TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
The18thLetter

Copy shows from Roamio to Mac

Hello,

My cable box is a TiVo Roamio (I think) leased to me by my cable company, Atlantic Broadband in Miami Beach. I have the TiVo iOS app to download shows to my iPad and iPhone, but I'm curious: is there a way to download shows to my Mac? Would be nice for my wife to be able to use her MacBook to watch shows when we travel, instead of sharing my iPad or using her iPhone.

I came across a couple of apps on the web like cTiVo and Kmttg, but those are 3rd party solutions. Are those the only ones available, or does TiVo provide a first-party solution I'm unaware of?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

The18thLetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
mattack

No, Tivo has not provided a first party solution, ever. (For the Mac..) IIRC, there was SOME form of "Tivo Desktop" for the Mac, but I think it was only to stream music to the tivo or somesuch.. Nowhere NEAR as many functions as are free for Windows.

The "official" solution is an older version of Roxio Toast.. But AFAIK, that uses the EXACT same methodology as kmttg does to download shows.. AND _I think_ it requires you to convert the program.. i.e. I _think_ you can't just download the 'raw' program, like you can with kmttg.

(I say an older version -- I PRESUME the functionality is still there, but I am not sure.)

I would have bought Toast if it were more reliable or provided more functionality than kmttg.. but it isn't/doesn't. In fact, kmttg does more.

The only bad thing about kmttg is that it's Java, so the UI is somewhat lowest-common-denominator.

Though the developer is receptive to bug reports & enhancements. He's added several that I requested.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
SullyND
L: 44-28

I like cTiVo.

SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

There are only third party programs. PyTivo can copy from Tivo and has the ability to copy back. KMTTG only has the ability to copy from the Tivo. Although it also boasts many other features.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and start streaming!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
henryjg

I have a similar question, but I'd like to get a particular program from my Roamio onto my iMac (not iPad or iPhone) to that I can archive it permanently, preferably in the .mov format.

It looks like cTivo only transfer from Tivo to iPad/iPhone. Can kmttg or some other software get a show from Tivo to my iMac?

henryjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

They will be in .mpg format and its possible the iMac can play them.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and start streaming!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
SullyND
L: 44-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryjg View Post
It looks like cTivo only transfer from Tivo to iPad/iPhone. Can kmttg or some other software get a show from Tivo to my iMac?
Not sure where you get that from. cTiVo only transfers to the Mac.

SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryjg View Post
I have a similar question, but I'd like to get a particular program from my Roamio onto my iMac (not iPad or iPhone) to that I can archive it permanently, preferably in the .mov format.

I ALREADY ASNWERED THAT QUESTION. kmttg.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
tamathat

This isn't super technical but I've been recording movies that I want to archive onto my pc and storing as mp4 files using a capture card. It stinks because its realtime recording but there is a timer so I play/record the movies while I'm doing other tasks. I use the Elgato Game Capture HD 10025010 thru an KanexPro SP-HD1X24K HDMI splitter. So TIVO HDMI out into splitter then usb into pc and record them thru the video capture.

I'm sure there is any easier way but this has been working well. I also went back and recorded all my old vhs tapes and archived them using this game capture device.

2 - Tivo Minis, lifetime
tamathat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathat View Post
This isn't super technical but I've been recording movies that I want to archive onto my pc and storing as mp4 files using a capture card. It stinks because its realtime recording but there is a timer so I play/record the movies while I'm doing other tasks. I use the Elgato Game Capture HD 10025010 thru an KanexPro SP-HD1X24K HDMI splitter. So TIVO HDMI out into splitter then usb into pc and record them thru the video capture.

I'm sure there is any easier way but this has been working well. I also went back and recorded all my old vhs tapes and archived them using this game capture device.
That may work fine for you, but you lose metadata, captions, quality and some other things. Its also in real time, and works only 1 way. Copying/Transfers work both ways and can be faster than real time.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
and start streaming!