TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
dlgamble
Double Naught Spy

Drive upgrade recomendations.

I am considering upgrading my Roamio Plus to 3 TB. I can get an av-gp drive (WD30EURX) or the Red (WD30EFRX) for about the same price. Which do you recommend or does it matter?

Thanks.

dlgamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
idksmy

You might want to check the Tivo Upgrade Center forum. Lots of good information about drives, as well as all the steps you need to follow for upgrading your Tivo.

idksmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
zerdian1
Roamio PRO, Roamio,

WeaKnees has some good options

I got a WeaKnees 12TB Roamio Pro last year, and I love it.
It was added to my other Amazon TiVo 4TB Roamio Pro and my Amazon TiVo 1.5TB Roamio Basic and 2 Amazon TiVo Minis.
The WeaKnees upgrades have worked flawlessly with nearly constant use and is currently 70% full.
I am an Electrical Engineer and have done a lot of upgrading by myself in the past, but WeaKnees was a good option.
After a year, I am still happy with the decision.
I can not say that about everything I bought.

I will probably be putting my TiVo on an UPS battery as I live on an island on the ocean and we seems to have a lot of power fluctuations that cause the TiVo to recycle.
I currently have my Modem, Cell Phone Mini Tower and Airport Router on an UPS system. That has worked well.

Worked on NASA Moon Landings
Retired Chief Scientist
zerdian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerdian1 View Post
I got a WeaKnees 12TB Roamio Pro last year, and I love it.
It was added to my other Amazon TiVo 4TB Roamio Pro and my Amazon TiVo 1.5TB Roamio Basic and 2 Amazon TiVo Minis.
The WeaKnees upgrades have worked flawlessly with nearly constant use and is currently 70% full.
I am an Electrical Engineer and have done a lot of upgrading by myself in the past, but WeaKnees was a good option.
After a year, I am still happy with the decision.
I can not say that about everything I bought.

I will probably be putting my TiVo on an UPS battery as I live on an island on the ocean and we seems to have a lot of power fluctuations that cause the TiVo to recycle.
I currently have my Modem, Cell Phone Mini Tower and Airport Router on an UPS system. That has worked well.

Holy cow! You have almost 10tb recorded on those drives! If one of those drives (I assume one is an external) gives up the ghost, you are going to lose a helluva lot of content. Good luck!

UCLABB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerdian1 View Post
that cause the TiVo to recycle.
I hate it when my TiVo won't recycle. I even moving the bin closer but that doesn't seem to help. ;->

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgamble View Post
I am considering upgrading my Roamio Plus to 3 TB. I can get an av-gp drive (WD30EURX) or the Red (WD30EFRX) for about the same price. Which do you recommend or does it matter?

Thanks.
I have a WD30EURX in a basic Roamio. Only issue: MBT has risen 3C. I put a 1TB version into a different basic Roamio and the MBT dropped 3C.

Red seems more popular now.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 AM   #7
tivoyahoo

same question but 4TB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoyahoo View Post
between WD40EURX and WD40EFRX if they were priced the same, which is better choice for tivo?
answered here:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...1#post10970561

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Between those two drives I'd normally say "whatever's on sale that week", but if they were priced the same the AV Green would probably edge out the Red simply because TiVo uses that line. OTOH, the Green line seems to be merging into the Blue line and I don't know what they might send you if you RMA a bad drive under warranty. Either one is an excellent choice.

Testing the crap out of any drive before using it is way more important than the microscopic differences between those two drives.

tivoyahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
dlgamble
Double Naught Spy

Thanks for the replies. My decision has been made for me. The deal on the av-gp went away. Newegg has the red for $109. There is also a promo code for an additional $10.90 off. In the end, the red drive was $98.10. I couldn't pass that deal up.

dlgamble is offline   Reply With Quote