TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #31
uw69

Had the same issue with Bones and Sleepy Hollow. Sent Margaret an e-mail with info she requested and signed up for the beta.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #32
hankinsohl

Same Problem While Recording Sleepy Hollow

Like several posters on this thread, I too encountered the "partially recorded" error while trying to record Sleepy Hollow via a season pass.

TiVoMargret:

With respect to entering "9 1 1" etc. while watching the problem video, am I supposed to bring up the guide before doing so. Attempting to enter numbers while watching a show just causes Tivo to produce the "bonk" sound indicating that input isn't appropriate. In any event, I tried entering the requested info without and then with the guide up just in case and am following up with an email as requested.
hankinsohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #33
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

I'm looking for a volunteer on the West Coast that can easily reproduce this issue on a non copy-protected channel, who would be willing to have a home visit from a TiVo Engineer on Thursday or Friday.

If you are up for such a thing, please email me ASAP: margret@tivo.com

Thanks!
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #34
martinso

This is an ongoing issue with me, documented in http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509005

It just happened again with Bones on Fox last night (9-16-13).

I sent mail to Margret offering all my broken recordings .
martinso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #35
JesseBearden

Happened again on "Dads" on Fox. It appears to happen often of Fox primetime shows. Interestingly, a repeat of "Big Bang Theory" was on beforehand and it was fine. So, maybe just new shows on Fox?

Either way, my brand new Tivo is practically useless with regards to Fox right now.

If I opt in to the beta, can I opt back out later? I'd like to get this issue fixed asap, but I don't think I want to commit long term to beta software.
JesseBearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #36
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
I'm looking for a volunteer on the West Coast that can easily reproduce this issue on a non copy-protected channel, who would be willing to have a home visit from a TiVo Engineer on Thursday or Friday.

If you are up for such a thing, please email me ASAP: margret@tivo.com

Thanks!
--Margret
Email sent. But I live on an Army Post, we'll see if that's a problem.
All of my Fox recordings are worthless.
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #37
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Ok, it appears many of you are in the Seattle area, and have Comcast.

If you are in Seattle and have Comcast, and have this problem on your FOX shows, I'd like to know:
- Is your CableCARD paired? (Val: V on the CableCARD menu means it is paired. Val: ? means it is NOT)
- Are you able to watch shows from Xfinity on Demand on your Roamio, or do they freeze shortly after you start watching them?

If you are NOT in the Seattle/Comcast area and you are having this problem, I'd like to know:
- Which channels and which shows exhibit the problem
- Your zip code and cable company

My email is margret@tivo.com. Please use the subject: "Roamio Trickplay Channel issue" and include your TiVo Service Number (TSN).

Thank you!
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #38
moyekj

Curious why CableCard pairing would matter for FOX channel since broadcast channels cannot be CCI protected?

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #39
JesseBearden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Ok, it appears many of you are in the Seattle area, and have Comcast.

If you are in Seattle and have Comcast, and have this problem on your FOX shows, I'd like to know:
- Is your CableCARD paired? (Val: V on the CableCARD menu means it is paired. Val: ? means it is NOT)
- Are you able to watch shows from Xfinity on Demand on your Roamio, or do they freeze shortly after you start watching them?
I'm in Seattle, I'm having the issue.

Yes, my CableCard is paired with Val: V. I don't normally use Xfinity on Demand, but I turned it back on and was able to get a few minutes in to a show without much issue.

I will say that the first few times I tried to go to Xfinity, it failed with an error, but retrying immediately made it work.
JesseBearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #40
fdisker2000

I posted this in the other thread but I'll post it here again.
My theory is: the feeds that are being used for the programming (prime time, football, etc.) cannot be played by the TiVo. It is either a national or regional feed that's the problem. The only part of the recording that can be displayed is the local feed (commercials) that have been added by the local affiliate.
When I am view the Fox effected programs, I can only trick-play during the obviously local commercials but not the show.
I can also pull the shows off my Roamio to my PC using kmttg and play them fine as long as I don't try to re-encode them.
I tried playing the effected recordings on my Premiere and transferring them from the Roamio to the Premiere and they won't play on it either.

Last edited by fdisker2000 : 09-18-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #41
hankinsohl

Another Partially Recorded Show

I got a second partially recorded show while trying to record English Premier League Soccer shown on NBCSNHD broadcast by Comcast in the Seattle area.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #42
uw69

So far I have only seen this issue on Fox with new shows for the season. Next week a huge amount of new shows are coming to to CBS, NBC and ABC. Anyone seen the partial recording behavior on these?

I see two different issues (but they may be related) Show A will show a partial recording in my shows, but in reality the whole episode is there, but you can not use fast forward, skip ahead ect. This show can be watched.

Show B shows partial recording, but upon pressing play, skips to about the middle of the show and will play from there (as long as you don't fast forward ext. Not a real watchable situation.

Recording all Fox shows on a series 3 now until we can get this resolved. Bigger problem if the other major networks exhibits this issue next week.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #43
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Recording all Fox shows on a series 3 now until we can get this resolved. Bigger problem if the other major networks exhibits this issue next week.
Recording the SD channel works for me, as the HD Fox channel is only effected and may be another work-around.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #44
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post
Recording the SD channel works for me, as the HD Fox channel is only effected and may be another work-around.
Interesting, only HD impacted. Thanks for the info.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #45
ahwman

Quote:
So far I have only seen this issue on Fox with new shows for the season. Next week a huge amount of new shows are coming to to CBS, NBC and ABC. Anyone seen the partial recording behavior on these?

I see two different issues (but they may be related) Show A will show a partial recording in my shows, but in reality the whole episode is there, but you can not use fast forward, skip ahead ect. This show can be watched.

Show B shows partial recording, but upon pressing play, skips to about the middle of the show and will play from there (as long as you don't fast forward ext. Not a real watchable situation.

There definitely is something with Fox as I'm experiencing this on several Fox channels listed below. I'm also experiencing this with National Geographic channels, has anyone had issue with this channel as well?

I live in SE Michigan and my cable provider is Bright House, here's the problem channels:

224 - Fox News
270 - National Geographic Channel
286 - Fox Sports Detroit Plus
288 - Fox Sports 1
321 - Nat Geo Wild
322 - Fox Business
368 - Fox Soccer HD
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #46
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
There definitely is something with Fox as I'm experiencing this on several Fox channels listed below. I'm also experiencing this with National Geographic channels, has anyone had issue with this channel as well?

I live in SE Michigan and my cable provider is Bright House, here's the problem channels:

224 - Fox News
288 - Fox Sports 1
321 - Nat Geo Wild
322 - Fox Business
368 - Fox Soccer HD
They are ALL Fox owned channels, so it makes sense. I'll have to check the rest of my Fox channels.
You may want to email TiVoMargret with the info she posted because you are in a different region and different cable provider than most of us effected.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #47
uw69

Quote:
They are ALL Fox owned channels, so it makes sense.
You may want to email TiVoMargret with the info she posted because you are in a different region and cable provider than most of us effected.
Great advice. I think we who have this issue need to make sure we detail what we see and respond to requests for info from Tivo. Seems like they want to help figure this thing out!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #48
ahwman

Quote:
They are ALL Fox owned channels, so it makes sense. I'll have to check the rest of my Fox channels.
You may want to email TiVoMargret with the info she posted because you are in a different region and different cable provider than most of us effected.
Wow, I wasn't aware that Nat Geo was owned by Fox, that lends more credence to something to do with Fox broadcasts... Regarding Margret, I have been in constant contact with her, they were going to extract some recordings off of my box unfortunately they're all copy protected so she needs to find someone with access to a non copy protected recording for further analysis.

Hopefully TiVo will stumble onto a solution. I just think it's odd that it's only happening with certain providers/programming - interesting...
Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #49
ahwman

Quote:
Great advice. I think we who have this issue need to make sure we detail what we see and respond to requests for info from Tivo. Seems like they want to help figure this thing out!
Yes, Margret told me that they are committed to figuring this out and that is very encouraging... Hopefully it proves to be a simple patch and doesn't turn into something bigger and longer lived like the tuning adapter/suggestions bug...
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #50
DaveDFW

Quote:
224 - Fox News
288 - Fox Sports 1
321 - Nat Geo Wild
322 - Fox Business
368 - Fox Soccer HD
Just looking at this list, aren't all of these broadcast in 720p? Just wondering if that could be the common thread.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #51
uw69

Quote:
Wow, I wasn't aware that Nat Geo was owned by Fox, that lends more credence to something to do with Fox broadcasts... Regarding Margret, I have been in constant contact with her, they were going to extract some recordings off of my box unfortunately they're all copy protected so she needs to find someone with access to a non copy protected recording for further analysis.

Hopefully TiVo will stumble onto a solution. I just think it's odd that it's only happening with certain providers/programming - interesting...
My recordings are non-copy protected. I can even drag some out of the delete bin if that would help.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #52
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Just looking at this list, aren't all of these broadcast in 720p? Just wondering if that could be the common thread.
You're absolutely correct, I verified each of these channels are in fact 720P. I was starting to get excited then I realized one of the channels that works perfectly for me is also 720P, so I don't know if that you text there in the foot.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #53
Cleo256

Also a problem on last night's New Girl and The Mindy Project (on Fox on Seattle). I watched both shows live and there were no problems with the broadcasts, but the recordings of each say they are about 2 minutes long.

I e-mailed the requested info, but just to re-state here, my CableCARD is paired (Val :V) and I do have the On Demand freezing problem.

Thanks for the suggestion to record the SD channels as a workaround. I've just set up a separate season pass to do that.
Cleo256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #54
martinso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo256 View Post
Also a problem on last night's New Girl and The Mindy Project (on Fox on Seattle). I watched both shows live and there were no problems with the broadcasts, but the recordings of each say they are about 2 minutes long.
I too watched these live, knowing they had screwed up the last time they were broadcast. Did you notice that the green bar was missing until the last 4 or so minutes of the show? As if there were no buffer, yet the show was being recorded. Needless to say, these exhibit the now familiar problems with ff/rw as well as showing as partial recordings.

At least we know that TiVo is actively trying to solve this right now.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #55
uw69

Cleo & Martinso what cable co do you have and where are you located? thanks
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #56
swerver

I got hit by this last night on fox - Dads, Brooklyn 99, New Girl and Mindy Project were all 2 minutes long, and only commercials, not the beginning of the show. When I stopped the Mindy project recording halfway thru the show and restarted it, it recorded normally.

I am in Seattle on Comcast. My on demand has been working fine.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #57
martinso

Quote:
Cleo & Martinso what cable co do you have and where are you located? thanks
Seattle area (Kirkland), Comcast. The combination of Seattle-Comcast-Fox is pretty common by now.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #58
Cleo256

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinso View Post
Seattle area (Kirkland), Comcast. The combination of Seattle-Comcast-Fox is pretty common by now.
Seattle area-Comcast-Fox here as well.
Cleo256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #59
uw69

I sense a trend here.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #60
hankinsohl

Not just Fox-owned Channels

As mentioned earlier in this thread I ran into this problem while recording a show on NBCSNHD. So it's not just Fox-owned channels that are affected.

I too live in the Seattle area (Kirkland) and my cable provider is Comcast.

What would be interesting to know is whether or not any Seattle-area Comcast subscribers successfully recorded the first broadcast of Sleepy Hollow on their Roamio.