TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #91
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
You didn't enjoy M*A*S*H then either? It's an old trope.
Love MASH, this is no MASH.

Hawkeye may have disobeyed orders etc, but he was never the fool in the throne room.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #92
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Love MASH, this is no MASH.

Hawkeye may have disobeyed orders etc, but he was never the fool in the throne room.
Definitely not MASH, but you and I saw Hawkeye differently then. Depending on whose throne room it was, he could definitely be the fool. How many episodes did a superior officer want to string him up until they saw he was the best at what he did?
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #93
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Definitely not MASH, but you and I saw Hawkeye differently then. Depending on whose throne room it was, he could definitely be the fool. How many episodes did a superior officer want to string him up until they saw he was the best at what he did?
Ok, he was never the fool, just to be the fool. from day one we knew how Hawkeye felt about where he was, the war. There was a reason behind his actions.
This character is just a "look at me be a spaz" character, most likely due to the fact that Samberg has one character and no depth as an actor.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #94
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Ok, he was never the fool, just to be the fool. from day one we knew how Hawkeye felt about where he was, the war. There was a reason behind his actions.
This character is just a "look at me be a spaz" character, most likely due to the fact that Samberg has one character and no depth as an actor.
In any case, the disrespectful clown that gets away with it because they are very good at their job isn't a huge stretch in television regardless of their motivation.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #95
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 3,082
Dads was horrible. That should be first to go, no question. Did not crack a smile at anything. Actually maybe there was one funny thing. But I've forgotten what it was.

99 was not bad. It started out rocky but it picked up steam and that's a good sign.
__________________
"Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional!" -- Mad Scientist
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #96
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
5 minutes into the show

ready to cast my vote for Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Now, I thought Dads showed promise, it wasn't as tasteless as they made it out to be. But I like raunchy off color humor.
And this is why they actually have ratings. One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

My wife & I just watched both. B99 was pretty funny, but neither of us are Andy Samberg fans. He's just too goofy silly. But the show is so funny, we'll stick with it.

Dads? The unfunniest show I've ever seen. Forget the raunch, not an issue. It just wasn't funny. Ever. Ok, maybe a line or two. But the laugh track just kept roaring at lines that weren't even jokes, they were setup lines! The straight lines were said, and the laugh track blasted away.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #97
cannonz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 839
Fox announced they have cancelled dads and 9 9 to be replaced by 2 episodes of Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #98
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Fox announced they have cancelled dads and 9 9 to be replaced by 2 episodes of Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E
Don't bogart that joint!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #99
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,890
The reviews for Dads have been abysmal, 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. On the other hand, B99 has received very good reviews, 90% on RT. Hard to lump those two shows together.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #100
kdmorse
Registered User
 
kdmorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Dads? The unfunniest show I've ever seen. Forget the raunch, not an issue. It just wasn't funny. Ever. Ok, maybe a line or two. But the laugh track just kept roaring at lines that weren't even jokes, they were setup lines! The straight lines were said, and the laugh track blasted away.
The laugh track was so horrible, I started to wonder if they were deliberately mocking shows with horrible laugh tracks. But probably not...

Other than that, I went into it with no expectations other than it being a pointless FOX style sitcom, which is all it was. And as such, it kinda amused me.

And I think it's the kind of show FOX will keep around regardless, so I suspect it will outlive others in this thread, despite its ratings...
__________________
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
"Stop slouching! It's two O'clock in the afternoon, PUT PANTS ON!"
"Statistically speaking, there are two Popes per square kilometer in Vatican City..."
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #101
Graymalkin
Style and Panache
 
Graymalkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 47,931
Please, please, PLEASE let "Dads" be the first show canceled. That was godawful.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #102
alyssa
Registered User
 
alyssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Mountains of New Hampshire
Posts: 1,590
piling on
Dads=horrible, should be first canceled. i got 5 min's in & canceled it
B99= might actually get me watching a sitcom regularly, *loved* Brower (sp?)
__________________
Roamio Plus LT upgraded w/3TB
XL4 LT + external w/2TB
Premiere LT upgraded w/2TB (for sale)

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #103
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Didn't laugh at the secret tie, but did at the manscaping comment. Also laughed at the speedo bit at the end, so good writing or not, I thought it was funny.
Ummmm...careful with spoilers. I haven't seen either of these yet.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #104
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
Dads was just bad. I didn't find it offensive but it just wasn't funny. I agree with others, maybe a funny line or two but that was it. Brenda Song looked good so I'm going to give it one more episode.

I haven't watched 9-9 yet but I didn't like Parks & Rec so if this is similar I don't think I'll stick with this either. I'll give it a shot though.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #105
sieglinde
Registered User
 
sieglinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 5,370
I will give Dads one more episode but its worst sin was not being funny
__________________
Science over Superstition
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #106
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 12,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
From who?! That was utter crap! It was beyond bad, Samberg was his usual cheesy self.

I actually feel bad for Andre Brauer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Now, I thought Dads showed promise, it wasn't as tasteless as they made it out to be. But I like raunchy off color humor.
Wow, i had just the opposite opinion.

After Dads, Brooklyn Nine-Nine looked like Shakespeare.

In reality Dads was awful (despite having 4 actors I usually like) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine was so-so.
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #107
Fahtrim
Registered User
 
Fahtrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
I guess I just don't by into the "Best detective we have" so let him be a disrespectful idiot. Thing.
It's a tried and true formula. I liked B99
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #108
Fahtrim
Registered User
 
Fahtrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Love MASH, this is no MASH.

Hawkeye may have disobeyed orders etc, but he was never the fool in the throne room.
WTF you talking about, he was constantly the fool in the throne room. He just had time to show his serious side and his great skill in multiple episodes/seasons.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #109
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 5,517
Thank you FOX I just cleared up 1 hour 7-8PM on my TiVo.

Might come back to Brooklyn 99 again later if it's still around, but won't SP it.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #110
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,727
Now I unserstand why Will Ferrell still gets work.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #111
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
WTF you talking about, he was constantly the fool in the throne room. He just had time to show his serious side and his great skill in multiple episodes/seasons.
Read my followup.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #112
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,890
Dads got a 2.1 and Brooklyn Nine-Nine a 2.5. Neither is in danger of imminent cancellation. Fox's lowest scoring show last night was The Mindy Project which got a 1.9.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #113
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Dads got a 2.1 and Brooklyn Nine-Nine a 2.5. Neither is in danger of imminent cancellation. Fox's lowest scoring show last night was The Mindy Project which got a 1.9.
Ouch, so where did they go after B99?

I never got into the Mindy Project so almost never watch it.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #114
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Please, please, PLEASE let "Dads" be the first show canceled. That was godawful.
Agreed. That was almost painful to watch.


I did enjoy Brooklyn 99, but I had a moment when the new Captain said "You know my history" and I said out loud "You used to drive a submarine and refused to nuke Pakistan?", but I guess we can't be quite that absurd....
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #115
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Ouch, so where did they go after B99?

I never got into the Mindy Project so almost never watch it.
Looks like there was an audience switch after B99 as New Girl had a 2.9 rating but an overall smaller audience than B99. 5.56 million for New Girl vs 6 million for B99. Everyone jumped ship on the Mindy Project though. I guess James Franco wasn't much of a draw.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #116
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 12,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Now I unserstand why Will Ferrell still gets work.
Throwing out veiled insults is not going to win anyone over to your point of view.

Neither show was great but i thought Dads was just awful and far more juvenile than B99.
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #117
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Throwing out veiled insults is not going to win anyone over to your point of view.

Neither show was great but i thought Dads was just awful and far more juvenile than B99.
I'm not looking to shift anyone's point of view.

Ferrell is a one trick pony, as is Samberg, which to my amazement there is an audience for.

The only difference is I enjoy The Legend of Ron Burgundy, I have yet to find anything even tolerable by Samberg.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #118
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
I'm not looking to shift anyone's point of view.

Ferrell is a one trick pony, as is Samberg, which to my amazement there is an audience for.

The only difference is I enjoy The Legend of Ron Burgundy, I have yet to find anything even tolerable by Samberg.
There has probably been hundreds of "One Trick Ponies" as you've said over the years who have been immensely popular. The Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplain, Jerry Lewis are three that come to mind off the top of my head. I don't know why you're amazed at the popularity of some one trick ponies. I'm not a Farrell fan, but I don't doubt there are people who like his type of humor. Same as Samberg.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #119
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
There has probably been hundreds of "One Trick Ponies" as you've said over the years who have been immensely popular. The Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplain, Jerry Lewis are three that come to mind off the top of my head. I don't know why you're amazed at the popularity of some one trick ponies. I'm not a Farrell fan, but I don't doubt there are people who like his type of humor. Same as Samberg.
There is a difference between "Schtick" and one trick. Each of the ones you listed showed a flexibility and depth to their characters, and abilities, especially Chaplin and Lewis.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #120
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
There is a difference between "Schtick" and one trick. Each of the ones you listed showed a flexibility and depth to their characters, and abilities, especially Chaplin and Lewis.
You could say the same for Farrell as well. I don't know Samberg's work all that well to make that assumption. All of the ones I listed essentially play the same "character", which is what Farrell does. Each movie that character is nuanced to fit the movie.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |