TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
WO312

Local TWC Going All Digital

Got a letter today saying that on or about 10/8 TWC here is going all digital except for the local PBS station(s). While I will lose 1 channel from my old S2DT, overall I don't really care - I have plenty of other digital tuners available. What I would like to see is for them to get rid of the cursed tuning adapter. Anybody else have that happen when your TWC switched over?? Nothing is mentioned in the letter. Just "better picture and sound, more HD channels, and more robust internet speeds".
WO312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wish Charter would do this. We still have about 30 channels that are only available as analog, so I can't even tune them all on my new 6 tuner Roamio.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Got a letter today saying that on or about 10/8 TWC here is going all digital except for the local PBS station(s). While I will lose 1 channel from my old S2DT, overall I don't really care - I have plenty of other digital tuners available. What I would like to see is for them to get rid of the cursed tuning adapter. Anybody else have that happen when your TWC switched over?? Nothing is mentioned in the letter. Just "better picture and sound, more HD channels, and more robust internet speeds".
Just up the road from you we got a letter saying the PAX channel and the local government channel were going digital but PBS is not, but it didn't indicate that *all* of the other analog channels were going digital-only, so re-read your letter, just in case.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
MeInDallas

We went all digital here awhile back on TWC but alas we are still stuck with the dreaded tuning adapter. I doubt it will ever go away, I'm like you I wish it would. Sure would cure a lot of ills the Tivo goes thru.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
scole250

Received a letter just today that they're going all digital.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Just up the road from you we got a letter saying the PAX channel and the local government channel were going digital but PBS is not, but it didn't indicate that *all* of the other analog channels were going digital-only, so re-read your letter, just in case.
Admittedly the letter is poorly worded, but the first sentence says they are moving towards all digital. So whether it all happens now or soon the intent is clear.

And I still want to get rid of the TA. Probably won't happen.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
ncbill

Charter is analog-only up where our extended family has a mountain cabin.

Up there the lowest tier (channels 2-18) costs $30/month with the quality of a 3rd generation VHS transfer.

They've been pretty clear that in that market they'll be going digital in...don't hold your breath.

I've got to get an 8-bay UHF antenna up there to see if OTA would work instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I wish Charter would do this. We still have about 30 channels that are only available as analog, so I can't even tune them all on my new 6 tuner Roamio.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
herbman

I didn't get a letter, but I did some searching and it seems like WI is going all digital in 5 days.

We have a premiere on our main TV, but have had a Vizio TV in the kitchen directly connected, which at the moment tunes some analog and some digital channels. Curious what will happen to this, if the current clear analog channels will join the other clear digital channels this TV already tunes, or what.

They're offering free-for-a-year DTAs with no outlet fee, so I ordered one just in case my current setup stops working.

It is probably time to upgrade to a Roamio and a Mini!
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

If they go all digital they're allowed to encrypt them all, so your Vizio TV may no longer get anything at all.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If they go all digital they're allowed to encrypt them all, so your Vizio TV may no longer get anything at all.
My letter specifically says you can use a TV with a built-in digital cable tuner (QAM or ClearQAM) so it sounds like it will not be encrypted. Although they also mention educational access and government access. I'm not sure if that is the only stuff not encrypted or the only stuff being converted now. As I said earlier, VERY poorly worded letter.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

If they say you can use a ClearQAM TV then you may not lose anything. Although the channel numbers will probably change, so you'll probably have to do a rescan after the switch.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbman View Post
I didn't get a letter, but I did some searching and it seems like WI is going all digital in 5 days.
No, at least not the Milwaukee region. In Milwaukee, only the following channels are going digital:
WPXE (15)
WVCY (23)
WWRS (21)
WMLW (7)
LMN (65)
Golf Channel (28)
CNBC (47)
EWTN (97)
Weather Channel (64)
as well as all the educational, public access, and government access channels.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
herbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

No, at least not the Milwaukee region. In Milwaukee, only the following channels are going digital:
WPXE (15)
WVCY (23)
WWRS (21)
WMLW (7)
LMN (65)
Golf Channel (28)
CNBC (47)
EWTN (97)
Weather Channel (64)
as well as all the educational, public access, and government access channels.
Well that's good! Got my inlaws riled up over nothing. Still, the free DTA for a year will get me better programming than I have had on that tv if I decide to use it. Only a matter of time before I get a mini anyway.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote