Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #91
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
You didn't enjoy M*A*S*H then either? It's an old trope.
Love MASH, this is no MASH.

Hawkeye may have disobeyed orders etc, but he was never the fool in the throne room.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #92
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post

Hawkeye may have disobeyed orders etc, but he was never the fool in the throne room.
Definitely not MASH, but you and I saw Hawkeye differently then. Depending on whose throne room it was, he could definitely be the fool. How many episodes did a superior officer want to string him up until they saw he was the best at what he did?
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #93
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Definitely not MASH, but you and I saw Hawkeye differently then. Depending on whose throne room it was, he could definitely be the fool. How many episodes did a superior officer want to string him up until they saw he was the best at what he did?
Ok, he was never the fool, just to be the fool. from day one we knew how Hawkeye felt about where he was, the war. There was a reason behind his actions.
This character is just a "look at me be a spaz" character, most likely due to the fact that Samberg has one character and no depth as an actor.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #94
Azlen

Quote:
Ok, he was never the fool, just to be the fool. from day one we knew how Hawkeye felt about where he was, the war. There was a reason behind his actions.
This character is just a "look at me be a spaz" character, most likely due to the fact that Samberg has one character and no depth as an actor.
In any case, the disrespectful clown that gets away with it because they are very good at their job isn't a huge stretch in television regardless of their motivation.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #95
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Dads was horrible. That should be first to go, no question. Did not crack a smile at anything. Actually maybe there was one funny thing. But I've forgotten what it was.

99 was not bad. It started out rocky but it picked up steam and that's a good sign.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #96
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
5 minutes into the show

ready to cast my vote for Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Quote:
Now, I thought Dads showed promise, it wasn't as tasteless as they made it out to be. But I like raunchy off color humor.
And this is why they actually have ratings. One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

My wife & I just watched both. B99 was pretty funny, but neither of us are Andy Samberg fans. He's just too goofy silly. But the show is so funny, we'll stick with it.

Dads? The unfunniest show I've ever seen. Forget the raunch, not an issue. It just wasn't funny. Ever. Ok, maybe a line or two. But the laugh track just kept roaring at lines that weren't even jokes, they were setup lines! The straight lines were said, and the laugh track blasted away.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #97
cannonz

Fox announced they have cancelled dads and 9 9 to be replaced by 2 episodes of Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #98
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Fox announced they have cancelled dads and 9 9 to be replaced by 2 episodes of Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E
Don't bogart that joint!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #99
Azlen

The reviews for Dads have been abysmal, 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. On the other hand, B99 has received very good reviews, 90% on RT. Hard to lump those two shows together.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #100
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Dads? The unfunniest show I've ever seen. Forget the raunch, not an issue. It just wasn't funny. Ever. Ok, maybe a line or two. But the laugh track just kept roaring at lines that weren't even jokes, they were setup lines! The straight lines were said, and the laugh track blasted away.
The laugh track was so horrible, I started to wonder if they were deliberately mocking shows with horrible laugh tracks. But probably not...

Other than that, I went into it with no expectations other than it being a pointless FOX style sitcom, which is all it was. And as such, it kinda amused me.

And I think it's the kind of show FOX will keep around regardless, so I suspect it will outlive others in this thread, despite its ratings...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #101
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Please, please, PLEASE let "Dads" be the first show canceled. That was godawful.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #102
alyssa

piling on
Dads=horrible, should be first canceled. i got 5 min's in & canceled it
B99= might actually get me watching a sitcom regularly, *loved* Brower (sp?)

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #103
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Didn't laugh at the secret tie, but did at the manscaping comment. Also laughed at the speedo bit at the end, so good writing or not, I thought it was funny.
Ummmm...careful with spoilers. I haven't seen either of these yet.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #104
WhiskeyTango

Dads was just bad. I didn't find it offensive but it just wasn't funny. I agree with others, maybe a funny line or two but that was it. Brenda Song looked good so I'm going to give it one more episode.

I haven't watched 9-9 yet but I didn't like Parks & Rec so if this is similar I don't think I'll stick with this either. I'll give it a shot though.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #105
sieglinde

I will give Dads one more episode but its worst sin was not being funny
Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #106
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
From who?! That was utter crap! It was beyond bad, Samberg was his usual cheesy self.

I actually feel bad for Andre Brauer.
Quote:
Now, I thought Dads showed promise, it wasn't as tasteless as they made it out to be. But I like raunchy off color humor.
Wow, i had just the opposite opinion.

After Dads, Brooklyn Nine-Nine looked like Shakespeare.

In reality Dads was awful (despite having 4 actors I usually like) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine was so-so.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #107
Fahtrim

Quote:
I guess I just don't by into the "Best detective we have" so let him be a disrespectful idiot. Thing.
It's a tried and true formula. I liked B99
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #108
Fahtrim

Quote:

WTF you talking about, he was constantly the fool in the throne room. He just had time to show his serious side and his great skill in multiple episodes/seasons.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #109
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Thank you FOX I just cleared up 1 hour 7-8PM on my TiVo.

Might come back to Brooklyn 99 again later if it's still around, but won't SP it.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #110
Langree
The Gimp

Now I unserstand why Will Ferrell still gets work.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #111
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
WTF you talking about, he was constantly the fool in the throne room. He just had time to show his serious side and his great skill in multiple episodes/seasons.
Read my followup.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #112
Azlen

Dads got a 2.1 and Brooklyn Nine-Nine a 2.5. Neither is in danger of imminent cancellation. Fox's lowest scoring show last night was The Mindy Project which got a 1.9.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #113
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Dads got a 2.1 and Brooklyn Nine-Nine a 2.5. Neither is in danger of imminent cancellation. Fox's lowest scoring show last night was The Mindy Project which got a 1.9.
Ouch, so where did they go after B99?

I never got into the Mindy Project so almost never watch it.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #114
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Please, please, PLEASE let "Dads" be the first show canceled. That was godawful.
Agreed. That was almost painful to watch.

I did enjoy Brooklyn 99, but I had a moment when the new Captain said "You know my history" and I said out loud "You used to drive a submarine and refused to nuke Pakistan?", but I guess we can't be quite that absurd....

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #115
Azlen

Quote:
Ouch, so where did they go after B99?

I never got into the Mindy Project so almost never watch it.
Looks like there was an audience switch after B99 as New Girl had a 2.9 rating but an overall smaller audience than B99. 5.56 million for New Girl vs 6 million for B99. Everyone jumped ship on the Mindy Project though. I guess James Franco wasn't much of a draw.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #116
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Now I unserstand why Will Ferrell still gets work.
Throwing out veiled insults is not going to win anyone over to your point of view.

Neither show was great but i thought Dads was just awful and far more juvenile than B99.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #117
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Throwing out veiled insults is not going to win anyone over to your point of view.

Neither show was great but i thought Dads was just awful and far more juvenile than B99.
I'm not looking to shift anyone's point of view.

Ferrell is a one trick pony, as is Samberg, which to my amazement there is an audience for.

The only difference is I enjoy The Legend of Ron Burgundy, I have yet to find anything even tolerable by Samberg.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #118
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I'm not looking to shift anyone's point of view.

Ferrell is a one trick pony, as is Samberg, which to my amazement there is an audience for.

The only difference is I enjoy The Legend of Ron Burgundy, I have yet to find anything even tolerable by Samberg.
There has probably been hundreds of "One Trick Ponies" as you've said over the years who have been immensely popular. The Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplain, Jerry Lewis are three that come to mind off the top of my head. I don't know why you're amazed at the popularity of some one trick ponies. I'm not a Farrell fan, but I don't doubt there are people who like his type of humor. Same as Samberg.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #119
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
There has probably been hundreds of "One Trick Ponies" as you've said over the years who have been immensely popular. The Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplain, Jerry Lewis are three that come to mind off the top of my head. I don't know why you're amazed at the popularity of some one trick ponies. I'm not a Farrell fan, but I don't doubt there are people who like his type of humor. Same as Samberg.
There is a difference between "Schtick" and one trick. Each of the ones you listed showed a flexibility and depth to their characters, and abilities, especially Chaplin and Lewis.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #120
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
There is a difference between "Schtick" and one trick. Each of the ones you listed showed a flexibility and depth to their characters, and abilities, especially Chaplin and Lewis.
You could say the same for Farrell as well. I don't know Samberg's work all that well to make that assumption. All of the ones I listed essentially play the same "character", which is what Farrell does. Each movie that character is nuanced to fit the movie.