TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #31
TC25D

Of all the software issues/improvements TiVo could/should be working on, personalized channel mapping should be at the bottom of this list, if it makes the list at all.

Let's see...

1. Press number on remote.
2. Look up number pressed in a database/file kept locally to see if it's mapped to another channel.
3. Yes, tune to mapped channel.
4. No, tune to original channel.
5. Write error correction routine in case the mapped channel doesn't exist.
6. Add option to allow users with the ability to learn new channels to opt out of the overhead needed to check for a mapped channel.

Obviously, an interface would have to be written to allow editing of this mapping.

Yep, bottom of the list.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
anthonymoody

Gee thanks for the especially insightful commentary.

Trust me - if I'd wanted your opinion, I would've asked.

Really.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #33
Arcady
Stargate Fan

It looks like this "feature" can be controlled by the cable company. TWC is doing it now in at least some markets.

See this post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...08#post9804708
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #34
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Really.
You are asking for EVERYONE's opinion when you create a post on a public forum.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #35
swerver

Harsh and/or defensive crowd. Who wouldn't rather key 2 than 702 or whatever it is? He makes a pretty good point - if the crappiest of dvr's can do it, why can't tivo?
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
jrtroo
User

Is this even something that a cablecard could provide? I don't see the cablecos looking to make this easy for Tivo to utilize, thus keeping it to themselves.

Who manually enters channels anymore with a Tivo? (I know... lots of folks use live TV, even with a tivo)
Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #37
TC25D

Quote:

Really.
Clearly you're unfamiliar with how Internet forums work.

Really.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #38
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Harsh and/or defensive crowd. Who wouldn't rather key 2 than 702 or whatever it is? He makes a pretty good point - if the crappiest of dvr's can do it, why can't tivo?
To be fair, the OP is being harsh, not the crowd. Differing opinions are allowed on the internet.

Personally I don't have a need for such a feature, but to each their own.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #39
swerver

Maybe so. Anyway to add my 2 cents - this is really only useful for about 5 channels, so I can see that would add to its low priority status.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #40
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
You are asking for EVERYONE's opinion when you create a post on a public forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
Clearly you're unfamiliar with how Internet forums work.

Really.
Bzzt. Thanks for playing, and thanks for the reading comprehension fail. I specifically asked whether a particular feature was available, not what anyone thought of said feature. If people want to post their unsolicited opinions then I am more than free to call them out about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
To be fair, the OP is being harsh, not the crowd. Differing opinions are allowed on the internet.

Personally I don't have a need for such a feature, but to each their own.
I'm not being harsh at all. It's not that differing opinions aren't allowed, it's just that they weren't solicited. If I want something (like this feature), it's because I know I want it. And so I asked about it. It's not available, and so fine. It's disappointing, but it is what it is.

What I don't need, and what shows the sort of mindless idiocy and gall of people, is instead of taking your extremely reasonable stance (don't have a need, to each their own), they take it upon themselves to "convince" me why I don't need said feature, how useless it is, how unnecessary it is, etc.

It's like you go to Ben & Jerry's, and you order vanilla, and they happen to be out of it, and instead of simply saying they're out of it, they tell you that they don't like vanilla, that it's not good, and that chocolate is simply better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Maybe so. Anyway to add my 2 cents - this is really only useful for about 5 channels, so I can see that would add to its low priority status.
It's actually useful for every single channel that has an HD and SD version. I've not counted but it's something like 200 here. If you're referring to those that don't match evenly, it's still useful as has been voiced not only by me but others above (eg - who wouldn't rather tune to 2 vs 702 if they had the option?)
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #41
fdisker2000

I know this isn't exactly what the op was looking for but I use a Harmony Ultimate remote for this. It is easily programmed with icons for my family to select the HD channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20130910_071219.jpg (22.8 KB, 40 views)
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #42
TC25D

Quote:
Bzzt. Thanks for playing, and thanks for the reading comprehension fail. I specifically asked whether a particular feature was available, not what anyone thought of said feature. If people want to post their unsolicited opinions then I am more than free to call them out about it.
I fully comprehended your posts, what feature you wanted and posted my opinion re: the likelihood of it being implemented. If you don't want 'unsolicited opinions' don't read them.

Next time, ask a question whether a certain feature of your cable company's DVR is available on a TiVo before you purchase one instead of complaining about its absence afterwards.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #43
Arcady
Stargate Fan

With all the bickering and arguing, I guess nobody bothered to read my post about how this is actually available and happening on some systems.

Whatever.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #44
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would hate for a STB to tune to a different channel than I select. If I enter channel 2 then that is the channel I want to go to. I wouldn't want it to go to something like 702. If I wanted to go to 702 then I would enter 702.

I'm glad the TiVos do not do this. I would hate this.
Same here, this is a typical PEBCAK problem and should be at the bottom of the long list of stuff that Tivo should do IMO.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #45
cypherstream

Hi, I came here from a Google search asking this very question. I knew older Tivo's couldn't do this, but was hoping the new Roamio could.

I currently have DirecTV and love how you type in the number for ESPN for example and it shows it in HD. You type in 3 for CBS here and it's right there in HD. This is the default option. In the settings you can choose "show SD duplicates" and then SD and HD equivalents are next to each other. Other options are "Hide HD Duplicates" and "Hide SD Duplicates (default)".

I never have to change this setting and I'm not missing out on any programming. I always keep an eye on the local cable co but their DVR stinks. It's just low end Motorola or Pace DVR's running I-Guide and they do not offer multiroom or any way to remotely program the DVR from the net or control it via a tablet / iPhone. So TiVo Roamio would be the way to go. But since this feature doesn't exist (yet), I will stick with DirecTV. Was always a problem with the wife or guests. It's always a problem at my inlaws who have cable. I swear they only watch HD when I visit. They have TWC and only about 15 channels or so "auto tune" to HD. They just do the local networks, ESPN, CNN, and the premium movie channels. Father in law watches a lot of NFL Network but that is one that TWC doesn't remap. So they end up watching a lot of SD still.

I wish we were to the point where SD would just go away. A channel should just be HD these days. HD should now be the de facto standard. They don't even sell tube TV's anymore. Heck our township won't let us throw CRT's away anymore. We have to take them to a special recycling center. Can't leave the old boob tube at the curb anymore. Point is TV's have evolved, so why haven't the broadcast standard? I'm sure cable could save a few QAM channels by eliminating the SD feeds.

TWC can do it. DirecTV and Dish Network can do it. Passport / Passport Echo cable software can do it. Buckeye cable HD-DTA's do it. Xfinity X1 does it. It is becoming more common, just not fast enough for my liking.
cypherstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #46
Arcady
Stargate Fan

How come when I press the 9 button on my remote, pictures of naked ladies don't magically appear?

Oh that's right, because channel 9 is an analog channel, which my digital receiver doesn't get. But I want it to magically map to another unrelated channel that isn't the channel button I pressed.

Maybe I'm too stupid to use a TV.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #47
MScottC

Sure, it's cool idea, but I have yet to meet a piece of equipment that does EVERYTHING I'd like it to do. The problem is that if you accommodate every possibility, you create bloatware. So hardware/software providers put in what they believe are the most desirable features and choices. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. If they get it right more than they get it wrong, they succeed. But you'll always get whining losers who will find all the wrongs and never feel good about all the right on what is a good or even great product to the majority of users. This seems to be the case here. TiVo created a great product category. Some of the products in the line had problems, but over the years, they keep delivering mostly good product, and in the case of Roamio, it's bordering on great. Are there issues, sure. Are there things that need to be fixed, sure. But the product works as advertised quite well, and it adds incredible functionality to the point I was at before this purchase.

And one more note to the original poster. Stop whining when someone opines about something you post about. Put me in the camp with everyone else; the moment you post on a public forum, you open up the thread to every user's opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it, but if you start the conversation, others are entitled to join it as they see fit, as long as they don't abuse others.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #48
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
Hi, I came here from a Google search asking this very question. I knew older Tivo's couldn't do this, but was hoping the new Roamio could.

I currently have DirecTV and love how you type in the number for ESPN for example and it shows it in HD. You type in 3 for CBS here and it's right there in HD. This is the default option. In the settings you can choose "show SD duplicates" and then SD and HD equivalents are next to each other. Other options are "Hide HD Duplicates" and "Hide SD Duplicates (default)".

I never have to change this setting and I'm not missing out on any programming. I always keep an eye on the local cable co but their DVR stinks. It's just low end Motorola or Pace DVR's running I-Guide and they do not offer multiroom or any way to remotely program the DVR from the net or control it via a tablet / iPhone. So TiVo Roamio would be the way to go. But since this feature doesn't exist (yet), I will stick with DirecTV. Was always a problem with the wife or guests. It's always a problem at my inlaws who have cable. I swear they only watch HD when I visit. They have TWC and only about 15 channels or so "auto tune" to HD. They just do the local networks, ESPN, CNN, and the premium movie channels. Father in law watches a lot of NFL Network but that is one that TWC doesn't remap. So they end up watching a lot of SD still.

I wish we were to the point where SD would just go away. A channel should just be HD these days. HD should now be the de facto standard. They don't even sell tube TV's anymore. Heck our township won't let us throw CRT's away anymore. We have to take them to a special recycling center. Can't leave the old boob tube at the curb anymore. Point is TV's have evolved, so why haven't the broadcast standard? I'm sure cable could save a few QAM channels by eliminating the SD feeds.

TWC can do it. DirecTV and Dish Network can do it. Passport / Passport Echo cable software can do it. Buckeye cable HD-DTA's do it. Xfinity X1 does it. It is becoming more common, just not fast enough for my liking.
This is really a function of the Cable Operator. They choose the channels for their stations. Like you mention DirecTV decided to handle it differently than the cable operators. In reality, there is a simple solution for the cable operators. For HD devices: When they offer channel 2 in HD, put the HD on channel 2. (If they still want to make the SD available, then put the SD on channel 2002. This would really just be a power user function to make smaller recordings anyways.) For SD devices: Don't map HD channels at all and leave the SD version at the lower numbers (channel 2 would be SD in this case).

If Tivo were to give an option to remap channels, that would be a support nightmare and the cable companies would not be very happy. Tivo needs to keep them reasonably happy as it isn't a great relationship to begin with. Also, that remapping would have to be a somewhat manual process (could be partially automated, but not completely). That costs money and there are a lot of cable operators and different channel lineups out there.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #49
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
But since this feature doesn't exist (yet), I will stick with DirecTV.
You've got to be kidding.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #50
cypherstream

Nope. I'm happy with DirecTV. Has all the content I want. We always record HD and watch HD when it's available. It's MPEG4 so it takes less space on the hard drive. Genie can record 5 things at once and has PIP. When you threaten to leave DirecTV, they give you huge discounts on the bill.

But the local cable co has good HD content as well, even more HD like Reelz, the CSPAN's, HSN, The Hub HD, and a handful of others. However if life is good with DirecTV and moving to Tivo on Cable would make a huge learning curve for the wife and guests, then might as well not make the switch. I just really came here to find out if this new Tivo has this option. Since I'm happy with my provider and Tivo does not (neither does my cable co) then no point in the hassle of switching. I'll keep my eye on the technology though just in case.

Some people say they want a certain channel. Well its the content. If you want NBC, CBS, ESPN, ABC, Disney, HBO, Discovery, Science, Bravo, E!, DIY, etc... you see that content you wanted, just in HD... every time with auto tune HD. If I want DIY and go to DIY I see it in HD. If my father in law wants DIY and types the number for DIY he see's it in SD because the HD version is on some weird number that has no correspondence to the SD number on his cable company issued DVR.
cypherstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #51
dsnotgood

No offense OP but that is a dumb request. If I tell a cable box to do something, it should do it and not do what it "thinks" I want to do (tune to HD channel instead of sd).

Just because your old cable box did it doesn't mean it's good.

Also why not just record your shows? That's the whole point of tivo, no need to channel surf.

Anyways after a few months, you will be fine. I was the same coming from a cable box, my complaint was pushing 2 buttons to record instead of one but I got over it once I started recording everything.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #52
AdamNJ

Quote:
moving to Tivo on Cable would make a huge learning curve for the wife and guests, then might as well not make the switch.
So i take it you'll never leave direct tv just because you know the channel numbers? Forget about the local broadcast basics...most/every channel is going to be different across providers. Sounds stupid to me, but to each his own.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #53
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #54
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
With all the bickering and arguing, I guess nobody bothered to read my post about how this is actually available and happening on some systems.

Whatever.
You are quite correct -- TW is moving its eastern markets to a uniform channel arrangement where there is one channel number for a given service, and it auto-selects HD if your box is HD (including TiVos) and HD is available, conversely SD sets on digital adapters will always get a 480i version of the channel. We get it in Rochester on 10/15. It will be so much better than trying to manually figure out which channels are redundant SD versions of HD channels, and which are different in content.

The channels will also be grouped by type, so all the locals and networks can be surfed quickly, all free movies are grouped together, all premium movies together, all sports, etc. It will be an adjustment, but a big improvement. Plus when we cross-visit with our daughter in the Albany market we will both know just where to find everything.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #55
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post

No offense OP but that is a dumb request. If I tell a cable box to do something, it should do it and not do what it "thinks" I want to do (tune to HD channel instead of sd).
I used to have a Comcast Motorola DVR, and I'm fairly certain that if you selected the SD version of a channel, a message would pop up alerting you to the fact that an HD version of the channel was also available. You then had the option to switch to the HD channel with a single click. It's hard to argue against this implementation.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #56
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
It's hard to argue against this implementation.
No it's not.

1. I listed all my SD channels.
2. Determined if there was an HD equivalent.
3. If there was, I removed the SD channel.

Once and done.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #57
Goober96

I just removed all SD channels regardless. I'm not going to watch an SD channel. That's so 80s.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #58
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
No it's not.

1. I listed all my SD channels.
2. Determined if there was an HD equivalent.
3. If there was, I removed the SD channel.

Once and done.
I don't see the argument against the implementation gweempose suggested in your response. All I see there is a list of steps to remove SD dups.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #59
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
I don't see the argument against the implementation gweempose suggested in your response. All I see there is a list of steps to remove SD dups.
If you remove all the SD channels with HD counterparts, there's no need for gweempose's suggestion.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #60
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

You(or a guest or family member) could still tune directly via channel number. If the info banner had a 'switch to hd version' option, I'd consider that to be an improved user experience, even though I too remove the sd dups.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote