TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2015, 06:14 AM   #1
rspike

Download to iPad --- "Buffering" ??

I've been downloading shows to my iPad for airplane travel.

When watching them, 10-12 minutes in the show freezes and the screen says "buffering". I'm then not able to watch any further.

Why is this happening? What is it buffering since the entire show is downloaded locally to the iPad?

rspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
CaptainCake

I've been having the exact same problem and I have no clue how to fix it. Did you ever figure out what the problem is?

CaptainCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
My guess is a glitch in the playlist and/or missing segment. When you "download" a show to the iPad it's really just saving the stream in it's original format to the disc. The Stream uses a technology called HLS, which breaks up the recording into hundreds/thousands of tiny (10 seconds I believe) files. Those files are then tied back together as a single stream using a playlist file which basically just lists all their file names in succession. If just one of those files is missing or is corrupted then it can ruin the whole stream. Although they could do a better job of dealing with errors. They should offer a way to seek past them since the whole point of this format is that you can seek to any of the segments directly.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
rspike

I ended up uninstalling the a App and then doing a fresh install.

Seems to be ok now.

rspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
CaptainCake

I deleted and reinstalled the app, but I'm still receiving buffering errors. There doesn't appear to be any consistency in where the buffering occurs in my downloads, but I am downloading away from home. I always have a solid connection when I so I don't know where the holdup is.

CaptainCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCake View Post
I deleted and reinstalled the app, but I'm still receiving buffering errors. There doesn't appear to be any consistency in where the buffering occurs in my downloads, but I am downloading away from home. I always have a solid connection when I so I don't know where the holdup is.
I have had very little success downloading out of home. It always seems to result in an unplayable download. I recently tried to download 4 1 hour programs using hotel wireless and only 2 of them would play all the way through. In this case I got an "Unexpected error" message (I guess that is as opposed to the "expected" errors).

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana collins View Post
In this case I got an "Unexpected error" message (I guess that is as opposed to the "expected" errors).
Thanks for my big morning computer chuckle for the day.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
wco81

I've run into it when downloading away from home and the connection is marginal at best.

Sometimes, if it's an hour recording and it buffers at 20 minute mark, I play it again and then quickly wipe past the point where it's buffering and I can finish watching the show, though there might be like a 5-minute gap that I missed.

I use Medium quality. The best quality is much larger file sizes and the quality difference isn't that big on my iPad mini Retina.

wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote