TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Thumbs up keith olbermann on the sochi 2014 olympic games

last night, keith olbermann dedicated the opening of his new espn2 show "olbermann" to the 2014 sochi olympic games, russian anti-gay laws, the comparisons to the 1936 olympics (hitler), the potential for a boycott, the ioc's hypocrisy, putin's hypocrisy, the sponsor's fears, and russia's ignorance:

Will U.S. Boycott The Sochi 2014 Olympics?
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
last night, keith olbermann dedicated the opening of his new espn2 show "olbermann" to the 2014 sochi olympic games, russian anti-gay laws, the comparisons to the 1936 olympics (hitler), the potential for a boycott, the ioc's hypocrisy, putin's hypocrisy, the sponsor's fears, and russia's ignorance:

Will U.S. Boycott The Sochi 2014 Olympics?
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
So much for him being "non political" on his new show. I didn't see it, so I won't comment on the content, but I can pretty much imagine, from seeing Olbermann on MSNBC and your description above what he said.

He should give it up, we're not boycotting, and I'm not sure this warrants boycotting. China is far worse and we were there, using a recent example.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It was great. I'm not a sports fan but I stumbled on this by chance. Old Keith was back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I didn't see it, so I won't comment on the content ... He should give it up, we're not boycotting
You should've stayed with your first instinct and not commented. He didn't advocate a boycott. He presented both sides, and spent much of the time interviewing a gay olympian who was anti-boycott.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It was great. I'm not a sports fan but I stumbled on this by chance. Old Keith was back!

You should've stayed with your first instinct and not commented. He didn't advocate a boycott. He presented both sides, and spent much of the time interviewing a gay olympian who was anti-boycott.
Kudos for Keith then
Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
He should give it up, we're not boycotting, and I'm not sure this warrants boycotting. China is far worse and we were there, using a recent example.
I wouldn't advocate that the US should not send its athletes. But I personally won't watch any of it unless Russia changes its tune on the matter. And I know quite a few people who feel similarly, so sponsors should be worried. I'm not particularly against putting some pressures on sponsors, either. Not necessarily to minimize their involvement, but to ensure they acknowledge the problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I wouldn't advocate that the US should not send its athletes. But I personally won't watch any of it unless Russia changes its tune on the matter. And I know quite a few people who feel similarly, so sponsors should be worried. I'm not particularly against putting some pressures on sponsors, either. Not necessarily to minimize their involvement, but to ensure they acknowledge the problems.
Which of course is your right. I'm sure every country that has had the Olympics has some law or policy some group wouldn't agree with. China uses child labor for instance. And that includes us. If the Olympics were held in Utah, as they were some years ago, should it be boycotted because the state doesn't support gay marriage? Now, I WOULD have huge problems if the Russians didn't allow gay athletes to compete. Watching a recent special on Marty Glickman who was an American Jew who made the 1936 Olympic team, I have come to the conclusion that is where I'd draw the line. Glickman and another Jewish athlete was about to run on a US relay team that was SO much better than any other team that they would have won the gold unless someone fell. So TWO Jewish athletes would have been standing on the Gold Medal stand in Hitler's Germany. At the last minute, the USOC struck a deal with Hitler to not allow them to run. If something like that happened in Russia, I'd pull us out.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Bob Coxner

Keith talked a lot about sponsors. That's actually the way to make a bigger impact than boycotting the games themselves. Put pressure on sponsors and they'll often cave. That hurts the phony baloney IOC in the wallet and may make them think twice the next time they award the games.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
He should give it up, we're not boycotting...
next time, watch the clip before commenting, keith never advocated a boycott.
Quote:
So much for him being "non political" on his new show.
actually, from an interview he gave to one magazine, it turns out his new contract with espn gives him the leeway to discuss any topic he chooses on his new show. they didn't want to restrict his talent.

given the tendancy of other sportscasters to preach their religious views during their shows, it doesn't surprise me keith has the same guidelines. however; i never like a sportscaster assuming i believe the same as they do, or preaching to me like it's sunday morning, and think it should be reason for dismissal. if they can say what they want, why not keith?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
next time, watch the clip before commenting, keith never advocated a boycott.
I only said that based on how you listed what he talked about. My assumption was bad, obviously.

Quote:
actually, from an interview he gave to one magazine, it turns out his new contract with espn gives him the leeway to discuss any topic he chooses on his new show. they didn't want to restrict his talent.

given the tendancy of other sportscasters to preach their religious views during their shows, it doesn't surprise me keith has the same guidelines. however; i never like a sportscaster assuming i believe the same as they do, or preaching to me like it's sunday morning, and think it should be reason for dismissal. if they can say what they want, why not keith?
I had thought that I read that he was asked to stay away from politically charged topics. I'm trying to remember a sportscaster who preached his/her religious views? I can't think of one. Political and current events, yeah, but not religious. And I'm fine with that. They are people too. For whatever the reason, they have been given a pulpit. Athletes, actors, musicians, TV Show hosts all have views and that's not going to change. I think it's actually gutless if a famous person is asked a question about their view on something and they ignore it or make a PC comment.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Olbermann has said, though, that he's really moved on from political punditry and isn't interested in it anymore. I believe him. This does not mean he's a different person now, and so I have every expectation that he'll wander into those waters when the sports story takes him there, and then he'll have opinions. But I have no expectation that this show will turn into a backdoor progressive punditry broadcast. It's about sports. But sports and politics do intersect at times.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I only said that based on how you listed what he talked about. My assumption was bad, obviously.
your assumption was bad about my presentation, too - i don't advocate a boycott, either. it wouldn't be fair to the athletes who have trained for years, and would allow russia to win many more medals than they would otherwise. that doesn't mean i agree with the draconian laws that were recently passed. i will wait for events to unfold before making a decision to watch.

Quote:
I'm trying to remember a sportscaster who preached his/her religious views? I can't think of one. Political and current events, yeah, but not religious. And I'm fine with that. They are people too. For whatever the reason, they have been given a pulpit. Athletes, actors, musicians, TV Show hosts all have views and that's not going to change. I think it's actually gutless if a famous person is asked a question about their view on something and they ignore it or make a PC comment.
read and watch here:
http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/0...jason-collins/

Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Yes, I do remember that now, although I never saw it. Only heard about it anecdotally. But I do think, for the most part, sportscasters, at least national ones, stay away from religion. Politics, is a whole different ballgame, pardon the pun, especially among sports pundits (more than game broadcasters). And I think it's mostly because politics straddle sports quite often these days.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Keith has been *great* so far on the Deuce.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Keith has been *great* so far on the Deuce.
Indeed, though they should've held the premiere till the week after the US Open. Nothing like a total lack of time slot consistency in that first week to really piss people off.