TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

What is the audio problem with Netflix? The only thing I've noticed is when I pause and resume, it takes 1.5 to 2 seconds for the DD+ audio to return. It's not instant but 2 seconds it not a big deal.

Although I'm curious what it does on the Mini. I need to try that and see if there is a difference.

EDIT: I see with the Mini the audio comes back slight faster. But only half a second faster. It takes 1 second to 1.5 seconds for the DD+ audio to resume from pausing on the Mini.

Although it's really not an apples to apples comparison since the Mini in this room is connected to a Sony 2.1 Speaker Bar while my Roamio is connected to a Denon receiver and DVDO DUO.

EDIT: I found teh thread about it. A long pause causes a longer amount of time for the audio to return. But with my Roamio connected to my Denon receiver and DVDO DUO, it results in the audio taking only 5 seconds. While my Mini connected to the Speaker bar takes several times longer.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-06-2013 at 10:27 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #32
rehr0001

Are there audio issues on Roamio or is it just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Logic 7?
It's a Harmon Kardon/lexicon processing mode that turns 2 channel sound into 5/7 channel sound and does it really well
rehr0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehr0001 View Post
It's a Harmon Kardon/lexicon processing mode that turns 2 channel sound into 5/7 channel sound and does it really well
Does it work better than Dolby Pro Logic IIx?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #34
rehr0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Does it work better than Dolby Pro Logic IIx?
Personal preference, but I definitely think so.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #35
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
So it is totally fake, made-up surround? Or is it analog Dolby Pro Logic or something?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #36
rehr0001

Quote:
So it is totally fake, made-up surround? Or is it analog Dolby Pro Logic or something?
Read here- http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408362/logic7-beats-dolby

they'll do a much better job than I will. My avr will apply logic 7 over dd, too, and I use it exclusively. Just sounds better to me
Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Read here- http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408362/logic7-beats-dolby

they'll do a much better job than I will. My avr will apply logic 7 over dd, too, and I use it exclusively. Just sounds better to me
I would think it's similar to DPLIIx which creates up to 7.1 discrete audio from 2 channel audio. Either way that is much better than the Sony 7.1 receiver I had back in 2001 which used DPL(Or was it DPLII?), but I think the back surround channels were mono instead of simulating discrete audio.

I just know the first 7.1 receiver I had with DPLIIx was a big improvement.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #38
Starter17

Quote:
It's digital. Either it is perfect or it is nothing or it is digitally breaking up. There really aren't any other inbetweens...
This is incorrect. DACs (digital audio converters) vary widely in quality. You will absolutely hear the difference between an audiophile-grade DAC and a cheap one.

I'm also having audio issues with my Roamio, the OP is correct, the sound is off. Coming from an Xbox One, music sounds slightly muffled and compressed, with a far narrower sound-stage. The Spotify service on the Roamio streams at 320kbs (roughly CD quality) whereas Xbox Music is only 190kbs (older MP3 quality)... So if the chipsets were comparable, the Roamio should have the edge. This points to lower-end audio hardware at work within the Roamio.

Frankly, it may be a deal-breaker for me. I like the all-in-one convenience of the Roamio, but I'm not going to tolerate bad sound when I've spent thousands on ultra high-end speakers and amplifier. Granted, I often listen to vinyl or HD CD's, but I enjoy streaming music services for quick listening and discovering new music.

I'm using a basic 4-tuner Roamio, perhaps the higher-end models utilize a better chipset for audio. I'll investigate... If the sound is the same, I'll unfortunately have to return the Tivo and continue using the Xbox One with my cable box as an all-in-one interface...
Starter17 is offline   Reply With Quote