TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Archbid

Back after 5 years, and so is the "Welcome! Starting up..." frozen screen

So I bought the Roamio today, my first new TiVo since the original model (14 years ago?). Totally thrilled to be back in Tivoland!

Except now it is frozen in restart with the "Welcome! Starting up..." screen. Holy cow, that is the same screen that froze 6 years ago on my old Tivo when I finally gave up. Do you mean to tell me that they have not been able to get a robust startup in place over 5 years!

Would love any advice. It is frozen. I installed it today, connected to Comcast with a CableCard, and it would not recognize the service. Called Comcast to activate the card, which they claim to have done. Rebooted the machine and I am now in frozen-land.

Any help appreciated.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Archbid

Turned it off for 15 minutes, removed Ethernet, then plugged back in. Works now.

I still can't believe this issue has stayed for so many years. Seriously. Same problem.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
Turned it off for 15 minutes, removed Ethernet, then plugged back in. Works now.

I still can't believe this issue has stayed for so many years. Seriously. Same problem.
Maybe Tivo is giving you a hard time for abandoning it. Now that you're back, all is forgiven.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
AdamNJ

Quote:

After it booted, did you plug the ethernet cable back in, did updates, rebooted just fine? Or did you use wifi to get updates? I had my wired network plugged in when i booted the first time on my Pro w/o issue.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Archbid

TiVo totally dead. Two days in. I start it, shows welcome then my monItor goes blank. Won't recognize any of 3 cablecards. Seriously, this is the biggest piece of s*** I have ever purchased.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
TC25D

Quote:
TiVo totally dead. Two days in. I start it, shows welcome then my monItor goes blank. Won't recognize any of 3 cablecards. Seriously, this is the biggest piece of s*** I have ever purchased.
Time to return it and buy something else. Good luck.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
So return it and get another one. Every device ever made has a certain failure rate. A cetain percentage of any device will be DOA or fail shortly after put into use. unfortunately you got one of those. Like any electronic device, the vast majority of them will not fail like that.

When this happens you just exchange it for another one.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Rkkeller

Quote:

When I first installed my Roamio, I got a starting up screen for a few minutes, then it went black about 3-4 minutes while it was formatting the HD and downloading a software update. Then I got a installing update do not turn off, then it did a couple other things.

If you get another one, hook it up and let it go, don't even touch it for 10-15 minutes. Let it do it's thing as the initial start up takes time.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
jmr50

Quote:
You've lived a blessed life. Good luck finding some of the really epic turds out there then. I suggest you hit the Microsoft Store after you return this one. Ask about anything "RT"
jmr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
aristoBrat

Quote:
My Roamio Pro had the same issue with being stuck on the "Starting up..." screen, like yours did, and also died shortly later.

Since 2001, I've owned a Series 1, three DirectTV Series 2, two Series 3 OLED, two Premieres, one Premiere 4 XL, and now a Roamio Pro and three Minis.

The only one to ever get stuck on the "Starting up..." screen was the Pro.

Sorry about your luck.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote