TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
steetyj

FiOS question: setup and my own router

I am having FiOS installed in a couple weeks.

Currently have Comcast and a roamio. So I will be swapping my cablecard out for the Verizon equivalent they supply.

As I understand it, Verizon will install an ONT in my home. I would like to avoid having to rent their router as I own my own Archer C7.

Will I be able to have the install tech hook my C7 to the ONT and the cable card up via coax?

Or is this setup not possible?

steetyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
thyname

The Verizon tech will not install the CableCard to your Roamio. As strange as it sounds, you will have to call and do this yourself. Follow the instructions on the TiVo once you repeat the guided set up for Verizon. Better yet, if you ordered the CableCard, it will come with an activation code to activate and pair online, better option than with a telephone CSR.

They are more lenient with the routers

thyname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
steetyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
The Verizon tech will not install the CableCard to your Roamio. As strange as it sounds, you will have to call and do this yourself. Follow the instructions on the TiVo once you repeat the guided set up for Verizon. Better yet, if you ordered the CableCard, it will come with an activation code to activate and pair online, better option than with a telephone CSR.

Ok. Good to know. No problem installing myself. I just want to confirm I can use my own router along with a cablecard to avoid renting their equipment.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
thyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by steetyj View Post
Ok. Good to know. No problem installing myself. I just want to confirm I can use my own router along with a cablecard to avoid renting their equipment.
Yes. I am using TiVo with their CableCard and no Verizon STB.

I bought my own Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100 router through Craigslist to avoid their $10/month rental fee. I found this router with MoCa built in good enough for my needs, plus it is supported by Verizon in case there are issues.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
steetyj

Quote:
Yes. I am using TiVo with their CableCard and no Verizon STB.

I bought my own Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100 router through Craigslist to avoid their $10/month rental fee. I found this router with MoCa built in good enough for my needs, plus it is supported by Verizon in case there are issues.
Ok, thanks that makes sense.

Still wondering if I can use my existing C7 router or if I will need to buy/rent their gateway for it to work. From what I understand, I could hook my router up to the ONT via Ethernet...but will the coax ONT output +cablecard connection still work?

If I have to buy a Verizon gateway, I will, but id rather just use the router I already have.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
thyname

Quote:
Ok, thanks that makes sense.

Still wondering if I can use my existing C7 router or if I will need to buy/rent their gateway for it to work. From what I understand, I could hook my router up to the ONT via Ethernet...but will the coax ONT output +cablecard connection still work?

If I have to buy a Verizon gateway, I will, but id rather just use the router I already have.
You still need the coax run to the TiVo for the guide data. So, ideally Ethernet from ONT to your router, and coax from ONT to the TiVo . You will also need to connect the TiVo to the Internet, preferably wired either MoCa or Ethernet

Old 08-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
krkaufman

Quote:
You will also need to connect the TiVo to the Internet, preferably wired either MoCa or Ethernet
Though wireless connectivity for your TiVo DVR is perfectly acceptable and is officially supported by TiVo... UNTIL you begin adding TiVo Minis.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
fcfc2

Quote:

Currently have Comcast and a roamio. So I will be swapping my cablecard out for the Verizon equivalent they supply.

As I understand it, Verizon will install an ONT in my home. I would like to avoid having to rent their router as I own my own Archer C7.

Will I be able to have the install tech hook my C7 to the ONT and the cable card up via coax?

Hi,
A couple of things. You do not mention what speed tier you are getting. The lowest speed tiers ordinarily come with a coax install, i.e., 75/75 is the break point, although I have seen reports of getting a default Ethernet and coax install at the 75/75 level too. Anything higher will have both runs for certain. Usually if on the lowest speed tiers, either you will have to run your own Ethernet to the ONT or possibly pay extra to get it run by the Fios people.
In any case with Ethernet you can use the router of your choice so long as you are not using any Fios TV equipment. The downside to not having a Fios router handy is that without one installed any problems you have are likely to be referred to a service call automatically, i.e, wait for a truck roll.
One nice feature of the Fios routers is the builtin MoCA LAN, which is handy for your Tivos, there are also some fairly idiot proof wireless "network extenders" (really MoCA based wireless AP's) that are very easy to setup and usually will give you your full speed tier without issue.
Older Actiontec W1424WR routers Rev F-I are MoCA 1.1 and can be configured as MoCA bridges with or without the wireless enabled and are pretty inexpensive off of Ebay.
Highly tech types don't like the newest G1100 gateway router but unless your needs require something special, the G1100, dual band, MoCA 2.0, and AC rated does an ok job. If you are thinking of getting one the prices on non-Fios sources are better, i.e., Ebay or even Amazon sometimes.
You will not have VOD on Fios like with Comcast, but picture quality is generally very good.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
jonw747

Quote:

Last I knew Verizon would only support their own router, so, if you have any sort of a service problem ... you'd need to set one up. Also their router supplies MOCA which is handy.

It was simply a phone call to get them to activate the Ethernet port on the ONT. I run that to my own router and I then re-purposed their ActionTec to provide MOCA on the Cable. If necessary I could swap things around.

I don't miss my old Verizon DVR which required all sorts of ridiculous port forwarding rules to work. TiVo is much simpler from a networking POV.

jonw747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
drkmstr

Quote:

When I had my FIOS installed one year ago this is how it went for me. I told the tech I wanted to use my own wireless router. He hooked me up the ONT via ethernet direct. Verizon had all ready sent me the cable card a few days before the tech came. I had all ready installed in my TIVO. The tech had me power everything up and he made all the phone calls necessary to get the card paired and then we checked channels to make sure everything worked right. This tech was very easy to work with and was very well versed in cable cards.

drkmstr is offline   Reply With Quote