TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
anthonymoody

Any way to tell Roamio to auto tune HD channels?

Just back to TiVo after three years in Scientific Atlanta purgatory. Love the Roamio plus so far (even though I've had to drop back to 5 tuners).

Something I noticed straight away...TiVo doesn't seem to know that when I select channel 2, it should (behind the scenes) auto tune the HD version which is channel 702 here (Cablevision in Westchester county, NY).

As bad as the SA DVR was, as least it knew to do this. I deselected all the non HD channels in the guide, which helps with clutter. But...still a tad frustrating since everyone in the family is used to certain channel slots and some don't match so neatly (eg YES is 70 in SD but 715 in HD).

Anyway to use the lower number channels and have the TiVo auto tune the HD versions?

TIA.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

No.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Anyway to use the lower number channels and have the TiVo auto tune the HD versions?

TIA.
Go into Channels I Receive and uncheck every SD channel that has an HD equivalent, so your channel surfing pool only has HD wherever possible.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
Go into Channels I Receive and uncheck every SD channel that has an HD equivalent, so your channel surfing pool only has HD wherever possible.
You can also do the deselect of SD Channels right in the guide.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
DaveDFW

Quote:
Nope. Even if you have unchecked the SD channels from the guide, you can still select those SD channels by simply keying in their numbers.

It sounds you have some family re-training to do.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Millionaire2K

I think the real problem here is your family not wanting to learn the HD chs. Why would you tune to an SD station just to be switched to the HD version?

Go oldschool and print out a HD ch listing. Also try changing the guide order to A-z. This will make it easier to find the HD ch's you don't know without having to go to the SD ones you know.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
anthonymoody

Well when you've had the same channel lineup for years and years and years you get very used to certain things. 2 has been CBS for decades. Having to tune 702 to see the HD version of this is unnecessary as even the horrible SA dvr has demonstrated.

Add two 7 year olds into the mix (Nik is one of the channels that doesn't line up...) and things get even tougher.

I get that it's not a hardship, but given that the worst DVR on earth does this automatically I don't think it's asking too much. The data to map a channel slot (eg 2) to the HD version of the station (eg 702) obviously exists as the SA DVR does this. Or, if not easily accessible somehow, maybe they could at least offer the ability to optionally remap channels manually.

I did de-select all the non HD channels, as I stated. And it does reduce guide clutter which is nice. But for direct tuning, it just strikes me as strange that a cutting edge DVR - which in every other way I can find runs circles around the SA box - can't do something I find pretty basic, and more importantly handy.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Better yet teach your family that there is no need to live watch TV, then they wont need to know what channel anything is on.

Last edited by Dan203 : 09-06-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
FACTAgent

FYI - Windows Media Center can do this (merge HD with SD channel in the guide and allow you to select which source - SD or HD - is tuned). For instance, I merged 702 into 02 so I have one listing from CBS with 8 sources to choose from (4 ch Ceton) and the ability to set default prioritization among the sources. I have asked Tivo for comparable functionality in every survey I fill out. This is better than SA or Tivo because customer has a choice - some users on Cablevision forum want to record the SD channels to save space on their 8300 DVRs.
FACTAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
wco81

When you do a search for shows, does it at least identify which ones are in HD and which ones are not?

Say you search for a Fox show and it would show both the SD channel and the HD channel ones with the latter labled as such?

That is how Direct TV's DVRs do it.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
When you do a search for shows, does it at least identify which ones are in HD and which ones are not?
Yes.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Arcady
Stargate Fan

What would you do on the other box if you actually wanted to watch the SD version of a channel? I do that when they stretch or zoom an SD show on the HD version of the channel, and I want to watch it without getting a headache from the stretched/zoomed mess.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
What would you do on the other box if you actually wanted to watch the SD version of a channel? I do that when they stretch or zoom an SD show on the HD version of the channel, and I want to watch it without getting a headache from the stretched/zoomed mess.
Me too.

So many times I have wished for an "unstretch" setting on the zoom button. Especially for that non-linear stretch that some channels use. When anything has left-right panning while stretched I get so dizzy…
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

I would hate for a STB to tune to a different channel than I select. If I enter channel 2 then that is the channel I want to go to. I wouldn't want it to go to something like 702. If I wanted to go to 702 then I would enter 702.

I'm glad the TiVos do not do this. I would hate this.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
anthonymoody

Gee Aaron thanks for coming out in favor of lack of user choice. I really love when people decide that their opinion and/or use case is "the way it should be" and try to jam it on everyone else. I hate that I don't have the option to enable this basic, handy functionality. I never said every tivo should automatically auto tune HD. Choice man, choice. See how that works?

Having to manage HD space is no longer an issue for me.

Watching SD on a 75" screen is basically a non starter, so I don't.

Relearning or reteaching new channel slots is unnecessary. Not a hardship, just unnecessary. As has now been pointed out repeatedly, both very powerful solutions (WMC) and the worst DVR on earth (SA) can do this. So it ain't rocket science.

Though, since TiVo can't even figure out a way to hire a temp dev to redo the SD menus I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they can't be bothered to offer this kind of simple, handy, optional functionality.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Gee Aaron thanks for coming out in favor of lack of user choice. I really love when people decide that their opinion and/or use case is "the way it should be" and try to jam it on everyone else. I hate that I don't have the option to enable this basic, handy functionality. I never said every tivo should automatically auto tune HD. Choice man, choice. See how that works?

Relearning or reteaching new channel slots is unnecessary. Not a hardship, just unnecessary. As has now been pointed out repeatedly, both very powerful solutions (WMC) and the worst DVR on earth (SA) can do this. So it ain't rocket science.

Though, since TiVo can't even figure out a way to hire a temp dev to redo the SD menus I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they can't be bothered to offer this kind of simple, handy, optional functionality.
I'm with you -- think there should be channel aliasing to speed up direct channel entry, since cable systems seem intent on longer numbers for HD.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
SugarBowl

My family watches channel 2. I watch channel 1102. I've learned not to care if they keep watching SD.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
My family watches channel 2. I watch channel 1102. I've learned not to care if they keep watching SD.
It really is funny (sad) how many homes one walks into to find people "loving" their shiny new flat panels unaware of the fact that they're watching an SD feed!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Where did i say that is the way it should be? i stated my opinion only. I never said any where that is the way it should be. i only said I(not someone else) was glad they did not work that way and I would hate it if they did.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
It really is funny (sad) how many homes one walks into to find people "loving" their shiny new flat panels unaware of the fact that they're watching an SD feed!
Some people are fully aware they are watching SD. My parents know perfectly well which channels are HD and which are SD on Comcast. My Mom prefers to tune in the SD channels and my Dad doesn't care whether the SD channel or the HD channel is being tuned. But that is their choice so it's not my place to say it should be otherwise. If they want to watch SD let them, it would not be my choice though.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Some people are fully aware they are watching SD. My parents know perfectly well which channels are HD and which are SD on Comcast. My Mom prefers to tune in the SD channels and my Dad doesn't care whether the SD channel or the HD channel is being tuned. But that is their choice so it's not my place to say it should be otherwise. If they want to watch SD let them, it would not be my choice though.
Don't they pay extra for the HD channels? If so, and they're happy with SD, why pay for something they are not using? Just curious.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
Old Hickory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Maybe they are trying to conserve 1s and 0s.
Old Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
Don't they pay extra for the HD channels? If so, and they're happy with SD, why pay for something they are not using? Just curious.
They also pay verizon over $70 a month just for home phone service, even though they could add phone service from Comcast for around $20 or $30. If the HD channels are extra they don't really care about the extra price. And they are well into their seventies so they are pretty much set in their ways.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #24
AdamNJ

If I recall correctly, the cablevision sa8300hd only started automatically pulling the hd feed recently...like once the all digital started last year. I've had CV for over 5 years and I've always used the 700's because i specifically remember that the lower channels were not HD.

The long and short of it is, the functionality you want isn't currently available so you will have to retrain your family. If you don't list the channels in your channel list, and change your guide to only display 'my channels' or 'favorites', then I think you family will learn soon enough. If they type 2, it tunes to 2, then they press the channel up button and it will go to the next channel u have set as available in 'my channels' or 'favorites'.
You can certainly call up TiVo and complain and maybe one day it will be an option.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
anthonymoody

Aaron - come on. Your original post stated flatly "I'm glad the TiVos do not do this. I would hate this." You would hate an optional feature? No of course not bc that would be a ludicrous position to take. What you would hate is being forced to have it be different than the way you want it without being given a choice.

And of course some people are aware they're watching SD. I never said otherwise. What I did point out is that many people watch SD without realizing this. I've observed it myself first hand on numerous occassions. And even a cursory scan of the AVS forums reveals plenty of same.

You're being argumentative for no reason I can see other than someone having pissed in your Cheerios. Maybe your Roamio is locking up. Lighten up dude.

---

Adam - FWIW the SA8300 DVR here in Westchester Cablevision has auto tuned HD for at least the last 3 years as that's when I went back to their triple play. Based on my displays and viewing eye there's no way I would've been watching SD without knowing it.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Aaron - come on. Your original post stated flatly "I'm glad the TiVos do not do this. I would hate this." You would hate an optional feature? No of course not bc that would be a ludicrous position to take. What you would hate is being forced to have it be different than the way you want it without being given a choice.

And of course some people are aware they're watching SD. I never said otherwise. What I did point out is that many people watch SD without realizing this. I've observed it myself first hand on numerous occassions. And even a cursory scan of the AVS forums reveals plenty of same.

You're being argumentative for no reason I can see other than someone having pissed in your Cheerios. Maybe your Roamio is locking up. Lighten up dude.

---

As I stated I would hate for a box to switch to a different channel than I choose. If there is an option to disable this then the problem is solved. It's not an issue for me.

I never mentioned anything about an optional feature. I'm not being argumentative, just clarifying what I said since you are reading more into what I wrote. What I wrote is what I meant, there is no hidden meaning. I did not mention anything about an optional feature and an optional feature never even entered my mind when I made the post.

The first time an optional feature entered my mind was a minute ago when I read your post.

Of course if a feature is optional, then that is of course preferable because then people that want it can use it and people that don't want it, don't need to enable it. In the last 12+ years of recording HD and watching HD, I don't recall ever having a tuner that would tune to a different channel than I entered. If any of those devices did have that capability then I was never aware of it.

I do know that DirecTV does something like this but when I had DirecTV for HD between 2001 and 2007 I'm not aware of any of my DirecTV STBs having this. Although I only had one DirecTV receiver that was not a TiVo. An HD STB I got in 2001. WHich I had to use to watch HD in realtime from DirecTV until the HD DirecTV TiVos came out in 2004. WHich is why most of my HD watching back then came from OTA which I recorded with a couple of HTPCs.

EDIT: I just noticed in your other post you mentioned it being an option. This never even registered with me. My only thought was that it would be a feature that could not be changed. I have no idea why that is what I have been thinking all this time, but that is what I was thinking until I read your latest post.

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-07-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
RSCHOON

I agree that this would be really nice to have as well. I just switched back to TiVo from Cablevision DVR where they had changed it so that it was all HD. Channel 2 and 702 were both HD (I will admit that I originally was annoyed with this because it caused me to waste a ton of space on the DVR with all HD shows, but now that I have so much space on my TiVo I don't care if it is all HD).

I actually wish that you could just alias all channels. Would be nice to just move them around to whatever I wanted.
RSCHOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #28
TivoQueensDad

Quote:

Totally agree with you. My Roamio came yesterday to replace my Cablevision "dumb" boxes that always show the HD equivalent channel (note - they don't switch from the user's perspective - the channel is HD if you're on an HD set). I wouldn't mind if it was a straight up conversion, ie 2 --> 702, 5 --> 705. Cablevision's lineup mostly follows an "add X" but often break it with Discovery 27 --> 765, HBO 82 --> 800, SHO 84 --> 820, Cinemax 85 --> 830, Encore 350 --> 816...

I spent Friday night downloading the Cablevision channel guide, putting it into a spreadsheet with column A the SD channel, column B the HD channel, column C HD channels with no SD equivalent, and column D music, etc (channels above 850). I then went to the channel guide and removed all SD channels that had HD equivalents.

It doesn't seem like it would be a lot of programming to have the box know the equivalent HD to the SD channels and have a setup checkup - "always record HD when available". With 450 hours to play with, I don't think I'll be worrying about filling my hard drive any time soon.

By the way - I realized I NEEDED to do this when I accidentally added in my season passes by accident in SD. I would have been really pissed when I sat down to watch the final 3 episodes of Dexter (In November as a family event with college kids home) only to discover that I recorded them in SD and returned my boxes that could watch Showtime On Demand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Toshiba RS-TX20 (Retired after Tivo abandoned software updates)

Tivo Roamio Pro (lifetime)
Tivo Mini (lifetime)
TivoQueensDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #29
Rkkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would hate for a STB to tune to a different channel than I select. If I enter channel 2 then that is the channel I want to go to. I wouldn't want it to go to something like 702. If I wanted to go to 702 then I would enter 702.

I'm glad the TiVos do not do this. I would hate this.

I would not use a feature like this.

I am with Comcast and it was channel 3, then it became 253, then when HD hit it is now 803. You just LEARN it.

Last edited by Rkkeller : 09-08-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #30
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I would not use a feature like this.

I am with Comcast and it was channel 3, then it became 253, then when HD hit it is now 803. You just LEARN it.
Gee thanks Rkkeller