TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
woodman750

Tivo with MoCa Home Network

I have a Roamio Pro with 3 Minis connected using MoCA. I currently use wifi for home networking, but have dead spot issues that I am trying to resolve. Using wifi repeaters and powerline adapters haven't proved reliable. So I'm thinking about trying a MoCA adapter with wireless MoCA bridges.

Does anyone know if a separate home network MoCA would interfere with the TiVo MoCA connections? The TiVo Minis currently function flawlessly, so I don't want to do anything that would disturb that.

woodman750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
convergent

MoCA is compatible, so if you add additional MoCA gear its all joining into one big MoCA network. I have just what you described.

I just installed a Roamio and 2 Minis this week. I already had 3 MoCA adapters in the house to provide ethernet to two locations that I couldn't get to from where the cable modem is located. I have an Apple Airport Extreme collocated at the cable modem, and added Airport Express at one of the MoCA adapters to extend my wifi network. I have switches at each of the two MoCA adapters as well. The Roamio and one Mini I connected to those switches, and the other one is connected via coax. It all "just works".

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
woodman750

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
MoCA is compatible, so if you add additional MoCA gear its all joining into one big MoCA network. I have just what you described.

I just installed a Roamio and 2 Minis this week. I already had 3 MoCA adapters in the house to provide ethernet to two locations that I couldn't get to from where the cable modem is located. I have an Apple Airport Extreme collocated at the cable modem, and added Airport Express at one of the MoCA adapters to extend my wifi network. I have switches at each of the two MoCA adapters as well. The Roamio and one Mini I connected to those switches, and the other one is connected via coax. It all "just works".
From my extremely limited knowledge, I thought that MoCA requires an adapter located at the router, and MoCA extenders for the remote locations. In your setup, is the Roamio functioning as the adapter for the extenders (thus eliminating the need to buy a separate adapter)?

Old 07-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
convergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman750 View Post
From my extremely limited knowledge, I thought that MoCA requires an adapter located at the router, and MoCA extenders for the remote locations. In your setup, is the Roamio functioning as the adapter for the extenders (thus eliminating the need to buy a separate adapter)?
Yes, you'd need to add an extra MoCA adapter to do what I'm doing. I do believe you can use the Roamio as a bridge though if you connect it to your network... it would be able to bridge to the Mini's via MoCA. I am not positive of that, but sure others will confirm here.

This is my current setup:

Wiring Closet:
- DLink Cable Modem
- Apple Airport Extreme
- Dell Gigabit Switch
- ActionTec MoCA Adapter
- QNAP NAS, Netgear NAS, HP Printer, Vonage, etc.

Bonus Room:
- ActionTec MoCA Adapter
- DLink Gigabit Switch
- Tivo Roamio (via switch)
- Apple Airport Express (using as Wifi Extender)
- Sony BluRay Player, Apple TV, Dell Laptop, Apple Mac Mini, other home office gear

Family Room (above fireplace, not easy to change wiring):
- ActionTec MoCA Adapter
- DLink Gigabit Switch
- Tivo Mini (via switch)
- Sony BluRay Player, Apple TV, etc.

Master Bedroom:
- Tivo Mini (via coax - MoCA)

Last edited by convergent; 07-28-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
woodman750

Quote:
Yes, you'd need to add an extra MoCA adapter to do what I'm doing. I do believe you can use the Roamio as a bridge though if you connect it to your network... it would be able to bridge to the Mini's via MoCA. I am not positive of that, but sure others will confirm here.

This is my current setup:

Wiring Closet:
- DLink Cable Modem
- Apple Airport Extreme
- Dell Gigabit Switch
- ActionTec MoCA Adapter
- QNAP NAS, Netgear NAS, HP Printer, Vonage, etc.

Bonus Room:
- ActionTec MoCA Adapter
- DLink Gigabit Switch
- Tivo Roamio (via switch)
- Apple Airport Express (using as Wifi Extender)
- Sony BluRay Player, Apple TV, Dell Laptop, Apple Mac Mini, other home office gear

Family Room (above fireplace, not easy to change wiring):
- ActionTec MoCA Adapter
- DLink Gigabit Switch
- Tivo Mini (via switch)
- Sony BluRay Player, Apple TV, etc.

Master Bedroom:
- Tivo Mini (via coax - MoCA)
Thanks - that's a much clearer picture. The MoCA adapter in the wiring closet is what I thought was missing in the first post.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
convergent

Quote:
Thanks - that's a much clearer picture. The MoCA adapter in the wiring closet is what I thought was missing in the first post.
I've been very impressed with MoCA. Its one of the few things I've done over the years with technology that is just "plug and play". Other than a minor problem I had with putting it on the wrong side of an amplifier when we lived in a different house, they've worked flawlessly and seem to give decent performance to the point of my not every thinking about pulling CAT5e and ripping apart walls.

That said, now that I'm working from my home office, I am going to relocate the NAS boxes and printer from the wiring closet to the bonus room. I'm tired of walking up and down the stairs for printing, and the bigger deal is the lack of true gigabit to the NAS. I do a lot of photo editing and keep my photo originals on the NAS and MoCA is not sufficient for that. I just hate to deal with the space and noise of all that stuff cluttering the bonus room.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
dahacker

Quote:
No No No. Your Roamio Pro IS the bridge between Ethernet and MoCA in your setup assuming your Roamio Pro isn't using wireless. You don't need an additional adapter at the router.

You just need a MoCA to wireless bridge setup of some sort where you have the dead spot. This could be a separate MoCA adapter connected to a basic wireless router/AP or even a true MoCA to wireless bridge.

dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
convergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
No No No. Your Roamio Pro IS the bridge between Ethernet and MoCA in your setup assuming your Roamio Pro isn't using wireless. You don't need an additional adapter at the router.

You just need a MoCA to wireless bridge setup of some sort where you have the dead spot. This could be a separate MoCA adapter connected to a basic wireless router/AP or even a true MoCA to wireless bridge.
I understand what you are saying, but in order to be a bridge the Roamio would have to be able to connect to the cable modem or router by ethernet cable; and connect to the coax for MoCA to the Minis wouldn't it? In my case, I'd have to put the Roamio in a wiring closet and buy another Mini for the TV its currently being used on. What you described would work if you could collocate the cable modem and Roamio; or at least be able to run CAT5e cable between the Roamio and cable modem/router location.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
woodman750

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but in order to be a bridge the Roamio would have to be able to connect to the cable modem or router by ethernet cable; and connect to the coax for MoCA to the Minis wouldn't it? In my case, I'd have to put the Roamio in a wiring closet and buy another Mini for the TV its currently being used on. What you described would work if you could collocate the cable modem and Roamio; or at least be able to run CAT5e cable between the Roamio and cable modem/router location.
Thanks guys. My Roamio is next to my router. So if I understand both of you correctly, I should only need to add a MoCA adapter to the dead spot - i.e only one piece of equipment to buy.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
UCLABB

Quote:
Thanks guys. My Roamio is next to my router. So if I understand both of you correctly, I should only need to add a MoCA adapter to the dead spot - i.e only one piece of equipment to buy.
What do you mean by "dead spot"? Your Roamio Pro will set up the Moca as it can connect to your router. The Minis are Moca enabled so they will work without any additional equipment. Are you talking about some other equipment that needs internet access?

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
woodman750

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
What do you mean by "dead spot"? Your Roamio Pro will set up the Moca as it can connect to your router. The Minis are Moca enabled so they will work without any additional equipment. Are you talking about some other equipment that needs internet access?
The dead spots are in my home wifi network - nothing to do with Tivo and MoCA network with the Minis. The original post questions whether using MoCA to extend my home network for other devices (i.e. computers, tablets, etc) would interfere with communication among the Roamio and Minis. I believe Mike and dahacker have provided the solution.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:12 AM   #12
dahacker

Quote:
Exactly.

dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: