TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > eBay Auction Central > Buyer/Seller Area
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
tlc

newbie paypal/ebay seller questions

I have a couple of Tivo HD's I've been meaning to sell (lifetime, 1tb), but I've been delaying because of the impression that paypal will be a hassle.

I have ebay & pp accounts. I haven't bought anything for a couple of years and I've never sold anything on ebay.

To sell something, will I have to give paypal access to a bank account?

Once paid, how to I get my money from paypal?

Any general ebay advice? Auction or not? Timing? I know I'll take a hit for not having a selling history.

Thanks,
tlc
Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
vurbano

ebay fees are ridiculous. you are better off selling it locally.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

You can figure on at least a 10% cut from ebay and around a 3% cut from Paypal. You can try selling on this forum or another forum and have a lower price and still come out ahead from putting it on eBay.

I sold one of my Elites on another Forum. Hopefully my second Elite will sell on here or another forum as well.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
I have a couple of Tivo HD's I've been meaning to sell (lifetime, 1tb), but I've been delaying because of the impression that paypal will be a hassle.

I have ebay & pp accounts. I haven't bought anything for a couple of years and I've never sold anything on ebay.

To sell something, will I have to give paypal access to a bank account?

Once paid, how to I get my money from paypal?

Any general ebay advice? Auction or not? Timing? I know I'll take a hit for not having a selling history.

Thanks,
tlc
I haven't had any hassle with paypal or eBay, but to get a verified account I think you have to have credit card on record and one or two bank accounts. It does take a while to set it up, but once set up I have never had a problem. ( knock on wood)

To get your money out of paypal you can just transfer it to your bank account, or request a check to be mailed to you. ( I am somewhat nervous about anybody being able to transfer money in or out of my bank accounts, so I set up accounts just for ebay/paypal.) You can get a encryption key for both for cheap from paypal. It makes logging into paypal more secure.

Buy some stuff on eBay to build up a history. I buy batteries and all kinds of things for cheaper than I can buy it here in town. And that includes shipping. I also buy 'out of season' items like volleyball nets that I buy now and then sell for twice as much in the spring/summer. A friend buys stuff on eBay and sells it on Amazon for twice as much. I don't understand Amazon myself. Its' search and info system is worthless for my uses, so I have never sold on it. And what I have bought has been listed as 'new, not seconds' but is was seconds so I had to send it back. A friend and his wife make over $100k a year selling on Amazon, so I guess it is possible.

I would do a 'buy it now' to sell on eBay as that seems to be the way you get the most money. Set the price near what other 'buy it now sellers' have sold it at. This is usually 10% or more than bidding gets you. You can put it on this forum, but there are lots of items on here that have never sold. I have about 20 Tivos with lifetime listed here that haven't sold. But then again I have sold more than 10 on here.

I always list for 10 days with a lot of good pictures of everything including box and manuals. For some reason people bid more if they can see that. And give a great description. If you are the original owner say that too. I start the listing on eBay on a day so the listing will run through 2 weekends. So Thursday usually. It is best if it ends on Sunday if you are doing the bidding method. ( not advised, do 'buy it now'. ) Items that end on Sunday sometimes get twice as much as items that end on Tuesday.

On eBay I only sell to buyers that have a verified account and have the item shipped to that verified address, or your not covered under paypals plans.

I do ship to people that contact me from aroundthe world after seeing my craiglist ads, and use the same rules as I do for EBay/paybal. I also take US POST Office money orders as they are the only ones that will give me cash. Don't take any other kinds of money orders or personal checks, as all those have to involve your banking account and you can get a 'chargeback'.

You can try listing on Craigslist if you are really selling for cheap. If you don't sell it for cheap it may sit forever. I have Series 1 an 2 Tivos that have been on craigslist for years. I sell about one per year, and I have them on there for cheap, with lifetime! Put your phone number on craigslist ads, as most people never respond to emails, so many never even try.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I just closed selling my old smartphone on eBay.

It was looking like I was gonna regret, 1st with PayPal telling me I could expect to be bale to access my payment on 5/12.

Then I couldn't buy shipping from eBay. PayPal kept telling me - over and over no matter how I edited it - that my address doesn't match my "UPS account." In the end I created my "UPS account" and when that didn't fix it I bought the label from UPS.

So I couldn't send the buyer the tracking number through eBay except by "contact buyer."

I watch the tracking and another SNAFU. "Cannot find the addresse. Please correct the shipping address.

Email the guy through eBay. Gives me an apartment number. I can't correct it with UPS.
Click, click, click, how to fix, "Intercept" There's an intercept fee.

His phone number is required. I don't have it. Use his email address for notification. I don't have it.

He emails me he really needs the phone the next day.

I emailed him the tracking number and asked him to contact UPS and straighten it put.

I see he got the package at 8 PM. I dunno if they redelivered it or he picked it up.

I got an email from PayPal that I can have my money.

He left me very positive feedback.

Whew.

I'm not anxious to do this again.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote