Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
How do you deselect a block? Or do you mean, it's easy to press the select key 100 times in a row, to deselect sequential channels?
Yeah. The way it auto jumps to the next channel makes it easy to deselect channels. I remember back in the old days before they added that auto jump feature. That was truly painful to deselect channels.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #32
ShoutingMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah. The way it auto jumps to the next channel makes it easy to deselect channels. I remember back in the old days before they added that auto jump feature. That was truly painful to deselect channels.
This has been a feature for years; The TiVoHD does it.
But it is faster now and a bit easier to use but I wish there was a live view in this mode. It is not designed for managing 1000 channels in the typical modern cable lineup.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
This has been a feature for years; The TiVoHD does it.
But it is faster now and a bit easier to use but I wish there was a live view in this mode. It is not designed for managing 1000 channels in the typical modern cable lineup.
I've been around since the early S1 days. The first software version I had was v1.3. I think this feature was added in the S2 days in v3 maybe.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I bet Margaret cares about those SD menus.

That woman seems to have a very good handle on what TiVo needs to do with their product based on what we've seen happen over the past 12 months.
If that was true, they'd already all be converted with the Roamio release.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #35
Doit2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoli412 View Post
Though I do agree that the welcome screens and initial setup should be in HD just for first impressions.
I would think those two areas would be the only thing that would HAVE to remain in SD. If someone buys and hooks up a Premiere or Roamio to a SDTV, guidied setup would be illegible in HD on a SDTV. The unit doesn't know you have a HDTV until you tell it you do.

Same thing with the welcome screens. The unit doesn't know what type of TV it's hooked up to until your saved preferences are loaded. I'm not sure of the boot order, but preferences would be after more important items.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #36
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
I bet Margaret cares about those SD menus. That woman seems to have a very good handle on what TiVo needs to do with their product based on what we've seen happen over the past 12 months.
Yeah, I guess she needs more resources to wrap this up once and for all. As has been said, in day to day usage it's not a huge deal... but it's reflects poorly on TiVo's ability to execute (to those who notice and care). And I agree something isn't aliasing right or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
I would think those two areas would be the only thing that would HAVE to remain in SD. If someone buys and hooks up a Premiere or Roamio to a SDTV, guidied setup would be illegible in HD on a SDTV. The unit doesn't know you have a HDTV until you tell it you do. Same thing with the welcome screens. The unit doesn't know what type of TV it's hooked up to until your saved preferences are loaded. I'm not sure of the boot order, but preferences would be after more important items.
Eh, TiVo should be able to sense connection type and branch or display different resolutions... like many, many other set-tops.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #37
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Yeah, I guess she needs more resources to wrap this up once and for all. As has been said, in day to day usage it's not a huge deal... but it's reflects poorly on TiVo's ability to execute (to those who notice and care). And I agree something isn't aliasing right or similar.
Absolutely resources. New functionality is always king when prioritizing resources. No one buys Roamio just because all the sub-menus are HD nor will the not buy because of it either. What differentiates TiVo on the shelf does e.g. DIAL, OOH, mini DTA, 6-tuners, etc.

Considering all the new tech being pushed into Roamio, it very understandable why these sub-menus have not gotten attention. Not only that, the bug fixes and releases (mini w/ season pass mgmt) since the Roamio are also more important. While ugly, WRT the new HD theme, they're still functional. I'd suspect with how busy Tivo is after launching Roamio, it maybe a while for those sub-menus to get some love.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #38
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Wow, if that's not an apologist response for something that should have been done with Premiere release over 3 years ago, I don't know what is.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
I would think those two areas would be the only thing that would HAVE to remain in SD. If someone buys and hooks up a Premiere or Roamio to a SDTV, guidied setup would be illegible in HD on a SDTV. The unit doesn't know you have a HDTV until you tell it you do.

Same thing with the welcome screens. The unit doesn't know what type of TV it's hooked up to until your saved preferences are loaded. I'm not sure of the boot order, but preferences would be after more important items.
But as far as I know Roamio doesn't have an SDUI option... Will it even work on an SD television acceptably?

I think setup worry about a 4:3 television is moot on the Roamio line.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #40
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Wow, if that's not an apologist response for something that should have been done with Premiere release over 3 years ago, I don't know what is.
Maybe, but I do appreciate the amount of effort that has gone into moving the product forward over the last 18 to 24 months. A long cry from the development malaise during the litigation years.

