TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #121
Shakhari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
Shakhari, you might want to spoilerize your post for Ereth. He isn't there yet and this thread is for him, not for following along the current season.
He and I have talked about it in RL, so I didn't think about it when I posted, but you raise a valid point.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #122
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Why are you bothering? You're going to hate it, you hate pretty much everything.
Of course he does.

If you follow a recipe for bad results, you get bad results.

I haven't watched Mad Men or Arrested Development or lots of other shows that people say are really good. If I decide to sit down and watch those shows with an "Oh, yeah, show me!" attitude, I'm very likely to come away with a reaction of "meh".

In any case, I am not going to have the same experience as the viewers who watched the shows when they were brand new, watching as they were originally released, knowing nothing about what was going to happen (I don't mean that in the plotwise sense -- I mean, not knowing if the show will be cancelled tomorrow or if it will run for decades).

To give the show a fair chance -- to appreciate it as others have done -- you need to clear your mind of a lot of that outside knowledge, and approach the show as a new creation, and let it unveil itself to you, as a new viewer would have seen it. And you have to be willing to let yourself be pleased by what is good, rather than looking out on purpose for things to nitpick.

As far as I can tell, Alfer is unwilling to do that, so it's practically inevitable that he won't like anything.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #123
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

The three parter with The Master is pretty entertaining.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #124
LordXenophon
Technomage

You really need to have seen most of the new series before you can truly understand most of the episodes these people are talking about. Only a very few episodes really work as stand-alone teasers to get you interested, then you have to go back to Rose and work your way through them in order.

I don't really think of Father's Day as a good starting point for a new viewer, because there were a lot of fan comments about it being more like The Twilight Zone. If that sounds interesting, then go for it.

Here's a few I think work well enough to watch early, meaning the ones with little reference to earlier episodes and plenty to show a new viewer how the genre works:

s01e01 Rose
s01e02 The End of the World
s01e03 The Unquiet Dead
s01e06 Dalek
s01e08 Father's Day
s02e10 Love and Monsters
The Runaway Bride
s03e01 Smith and Jones
s03e10 Blink
Voyage of the Damned
s04e01 Partners in Crime
s04e02 The Fires of Pompeii
s04e07 The Unicorn and the Wasp
Planet of the Dead
The Waters of Mars
s05e01 The Eleventh Hour
s05e02 The Beast Below
The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe

Episodes without series and episode numbers are specials. Notice how many are in series 1. This is because the show is heavily serialized, so it gets harder and harder to find an episode to watch independantly.

I usually start people with 'Rose', 'The Runaway Bride', 'Voyage of the Damned', 'The Fires of Pompeii' 'The Waters of Mars' or 'The Beast Below'.

The Unquiet Dead is also one of the better ones for a new viewer, because it's the first one set in the past and it features a very recognizable historical figure. Not everyone likes a ghost story, though.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 AM   #125
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
The BBCA doctors can be silly
BBCA doctors??
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #126
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
He and I have talked about it in RL, so I didn't think about it when I posted, but you raise a valid point.
Oh, then ignore my comment then. You haven't spoiled it for him (well, you may have, but it happened before your post ). I didn't realize that you two new each other in RL, and would have discussed it.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #127
Ereth

Quote:
Oh, then ignore my comment then. You haven't spoiled it for him (well, you may have, but it happened before your post ). I didn't realize that you two new each other in RL, and would have discussed it.
Since about 1978 or so. Shakhari is my oldest real-life friend (oldest in terms of how long I've known him, he's actually a year younger than I).

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #128
Agatha Mystery

I also assumed that your friend was a woman, by the name. I don't know why, but his username seems feminine to me.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #129
Ereth

Quote:
I also assumed that your friend was a woman, by the name. I don't know why, but his username seems feminine to me.
Because it ends in a vowel. In Western Culture, that usually (though not always) indicates a female name.

In fact, it's an obscure X-Men reference from the 1960s, if I remember correctly.

I finished the 2nd half of the aliens crash into London episode. Ended better than I thought it would from the first half, but the promo for "next week" says we are getting Daleks.

I'm beginning to gather that while the 2005 series continues on from the old series, they decided to re-introduce everything so newbies like me could catch up. I guess that's why I'm starting in 2005 and not 2011 or something.

I don't think I ever started a show over 8 years old before. I was kind of hit by what a daunting task that is, and how long it'll be before I get to the Hugo-nominated episodes that started this jaunt earlier tonight.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #130
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Because it ends in a vowel. In Western Culture, that usually (though not always) indicates a female name.

In fact, it's an obscure X-Men reference from the 1960s, if I remember correctly.

I finished the 2nd half of the aliens crash into London episode. Ended better than I thought it would from the first half, but the promo for "next week" says we are getting Daleks.

I'm beginning to gather that while the 2005 series continues on from the old series, they decided to re-introduce everything so newbies like me could catch up. I guess that's why I'm starting in 2005 and not 2011 or something.

I don't think I ever started a show over 8 years old before. I was kind of hit by what a daunting task that is, and how long it'll be before I get to the Hugo-nominated episodes that started this jaunt earlier tonight.
At least each series (season) is relatively short compared to a US 21 episode season.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #131
kdmorse

Quote:
Since you don't really 'need' the "next week" promo's to rope you into tuning in "next week", I suggest you skip them. They're not generally majorly spoiler, but at times they do ruin minor surprises. Sure, given the next episode is titled "Dalek", a Dalek showing up isn't really going to be a surprise, but the point remains.

Quote:
More or less, yes. For the most part, everything that we know from watching 25 years of classic Doctor Who, serves as backstory. While knowing it enriches the viewing experience, it's not required to enjoy the show. Some references, some jokes, a collection of enemies, and the occasional plot point draw from the classic series - but none of it is required going in (*). Although sometimes certain actions make a little more sense knowing the Doctor's full past.

(*) There are a few exceptions. The episodes still stand on their own, with their own plot, but are inexorably tied up with the doctors past and aren't quite as special without it.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #132
Ereth

Watched "Dalek" today. Actually loved that they had the whole stairs thing, and the actual comment about killing machines that are stopped by stairs. I'd been hearing that for years, so to hear it in the episode was an awesome tip of the hat to the fans.

Elevate! Elevate!

Turned out to be a pretty schmaltzy ending, but it was definitely not where I thought they were going, so I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #133
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah I love the Elevate part.

You need to watch faster.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #134
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

I just watched "Dalek" (last night) too.

I love the American accents.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #135
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
I just watched "Dalek" (last night) too.

I love the American accents.
yeah, they also pronounced a word in a way that Americans wouldn't, but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #136
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
yeah, they also pronounced a word in a way that Americans wouldn't, but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.
I guess all the Brits who can do American accents are already working in American television...
Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #137
rgr

There's a bunch of great infographics at http://blog.visual.ly/doctor-who-infographics/

They have the different doctors, companions, enemies, etc.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #138
Ereth

Finally had another chance to watch.. watched "The Long Game" today, where the Doctor, Rose, and Adam (whom I had already forgotten) go to the year 200,000.

Best episode yet. Felt like nothing else, just a good SF episode, internally consistent, well plotted. This is probably the first episode where I went "ok, this is good. I could watch this" on it's own, with no attachment to anything else (history, whatever).

Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #139
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Just FYI -- BBC America is running a series of specials called "The Doctors Revisited". The first airing has a talking-head show about the Doctor (whichever one it is) followed by one of the episodes that is discussed in the show. So if you haven't seen that episode yet, you get big-time spoilers.

They've caught up to the modern era; the next one due up is Christopher Eccleston's. You might want to record it and save it for later.

Edited to add: the show airs Sep 29th; the episodes following are "Bad Wolf" (S1 Ep 12) and "The Parting of the Ways" (S1 Ep 13).

Last edited by murgatroyd : 09-20-2013 at 01:43 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #140
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
There's a bunch of great infographics at http://blog.visual.ly/doctor-who-infographics/

They have the different doctors, companions, enemies, etc.
Five robotic companions? I can only think of K9.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #141
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Five robotic companions? I can only think of K9.
Looks like, based on the icons in that section, they're considering each K-9 iteration as separate. How they got 5 from that, I'm not sure, since there were only 4 K-9's, only three of those ever had any adventures with the Doctor, and only two actually traveled with him.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #142
lambertman
Not single!

The nearly-forgotten Kamelion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #143
LordXenophon
Technomage

The 3rd K9 might count. The first we see of it is when Sarah Jane finds the crate in her aunt's house, but we have no idea what happened to it before then. The Doctor may have travelled with it for a while, then crated it back up before giving it to Sarah Jane.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #144
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Looks like, based on the icons in that section, they're considering each K-9 iteration as separate. How they got 5 from that, I'm not sure, since there were only 4 K-9's, only three of those ever had any adventures with the Doctor, and only two actually traveled with him.
It is stretching a bit but K-9 Mark IV was in Journeys End. Not really a companion as he was with Sarah Jane at the time. Mark III was in the Five Doctors as well as School Reunion. Like you said, only I and II travelled with him on TV.

But, add Kamelion and you have 5.

It all depends on what you say is a companion.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #145
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Any updates, Ereth?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #146
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Any updates, Ereth?
Got caught up with all the new prime time series and haven't watched an episode in a while. Free time is in short supply of late.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #147
tvmaster2

see the first ad last episode of each season since Ecclestone/Piper arrived...2005 maybe, at the very least.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #148
cheesesteak
Meh.

Over 100 long-lost Doctor Who episodes found by dedicated fans - in Ethiopia

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #149
lambertman
Not single!

Take it with a heap of salt until we get an official announcement. It's way too good to be true at the moment, legitimate media reports or no.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #150
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Take it with a heap of salt until we get an official announcement. It's way too good to be true at the moment, legitimate media reports or no.
This rumor has been floating around (and repeatedly debunked) for months. This time, however, there seems to be a grain of truth to it. A small grain, but a grain nonetheless. We'll know more tomorrow.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/...ing-this-week/