Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #31
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I think they just wanted it to match the speed of a Premiere...
That must be it. TiVo has to run the website at a slower speed for the Premiere.
Hmmm, increase the web site speed, or brick all Premiere units out in the wild...
Tough choice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #32
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Did you ever set it up for out of home use? You have to do that once on your network..
I have the option turned on that allows network access if that is what you mean, but I still cannot connect to it outside of my home network. It still gives me the no compatible boxes found message.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #33
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I have the option turned on that allows network access if that is what you mean, but I still cannot connect to it outside of my home network. It still gives me the no compatible boxes found message.
Try deleting the app and reinstalling
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #34
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Try deleting the app and reinstalling
no change.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #35
Nailz

Still on the fence on whether to buy Roamio & Mini combo. These types of threads give me pause.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #36
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Still on the fence on whether to buy Roamio & Mini combo. These types of threads give me pause.
You mean because the Web site is slow, you wouldn't buy their hardware?

XL4

Last edited by Bierboy : 02-19-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #37
Nailz

Quote:
You mean because the Web site is slow, you wouldn't buy their hardware?
Yes. It's my understanding that the TiVo hardware has to connect with Tivo over the internet. Also account management and some features are accessed via Tivo's web interface. It does give me pause before spending $500 for a service, aside from the hardware investment, to learn users are having problems. Just me I guess.

Curtis
Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #38
mattack

Quote:
Well, at least once I have set it up, I can still go to Setup when out of home, and I just did.

It's shown as "Step 4: Setting up out-of-home-streaming"

When INITIALLY setting it up, you have a checkbox to enable that is called either that, or something very close to that.. You have to do the INITIAL setup on your home network.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #39
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Yes. It's my understanding that the TiVo hardware has to connect with Tivo over the internet....
The hardware, however, does NOT connect to the TiVo Web site...

XL4
Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #40
tds4182

I just visited the site at 8:03 CDST and it was pretty quick. Loaded right up.
tds4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #41
marklyn

Quote:
Nailz, I certainly wouldn't hesitate because of this! I think my 'issue' is actually resolved because, although I can't connect to my Tivo via the app (directly), I do see that you can use the app to connect to the Tivo service and that seems to be suitable for me.

I was with TW cable year ago and got ticked off at them for whatever reason, don't remember, not important now.
Moved to Dish for about 3 years and got tired of some issues that weren't being resolved (fast enough) for me, then I went to DirecTV for about 10 years, and although I had a good experience, I wanted the Tivo experience back and moved back to cable since the Roamio's are now available.

Yes, there are occasional problems, but the benefits and enjoyment I get out of the Roamio and Tivo service is FAR BETTER than not having it. Tivo engineers designed their software very intuitively and with features and design thoughts for people who really watch TV.

As a computer network admin who has been in this business since 1985, it's difficult to buy anything electronic that always and totally lives up to 100% of everyone's expectations. Yes, there are some times when I'm frustrated but I don't regret my investment and I'm always ready to accept some blame for any deficiencies on my end related to a problem.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #42
Nailz

Quote:
The hardware, however, does NOT connect to the TiVo Web site...
Lets agree to disagree then. I suppose you cannot go to the Tivo website and manage your DVR to do list and other features.

Curtis
Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #43
Nailz

Quote:
Nailz, I certainly wouldn't hesitate because of this! I think my 'issue' is actually resolved because, although I can't connect to my Tivo via the app (directly), I do see that you can use the app to connect to the Tivo service and that seems to be suitable for me.

I was with TW cable year ago and got ticked off at them for whatever reason, don't remember, not important now.
Moved to Dish for about 3 years and got tired of some issues that weren't being resolved (fast enough) for me, then I went to DirecTV for about 10 years, and although I had a good experience, I wanted the Tivo experience back and moved back to cable since the Roamio's are now available.

Yes, there are occasional problems, but the benefits and enjoyment I get out of the Roamio and Tivo service is FAR BETTER than not having it. Tivo engineers designed their software very intuitively and with features and design thoughts for people who really watch TV.

As a computer network admin who has been in this business since 1985, it's difficult to buy anything electronic that always and totally lives up to 100% of everyone's expectations. Yes, there are some times when I'm frustrated but I don't regret my investment and I'm always ready to accept some blame for any deficiencies on my end related to a problem.
Thanks Marklyn. I agree with you that electronics do not always live up to their specifications or marketing. That's why I have been reading as much as I can on this forum. It's the customers/smart tech guys/gals to whom I am grateful that share their experiences, lesson learned and solutions.

I am not shy around AV/IT gear. I don't claim to know everything though. I do know that if Tivo chooses to charge $500 for lifetime service, I want to know what I am getting and if others are satisfied. If the Tivo network is having issues then this could affect the Tivo hardware performance.

I have already decided that the Tivo solution, on paper, is what I am looking for. The cost, for me and my budget, is kinda high. The cost is less than an HTPC/extenders solution for me. When I do the math I can start saving money after about 2 years if I buy Tivo verses renting the cable company's equipment.

There is a BIG caveat for ME. If the Tivo equipment and service are not solid it is on me to work with Tivo or the cable company. If I rent the equipment from the cable company I will only have them to deal with and I can return/swap out the equipment whenever I want. I could even kick them to the curb and go with another solution.

Curtis
Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #44
Ziggy86

Not sure what takes longer, trying to use tivo.com or rebooting a Tivo unit?
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #45
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
Not sure what takes longer, trying to use tivo.com or rebooting a Tivo unit?
Do you think the two may be connected? Does the Tivo unit have to phone home to verify that it is an authorized/activated piece of equipment?

Curtis
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #46
mburnno

Quote:
Yes. It's my understanding that the TiVo hardware has to connect with Tivo over the internet. Also account management and some features are accessed via Tivo's web interface. It does give me pause before spending $500 for a service, aside from the hardware investment, to learn users are having problems. Just me I guess.

Curtis
Trust me it is not just you. If I had know back then about the problems the Roamio's are having I would not have purchased one until the next year and half. To spend so much on a DVR box just pisses me off to no end just to be told by support oh it's fault. Fu*king really!!! On top of that how about the two or so outages that took everybody down that exposed the Tivo boxes were so depended on the Tivo servers. I mean hell, I realize they contacted the servers for some stuff but never that much!
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #47
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
Trust me it is not just you. If I had know back then about the problems the Roamio's are having I would not have purchased one until the next year and half. To spend so much on a DVR box just pisses me off to no end just to be told by support oh it's fault. Fu*king really!!! On top of that how about the two or so outages that took everybody down that exposed the Tivo boxes were so depended on the Tivo servers. I mean hell, I realize they contacted the servers for some stuff but never that much!
And just what does that have to do with TiVo's Web site? You guys are arguing apples/oranges. The Web site has absolutely NOTHING to do with connecting to the hardware....

XL4
Old 02-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #48
tds4182

Tivo.com crazy slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post

I've had a Roamio Plus and 3 minis for about 8 months now with almost no problems. Minis talk to the Plus just fine and Netflix and other apps on the Plus load up pretty fast.

My router is an Apple Air and consistently deliver 20-25 mbps. Modem is a Motorola surfboard that has always outperformed the CC's modem.

All in all, I'm a happy camper!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #49
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds4182 View Post
I've had a Roamio Plus and 3 minis for about 8 months now with almost no problems. Minis talk to the Plus just fine and Netflix and other apps on the Plus load up pretty fast.

My router is an Apple Air and consistently deliver 20-25 mbps. Modem is a Motorola surfboard that has always outperformed the CC's modem.

All in all, I'm a happy camper!
This is good to hear! Do the mini's stream Netflix well?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #50
tds4182

Smile Tivo.com crazy slow

Quote:
This is good to hear! Do the mini's stream Netflix well?
I haven't tried Netflix on the minis so I can't answer that question.

Netflix from the Plus is pretty good.

Update (2/21 @ 4:51 CDST): Just watched episode 2 of Season 1 of House of Cards on my office mini and all went very well. Episode was 49:01 long and was up really fast.

My only complaint is that the mini didn't realize that I had previously entered my Netflix username and password on the Roamio Plus so I had to reenter that on the mini.

Other than that, all is good!

Last edited by tds4182 : 02-21-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Update info on using mini