TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

the newsroom 9/8/2013 "election night, part 1" [spoilers]

this was another enjoyable ep, although short, and of course became really interesting right as it ended, tbc.

i can't imagine don libeling jerry during a reference check, he's too smart, even with unresolved anger over genoa. the set up by jerry that triggered the call was believable enough.

the party scene with charlie, reese and becca was my favorite, and when reese recalled his conversation with leona - too much!

the prediction room and botched on-air tour by elliot, a la cnn, was spot on, the only thing missing was anderson cooper. sorkin might have plagerized cnn's live election night coverage.

i can't believe next week is the end of the season, it went by quickly.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
smak
TV MA SLV

It's weird that they are making a 2 part end of seasoner about a night so free of any kind of drama.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
It's weird that they are making a 2 part end of seasoner about a night so free of any kind of drama.
But of course that's not what it's about.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
this was another enjoyable ep, although short, and of course became really interesting right as it ended, tbc.

i can't believe next week is the end of the season, it went by quickly.
I had to hit the play button when it ended, to see the play time, only 48 minutes. Really? Sorkin couldn't come up with 5-8 more minutes of walkie talkie?

It has been a good season, especially towards the end, when the story rose in prominence over the romance/drama, which is AS's writing weak spot.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone with Will's ego would be pushing to resign. Yeah, in a "tv series" fictional world, these guys have such "integrity". In the real world? I doubt that would happen to someone with such a high profile as Will. I know Dan Rather resigned after the botched CBS story, but I think he we fired. I don't think he pushed for his own resignation. So that whole thing kind of bugs me.

Leona's son is such a weasel. I think he might be my favorite character this season. On the other hand, the character played by Marcia Gay Harden annoys the crap out of me.

Favorite scene....Sloan "outting" the Genoa story during the argument on the air.

I think I liked the first season better than this season, but still an enjoyable show.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I had to hit the play button when it ended, to see the play time, only 48 minutes. Really? Sorkin couldn't come up with 5-8 more minutes of walkie talkie?
Or he came up with another 48 minutes worth.

It's a nine-episode season, which is not at all a typical number. My hunch is it was originally going to be eight, and they expanded this one into two.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
the prediction room and botched on-air tour by elliot, a la cnn, was spot on, the only thing missing was anderson cooper. sorkin might have plagerized cnn's live election night coverage.
CNN? I thought that was from Fox.

Karl Rove vs. FOX election decision room
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Was there something similar on CNN as well?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker

Charlie's "WTF!!?" had me in tears.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Charlie's "WTF!!?" had me in tears.
I couldn't make out what he was screaming so I replayed the end with captioning on. Now that I think about it the caption had the F word in it.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
CNN? I thought that was from Fox.
i might have remembered incorrectly...the "cube" on cnn had clear walls, with anderson cooper:

How CNN projected Ohio win on Super Tuesday
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
aindik

Why is there a national media uproar about Genoa just now? In other words, why hasn't there been one for the past two months?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Why is there a national media uproar about Genoa just now? In other words, why hasn't there been one for the past two months?
I think there has been, and ACN has been under a lot of scrutiny. What they are worried about now is the lawsuit being filed and entering the public record and giving all the other media outlets, who have been covering the ACN/Genoa story this whole time, a huge look at what's been going on "behind the curtain" at ACN, and having the story get a huge embarrassing infusion of fuel.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
aindik

I suppose. But the crux of the story is they accused the nation of war crimes in a story that turned out to be false. This happened two months ago. Why is Charlie screaming about losing the public trust only now, like it's new?

He used the angry mob with pitch forks analogy, like they're going to show up tomorrow for the first time.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
What they are worried about now is the lawsuit being filed and entering the public record and giving all the other media outlets...a huge look at what's been going on "behind the curtain" at ACN...
that's the danger of not settling the suit...think paula deen. the scope of the investigation surrounding the suit has been so broad, they're risking all of their dirty laundry being aired during filing, depositions, and the trial...personal relationships, other "accidents", etc.

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 09-12-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
aindik

Quote:
that's the danger of not settling the suit...think paula deen. the scope of the investigation surrounding the suit has been so broad, they're risking all of their dirtly laundry being aired during the trial...personal relationships, other "accidents", etc.
He's not talking about a trial. He's concentrating completely on what's going to happen tomorrow, the day the complaint is filed.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I couldn't make out what he was screaming so I replayed the end with captioning on. Now that I think about it the caption had the F word in it.
Same here!! I rewound it twice and finally just gave up. Didn't think of CC
Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Same here!! I rewound it twice and finally just gave up. Didn't think of CC
I think Charlie was thinking that after Genoa ACN would really have their backsides out if they broke the Petraeus story and it was wrong.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
busyba
The Funcooker

I found the conversation between Mac and Will about Mac wondering how Will was going to punish her "this time" this time for Genoa after his having punished her for cheating on him before to be a little odd.

Will protested that "I never punished you", except in the previous season, he explicitly admitted that he was.

At least if there were more than one writer on the show, it could be waved away as an honest mistake.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
TonyD79

Quote:
I found the conversation between Mac and Will about Mac wondering how Will was going to punish her "this time" this time for Genoa after his having punished her for cheating on him before to be a little odd.

Will protested that "I never punished you", except in the previous season, he explicitly admitted that he was.

At least if there were more than one writer on the show, it could be waved away as an honest mistake.
Hmm. Why was it a mistake? Maybe he lied. Either time. Maybe he reexamined and decided he didn't punish her. Maybe he forgot how he felt a year ago. That is not a continuity error. That is a character making conflicting comments. Like people often do.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:

that exchange left us hanging. will and mac had an exchange last season about his punishing her by hiring wade for the exposé. i'm hoping this will settle their back and forth over the breakup and allow both characters to move on.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

The whole Will/Mac things needs to be settled and over. I'm tired of it. I never felt there was a spark between them and I still can't see them together.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The whole Will/Mac things needs to be settled and over. I'm tired of it. I never felt there was a spark between them and I still can't see them together.
Good luck with that. Almost every show (and Sorkin is big on this) has one of those non-relationships. Lets just hope they don't do the off/on/off again thing that pretty much only Cheers and Friends ever pulled off.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Good luck with that. Almost every show (and Sorkin is big on this) has one of those non-relationships. Lets just hope they don't do the off/on/off again thing that pretty much only Cheers and Friends ever pulled off.
Maybe that's a problem with his writing, but he has a hard time making it believable that these two ever were in a relationship that was anything more than a one night stand. There's absolutely NO spark between Will and Mac. Maybe it's just the way he writes his dialogue, with little heartfelt type emotion. Or it's the way the actors are being directed to read.

I watched a little of Sports Night last night on FXX and there was a scene between Jeremy and Natalie where they are bantering back and forth on whether Jeremy actually broke up with Natalie. For some reason, those two, I always felt had a spark. Maybe it was just acted better. I don't know.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
TonyD79

Quote:

Maybe that's a problem with his writing, but he has a hard time making it believable that these two ever were in a relationship that was anything more than a one night stand. There's absolutely NO spark between Will and Mac. Maybe it's just the way he writes his dialogue, with little heartfelt type emotion. Or it's the way the actors are being directed to read.

I watched a little of Sports Night last night on FXX and there was a scene between Jeremy and Natalie where they are bantering back and forth on whether Jeremy actually broke up with Natalie. For some reason, those two, I always felt had a spark. Maybe it was just acted better. I don't know.
A lot of chemistry is in the actors themselves. No matter how you write it, they have to convey it. I don't see any romantic chemistry between Will and Mac.

Of course, maybe that works. They did fail.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
A lot of chemistry is in the actors themselves. No matter how you write it, they have to convey it. I don't see any romantic chemistry between Will and Mac.

Of course, maybe that works. They did fail.
They did fail true, but they do seem to be pining for each other, at least that's what they are trying to portray ultimately, right? I just don't see it. Honestly, if they stuck to the storyline about making a news show and stayed away from that silly subplot it would be a better show.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
TonyD79

Quote:

They did fail true, but they do seem to be pining for each other, at least that's what they are trying to portray ultimately, right? I just don't see it. Honestly, if they stuck to the storyline about making a news show and stayed away from that silly subplot it would be a better show.
Not sure if they are pining for each other or trying to find c'mon ground as friends. If the former, doesn't work at all. If the latter, it is working pretty well. They do respect each other a lot as people and professionals. The struggle to rise above their hurt feelings (or imagined hurt feelings) is good. I'd hope that is what he is going for. Maybe not.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Or he came up with another 48 minutes worth.

It's a nine-episode season, which is not at all a typical number. My hunch is it was originally going to be eight, and they expanded this one into two.
Nope it was supposed to be 10 but Sorkin wasn't happy with the first few eps and recut them.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote