TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
leitzsout

Any Experience with MOCA 2.0?

Anybody using MOCA 2.0. I have some noise in my coax system which will be very expensive to remedy. Most Tivo functionality is there; however, I sometimes can't get xfinity on demand through my mini and will occasionally lose connection to my Roamio or Roamio pro. I also have some some occasional internet stuttering and some calls don't ring through. Wondering if anyone else struggles with less than optimal coax cabling and have tried MOCA 2.0.

leitzsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitzsout View Post
Anybody using MOCA 2.0. I have some noise in my coax system which will be very expensive to remedy. Most Tivo functionality is there; however, I sometimes can't get xfinity on demand through my mini and will occasionally lose connection to my Roamio or Roamio pro. I also have some some occasional internet stuttering and some calls don't ring through. Wondering if anyone else struggles with less than optimal coax cabling and have tried MOCA 2.0.
No Mini has MoCA 2 yet, so it can't make any difference as the Mini would downgrade MoCA v2 back to v1.1.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
fcfc2

Quote:
Hi,
Not exactly sure how you are defining "noise" but if it is some type of induced interference, I would check and if there are any open coax ports anywhere on your setup, you should pick up some 75 Ohm F-type connectors and put one on any open ports, they are readily available online or at Home Depot, about $4 for 10.
Also examine your coax connectors, if they are the newer compression type, take them off and look at the center conductor. If it is bright and shiny just securely tighten it back, if it is dull or discolored, try spinning a pencil eraser and drill it down until it is shiny again and re-tighten. If you have the old fashion "crimp on" or worse the kind that just spin on, seriously consider picking up a cheap compression tool package that includes a compression tool, a bunch of compression fittings, and a coax trimming tool. They used to sell on Ebay for under $20 and redo your coax fittings. One other thing to consider is to check your splitters, any old corroded looking ones it would probably be a good idea to invest in new ones, I recommend specific MoCA rated ones (5-1675MGz) since you have been having issues, these can be found on Amazon or Ebay. If you have an otherwise good coax pattern with most runs coming from a central location, this would be the best place to start with a new splitter since all your MoCA signals would likely be going through that one. Also, check to make sure that you have a MoCA POE or Whole Home DVR filter installed on the input of the first splitter to enter your home. The filters ensure your security and you get a reflective effect which will boost your MoCA signals a bit.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
joewom

Quote:
I have moca 2.0 connected to the internet. Then I have another moca 2.0 connected in my sons room and then to a switch. Before when it was all moca 1.1, I could get about 75-80mbs in his room on his computer. With 2.0 connected its 90-95 but his adapter is only a 100mps. As far as TIVO there is no difference and as stated they are only capable of 1.1 anyway right now.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
joewom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
leitzsout

Thanks for the thoughts...i can't easily deal with the noise issue. I have a splitter buried somewhere between the basement and first floor. I know which leg its on but can find the bad splitter, or run a new line without significant drywall cutting and patching. I don't have an attic or crawl space to use to get from one end of the house to the other.

I knew the Tivo MOCA is still 1.1; but, I had understood that 2.0 can run on a mixed MOCA network and not be downgraded to 1.1. i just wondered if this would make any difference with my less than optimal coax wiring.

Thanks again for the input.

leitzsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
joewom

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts...i can't easily deal with the noise issue. I have a splitter buried somewhere between the basement and first floor. I know which leg its on but can find the bad splitter, or run a new line without significant drywall cutting and patching. I don't have an attic or crawl space to use to get from one end of the house to the other.

I knew the Tivo MOCA is still 1.1; but, I had understood that 2.0 can run on a mixed MOCA network and not be downgraded to 1.1. i just wondered if this would make any difference with my less than optimal coax wiring.

Moca 2.0 seems stronger but that could be because I have a bonded adapter. I think its rated (on paper) to near gigabit speed. I know I have 6 devices on MOCA not including the 6 mini's and one roamio and one XL4 on MOCA. Never had any bandwidth issues. Never did on 1.1 but now on some I have a little more head room.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
joewom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
fcfc2

Quote:

Hi,
I have all the MoCA 2.0 adapters and most of the MoCA 1.1 adapters also. I initially ran several tests to determine what the addition of a MoCA 1.1 device would have, i.e., if it would reduce the entire network to MoCA 1.1 speeds. I found that as long as the network traffic was between 2 MoCA 2.0 legs you get MoCA 2.0 speeds. When the traffic is between MoCA 2.0 and MoCA 1.1 you can only get the lower MoCA 1.1 speeds. I used the Actiontec brand for the MoCA 2.0 devices and on the MoCA 1.1 side, I tried Actiontec, Motorola, and an off brand MyGica. This finding was contrary to predictions I had received from both Actiontec Support and a contact at the MoCA Alliance. I shared these findings on 2 forums, but I was later informed that indeed that some MoCA 1.1 devices did bring the enter MoCA down to MoCA 1.1 speeds. The devices that had this effect were the Actiontec and Fios branded WCB3000N MoCA to wireless network extenders. There may be other such devices, these are the only ones I am sure of. I also tried an older Netgear MoCA 1.0 adapter, MoCA 1.0 is supposed to be incompatible with MoCA 2.0 and this is apparently true as this addition didn't slow the network down...it stopped it dead.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote