TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #91
rhettf
R3T1CAL

I can see why the auto HD feature can be useful for some but its probably not a priority for TiVo since it would require a whole new channel mapping layer for EVERY market. Its easier for your comcast northern california corporation to do it since they are only worrying about the channel numbers in their market. Giving us the option would be nice...but personally one of my favorite features of the TiVo has been that I can remove every SD Channel from my lineup. Now when I go to guide I don't have to hit additional buttons AND TiVo suggestions will only record HD shows (there might be a new way to do it but I have always used this method).

In the bay area none of the HD channel numbers have changed dramatically, they conveniently start in the 700 and go to 840. In my opinion the easiest thing is to get rid of SD channels from your guide so the TiVo only records HD and after about a month you'll remember your favorite channel numbers...or you'll just start adding more SP. I still don't know what channel FX, USA, TNT, Comedy Central, HGTV, Food Network, or any basic HD channel are. I just record stuff and let the TiVo do all the heavy lifting.

When guest come over and use the TV they have no issues, maybe its because people in my age group 20-30 have never actually paid attention to channel numbers regardless and just look on the guide for the channel name.

Either way its down to the user, I can see how its more convenient for some but change isn't a bad thing, typing in 702 instead of 2 is just muscle memory after a month anyway.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #92
obeythelaw2004

Seeing this thread makes me really wish Tivo had this feature. Back when I was with Directv, if I hit my local CBS channel which is Channel 2, it automatically when to the HD feed. Even my Verizon Fios box I had at least had the option that if you were tuned into an SD channel, all you had to do was press the "C" button and it automatically would go to the HD channel. Sometimes its not a matter of not remembering the channels but sometimes I don't know if a channel was in HD or not.
Another question, also, is does Tivo let you set the settings to record to always record just in HD on the HD channel?
obeythelaw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #93
leiff

[quote=rhettf;9863438]I can see why the auto HD feature can be useful for some but its probably not a priority for TiVo since it would require a whole new channel mapping layer for EVERY market. Its easier for your comcast northern california corporation to do it since they are only worrying about the channel numbers in their market. Giving us the option would be nice...but personally one of my favorite features of the TiVo has been that I can remove every SD Channel from my lineup. Now when I go to guide I don't have to hit additional buttons AND TiVo suggestions will only record HD shows (there might be a new way to do it but I have always used this method). /QUOTE]

If your sugguesting to go into channels recieved and tick all non hd channels one at a time. thats like over 500 -no thanks. instead i go into fafavorites and tick my hd's there and just stick using fav filter. This would mean you still get sd suggestins, though I dont use suggestions
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #94
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
If your sugguesting to go into channels recieved and tick all non hd channels one at a time. thats like over 500 -no thanks. instead i go into fafavorites and tick my hd's there and just stick using fav filter. This would mean you still get sd suggestins, though I dont use suggestions
At a second apiece (and it doesn't take longer on most cable systems, though its possible some might intersperse all HD and SD channels), 500 channels is less than 10 minutes. That has to be done once, and you never have to worry about them again (unless you get a total renumbering like TimeWarner has just done). That's worth it to me; most folks posting in this thread have probably spent longer reading and writing all the posts!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #95
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Exactly, you only do it once and it's not that big a deal. Solves other problems too like Wishlists recording from SD channels instead of the HDs you want.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote