TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Idearat

The Big Bang Theory Oct 11, 2013 "The Raiders Minimization"

Seems Amy stirred things up quite a bit inside and outside of the show. So far I think she has a point. Sheldon should just take her right to "Last Crusade".

For me the best line of the night was "Oh my God, you still go left!"
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
True, but you could see that one from a mile away.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
True, but you could see that one from a mile away.
What about the right?

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Unless it's been written about before, they totally stole the idea that Indiana Jones was inconsequential in RotLA from David Wong's excellent book "This Book is Full of Spiders." In it, the lead character laments the fact that his girlfriend, also named Amy, has a penchant for ruining movies, and cites the exact same anecdote as an example.

The book is a sequel to "John Dies at the End", which is even better. It's a sci-fi/horror/comedy that just works on every level.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I found it a little hard to believe that none of these characters realized that. The ending is practically the definition of deus ex machina and I thought that when I first saw the movie in the theater as a kid, back when we didn't even know for sure it was going to turn out to be a classic.

At first I found it a bit hard to believe Amy hadn't seen it, but then I have to remind myself that these kids are half my age.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
smak
TV MA SLV

Are there discussions of this on the web, because I have some thoughts on why he is consequential, and want to see if they have been followed through?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Well, feel free to post your thoughts here. I'll admit it had never dawned on me before until I read it in that book, which is why it stuck with me and I immediately remembered it when BBT used it.

My main rebuttal would be that without Indy mucking things up, and being physically present during the unboxing of the Ark, it might have been done somewhere where even after it obliterated the onlooking Nazis, it would have still remained in Germany's hands.

The other moving-ruining anecdote that Wong cites in his book is that in Star Wars they wouldn't have referred to the ship as an "X-wing" because their alphabet was different and they wouldn't have known that the ship resembled an English-alphabet "X". I was very amused by that one as well.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
Well, feel free to post your thoughts here. I'll admit it had never dawned on me before until I read it in that book, which is why it stuck with me and I immediately remembered it when BBT used it.

My main rebuttal would be that without Indy mucking things up, and being physically present during the unboxing of the Ark, it might have been done somewhere where even after it obliterated the onlooking Nazis, it would have still remained in Germany's hands.

The other moving-ruining anecdote that Wong cites in his book is that in Star Wars they wouldn't have referred to the ship as an "X-wing" because their alphabet was different and they wouldn't have known that the ship resembled an English-alphabet "X". I was very amused by that one as well.

Is that why those funky sideways ones are called B-wings?

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
They probably also wouldn't've said "wing" since the word in their language isn't "wing". Presumably, whatever they were calling it was also being translated, along with everything, else for the benefit of the audience. There, fixed that one.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
They probably also wouldn't've said "wing" since the word in their language isn't "wing". Presumably, whatever they were calling it was also being translated, along with everything, else for the benefit of the audience. There, fixed that one.
If their alphabet doesn't have any symbol that looks like anything like an X, naming the vehicle based on the shape the wings make makes no sense whatever the translation of 'wing' is.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
If their alphabet doesn't have any symbol that looks like anything like an X, naming the vehicle based on the shape the wings make makes no sense whatever the translation of 'wing' is.
The name is "X wing" in English. It could be anything in another language. Why assume each utterance is translated individually? We casually translate "s'il vous plait" as "please" when it actually means "if is pleases you." Idioms are fun.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I had heard the "Indy is irrelevant to the story" argument before and my first response was the same as Howard's, "The Nazis were digging in the wrong spot" and I got countered in the same way.

I went to a similar argument as yours as that Indy was God's chosen means in order to have the Ark moved to it's new hiding place.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
JYoung
Series 3

BTW, I'm shocked that no one has commented on how well Penny cleaned up at the end of the episode.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
BTW, I'm shocked that no one has commented on how well Penny cleaned up at the end of the episode.
I'm shocked no one has posted a screen grab.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
Idearat

Quote:
I had heard the "Indy is irrelevant to the story" argument before and my first response was the same as Howard's, "The Nazis were digging in the wrong spot" and I got countered in the same way.

I went to a similar argument as yours as that Indy was God's chosen means in order to have the Ark moved to it's new hiding place.
Area 51 was the new "chosen" place? I wouldn't argue that it's not better than with the Nazis, but I don't know I'd go with it being the best place.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'm shocked no one has posted a screen grab.
For science:

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
Idearat

Yeah, as soon as I saw that outfit I knew:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
For science:

Old 10-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Area 51 was the new "chosen" place? I wouldn't argue that it's not better than with the Nazis, but I don't know I'd go with it being the best place.
Raiders didn't specify which government warehouse it was stored in, which contained thousands of identical non-descript crates and I'm sure the paperwork was lost in the government bureaucracy.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
Azlen

Quote:
Raiders didn't specify which government warehouse it was stored in, which contained thousands of identical non-descript crates and I'm sure the paperwork was lost in the government bureaucracy.
Except for the fact that the ark was in the Area 51 warehouse in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I'm fine if we want to pretend that movie never existed though.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Except for the fact that the ark was in the Area 51 warehouse in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I'm fine if we want to pretend that movie never existed though.
Exactly. And that location seems to indicate weapons more than historical research.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #21
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
For science:

I know it's supposed to be sexy and all, but that look for Penny just doesn't work for me. It just makes her look cheap and skanky.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I know it's supposed to be sexy and all, but that look for Penny just doesn't work for me. It just makes her look cheap and skanky.
But sober.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #23
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Yeah, and I don't know if it was just me, but "they" looked really fake. They didn't move or bounce around at all. It's like she has some superficial enhancement just for that shot. They also looked a lot bigger than we've seen in the past. I definitely think there was some "tv magic" going on there to "enhance" the effect.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #24
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Yeah, as soon as I saw that outfit I knew:

She can trap me any day!

So my buddy'd (then at the time soon to be) wife's cousin works as an Executive Producer for BBT and I believe directs or is head writer for every other episode. Anyway, I really wanted to ask my friened to call me in a favor and see if we could see if Kaley Cuoco would be my +1. I never asked him and it would have been a huge longshot (especially clearing it with the bride) but man... just to think of the possibility...

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #25
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
You say that like something is wrong with 'cheap and skanky' !

Actually, I didn't think she looked that good either. I liked her better in her jammies and sleepy eyes so many years ago.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #26
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
So's Sheldon.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #27
eddyj

Penny was SUPPOSED to look cheap and skanky in that scene!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Leonard needs to learn to romance a little better, he saw her and went right for his zipper.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #29
tiams

What was the thing that was being used like a centerpiece on Raj's kitchen table?

I am in my mid 40s and Little House and Indiana Jones were a part of my childhood. I do not think they would be favorite's of these character's as they are from a different generation.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #30
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Overthinking it!