TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Rootwitch

Roamio Plus Toggle Between 2 Tuners?

Coming from a S3HD Tivo, it was nice to toggle and pause between 2 shows / tuners - letting the buffer build on one tuner while watching the other ~ Once a commercial starts, pause - click Live TV to click over to the other tuner, etc.

Just got the Roamio Plus with 6 tunes - Is there an easy way to toggle between 2 shows / tuners, without having to hit the Live TV button multiple times to zip past the tuners I'm not interested in? I know about the Info > Down Arrow > Right Arrow > Down Arrow to directly select a different tuner - But that's a lot of steps too... Is there a way to toggle?

Thanks in advance.
Rootwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
markp99
TakoKichi

On my XL4, while watching a program on Tuner1:

1. Press Right Arrow to get program info
2. Press Arrow Down to see what's happening on the other tuners
3. Press Arrow right to then scroll thru and select another tuner

Guessing it will be similar on the Roamio. Much faster than toggling thru Inputs one-by-one.

Edit: I guess you already know this approach. Sorry
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Rootwitch

Ugh... That's a lot of clicking, compared to:

1. Pause
2. Live TV
3. Play
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
PHeadland

The "enter" button on the bottom right corner of the remote toggles between the two most recent tuners.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Rootwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHeadland View Post
The "enter" button on the bottom right corner of the remote toggles between the two most recent tuners.
Thanks - I'll try that when I get home... I could see this being a MAJOR issue for The Wife if she had to go through multiple steps to toggle between What Not To Wear and Friends....
Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

For my education, why would you need to do this? Why not just record them both and watch without all of the interruptions and flipping around?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Rootwitch

For those times we're just watching "junk tv". So, after work we'll dial in TBS on one tuner for Seinfeld reruns - pause it (letting the buffer build), switch over to the other tuner and dial up Fox for Big Bang Theory reruns - Watch BBT until it goes to commercial break - Pause - Switch back to TBS, FF through commercial and watch Seinfeld until the next commercial break - Rinse, and repeat. It's basically just our routine we've adopted so we never have to sit through commercials.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootwitch View Post
For those times we're just watching "junk tv". So, after work we'll dial in TBS on one tuner for Seinfeld reruns - pause it (letting the buffer build), switch over to the other tuner and dial up Fox for Big Bang Theory reruns - Watch BBT until it goes to commercial break - Pause - Switch back to TBS, FF through commercial and watch Seinfeld until the next commercial break - Rinse, and repeat. It's basically just our routine we've adopted so we never have to sit through commercials.
This. Or watching Baseball and Football at the same time.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
For my education, why would you need to do this? Why not just record them both and watch without all of the interruptions and flipping around?
I do this all the time during the NFL season. I do record the games but I use "live" TV to swap tuners between CBS and FOX when they are showing games at the same time.

One reason I record the games even when watching like this is that it is too easy to accidentally change the channel and lose the live buffer.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Rootwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
One reason I record the games even when watching like this is that it is too easy to accidentally change the channel and lose the live buffer.
LOL! Lost the live buffer quite a few times... Dog steps on the remote... sitting on the remote... clumsy handling of the remote...
Old 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
LOL! Lost the live buffer quite a few times... Dog steps on the remote... sitting on the remote... clumsy handling of the remote...
Ugh! Dropping my remote from the chair almost always will flip a channel change!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Suggestion -- just hit record, so you don't accidentally change channels and lose your buffer.

or instead, don't watch reruns, they're usually hacked up (tons cut for more commercial time) anyway!

(OK, once in a while I watch a rerun, and I did record a bunch of runs of the 2nd season of Scandal on BET or something.. I'm hoping those aren't too hacked up, as I lost a drive that had the original airings on tehm..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Suggestion -- just hit record, so you don't accidentally change channels and lose your buffer.

or instead, don't watch reruns, they're usually hacked up (tons cut for more commercial time) anyway!

(OK, once in a while I watch a rerun, and I did record a bunch of runs of the 2nd season of Scandal on BET or something.. I'm hoping those aren't too hacked up, as I lost a drive that had the original airings on tehm..)
If you have Netflix, Season 2 of Scandal is available for streaming.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
decaf4

Thank you Pheadland! Enter button does it! This was driving me crazy. I use it in the morning to flip between local traffic and weather and national news (skipping commercials) before I go to work.i set it to record briefly in the morning so those two channels are tuned to before I get up so they will have buffer in the morning.
decaf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
simon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHeadland View Post
Awesome, thanks for this great tip. Restores some functionality I was worried I lost in the upgrade.
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
psmith1234

I did not know about the enter button for toggling. However hitting the Live TV button repeatedly will toggle through all of the tuners, one on each hit.
psmith1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
lpwcomp

It's actually the "Enter/Last button. If the last thing you did while watching "Live" TV was switch tuners, it will indeed switch back. If the last thing you did was change the channel on that tuner, it will change it back. Changing the channel will also swap tuners if another tuner is already on that channel.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #18
4mula1Z

Quote:

1. Pause
2. Live TV
3. Play
Nope, that only takes to "live" on the current tuner.
4mula1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #19
4mula1Z

Quote:
Nope, if you accidently "change the channel", just change back, and the buffer is still there. Unless you are recording on all 6 tuners at that moment.
4mula1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #20
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1Z View Post
Nope, if you accidentally "change the channel", just change back, and the buffer is still there. Unless you are recording on all 6 tuners at that moment.
Not true. When you change the channel, that tuner changes channels, so the buffer is lost. However, if you are recording that channel, then of course the buffer is still there.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
Nope, if you accidently "change the channel", just change back, and the buffer is still there. Unless you are recording on all 6 tuners at that moment.
This is true only if one of the other tuners was already set to the channel you accidentally changed to. Otherwise, it changes the channel of the current tuner and the live buffer is voided.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #22
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:

1. Pause
2. Live TV
3. Play
Quote:
Nope, that only takes to "live" on the current tuner.
Not true either. That switches to the next tuner.

Where are you getting your info?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote