo with your current network setup, and are there other videos that do NOT have problems?

Actually, I see that most of my above questions are answered in the your other post linked above. This illustrates the confusion caused by double posting the same issue -- not recommended!

What model is your Tivo? TiVo models prior to the newly released Roamio have a reputation of being poor Netflix clients. There is preliminary opinion that the Roamio finally provides a good Netflix client. I rarely use my TivoHD (model 652) for Netflix because my Logitech Revue (Google TV) and Panasonic Blu-Ray are better clients.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Claudia999

Thank you for your excellent post! I agree that one should not double-post the same issue, but my first post did not get any responses. Perhaps I should have waited longer, but my fear was the title of this thread was not getting any attention and it would just be buried with no response.

I have a Series3 HD Tivo. Clearly it is time to upgrade. You have made some good suggestions. I will go to Best Buy and determine what I need to do next. Thank you.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I wish I could assure you that a newer TiVo will eliminate all your Netflix issues but there are too many other factors -- some almost impossible to troubleshoot -- that can affect Netflix performance. You have addressed some of the most obvious factors (network bandwidth and direct ethernet connection) but ......

If you upgrade to a newer TiVo I recommend you give strong consideration to a Roamio, not a Premiere. Take a look at this post by a highly respected moderator of this forum:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...77#post9799877

For him to express such a strong condemnation of the Premiere says something.

and
Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Claudia999

I am a big fan of Tivo. I like the menus and the season passes. My current Tivo Series3 gives me all the capacity I need. Now I am not very Tivo-tech savvy so here is my next question. It seems to me that I have two choices: Either 1) replace my Tivo Series3 (purchased Sept 2007 with month-to-month service at $6.95 so $500 on service to date)) with a Roamio and lifetime service for $599.98 (I can afford this if it is the right time to buy) or 2) Purchase something that can be used to augment my Series3 that will allow me to stream Netflix and surf the net. You suggested Logitech Revue or Blu-Ray? Do I understand this? I don't mind an extra remote if the solution is inexpensive and forestalls, for a while, another Tivo upgrade (of course I am mindful of the fact that I continue to pay month-to-month). This problem is important but it is not urgent: understanding my next step is more important than implementing it. I assume that eventually more shows will degrade. The problem will only be urgent if Season 2 of the Kevin-Spacey-House-of-Cards comes out and it is unwatchable (but it may not be unwatchable; most Netflix shows stream fine). Frankly, I have never understood how a web surfing device could co-exist/interact with my Tivo. Also: if I purchase a Roamio, how do I sell my Series3? Please advise.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I see no hint you are interested in OTA (antenna input) tuning. However if both that and cable TV tuning are of interest to you, the Roamio is NOT the way to go. There is no Roamio model that will simultaneously tune both cable and antenna inputs.

You have a difficult decision to make. I suggest monitoring the Roamio sub-forum to see what additional experience reports come in regarding Netflix.

You could try some network/router tweaking to improve Netflix. Try setting the DNS server addresses in your router to one, or both, of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Also try making your TiVo's IP address static. This involves settings in the Tivo (phone and network settings) as well as in your router. These changes should do no harm, and might improve things.

In the tivo's internet settings menu there are tests for DNS and ports. Do they both say OK (or good, or passed -- whatever). Also in that same menu are transfer speed results. After viewing a troublesome Netflix video look at the results there. Unfortunately I don't know if Netflix streaming shows up there. If it does, it would be in #5, "Video Download" I would guess, although it isn't a download. I suspect streaming performance for Netflix isn't shown anywhere.

Tivo has a 30-day return policy. I think this even includes releasing you from any subscription obligation you signed up for. These terms may differ depending on where you buy it. So due diligence is required. In your case, I would ask the seller specifically if you can return it if you're not satisfied with Netflix performance -- before buying.

and
Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Claudia999

I have purchased a Roamio with Lifetime service. About my Series3, Tivo has kindly converted my month-to-month service plan to a Lifetime Plan for $99. I now have a surplus Series2 with Lifetime service (wireless but no HD): I am thinking about either selling it or giving it to a relative.