TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Goober96

Are there audio issues on Roamio or is it just me?

I hooked up my Pro today through my Sony AV receiver and the sound doesn't seem to be as good as it was from the Premiere Elite. After fast forwarding it seems to be even worse and then improves as it plays. Is this just me or has anyone else with a Dolby Digital AV receiver noticed anything like this?
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I use optical to a receiver and dolby digital. Sounds exactly the same as the Premiere and the HD did.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Sounds fine to me. I have HDMI directly to the receiver.

Any chance you knocked something loose when you were hooking it up?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

I don't think so, but it's always possible. I'll check that later today.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

It's digital. Either it is perfect or it is nothing or it is digitally breaking up. There really aren't any other inbetweens...
Old 09-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
wolfie3216

Series 3 audio better than Premiere.

I have a Series 3 and a Premiere, and the Series 3 audio is hands-down better than the Premiere. The difference is night and day. The Series 3 is THX, while the Premiere is not.

Did the THX certification go away with the Roamio??

W.
wolfie3216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Rkkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Is this just me or has anyone else with a Dolby Digital AV receiver noticed anything like this?

Mine seems to be a little lower volume when I first do some things, then increase a little back to normal after a second or two.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie3216 View Post
I have a Series 3 and a Premiere, and the Series 3 audio is hands-down better than the Premiere. The difference is night and day. The Series 3 is THX, while the Premiere is not.

W.
I never had a difference with mine. They were identical with the audio output since both were bitstreamed to a receiver.

And no THX certification with the Roamio. Tivo must have finally figured out it was a waste of money.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post

Mine seems to be a little lower volume when I first do some things, then increase a little back to normal after a second or two.
Yeah that's what I'm experiencing. So it's not just me then. Do we have bad units then?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Series3Sub

But if they would have paid for--I mean "earned" the THX certification, at least they could crow about some difference between the Plus and the Pro giving some people a reason to pay for the higher price giving the Pro grater "value." He, he. SARCASM! . I can't see any reason to buy the Pro at the MSRP because it is cheaper to get a Plus and put in your own larger HDD and save about $100 or more depending upon which HDD one installs, since TiVo has given us no indication that there is any technical or feature wise difference between the Plus and Pro except the larger HDD. Just when they need the THX Cert most, they don't want it. He, he, he,. I'm sorry but I still find this LOL. For what it is worth, I think the Pro is going to appeal to professional home theater builders/installers who are spending other people's (rich people's) money and they can proudly say they have the TiVo Roamio "PRO"! .
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Goober96

It appealed to me because I wanted 3 TB and didn't want to risk voiding the warranty to save $100 or less. Just because TiVo hasn't enforced that in the past doesn't mean they can't and won't in the future and the savings just wasn't worth that risk to me.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Goober96

Another issue without starting another thread: how long should it take for all guide data to be loaded? I don't remember it taking this long with past models. Some channels are still "to be announced" after a day and I have forced multiple calls. Does forcing calls even help load guide data?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Goober96

Definitely noticing the audio issue after using replay to jump back 8 seconds. The audio level drops (but not completely out) and then increases a few seconds later. I just e-mailed TiVo to open a case on it to determine if it is a bad box or if there is some software issue they can fix. Would like to avoid a replacement if at all possible.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Another issue without starting another thread: how long should it take for all guide data to be loaded? I don't remember it taking this long with past models. Some channels are still "to be announced" after a day and I have forced multiple calls. Does forcing calls even help load guide data?
My guide updated very quickly. When I checked a few hours after setting it up I was surprised the guide data already went out 12 days on my Roamio Pro.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

My guide updated very quickly. When I checked a few hours after setting it up I was surprised the guide data already went out 12 days on my Roamio Pro.
On all channels? I have most channels but some (CMT, FX, SyFy, Fox News for example) are still "to be announced."
Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
On all channels? I have most channels but some (CMT, FX, SyFy, Fox News for example) are still "to be announced."
I checked a bunch of channels and they all went out for 12 days or so. One of the first things I do when setting up a TiVo is selecting the channel lineup. So on FiOS I have all the HD channels selected and a couple dozen SD channels selected so that could be part of the reason. But I did the same thing when I set up my Elites and they didn't update that quickly.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Quote:
I had a similar problem where many of my channels were "to be announced" many hours after initial setup.

To fix I re-ran guided setup. After that everything was populated.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirks View Post
I had a similar problem where many of my channels were "to be announced" many hours after initial setup.

Thanks I'll try that.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirks View Post

That worked. Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

The audio is pure digital, so there is nothing TiVo could be doing to effect the volume. You can't effect the volume of Dolby Digital audio without recoding, and you can't recode DD audio without a hefty license which I'm sure they don't have. Because if they did have a DD license then they would be able to properly overlay the BeeDoop sounds when using trickplay on a DD show.

So if you hear this weird audio volume drop it's likely your receiver. Maybe you have some sort of auto equalizer or normalization setting set and the silence produced by the trickplay is causing it to ramp up the volume like that. A lot of TVs have settings like that to prevent you from getting blasted by loud commercials.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #21
Goober96

Quote:
The audio is pure digital, so there is nothing TiVo could be doing to effect the volume. You can't effect the volume of Dolby Digital audio without recoding, and you can't recode DD audio without a hefty license which I'm sure they don't have. Because if they did have a DD license then they would be able to properly overlay the BeeDoop sounds when using trickplay on a DD show.

So if you hear this weird audio volume drop it's likely your receiver. Maybe you have some sort of auto equalizer or normalization setting set and the silence produced by the trickplay is causing it to ramp up the volume like that. A lot of TVs have settings like that to prevent you from getting blasted by loud commercials.
I don't have the TiVo sounds turned on and the receiver was working fine with the Elite. I have changed the HDMI cable and I still have the problem. I can try changing the HDMI port on the receiver but I haven't made any changes to it since the Elite was hooked up.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
ScaryMike

Quote:

I don't have the TiVo sounds turned on and the receiver was working fine with the Elite. I have changed the HDMI cable and I still have the problem. I can try changing the HDMI port on the receiver but I haven't made any changes to it since the Elite was hooked up.
Could you try hooking the tivo directly to the TV as a test? If you still have the problem, you know its the TiVO, if the problem goes away, its something to do with the receiver.
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
The TiVo sounds don't work with DD audio anyway, so any time you do a trick play a tiny bit of silence is introduced. If you are using any sort of auto normalization setting then that bit of silence could confuse the algorithm and cause the effect you describe.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie3216 View Post

THX certification means absolutely nothing.
I am using an optical connection to the Roamio just like on my Premiere and the HD before that. Sound is exactly identical (as one would expect).

If there is a change, it is something you introduced outside the TiVo or your audio settings are not the same (or your Roamio is just broken, which is the most unlikely case).

Don't know about the postings about audio volume changing on jumping back in video. I have had my Roamio for weeks and have not had that happen.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #25
KingPenguin

I've experienced similar "symptoms" before which turned out to be an audio cut out of digital audio out to the receiver, but the audio on the TV was enabled at a lower volume so it seemed as though the volume was cut down when really there were 2 audio sources and one was dropping out entirely.
KingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPenguin View Post
I've experienced similar "symptoms" before which turned out to be an audio cut out of digital audio out to the receiver, but the audio on the TV was enabled at a lower volume so it seemed as though the volume was cut down when really there were 2 audio sources and one was dropping out entirely.
Haha, hadn't even considered that. I always turn off my TV speakers and use the receiver exclusively, but this makes perfect sense for those who use both.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
rehr0001

I lose sync on my old receiver (hk avr8000) when I'm using DD and switch from live TV to Netflix or other apps. In order to get it back, I have to cycle the digital mode on the receiver to force another handshake and get my audio back. Had this on my series 3, went away on my premiere, and is back on the Roamio. I just set it to PCM and use Logic 7 on my receiver to get it back to "multi-channel" and it still sounds great.
rehr0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #28
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehr0001 View Post
I just set it to PCM and use Logic 7 on my receiver to get it back to "multi-channel" and it still sounds great.
Logic 7?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #29
Goober96

The sound on the TV is off. I don't have the problem when turning off Dolby in the TiVo's settings so it's definitely something to do with Dolby Digital. I'm working with Margaret on it through e-mail and there has been mention of an audio problem with Netflix (which I haven't used yet on the Roamio). If this problem is related to that one, hopefully the fix for it will fix my issue as well.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is absolutely no way TiVo could effect just a single channel of the Dolby stream. It's just not possible with compressed format like AC3. The only thing they might be doing wrong is reporting the wrong format to the receiver via HDMI. Then your reciver could be trying to decode the wrong format and get an error. If it was something similar, but different, like EAC3 it could result in a minor error that only sounded like slight distortion.