TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Antennaman

Fios and Roamio to present users

My apologies if this has been asked and answered. I gave up my Tivo 3 yrs ago. I just could not deal with the constant pixelation due to the overdriven signal. Tried every attenuator known to man. I even had help from the Fios tech who spent more than 2 hrs at my house one day. As crappy as the Fios Motorola box is it will put up with way too much signal and way too little signal unlike the Tivo. Is the Roamio better and is anyone having these issues with it.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

That issue was fixed with a software update a few years ago. Pulled my attenuator and no pixilation at all.

You will like the Roamio!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes, I've had no issues with FiOS and my Roamio. But I also never had any pixelation issues with the Premieres or S3 boxes on FiOS either. I have had four ONTs over the last 6+ years, but three of those have been in the last 1.5 years. But only because one died on me and the others were because of FiOS tech errors and they had to rule out the ONT as the cause of the problem.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I had pretty significant pixilization with my S3 and had to install the perfect combination of attenuators.

But TiVo sent out an update that finally fixed the issue and I was able to ditch the attenuators all together.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Antennaman

Thanks guys for the responses. I really want to get back to a Tivo. Fios is so far behind in DVR's with one tuner it is a joke. If they do come out with a new one the new customers will be the only ones to get it.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
Thanks guys for the responses. I really want to get back to a Tivo. Fios is so far behind in DVR's with one tuner it is a joke. If they do come out with a new one the new customers will be the only ones to get it.
Rumor is that FiOS is coming out with a six tuner box shortly. Of course there is also a rumor that they might have a 12 tuner box. But that seems a bit extreme.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Rumor is that FiOS is coming out with a six tuner box shortly. Of course there is also a rumor that they might have a 12 tuner box. But that seems a bit extreme.
Meh. My Fios guy (when unable to get the wrong cable card to work on my new Roamio) tried to tell me that (since Tivo won their lawsuit) the Fios DVR was essentially now a Tivo platform. I tried not to laugh. It was almost as amusing as the Time Warner guy trying to tell me how great SDV is. I switched to newly arrived Fios four nanoseconds after the last trench in the neighborhood was filled in.

There is nothing any cable company in my area can offer me that is better than a Tivo Roamio that is actually working as advertised. Six or Twelve tuners on ANY cable company DVR would probably drive me batty that much quicker
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Antennaman

After the favorable answers it was off to the Best Buy with my 10% coupon to pick up the Roamio Plus. The box works flawless thus far. No picture problems whatsoever. Just a bit slower changing channels vs the verizon box and for whatever screwy reason season pass is not coming up when I hit the record. Minor stuff to get worked out....

As for Verizon coming out with the 6 tuner box I already know it will not be offered to anyone but new customers. If an existing customer wants one they will have to pay. I did! For a Tivo
Old 10-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Floridaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes and we will be lucky if the boxes are released by the 22nd century! They have been talking about the new media server for at least a year and continue to push the release dates back.
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
vurbano

lets not lie about FIOS. They are taxing their bandwidth and I see it occasionally on various channels.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
lets not lie about FIOS. They are taxing their bandwidth and I see it occasionally on various channels.
At my in-laws house, I'll see pixelation on their FiOS boxes now and again when visiting. Haven't seen on my THDs in years.

Since replacing the THDs with the Roamio, I will get some macroblocking very infrequently, and ~1 second or less. These appear to be in the recordings, and I've only seen on a couple of channels (like Comedy Central HD). All in all, pretty solid experience, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote