TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #121
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
This show is so bad it's making me reconsider reading the book that I bought months and months ago because everyone said it was so good.

I can't stop watching though. I need to find out what idiotic thing they are going to do next week.
Laria, you will enjoy the show more if you read the book. Yes the book is good.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #122
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I just started reading the book since the main plot is very interesting to me, not the bad dialog and nonsensical side stories IE the fight club. No spoilers and not going to go into a big discussion on it, but after only 50 pages it is clear the book and TV show have nothing in common except for the title and some character names.
You need to read more of the book, the writers of the show are using some of the plot line(s) from the book, just re-writing it for the show.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #123
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Not always. I loved the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. When they turned it into the movie Blade Runner, they took liberties with it that are probably at a similar level to those taken here, and the movie was at least as good as the book.

Of course, there can be a difference between the liberties taken by a highly skilled and talented screenwriter with a deep respect for and understanding of the source material, and those taken by a room full of untrained monkeys flinging their feces...
A great example of diverging from the book with good results is Friday Night Lights (both the movie and the series). Rather than try to do a docudrama, they just wrote a new story.

Maybe, if they would have reenvisioned Dune, that would have been a good movie.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #124
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
This ain't no Shawshank Redemption that's for sure. These stupid but popular shows seem to be a recent trend. Revolution, The Following etc..

I don't mind it, at least it's sci fi and I don't need to read another S.K. 1000+ page book. Had my fill of his overwriting with 11-22-63.
You mean a trend that has been around for decades? The vast majority of all TV shows made could be considered "stupid".
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote