TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Impozter

Converter Box ???

Im confused about what tivos will work with a digital converter box? I just wanted to buy something cheap on ebay but im confused? It seems there are alot of options. I would like a list of tivos that would work with a converter box. I read that series 3 would work and also some series 2 and also that you could update the filmware, or buy some other box or cable? How do I know what to buy? Any info will help

thank you
Impozter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Impozter

I wanted to buy the TiVo TCD140060 series 2
Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Any (non-DirecTV) Series 1 or 2 should work with a converter box. Series 3/HD don't, but they support digital cable directly.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about OTA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-25-2009 at 11:47 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
pdonoghu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impozter View Post
Im confused about what tivos will work with a digital converter box? I just wanted to buy something cheap on ebay but im confused? It seems there are alot of options. I would like a list of tivos that would work with a converter box. I read that series 3 would work and also some series 2 and also that you could update the filmware, or buy some other box or cable? How do I know what to buy? Any info will help

thank you
By converter box, I assume you mean a digital to analog converter box for over the air (antenna) reception.

Series 1 Tivos do not support converters. Series 3 do not support converters but do not need one as they have built in digital OTA (ATSC) tuners.

Most of the Series 2 models will work with Tivo approved converter boxes, see Tivo's web site for the list of approved converter boxes. Most notably, the Series 2 dual tuner, model 649, does not support an OTA converter.

Before all the postings start, you can kludge together a converter box with a Series 1 and Series 2 dual tuner, but it will not receive the sub channels, for example, channel 5.1. Not a very workable setup in my opinion.

While you can use the model 140 mentioned in your second post, you would be better off with a newer model 240 or even a 540.

Last edited by pdonoghu : 12-25-2009 at 09:51 AM.
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Impozter

Ok, so if I buy a TiVo NIB Series 2 540040 It will work with a converter box but I wont be able to get the sub channels? Thats the only draw back? Any other problems I shouls expect? Will I need to buy anything special to make it work?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Impozter

Ok, Im confused again. All my channels are displayed with a sub#. For example Channel 11 on my converter box is shown as (11.1) and the sub channel is (11.2). Are you saying I will get 11.1 but not 11.2?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
pdonoghu

Quote:
Ok, so if I buy a TiVo NIB Series 2 540040 It will work with a converter box but I wont be able to get the sub channels? Thats the only draw back? Any other problems I shouls expect? Will I need to buy anything special to make it work?
Just to confirm, you are talking about a converter for over the air, not a cable connection,correct?

As I indicated in my earlier post, most single tuner Series 2 models will work fully with an approved converter box. The limit on not being able to receive sub channels is only if you kludge a Series 2 dual tuner, or Series 1 to a converter box.

What you will need is an approved converter box, see Tivo's site for the ones that are supported (approved). You will need a subscription on the Tivo, or buy a used one with a lifetime subscription. Your Tivo will need either a plain old telephone connection or a network connection with a Tivo approved USB network adapter to get daily program guide updates.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Impozter

Yes im trying to use a converter box for an over the air signal. Thanks for the help but lets recap.

As long as I have a subscription and a phone jack all I need to do is buy a signal tuner, series 1 or 2 tivo (with a few exceptions) and It should work? The only problem I might have is upgrading to an approved converter box?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
pdonoghu

Quote:
Yes im trying to use a converter box for an over the air signal. Thanks for the help but lets recap.

As long as I have a subscription and a phone jack all I need to do is buy a signal tuner, series 1 or 2 tivo (with a few exceptions) and It should work? The only problem I might have is upgrading to an approved converter box?
Let's try this again. Series 1 and Series 2 dual tuner models do not support a converter box.

Series 2 single tuner models will work with a converter box and record all channels You need to use one of the converter boxes that Tivo supports, the list is on their web site. Your phone line needs to be a plain old telephone line, not a digital (VOIP) type phone line.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Impozter

Ok, thanks, I think Im ready to move foward. Great job! This was my first time using a forum, thanks for your patience.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Just to be extra sure please check this article for compatible boxes:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...er/r_id/100041

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
Impozter

Mission accomplished

Hey, I just bought a new Series 2 540040 Tivo on B-Bay for $30.50. I think thats a good price, not much of a risk. Anyways I still hope you guys were right, thanks for the help! I have to wait a week for it to ship, and then I'm going to get the 1 year subscription.
Regular TV is so bad, I need some kind of escape! I wanted to see what Tivo is all about. I've had a DVR before but paid $15 a month. I gave the cable company $290 overall and then had to give it back. Im going to get cable soon, when I do I'll just buy a dual tuner. Might need your help then?

Later
Old 12-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Impozter

Also looks like I have the RCA STB7766G1 also called the venture STB7766G1. It looks like I have an approved box. There is confusion about the codes for the box online because it has 2 names.

On the website is says the Venture STB7766G is approved. But Its missing the #1 at the end STB7766G
STB7766G1

I think Im good! I hope its just a typo or an unimportant number?
Old 12-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

A Series 3/HD/XL will tune over the air antenna without a digital converter box and record 2 channels at the same time.

Series 2 will require the use of a converter box using IR control cables as if using the remote, but only can record/watch 1 channel at any time.

Series 2 Dual tuner will be just a single channel recorder when a digital cable box is used. This model will not work for Over the air signals.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Also looks like I have the RCA STB7766G1 also called the venture STB7766G1. It looks like I have an approved box. There is confusion about the codes for the box online because it has 2 names.

On the website is says the Venture STB7766G is approved. But Its missing the #1 at the end STB7766G
STB7766G1

I think Im good! I hope its just a typo or an unimportant number?
I use a Channel Master now, but I also have that same RCA model that I used briefly with my Tivo. I had trouble setting it up so I did a little research and found that it was the same as the Venturer so then I set it up saying that I had a Venturer box and everything worked.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
geoman47
ˇ Member !

I've had TiVo for 9 years... should have known better

OK, so I replied to this thread instead of starting a new thread because, well, I should have known better since I've had TiVos since 2002.

Let me cut to the chase and my question that maybe someone can answer:
I boneheadedly (not a word, i know) bought a analog pass-through digital to analog converter box last week that might not be supported. From this thread, I saw...

Hmmm... maybe it is there. I bought the Zinwell (decent reviews at Amazon). But when I look for Zinwell on my TiVo its not on the TiVo menus.

My question was going to be if maybe Zinwell is actually the same as a known brand such as GE or whatever?

But let me do some more research and figure this out. Thanks for the link in this thread. Anyone reading this should always check TCF before purchasing an "accessory" for their TiVo!

I'll post an update if I ever get a round tuit.
TiVo Brand Series 2:TCD540140:140 GB
TiVo HD:160GB
geoman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
The Zinwell should certainly be listed.

I noted it because I'd bought a Zinwell and was surprised to see it there on the TiVo website list-

My other converter box's brand was NOT listed.

Let me go to the TiVo website and see if I can find something that'll help you.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Have you tried looking for "Zat" as opposed to "Zinwell"?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

A thought just hit me-

What type of TiVo (model number) do you have, and did you, in going thru Guided Setup, tell it you're using OTA and a digital converter box?

I don't believe the converter boxes would be listed with the other boxes, like satellite or cable. Could be wrong on that, but I don't think so.

Tell us exactly what steps you took that led to the list of boxes you found, what the TiVo said on screen with each step, etc. (And don't forget to include the TiVo model number.)
Old 12-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #20
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoman47 View Post
OK, so I replied to this thread instead of starting a new thread because, well, I should have known better since I've had TiVos since 2002.

Let me cut to the chase and my question that maybe someone can answer:
I boneheadedly (not a word, i know) bought a analog pass-through digital to analog converter box last week that might not be supported. From this thread, I saw...

Hmmm... maybe it is there. I bought the Zinwell (decent reviews at Amazon). But when I look for Zinwell on my TiVo its not on the TiVo menus.

My question was going to be if maybe Zinwell is actually the same as a known brand such as GE or whatever?

But let me do some more research and figure this out. Thanks for the link in this thread. Anyone reading this should always check TCF before purchasing an "accessory" for their TiVo!

I'll post an update if I ever get a round tuit.
Zinwell IR code is 10112
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
geoman47
ˇ Member !

On my TiVo screen, Zenith is the last manufacturer listed. Weird part about that is the Zinwell is listed with IR code 10112 on the link i provided earlier. I just don't see a place to input the IR code.

I'm following TiVo's instructions and repeating the guided setup now. Maybe there is a place to input the IR code there.

I have 3 TiVos (need to update my signature). But the one I'm doing this on is the first one in my signature that I upgraded to 160GB years ago. I need to update my signature because I also upgraded my TiVoHD to 1TB earlier this summer.

Thanks gastof and cannonz!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #22
cannonz

select --antenna with box-- follow the prompts.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #23
cannonz

This shows you how to get into advanced to input IR code http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...0a%20ir%20code
Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #24
cannonz

If you still have trouble I have a 540 and a Zinwell, can set it up and see what needs to be done.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #25
geoman47
ˇ Member !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
This shows you how to get into advanced to input IR code http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...0a%20ir%20code
Thanks... figured out where to put that in now. Just have to wait until the kids are in bed to try it out tonight.

When I put the TiVo in Standby mode, I get a full picture on the TV. But I'm not getting "Live TV" through the TiVo. I've used a converter box before (piece of crap APEX I got free with the $40 coupon), so I'm close.

I'll update later, thanks again for your help.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #26
cannonz

I've never had a Apex but have heard nothing but bad things about them (not getting as many channels as good a picture etc as other brands). I have a Channel Master excellent picture and my Zinwell is almost as good.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #27
geoman47
ˇ Member !

Success! IR code and repeating guided setup were the main points. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #28
shwru980r

The apex converters have a really nice interface, but the reception is terrible.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #29
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

I have a neighbor which has trouble with using his VCR, TV,RCA DTA800 & 3 remotes(It works best) he gets lost all the time.

I have an old 1400 series 2 LTimed which is broke, I cracked it open and learned that the harddrive wasn't spinning so I connected it to a Laptop and it spun up.

I'm going to get a power supply for it and see if it works.

I would like to know if the TiVo can work with Sky Angel, ATSC and NTSC(ABC). I would think it does. Cause the NTSC is decoded by the TiVo while the ATSC is decoded by the RCA DTA800,Right?

I see the snag with my plan now with Skyangel. He would be getting it new so it no longer works.

Last edited by Leon WIlkinson : 12-13-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #30
classicsat
Astute User

Sky Angel is a maybe.

For broadcast it is only digital with box, or analog.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote