TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
True Colors

Is it possible for me to create my own folders in my Tivo "now playing" list?

I searched the forum on the topic of creating folders in the Tivo "Now Playing" list. However, most of the stuff that I found was a few years old and it did not really answer my question.

Here is the deal......

I have a lot of videos on my computer which my Tivo Premiere is capable of playing just fine.

These videos did not originally come from my Tivo Premiere. But the Tivo can play them.

When I transfer these video files onto my Tivo, I would LIKE the ability to create a folders to put them in. However, I do not know how to do this. As it stands currently, the Tivo lists each individual file one by one by one in the "Now Playing" list.

Help?

Thanks!

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
tatergator1

I've never personally done this, but yes, since they are on your computer, you can create metadata files for each video, and you would pick an arbitrary SeriesID that all videos on your computer would share. The SeriesID is what determines grouping, so this will allow you to place eveything into a single folder.

Lots of info here, along with links to the tools.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
bobfrank

Been doing that for years.

All the instructions you need are here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...81#post7555181
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
I searched the forum on the topic of creating folders in the Tivo "Now Playing" list. However, most of the stuff that I found was a few years old and it did not really answer my question.

Here is the deal......

I have a lot of videos on my computer which my Tivo Premiere is capable of playing just fine.

These videos did not originally come from my Tivo Premiere. But the Tivo can play them.

When I transfer these video files onto my Tivo, I would LIKE the ability to create a folders to put them in. However, I do not know how to do this. As it stands currently, the Tivo lists each individual file one by one by one in the "Now Playing" list.

Help?

Thanks!

TC
You want them in folders on the TiVo itself after they have been copied back to the TiVo, not just in folders that appear when you right arrow or select the computer's name in the Now Playing list, correct?

If so, I don't think it can be done, short of reverse engineering and hacking/patching the proprietary TiVo software, although since I'm no expert on where that ends and the open source Linux part begins, I can't swear to that.

However, TiVo doesn't seem to have provided or allowed for doing what you want, so you'd have to change something in the software somewhere.

Wish they had, it'd be quite convenient, even just for stuff like movies recorded direct to the TiVo without regard for whether they've ever been copied to PC and re-imported or not.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
True Colors

Norm.... thanks so much for your tip. I really appreciate that.

I do have one question about your instructions..... please look at the parts that I marked in red.

Is the isEpisode supposed to start off false, and then change to true?

Thanks again,

TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormB View Post
I do this with movies all the time. I have several folders on my Tivo. DVDs, Horror, Downloads, etc.

You need PyTivo running as well as a program called MetaGenerator.

First get 2 small avi or other video files that pytivo can transfer. The smaller the better, because you will delete

them off the tivo anyway, so you want them to transfer fast. (as an example I will call them video1.avi and

video2.avi)

create 2 meta files (text files) with the following lines (Replace "Folder Name" with whatever name you want your folders called):

title : Folder Name
SeriesTitle: Folder Name
episodeNumber : 1
isEpisode :true
seriesId : SH999901

Name one of these meta files video1.avi.txt, name the other one video2.avi.txt Put these files in the same

directory as video1.avi and video2.avi

now, fire up PyTivo, and push them to your Tivo. (they must be pushed and not pulled) They should transfer and be placed in a folder with whatever name you entered in place of "Folder Name" The files will ALSO be named "Folder Name"

Now, run MetaGenerator. Create meta files for the real video that you want to transfer over. I save the meta files

in a subdirectory of where my video files are located. If you do this the subdirectory MUST be named ".meta".

Otherwise you can put them in the same directory as your video files. Now you will need to go into each meta file

and do the following

Change the line isEpisode from false to true

Add the lines:

SeriesId : SH999901

Save the meta file and fire up Pytivo. Push over at least 2 files. They should now be in the same folder as the 2 previous files, named correctly. You can now delete the original 2 files from the folder.

If you want to create a second unique folder, you can edit the original meta files with a new folder name and a new unique SeriesId (such as SH999902) and repeat the process.

The seriesId number is what the Tivo uses to determine what folder the video should go into, so change the SeriesId line in the meta file and you can select which folder where it is saved.

Also, be aware that if the folder comes up with an actual program name, that means the tivo has the same seriesId in its guide as what you selected, so you can delete the files, make up a new one. SH999901 to SH999915 have all been clear for me.

Hope this makes sense.

True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
unitron

I guess I overlooked the possibility of "fooling" the TiVo.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
bobfrank

I've had success without sending the two initial files as described in the post I referred you to.

I just create the meta text file and push the accompanying video using pyTivo.

Here is an example template:

title : Folder Name
seriesTitle : Folder Name
episodeTitle : Episode Title
isEpisode : true
seriesId : aaaTest
description : Enter your description here

If the video file is named moviefile.mpg then the meta data file should be named moviefile.mpg.txt.

The seriesID and be anything you want. It does not have to be in the format SH999901. It can be KidsMovies or VacationVideos or anything you want.

Download the latest MegaGenerator to create meta files for movies and TV shows.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
lpwcomp

When the destination is a Premiere (or presumably a Series 5, but I do not know for sure), you can use Pull to create arbitrary groups.

IMNSHO, this has the added advantage in that more of the metadata is transferred to the TiVo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
bobfrank

My experience is only with S3 and THD. It takes a pyTivo push to create folders. Unfortunately this also copy protects what ever video is pushed.

Pulling to create folders, which would hopefully not create copy protection, would be wonderful. I hope to have a Roamio soon so I can test it.