TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
TC25D

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon - Why?

I understand the appeal of these services to cordcutters and people who like movies, but for people who have cable service, and aren't that big into movies, what's the point of having both cable and one (or more) of these services?
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

For me I have Netflix because there are a few old TV shows I'm catching up on and for the original series. (House of Cards and Orange is the New Black were both excellent, haven't caught up to the new season of Arrested Development yet) I also watch an occasional movie, but their selection is a bit lacking so that's not a big draw. (at $7.95/mo it's not really that different then having a premium channel) I don't have Hulu. And the only time I use Amazon is to buy an episode of a show that I missed because my cable was out or it got rescheduled last minute and caused my TiVo to miss it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
what's the point of having both cable and one (or more) of these services?
For those times (more often lately) when you just cant find anything you want to watch on linear cable. I have Amazon Prime. Its nice for those occasions when someone drops over and wants to watch a movie too. Since I dont have any premium channels, its nice to toss them the remote and tell them to find something they want to watch. Cant beat the two day free shipping either. I order almost everything from Amazon. I hate shopping in crowded stores.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
mdscott

Quote:
what's the point of having both cable and one (or more) of these services?
Granddaughter is working through Bones & Dr. Who at a steady pace.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I understand the appeal of these services to cordcutters and people who like movies, but for people who have cable service, and aren't that big into movies, what's the point of having both cable and one (or more) of these services?
They offer different content than cable has to offer. You may be satisfied with the content on cable, but many people want content that cable doesn't offer so they pay another service for it. It's pretty much the same reason most people choose cable or satellite over OTA tv.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
They offer different content than cable has to offer. You may be satisfied with the content on cable, but many people want content that cable doesn't offer so they pay another service for it. It's pretty much the same reason most people choose cable or satellite over OTA tv.
Agreed.
Hulu is worth to me, if only for some of the "Original Programming" and British comedy available.

I watch less cable and recorded shows because of the programming available on these services.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
Agreed.
Hulu is worth to me, if only for some of the "Original Programming" and British comedy available.

I watch less cable and recorded shows because of the programming available on these services.
I think I end up watching more shows on cable because of services like Netflix. Because I've found several shows on streaming services that I was able to catch up on and then start watching current episodes on broadcast TV.

Without the ability easily and quickly catch up on the shows I would have never started watching them. Nikita and Scandal are two shows I did that with last year.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
abovethesink

Quote:
For people who are very heavy media consumers, these services bundled with a cable package simply provide access to more on demand content. These services are also recently creating their own original programming accessible no where else. I have really enjoyed House of Cards and Orange is the New Black on Netflix for example.

Finally, if you have young kids around, Netlix and Amazon are a seemingly infinite resource machine when it comes to children's content.
abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
plfarley

How I use Netflix

Sometimes I will see a story on Yahoo such as "Five Greatest Movie Chase Scenes" then it lists the movies.
I can go to Netflix and search for the movies. Hopefully they are available for streaming, but not always.

This gives me some entertainment or can start a conversation with friends.
plfarley is offline   Reply With Quote