Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #31
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Hmm. I could read between the lines here...
Not worth it, and no reason for John to think that's why the actor was chosen. He happens to be a very good actor.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Not worth it, and no reason for John to think that's why the actor was chosen. He happens to be a very good actor.
Yes, I agree the actor is good actor. My point is why redo Ironside at all, and then cast a "black" actor to make the show "politically correct". What the plan to take all old Ironside scripts, update them and then re-shoot the show? Have we reach the point where writers cannot write anymore? Come up with a new ideal? The whole show just come off as "tacky" to me.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #33
Edmund
Remote Czar

I'm going on history, D Wilson & R Glass in the "New Old Couple", Ving Rhames in "Kojak", it doesn't work.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #34
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
There's no guarantee than a show that gets pulled from the fall lineup prematurely will actually get cancelled. Revolution supposedly got cancelled during the fall season and they stopped showing the series. They aired the final episodes at the end of the winter season, which isn't that unusual. What is unusual is that it got renewed for a 2nd season after the remaining episodes were aired. Go figure.
You're either confused or just making things up. Revolution was never in danger of being canceled during the fall/winter season. It was one of the highest rated shows on NBC. It was announced in October that the second half of the season would air in the spring after a 4 month hiatus. The renewal came a month after its return.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #35
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
I'm going on history, D Wilson & R Glass in the "New Old Couple", Ving Rhames in "Kojak", it doesn't work.
I liked Ving as Kojak.

Could the reason they cast it the way they have is to be more PC, absolutely.

But to assume that's the reason, that says more about you than them.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #36
Edmund
Remote Czar

I mentioned a single word, Ironside, what you read into that, is all about YOU, not me. Now DROP DEAD!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
I mentioned a single word, Ironside, what you read into that, is all about YOU, not me. Now DROP DEAD!!!
So exactly what "history" were you going on? Given what was being discussed.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #38
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
So exactly what "history" were you going on? Given what was being discussed.
The rating weren't there, they were cancelled.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #39
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
The rating weren't there, they were cancelled.
oh..

ok...

I believe you..

no really...

I do...
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #40
Azlen

IMHO a politically correct Ironside would have an actor who was actually in a wheelchair star in the role. A black actor in the role doesn't make it politically correct, it's just a casting choice. There is absolutely nothing about the character that has anything to do with race, it's about the character being in a wheelchair.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #41
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
IMHO a politically correct Ironside would have an actor who was actually in a wheelchair star in the role. A black actor in the role doesn't make it politically correct, it's just a casting choice. There is absolutely nothing about the character that has anything to do with race, it's about the character being in a wheelchair.
They had a goodreason for not going with a disabled actor. The ability to do flashbacks, pre-incident. So I have no issue with that.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #42
Azlen

Quote:
They had a goodreason for not going with a disabled actor. The ability to do flashbacks, pre-incident. So I have no issue with that.
I don't have an issue with it either, but that would have been the "politically correct" choice if that's what they were trying to do.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #43
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But Fox has on several occasions kept a show on the air despite historically low numbers. Sometimes even giving it a second season (and yes, Terminator had a studio that was desperate to keep it on the air, but Dollhouse didn't), or third, or fourth (I'm lookin' at YOU, Fringe!).

They've gone from the BiH Network to the Showrunner's Best Friend Network. I think they'll give it a chance to catch on, even if it launches badly. And then after a while, they'll move it to Friday and renew it for another season. THEN they'll pull the plug.
What Fox does with a show pretty much depends on one thing: does it have anything to put into its timeslot that will do better? Usually - especially for hour-long dramas - the answer is "no," which is probably why both Alcatraz and The Mob Doctor lasted 13 weeks. (I think the last time they did pull an hour drama early was LoneStar.) It's twice as big a problem with Sleepy Hollow, as Fox plans to air "instant repeats" on Fridays for a few weeks.

