TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

The SD menus look horrible

So the first thing I notice when setting up my new Roamio is the SD menus look terrible. The TiVo guy is all pixelated and the text that overlays the new yellow selection bar is all jagged and alaised.

The speed is impressive so far. I've been forcing connections on every TiVo in the house to get everything synced up and it's even faster then my wife's Pioneer S2 running the old SDUI.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
So the first thing I notice when setting up my new Roamio is the SD menus look terrible. The TiVo guy is all pixelated and the text that overlays the new yellow selection bar is all jagged and alaised.

The speed is impressive so far. I've been forcing connections on every TiVo in the house to get everything synced up and it's even faster then my wife's Pioneer S2 running the old SDUI.
There is something go on with scaling that doesn't seem right. Have you tried any SD video thru the machine yet.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Rkkeller

How do the main screens look like Guide, info, etc....

I think I have only seen a couple SD screen when in setup, but you rarely have to see them once everything is good.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
oosik77
TiVo Maniac

My SD menus look okay... for SD anyway.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

What I'm mainly noticing is that the text in the highlighted selection looks all jagged. It's like a poorly made DVD menu where they didn't have enough colors to properly anti-alias the text
Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
tim1724

They certainly don't look any worse than the SD menus on my Series 3 did. At least now I only have to see them when looking at things like Settings menus, rather than all the time.
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

I posted this thread while I was still running through Guided Setup, which is still SD. It was the first thing I noticed when I used the Roamio for the first time. Now that I'm using the HD menus more I don't notice it as much.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
jmpage2

The SD menus look like garbage and frankly TiVo should be a bit embarrassed at this point that they haven't been fully retired.... ESPECIALLY as you must go into them to set things up.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
tim1724

Quote:
I posted this thread while I was still running through Guided Setup, which is still SD. It was the first thing I noticed when I used the Roamio for the first time. Now that I'm using the HD menus more I don't notice it as much.
I was a bit surprised to see Guided Setup using the old UI. You'd think they'd want to make a good first impression.

I'd hope that one of the early software upgrades fixes that. (But knowing TiVo, probably not.)

What bugged me was the horrible graphics being used for the boot screens ("Almost there…") .. what is that, a GIF? The banding in the gradients and shadows is awful. Redo that in 24-bit color guys, and use PNG or something if you need to compress it.
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
What bugged me was the horrible graphics being used for the boot screens ("Almost there…") .. what is that, a GIF? The banding in the gradients and shadows is awful. Redo that in 24-bit color guys, and use PNG or something if you need to compress it.
LOL. I noticed that too.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
DaveDFW

Quote:
LOL. I noticed that too.
Tivo really should spend a little more effort on these screens. We don't see them often, but we do see them for minutes at a time while waiting for the boot process to finish. I can see the banding and poor resolution from another room!
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Tivo really should spend a little more effort on these screens. We don't see them often, but we do see them for minutes at a time while waiting for the boot process to finish. I can see the banding and poor resolution from another room!
They should at least poke fun at it and use something reminiscent of blocky 8-bit graphics like the segment in the opening animation from the Atari era.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
So the first thing I notice when setting up my new Roamio is the SD menus look terrible. The TiVo guy is all pixelated and the text that overlays the new yellow selection bar is all jagged and aliased.
As a TiVoHD owner (until last week) reading all the notes about only some of the UI being in HD really made my eyes glaze over. Now that I have a Roamio, I am surprised how jarring the change is. Using the consistent SD UI that was on the TiVoHD was not so bad. Now I swap from a nice HD UI, to SD UI quite regularly, and, for some reason, the SD UI on the Roamio looks even worse than the UI on the TiVoHD.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
ALbino
Lurker Series 2

When I bought an XL4 after years of not having a TiVo and using a DirecTV DVR I was absolutely SHOCKED that there's even a single menu that's not in HD. The fact that the Roamio still has some SD menus blows my mind. How hard is it to update menus from SD to HD? Seems like an incredibly easy fix from the outside looking in. I'm sure at this point they've torn down the whole navigation and rebuilt it a couple of times since HD existed. Heck, I had an HD TiVo back in like 2006? The fact that they're stuck with these tacky SD menus -- 7 years later! -- is insane, and makes you wonder what the in world is going on over there.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
JSY

Wow, after reading this thread - I have to concur - I can not believe that there is *any* SD menu/UI in the Roamio. As much as I would love to have the additional tuners, this is may very well prevent me from considering an upgrade at least until the SD menus are eradicated. I know that sounds silly, but I keep grumbling the last few years about how they keep coming out with new hardware when they haven't finished with the UI on the old hardware, and it sounds like this is more of the same. It always makes me feel like once they put something out to market, they don't give it much attention and start working on new hardware without 'fixing' the concerns of the existing/old hardware.

My TiVo HDXL has no HD menus and my TiVo Premiere XL still has some SD menus... There's no excuse for the Roamio to have any SD menu at all. I really can't think of any.
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
stoli412

I don't want to criticize, but I have to say I honestly don't understand the uproar about the remaining SD menus. It's literally JUST the settings screens now that Wishlists are in HD. How often are you guys going into the settings screens after initial setup? About the only time I have to go in there is if there is a change to the channel lineup.

I don't know what the holdup is on TiVo's end in finishing the HDUI, but I'd hate them to make that a priority over new hardware and features! I want things like the HTML 5 app store, out-of-home streaming/downloading, and the new My Shows layout MUCH more than HD settings screens.

Though I do agree that the welcome screens and initial setup should be in HD just for first impressions.
stoli412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoli412 View Post
I don't want to criticize, but I have to say I honestly don't understand the uproar about the remaining SD menus. It's literally JUST the settings screens now that Wishlists are in HD. How often are you guys going into the settings screens after initial setup? About the only time I have to go in there is if there is a change to the channel lineup.

I don't know what the holdup is on TiVo's end in finishing the HDUI, but I'd hate them to make that a priority over new hardware and features! I want things like the HTML 5 app store, out-of-home streaming/downloading, and the new My Shows layout MUCH more than HD settings screens.

Though I do agree that the welcome screens and initial setup should be in HD just for first impressions.
Was just about to post something similar. Having a few SD screens buried in the settings doesn't bother me much one bit at all. In fact, the settings SD menus aren't even that bad. The real atrocity is the Amazon VOD SD screens. Holy pixelation, Batman! That'll probably change if/when the Amazon app gets updated (and hopefully supports Instant!).

Then again I'm coming from a TivoHD, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's not really that they look bad, it's that after 3.5 years the HDUI is still not done. That's pretty pathetic. And it's not just settings. Find by Time and Find by Channel are still SD as well.

Also Guided Setup, the first thing a user sees when they boot up the TiVo for the first time is still SD. That doesn't give a new user the best impression.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
Rkkeller

Check out the Podcast app. Looks worse than anything I have seen.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

And it's not like they have to stop working on new features or new hardware to get this done. Hire a couple of guys who specifically do UI work and have them just do it. No matter how long it takes, just have them work on the UI until it's done.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #21
jmpage2

Quote:
It's not really that they look bad, it's that after 3.5 years the HDUI is still not done. That's pretty pathetic. And it's not just settings. Find by Time and Find by Channel are still SD as well.

Also Guided Setup, the first thing a user sees when they boot up the TiVo for the first time is still SD. That doesn't give a new user the best impression.
I agree it leaves a bad taste especially during setup that TiVo is something of a dinosaur (even though that's not the case).

Many of us get 100+ channels we don't subscribe to or watch, setting them with the SD interface is painful, if it was in HD with a preview window it would be a snap.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Many of us get 100+ channels we don't subscribe to or watch, setting them with the SD interface is painful, if it was in HD with a preview window it would be a snap.
Yep.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Apparently you can remove channels via the guide, which has the little window, so there is an easier way to do this.

I fix the problem by simply subscribing to everything. Except the Spanish channels, but those are easy to pick out by name and are in one block.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
jmpage2

Quote:
Apparently you can remove channels via the guide, which has the little window, so there is an easier way to do this.

I fix the problem by simply subscribing to everything. Except the Spanish channels, but those are easy to pick out by name and are in one block.
I am apparently not in the know on some of these guide tricks, I will have to play around a bit. We only subscribe to a mid-tier of Comcast programming and so there are many channels we don't get (and don't want) and it always seems like TiVo finds another one and starts recording blank suggestions from it.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

1 plus for Charter, at least here, is they arrange all the channels for a given tier into a block with a gap before the next tier starts. So like 2-90 are Basic, 100-190 are Extended, 200-whatever are spanish, etc.... so it's pretty easy to deselect a block you don't subscribe to.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #26
mattack

Quote:
I don't want to criticize, but I have to say I honestly don't understand the uproar about the remaining SD menus. It's literally JUST the settings screens now that Wishlists are in HD.
I don't have a Roamio, but I sure thought others confirmed previously that Find by Time/Find by Channel were still in SD.. Those are the ones that I see at least daily (on average). Yes, I have a bazillion season passes set up.. Yes, I still skim the guide to look for specials or missed shows.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #27
ShoutingMan

Quote:
1 plus for Charter, at least here, is they arrange all the channels for a given tier into a block with a gap before the next tier starts. So like 2-90 are Basic, 100-190 are Extended, 200-whatever are spanish, etc.... so it's pretty easy to deselect a block you don't subscribe to.
How do you deselect a block? Or do you mean, it's easy to press the select key 100 times in a row, to deselect sequential channels?
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #28
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
How do you deselect a block? Or do you mean, it's easy to press the select key 100 times in a row, to deselect sequential channels?
Yea, I believe this is what Dan is meaning. It is an advantage in creating a guide.

Also, as mentioned, one can add/remove from Favorites or Channel List, via the guide, by clicking on the channel number to get a popup window. Was this option available on the Premier boxes? If so, I hadn't known. It's made things a lot easier with the new box.

Also, does it matter much whether I create a Favorites guide or a My Channels guide? Meaning, would creating a Favorites guide influence my TiVo Suggestions? I mean, you know, should my TiVo Suggestions happen to decide to work today?
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #29
ALbino
Lurker Series 2

Quote:

It's not about the SD menus themselves (although, they do look amazingly tacky) but it's more an indication of a systemic problem within the company itself. From a practical day-to-day purpose is it a "problem"? Not really. But it does make them seem incompetent, lazy, or uncaring about the users.

I mean, do these guys even use their own product? You have to think that someone in management one day would be looking at these terrible SD menus and wonder what the heck is going on within his own company and then make an effort to fix it. It's been literally years and years and it hasn't happened yet. Makes you wonder.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #30
jmpage2

I bet Margaret cares about those SD menus.

That woman seems to have a very good handle on what TiVo needs to do with their product based on what we've seen happen over the past 12 months.