TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Stormydog

show audio volume

Recently I have noticed big differences in the audio tv volume when playback of recorded shows. One show plays fine and another different show plays very loud and the tv volume has to be lowered. I have never experienced this before until recently.

Wonder if it is the networks or TiVo software. My money is on the tv networks screwing things up.
Stormydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormydog View Post
Recently I have noticed big differences in the audio tv volume when playback of recorded shows. One show plays fine and another different show plays very loud and the tv volume has to be lowered. I have never experienced this before until recently.

Wonder if it is the networks or TiVo software. My money is on the tv networks screwing things up.
I've always noticed on my receiver that different networks have different settings for DD. For example, sometimes I will see it decrease the volume by say -7db, sometimes -3db, and sometimes not at all. Fox has always been the worst.
Not sure what it's called but I've always seen the issue from the digital broadcasts.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Stormydog

show audio volume

I have had my tivos for years and have never experienced the changes in volume upon playback as I have for about the last several months. After watching a recorded show and selecting a different one, sometimes the audio is so loud now that it has to be turned down.

Never had this problem until recently.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

I looked closer at my receiver, it's called Dial Norm. I've seen this for many, many years from digital broadcasts. Around here Fox is the worst with a DialNorm of -7dB so I need to turn the volume up an equal amount to hear the same level of sound.

I just found this info about Dial Norm

Quote:
Dialnorm is the meta-data parameter that controls playback gain within the Dolby Laboratories Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio compression system. Dialnorm is an integer value with range 1 to 31 corresponding to a playback gain of -30 to 0 dB (unity) respectively. Higher values afford more headroom and are appropriate for dynamic material such as an action film.

Dolby recommends that the dialnorm value be determined by measurement of average dialog level in the encoded audio of every program. The recommended approach derives the absolute value of a power sum of the A-weighted audio level in all digital channels. If every producer and distributor uses this method, consumer dialog levels will be consistent from program to program and channel to channel. The dialog levels will be "normalized" - hence the abbreviation "dialog normalization".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialnorm

the problem is every broadcast network uses a different Dial Norm level. Or maybe that is dictated at the local level?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
JandS

Many audio receivers and possibly even some TVs have a method of automatically altering the sound so that there aren't wide variations in sound level (e.g. between one TV show and the next, or between a loud segment in a movie vs. a quiet one). Perhaps your TV or audio system has such a setting which was accidentally turned off?

For example, on our Denon 4310 receiver this capability is called "Dynamic Volume". It has 3 settings for various levels of "smoothing", called Midnight, Evening, and Day, for various levels of how much adjustment between loudest and softest sounds is applied.
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Stormydog

show audio volune

Thanks,
I'll look around for any settings like that. I just know that one show had normal volume on playback and another was very loud and had to be turned down. Doesn't happen all the time, but for years never saw this happen until recently.
I recall some discussions about networks having commercials louder than the show but this is the whole show volume.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
proudx

how dialog norm works

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=121087

This is a good explanation of how dialog norm works.
proudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS View Post
Many audio receivers and possibly even some TVs have a method of automatically altering the sound so that there aren't wide variations in sound level (e.g. between one TV show and the next, or between a loud segment in a movie vs. a quiet one). Perhaps your TV or audio system has such a setting which was accidentally turned off?

For example, on our Denon 4310 receiver this capability is called "Dynamic Volume". It has 3 settings for various levels of "smoothing", called Midnight, Evening, and Day, for various levels of how much adjustment between loudest and softest sounds is applied.
Yes my Denon3808 has that feature but I don't like to use it since it compresses the dynamic range. If I had to worry about the volume level with the neighbors I would use it.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
GreyhoundR

I'm sure there are always people saying this, but legitimately - I have noticed more of this in the last 6 months or so, at least in what I'm watching.

It's kind of perverse because that whole law about the commercial loudness has been in force for all of this calendar year, I don't feel like it has changed things much.

My Vizio has SRS TruVolume built into it which is supposed to rectify exactly this, though my audio does go out of the TV via optical and into a Zvox, I believe this setting is still processed because it lets me modify a subset of the audio settings with the TV speakers set to off still.

Evidently this is a rather difficult nemesis to chase down. . .we still want to hear our explosions in movies and baseball bats hit baseballs and drivers hit golf balls and all that other stuff that is a pretty sudden drastic change in dB.
GreyhoundR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

That is the problem with those volume settings. they all compress the sound and reduce the dynamic range. I only use them in a situation where the louder noise can disturb someone. Otherwise I leave tem off.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
GreyhoundR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That is the problem with those volume settings. they all compress the sound and reduce the dynamic range. I only use them in a situation where the louder noise can disturb someone. Otherwise I leave tem off.
I agree and haven't found one I liked yet. I heard favorable reviews of Dolby volume when it came out a couple years ago but I'm guessing the licensing isn't cheap because it's not in much gear.

One would think though that if there are DVRs and transcoders that can pretty reliably identify commercials that audio processors might be able to as well, and at least only implement volume "normalizing" on commercials or on one channel vs the next.
GreyhoundR is offline   Reply With Quote