There's also the "Til Death Rule" - Fox usually won't cancel a show at the end of its third season because it knows it can get a deal on a fourth season from producers who are desperate to get enough episodes for syndication.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #44
Hercules67
TiVo addict

3 votes:
  1. Back in the Game
  2. Ironside
  3. Enlisted

Just my opinion. (From previous, "Enlisted" looks really dumb).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #45
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I vote Dads. Stupid.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #46
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I vote Dads. Stupid.
When two shows like this come on TV in the same year:

"Dads" & "Mom" you have to wonder about the "Creative minds" and their abilities in Hollywood.

On the other hand, one is from Chuck Lorre, so I dunno....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #47
DeDondeEs

Back in the Game and The Goldbergs are my votes.

It will be interesting to see how the Michael J. Fox show turns out. That could go either way IMO. Also, Masterchef Jr? I'll like to see how they make that work.

But from what Kevin Spacey said in his speech about how Netflix gets it. They make over 100 pilots, and what they are offering up this fall was considered to be the best of them?

Last edited by DeDondeEs : 09-09-2013 at 04:34 PM.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #48
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'm going with Sleepy Hollow. I give it two weeks, then gone.
Off with its head!

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #49
ncbill

Historically it's whatever stars Jerry O'Connell or Seth Green.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #50
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Really? Does Fox still do that?
Was it last season or 2 seasons ago that Fox nuked something after ONE airing? Drama on Monday nights, IIRC..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #51
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Was it last season or 2 seasons ago that Fox nuked something after ONE airing? Drama on Monday nights, IIRC..
Yeah...Lone Star, wasn't it? After 2 eps, IIRC....I kind of liked it, too bad...
Old 09-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #52
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Yeah...Lone Star, wasn't it? After 2 eps, IIRC....I kind of liked it, too bad...
I always wondered about that one...I suspected something must be going on behind the scenes.

IIRC, it was a show that was impossible to describe briefly in a way that made it sound interesting (or even not unpleasant), and thus impossible to market effectively. But given how rapturous the reviews are, you'd think the network of Terminator and Dollhouse would have given it more time.

2010, by the way, so three years ago...
Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #53
markymark_ctown

where's the "New Fall Shows You're Planning to Watch" thread?

Mine are:

- Andy Samberg's 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' (Fox)
- 'The Golbergs'
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #54
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Back in the Game and The Goldbergs are my votes.

It will be interesting to see how the Michael J. Fox show turns out. That could go either way IMO. Also, Masterchef Jr? I'll like to see how they make that work.

But from what Kevin Spacey said in his speech about how Netflix gets it. They make over 100 pilots, and what they are offering up this fall was considered to be the best of them?
When I saw the commercial for Masterchef Jr., I turned to my wife and said, "That's it, they've officially run out of ideas!" This is worthy of a fall TV spot? Really?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #55
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
where's the "New Fall Shows You're Planning to Watch" thread?

Mine are:

- Andy Samberg's 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' (Fox)
- 'The Golbergs'
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508138
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #56
markymark_ctown

thanks!
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #57
Hercules67
TiVo addict

I remember Lonestar. It was a weird mash up of ideas, but I kinda wanted to watch it. They promoted the heck out of it, but then it died.

They run out of ideas years ago, that's why they're rebooting so many things.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #58
Langree
The Gimp

Watched Ironside today, I liked it. I like that he wasn't a "pefect cop" pre-injury, he was downright nasty.

I like that that still comes through.

This one shows promise.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #59
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Historically it's whatever stars Jerry O'Connell or Seth Green.
I don't feel too bad for Jerry O'Connell, he's married to Rebecca Romjin, I would rather spend my time at home than working if I were him.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #60
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
On a side note, I love these ABC promo photos. They look like they're cobbled together from a bunch of individual photos of each actor and then Photoshopped in front of the background image.
The dude on the left's foot is merged with the kid's, while James Caan's body is in front of the woman, but her foot's in front of his.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote