TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #31
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
OK, I'm totally confused. I don't have Tivo Desktop Plus but I do have Tivo Desk Top (the free version).

There is all this talk of "transferring" recorded programs from the Tivo DVR to the computer using DTP.

Using just Desk Top I can copy, not transfer, a recording from my DVR to my computer and I can view the show both on my computer and my TV.

If I delete the show on my DVR I can still view it on my PC. If I delete if from my PC I can still view it on my TV.

So what I'm saying is I am not transferring the program from my DVR to my PC; I'm "copying" the show.

If I come back from a trip I do not have to "transfer" unseen shows back to my DVR as they were never "transferred" to begin with but only copied.

Shouldn't we be using the term copy and not transfer when referring to recordings from our DVR to our PC? Or is this just semantics?
My take on semantics:

To me "transfer" means to copy from one medium to another, as is used in the motion picture industry with "film transfer" to indicate where an entire celluloid film reel is copied frame by frame or cell by cell by semi-automated optical machine to a computer. Or as many people say, "digitize" (bless their hearts). In the end the film finds its way back to the canister unharmed. They actually go to great lengths to try to preserve it. So I may be stepping on some toes by saying this, but to me a Transfer would indeed be more similar to a Copy. In any case the word Transfer is basically open for interpretation.

Last edited by christheman : 09-09-2013 at 12:09 AM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #32
Joe Siegler

I've only been using this for two days, so I'm going with web interface for now.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #33
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I've only been using this for two days, so I'm going with web interface for now.
yea, I guess you can call me an advanced PyTivo user.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #34
Joe Siegler

Hey, I believe I read somewhere that one can create a Wishlist for a TiVo box on kmttg as opposed to the incessant boop-boop you have to do with the peanut in front of the TV.

I took a look, and couldn't find where to do that. Assuming this is possible, can someone direct me to it? Tkx.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #35
moyekj

Quote:
Hey, I believe I read somewhere that one can create a Wishlist for a TiVo box on kmttg as opposed to the incessant boop-boop you have to do with the peanut in front of the TV.

I took a look, and couldn't find where to do that. Assuming this is possible, can someone direct me to it? Tkx.
* Make sure you have latest kmttg version installed from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmtt...?source=navbar
* From main kmttg window choose "Remote" tab and then "Search" or "Guide" sub tab and you can use "WL" button to create wishlists (including auto record wishlists if you want).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
* Make sure you have latest kmttg version installed from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmtt...?source=navbar
I should, unless it's been updated in the last week and a half. Haven't been using this too long.

Quote:
* From main kmttg window choose "Remote" tab and then "Search" or "Guide" sub tab and you can use "WL" button to create wishlists (including auto record wishlists if you want).
Tkx, I'll go check it out.

Last edited by Joe Siegler : 09-20-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #37
Joe Siegler

BTW, after messing with this since early September, I just realized tonight that I haven't used Tivo Desktop once.

Actually, no wait there was one time. There was an episode of a kids show I was having problems getting the proper metadata transferred over, and I tried with TDP, but that was the only time.

It's actually still installed on the computer, I never uninstalled it - I just disabled it from ever running again, and been using the kmttg/pytivo combo.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #38
unitron

Quote:
OK, I'm totally confused. I don't have Tivo Desktop Plus but I do have Tivo Desk Top (the free version).

There is all this talk of "transferring" recorded programs from the Tivo DVR to the computer using DTP.

Using just Desk Top I can copy, not transfer, a recording from my DVR to my computer and I can view the show both on my computer and my TV.

If I delete the show on my DVR I can still view it on my PC. If I delete if from my PC I can still view it on my TV.

So what I'm saying is I am not transferring the program from my DVR to my PC; I'm "copying" the show.

If I come back from a trip I do not have to "transfer" unseen shows back to my DVR as they were never "transferred" to begin with but only copied.

Shouldn't we be using the term copy and not transfer when referring to recordings from our DVR to our PC? Or is this just semantics?
It really is "copy" (and not what Microsoft calls "move", which is copy and then delete the source), but TiVo Desktop calls it "transfer" instead of "copy" for some reason, so in talking about Desktop we often say "transfer", but we're talking about a process that leaves the source intact.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #39
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Or is this just semantics?
Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #40
Joe Siegler

OK, I've been using this combo now for almost two months, and have gotten quite used to it. One odd question. When I run kmttg, I get a command prompt window pop up and then the app runs. The window just sits there, nothing on it, and my closing it doesn't seem to have any effect on kmttg's operation.

What is that? Is it harming anything to close it out? I get picky and like a tidy desktop. Tkx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kmttg.jpg (54.4 KB, 19 views)

Old 10-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #41
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
OK, I've been using this combo now for almost two months, and have gotten quite used to it. One odd question. When I run kmttg, I get a command prompt window pop up and then the app runs. The window just sits there, nothing on it, and my closing it doesn't seem to have any effect on kmttg's operation.

What is that? Is it harming anything to close it out? I get picky and like a tidy desktop. Tkx.
How are you starting KMTTG?

I don't get that when I start it.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #42
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
How are you starting KMTTG?

I don't get that when I start it.
It's a shortcut that is sitting in "\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs".

That shortcut is pinned to the Start screen (I run Windows 8.1). It's the only way I could figure out how to put an icon for kmttg on the Win8 Start screen. I couldn't pin directly to the .jar file.

Edit: If I go straight to the shortcut as opposed to the "pin" on the Win8 Start screen, I get that same box.

Edit 2: If I go straight to the .jar file and click that, no box.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #43
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
It's a shortcut that is sitting in "\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs".

That shortcut is pinned to the Start screen (I run Windows 8.1). It's the only way I could figure out how to put an icon for kmttg on the Win8 Start screen. I couldn't pin directly to the .jar file.

Edit: If I go straight to the shortcut as opposed to the "pin" on the Win8 Start screen, I get that same box.
Right click the icon, properties, and set target to the jar file if it isn't.

~~~~~

Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #44
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Right click the icon, properties, and set target to the jar file if it isn't.
It's currently set for this:

Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /C C:\Users\Joe\Documents\kmttg_v1p0e\kmttg.jar
Which if I'm not mistaken was the way the docs told me to do that. Given I was unfamiliar with the software on initial setup, I followed the docs pretty closely.

EDIT: OK, I took out that bit at the beginning with the systemroot & /C and it runs the app and doesn't give me the box.

EDIT 2: The Win8 pin also works right now, too. If that bit with systemroot & /C isn't needed, why was it in the docs then?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #45
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
It's currently set for this:

Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /C C:\Users\Joe\Documents\kmttg_v1p0e\kmttg.jar
Which if I'm not mistaken was the way the docs told me to do that. Given I was unfamiliar with the software on initial setup, I followed the docs pretty closely.

EDIT: OK, I took out that bit at the beginning with the systemroot & /C and it runs the app and doesn't give me the box.

EDIT 2: The Win8 pin also works right now, too. If that bit with systemroot & /C isn't needed, why was it in the docs then?
C:\Users\Joe\Documents\kmttg_v1p0e\kmttg.jar

This is all that is needed.

The CMD will open a command prompt window giving access to DOS commands.

~~~~~

Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #46
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I now have about a dozen versions of KMTTG in my single kmttg folder. Each time its updated, I make a copy and rename to kmttg_xx_version.jar. A desktop shortcut still points to an older version and I also have a keyboard shortcut button that points to kmttg.jar. They will always use the same kmttg.ini config file.

~~~~~

Old 10-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #47
Joe Siegler

Does anyone running KMTTG on Windows have a good icon to use? The default shortcut shows a pretty dumpy looking icon, and I was hoping someone had a suggestion for something better than that. Tkx.
Attached Images
File Type: png kmttgicon.png (103.1 KB, 20 views)

Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #48
Joe Siegler

I ended up using the icons embedded in the TiVo Desktop programs, which are still installed on this computer, but just deactivated. I left them there "just in case" something crops up I can't conceive right now, and I might need them. Doesn't hurt anything, they're not running anyway. Here's a screen grab of what I did - see attached.

I also wanted to thank those that got me pointed in the direction of kmttg. I'm now hooked on it, and can't imagine going back to TD+ at this point (despite leaving them installed). This does a whole lot more than I thought was possible.

Makes me sad that TiVo didn't develop their software better. Oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: png tivoicons.png (56.9 KB, 12 views)