It should have been done for the Roamio release and it is hard to believe that it couldn't have been done without the release date slipping.

But, I really look at it in perspective - in my day to day usage of the Roamio, I never see the SD menus. If you are really looking for 1st world issues, you have sure found one!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 11-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #41
jmpage2

Come on now. Every time you access messages from an online scheduled recording you are dumped into the SDUI. I probably see the SD screens at least several times a week, and it's annoying since HD screens have the preview window and all the eye candy.

You're telling me that doing the "messages" screen in HD would have caused the ship date to slip? I kind of have a hard time buying that one.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #42
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
It should have been done for the Roamio release and it is hard to believe that it couldn't have been done without the release date slipping.
Poor grammar, it is a double negative - the date should not have slipped

I don't get nearly that many messages - I am sure happy I have FIOS...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #43
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Sure, looking at it that way, they've had a long time to bump up priority. However, new tech takes time to develop and we're seeing a big leap in tech following those litigation years. I can be sure Roamio didn't have a short development cycle to get where its at. Also, as a solution lead for a large firm, I understand how this happens. Other business development activities are pushed by mgmt to grow in adjacent markets. While frustrating, all of these other activities push stuff like this down the priority list. Resources aren't limitless and you have to make choices based on these kinds of demands. As a consumer, I don't like it, but I've seen how it happens.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #44
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Come on now. Every time you access messages from an online scheduled recording you are dumped into the SDUI. I probably see the SD screens at least several times a week, and it's annoying since HD screens have the preview window and all the eye candy.

You're telling me that doing the "messages" screen in HD would have caused the ship date to slip? I kind of have a hard time buying that one.
and what's a big deal for some folks is a non-issue for others. If I've come across a Roamio SD screen it's not in normal use and I clearly don't remember it, nor do I really care if they're that infrequent, same goes for my Premiere.

Some people have made the SD screens a rally point that they will just not let go, the Roamio is a great improvement over the Premiere that never got the love or attention in development it should have.

It's also pretty clear across multiple threads which TCF members have a chip on their shoulders on Roamio that they make known in any thread vs. other folks that have no such vendetta and are addressing concerns in a calm way.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #45
atmuscarella

I have always found what different people find import interesting, but I really do not understand some people's fixation on this HD vs SD menu stuff. Frankly if it weren't for this forum I wouldn't know the difference.

On my Roamio when I go into "Settings" or "Account & System Info" the menus look perfectly fine, the text is clear' very readable and I have no issue with my TV or receiver (when it was working) while moving around between the so called HD & SD menus.

I can not believe that my 5 year old TV has some super powers that no other TV has and magically makes my menus look just fine so I really do not understand what the heck everyone wants. Do you want that stupid info bar on everything?

Frankly I would think most people would prefer TiVo work on our DVRs feature set and not waist time on making our Setting menus look prettier.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #46
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I couldn't give a sh*t about SD menus when I get messages....even if I accessed them "several times a week" as on poster said. The percentage of time I spend in SD menus compared to HD is STILL miniscule....and I can read the SD text just as well as the HD.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #47
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
and what's a big deal for some folks is a non-issue for others. If I've come across a Roamio SD screen it's not in normal use and I clearly don't remember it, nor do I really care if they're that infrequent, same goes for my Premiere.

Some people have made the SD screens a rally point that they will just not let go, the Roamio is a great improvement over the Premiere that never got the love or attention in development it should have.

It's also pretty clear across multiple threads which TCF members have a chip on their shoulders on Roamio that they make known in any thread vs. other folks that have no such vendetta and are addressing concerns in a calm way.
So now I have a vendetta against TiVo because a couple of things I've complained about like pop-up ads or the incompleteness of the UI? OK then. There's a flip side to that coin too which are the hordes of people that excuse anything that TiVo poorly executes on with the repetitive chime of "it's better than the alternative". In the case of the Premiere that was a very thin excuse and was quite debatable. At least with the Roamio TiVo have proven that they haven't completely forgotten the consumer market that put them in the brand position that they are in today.

It still doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement or that we shouldn't "complain" when things aren't as good as they could be. I tend to call things as I see them even if a few feathers get ruffled. FWIW I also have the top rated Amazon review of the TiVo Mini (which I gave four stars) and a pretty even handed review of the Plus which also has gotten good feedback.... so I'd say that my feedback is, on the whole, considered pretty 'valuable' by Joe Public.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #48
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
So now I have a vendetta against TiVo because a couple of things I've complained about like pop-up ads or the incompleteness of the UI? OK then. There's a flip side to that coin too which are the hordes of people that excuse anything that TiVo poorly executes on with the repetitive chime of "it's better than the alternative". In the case of the Premiere that was a very thin excuse and was quite debatable. At least with the Roamio TiVo have proven that they haven't completely forgotten the consumer market that put them in the brand position that they are in today.
While I didn't call you out directly, my take has been that you're very unhappy with the Roamio, and are willing to make that very clear in multiple threads, other folks like myself are impressed with the Roamio and don't share your view. So yes, now I have called you out on it.

It's the same thing as the Gravity thread and people being fixated on the science issues and not being able to get past it to enjoy the movie, so you can swap vendetta for fixation or obsession if those are better terms.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #49
Doit2it

While I defended the SD screens at startup and initial setup, I do feel the HD menus should be throughout the system after that. I'm not going to rant about it cause it's out of my control. Yes, if I worked in the Tivo design department I'd be ashamed of my incomplete work. If I was a manager, I'd demand the inconsistencies be fixed. There may be valid reasons why there are still SD menus (memory contraints, etc.) Other than request they make the user experience appear more uniform, I have to live with Tivo's failure to provide the user experience they started but didn't complete. OK, maybe I am going to rant about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #50
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
While I didn't call you out directly, my take has been that you're very unhappy with the Roamio, and are willing to make that very clear in multiple threads, other folks like myself are impressed with the Roamio and don't share your view. So yes, now I have called you out on it.

It's the same thing as the Gravity thread and people being fixated on the science issues and not being able to get past it to enjoy the movie, so you can swap vendetta for fixation or obsession if those are better terms.
Here is my Amazon review of the Roamio.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3VV8OP...cm_cr_rdp_perm

I also started the poll here on TCF on Roamio satisfaction and defended it from those who have it a very unfavorable rating.

Exercise some care when wiping that egg from your face .
Old 11-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #51
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
There may be valid reasons why there are still SD menus
According to an interview with the TiVo CEO, the only reason is "priorities".

It was really bad until the HD guide and other primary screens were updated, now it is just something for people to complain about.

TiVo needs to finish them, if for any reason just to take ammunition away from the detractors.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 11-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #52
Riverdome

I have my Roamio connected to a 61" JVC read projection and while I did notice the SD menus they certainly don't detract from the device's usability or my user experience. Given a finite amount of R&D dollars I have a number of wishlist items I would like worked on before these menus. Yes it seems like an easy project to finish but it't not something I'll think about again until it's brought up again on this forum.
Riverdome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #53
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I don't have a big problem with the SD menus... it just seems utterly baffling why they haven't updated them yet. I'm unclear how it could take more than a couple of minutes to take the SD menu items exactly as they read now and just move them into the new HD UI.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #54
jwbelcher

Quote:
Here is my Amazon review of the Roamio.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3VV8OP...cm_cr_rdp_perm

I also started the poll here on TCF on Roamio satisfaction and defended it from those who have it a very unfavorable rating.

Quote:
FWIW I also have the top rated Amazon review of the TiVo Mini (which I gave four stars) and a pretty even handed review of the Plus which also has gotten good feedback.... so I'd say that my feedback is, on the whole, considered pretty 'valuable' by Joe Public.
Never been falsely accused of being humble, eh?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #55
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
TiVo needs to finish them, if for any reason just to take ammunition away from the detractors.
No, they need to finish them so they don't continue to look like a bunch of amateurs that don't care about the look and feel of their product.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #56
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
*shrug*
I just know that certain folks routinely come up in Roamio threads complaining as I'm reading them, and my impression is that you're not happy with yours, no need to drag it out more, if you're happy, all the better, it's a great unit in my book.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #57
uw69

Not sure why we even have this thread. Really not a big deal for most folks. Maybe a slight annoyance but really it says a lot about how good the Roamio is, if this is a big deal to someone.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #58
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Not sure why we even have this thread. Really not a big deal for most folks. Maybe a slight annoyance but really it says a lot about how good the Roamio is, if this is a big deal to someone.
I don't have a Roamio, but on my Premiere 4, as well as the *look* difference (UI lack-of consistency), there is a bit of a PAUSE when switching in and out of the HD interface.. so you see it every time you go to settings (not too often), or find by channel/time, the latter of which I do at LEAST once a day on average.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote