TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
GCS2000

Netflix & Amazon interface laggy ... playback is fine though

New Roamio user here and I have noticed that Netflix, Amazon, and especially Plex are very laggy when going through the menus and selections. Playback is just fine no issues.

Is this normal, any way to fix or speed it up?

GCS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM   #2
convergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS2000 View Post
New Roamio user here and I have noticed that Netflix, Amazon, and especially Plex are very laggy when going through the menus and selections. Playback is just fine no issues.

Is this normal, any way to fix or speed it up?
I'm a new Roamio user too, and I haven't noticed it being what I'd call laggy. It does take a few seconds for it to load initially... and the little spinning wheel stops spinning for a few seconds, but once its loaded its seems to work fine. Can you describe more what you mean by laggy?

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #3
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Laggy interfaces for Netflix and Amazon are not normal in my experience.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #4
Beryl

I've never has consistently good experience with any streaming on my Roamio Plus. I continue to use a Roku instead.

Beryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

I concur the Roku 3 has a very fast streaming interface and I use it for Pandora and some services, but Amazon 1080/p24 is instant on the Roamio and not possible on the Roku. It looks good, but not as good. Good thing we have choices.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #6
GCS2000

By laggy I should say that when I move the "selection box" around on the screen it takes about 2 seconds to move to each choice. Moving from category to category is very slow. Roku and Fire TV are instantaneous. Speed limit wise Roku/Fire are going at 100MPH, Roamio at 10MPH. I am coming from Roku/Fire so this is pretty annoying and seems wrong.

Streaming quality is superb and I have no complaints about that part of it just navigating around stinks.

Plex navigation is very slow as well. Playback is fine other than the limitations that are there (720p 2 channel audio etc).

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #7
convergent

Quote:
By laggy I should say that when I move the "selection box" around on the screen it takes about 2 seconds to move to each choice. Moving from category to category is very slow. Roku and Fire TV are instantaneous. Speed limit wise Roku/Fire are going at 100MPH, Roamio at 10MPH. I am coming from Roku/Fire so this is pretty annoying and seems wrong.

Streaming quality is superb and I have no complaints about that part of it just navigating around stinks.

Plex navigation is very slow as well. Playback is fine other than the limitations that are there (720p 2 channel audio etc).
I don't believe I'm seeing that kind of delay, but only been using it for a few days. The only "lag" I see is that it takes a while for it to load up initially, but then seems to move around fine once in the Amazon app.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #8
JoeKustra
Cable only

I'll second that. Once the Amazon app is loaded, navigation is instant on a screen and maybe a slight hesitation changing categories.

The delay is about the same I see when in TiVo Central: none. Perhaps it's related to output resolution or .....

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #9
GCS2000

Guess I need to shoot some video to show my issue but it seems very slow to me.

Resolution I believe is 720p I think? My TV supports all resolutions and the TIVO unit is marked as such.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #10
nickg420

I'm having an issue where my Amazon App will say that episodes are not available but if you actually load the Amazon App they are...

Anyone know how to fix that? Sorry in advance for Hi-Jacking the thread?

nickg420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #11
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg420 View Post
I'm having an issue where my Amazon App will say that episodes are not available but if you actually load the Amazon App they are...

I think you get that if the programs are not Prime but are for sale, and your 1P is not set to streaming or buy. Check the Channels for Video Providers and be sure only what you pay for is checked.

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #12
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Guess I need to shoot some video to show my issue but it seems very slow to me.

Resolution I believe is 720p I think? My TV supports all resolutions and the TIVO unit is marked as such.
We could start a whole thread on this (again) but I would try just 1080i, 1080p pass thought only and see how it looks. If you have a really great TV you can let it do the upscaling. Try it all ways. Some like 1080/p60 only. Whatever works for you.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #13
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg420 View Post

Do you mean the One Pass will not show available episodes, but the Amazon app does? If so, then yes, which is why I no longer use One Passes for streaming content.

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #14
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:

I do not see that on my Roamio. The Amazon app is snappier than on any of my BD players or my Roku stick. The Netflix app is snappier than those as well as my AppleTV 1080p edition. I don't use Plex, so I cannot comment on that.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #15
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
Do you mean the One Pass will not show available episodes, but the Amazon app does? If so, then yes, which is why I no longer use One Passes for streaming content.
It depends where you look and your options for the 1P. The To Do List shows what you could get from you selected providers with the options you selected. The Upcoming does not include the streaming episodes if your 1P is set to Recordings Only. The "not available" is shown when it's not free and you only have Prime selected. You get the idea.