TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
thegutcheck

Roamio and "Smart TV"

I'm a writer/analyst by trade and one of my areas of specialty is covering football - specifically prospect analysis for the NFL draft. It means I watch a ton of college football.

I started doing this 10 years ago. I bought a Tivo Series 2 box and it worked great with my local cable provider. I burned the games to disc on a weekly basis for later viewing. Because I spend up to 10-16 hours viewing a single game and I might want to return to that game next year, burning the recording has been the best solution.

This winter I moved to a new town and the only cable provider is Comcast. They did not support the TiVO Roamio Pro (the box I want to get because it will allow me to transfer games to a computer so I can then burn them to disk) when I moved here and the customer service and quality of the cable provider is so bad out here that I'm inclined to wait a while and stick with Direct TV.

Unfortunately DTV/ATT doesn't support TIVO. I actually used ATT last year at my old house and bought a descrambler to record games off ATT's box, but could not get them at HD quality (I like to use HD quality so I can post clips of plays with analysis on my blog and other outlets where I write).

To try to shorten this story, Roamio Pro seems like the perfect solution to my needs, but I don't have a provider that is compatible to my area yet. A colleague suggested I look into a "smart tv" and find out if I can set up a smart tv that accesses the Internet and determine if I could use TiVo (either my current Series2 or upgrade to Roamio) to record from the smart TV and then burn to disc.

As a small business owner, having a library of games is a resource I'd like to have so I don't have to depend on others.

Anyone have suggestions about the smart tv idea or anything else that might help?

Thank you.
thegutcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
telemark

Who told you Tivo does not work with Comcast? This is almost backwards. Recent Tivo's work great when on Comcast.

ATT will not work, that is true. You have to use their DVR when on ATT.

DirecTV has a few DVR's but I have no experience so won't comment on whether they can archive your shows.

What channels do you need to record btw?

Last edited by telemark : 08-08-2014 at 10:56 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
thegutcheck

I wasn't clear. When Roamio came out, I saw online that you get the box, have cable installed, get the cable card from the provider and use the Roamio Pro as your main box. Comcast said that my area does not support TiVO Roamio at this time.

I know the way around ATT and can get that to work, but it's not optimal. I need any channel that I can record college games...ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN, ESPN2, and other regional channels that show games.

With a smart tv I figured I could try to record off ESPN3.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutcheck View Post
I wasn't clear. When Roamio came out, I saw online that you get the box, have cable installed, get the cable card from the provider and use the Roamio Pro as your main box. Comcast said that my area does not support TiVO Roamio at this time.
The only thing they could mean is that their CableCARDs have not been updated with the latest firmware and thus only support 4-tuners.

You could get the Roamio Pro or Plus and try it out. If it doesn't work with all 6-tuners, there is a way to disable 2 of the tuners until they update the CableCARD. Or you can get a base Roamio.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
thegutcheck

Thanks. I'll look into it. Might go up to the store in Alpharetta/John's Creek areas and talk to someone about it.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
telemark

If your primary purpose is to archive over watching "TV", you could look into capturing straight to a PC

For Cable:
SiliconDust makes the best capture hardware. Ceton is another company and has more tuners.
You would have to sort out getting a CableCard from Comcast.

For other types of TV providers, you could use a capture card for component out, if those boxes have that connector.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
You would be limited to one video source at a time, but it does support HD and has a good compression chip so the files will be small.

Quote:
Thanks. I'll look into it. Might go up to the store in Alpharetta/John's Creek areas and talk to someone about it.
Comcast Reps, have a history of providing misinformation. In the store, they'll try to steer you to getting an X1 if your city has them.

Last edited by telemark : 08-08-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

There is no way it will not work with Comcast.

If you are still concerned, Tivo has a great return policy. I would get it, and get the cablecard, and enjoy. If you need to complain about a cablecard issue, this board can help.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
You're in the Atlanta area? You were given mis-information*. The Motorola CableCARD I have in my Roamio has firmware version 6.25, which reportedly works fine with all 6-tuners. Unfortunately, I cannot independently confirm that as I only have the basic, 4-tuner model.

* I don't say lied to as it is more likely that the CSR is typically ignorant/stupid. Or he/she may have been lied to.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
thegutcheck

Thanks, Telemark - I've been considering the Hauppage for a couple months. The only issue (unless I missed it) is it sounds like I can't schedule recording. I'd have to have a tv running on that channel and connect a PC to and I guess I'm spoiled with the ability to schedule in advance, archive, and then burn.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
thegutcheck

I'm in Cumming, Ga. in a new subdivision so that might have been the issue. I'm going to reconsider Comcast - it just seems like the easiest solution for what I need and buying a Hauppage or buying addition equipment/tvs to record several games just gets too wonky and isn't that cost or time efficient.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
telemark

If someone's used to a Tivo, there's not many situations a PC is better.

Where a Hauppage is useful, if someone's stuck on a provider without usable hardware, just having some way of getting the shows off is better than nothing.

Edit:
For (encrypted) Cable TV, the only hardware I actually recommend is Tivo for any interactivity, and SiliconDust for automated capture scenarios.

For OTA/ATSC, Tivo or SiliconDust are still very good choices, but there's a few more options that operate differently. (ChannelMaster, Tablo, Simple.TV)

I don't recommend the Hauppage unless none of the above options can be made to work.

Last edited by telemark : 08-08-2014 at 12:54 PM.