TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
bobwalton

Channel always not available when power up system

I posted this in the wrong area, so I am posting again here, I have searched and not found a solution.

I just purchased a Roamio Plus and got it up and running with Cox Communications (cable card, TA, and a headache). Now, when I turn on my system with my Harmony remote, whatever channel I was watching when I turned off the system is blank. If I change the channel, any other channel comes in with no issues. The channel that originally turns on either says that it is not currently available or not authorized, but as soon as i change the channel, everything works fine.

The signals on all the channels I have checked are 100% and SNR at 41. Thus, it shouldn't be a signal issue.

This is an annoying issue because if I am watching say channel 1007 when I go to bed and a show is set to record the next night before I power on the system, my fear is that it will not record. Don't know if cable card or tuning adapter is going to sleep or something.

I am open to any suggestions.
bobwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
mrizzo80

So you get this same problem on, for example, your local NBC/CBS/ABC channel - and not just the more obscure channels that are likely on SDV?

I don't have Cox (nor the issue you describe here), but I think cable head ends can periodically stop sending SDV channels if it doesn't think anyone is "watching" them. Obviously your TiVo is still on that channel but maybe if no other subscribers request that channel for X number of hours they kill the channel.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwalton View Post
The signals on all the channels I have checked are 100% and SNR at 41. Thus, it shouldn't be a signal issue.

I am open to any suggestions.
This could be one possible issue, Tivo will bork on signals that is too strong. It should be about 37 SNR. You should be able to lower that with attenuators.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
bobwalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
So you get this same problem on, for example, your local NBC/CBS/ABC channel - and not just the more obscure channels that are likely on SDV?

I don't have Cox (nor the issue you describe here), but I think cable head ends can periodically stop sending SDV channels if it doesn't think anyone is "watching" them. Obviously your TiVo is still on that channel but maybe if no other subscribers request that channel for X number of hours they kill the channel.
I have been able to reproduce the behavior using HBO, Showtime, Science Channel, and ABC. The channel does not seem to matter. It is almost as if the channel is put to sleep because the message when I turn on the system is generally this channel is not available and suggests I watch channel 2 instead. I do not get the "this channel is not authorized" cable card message (I did get that once, but can't reproduce that).

On Tuesday night, I tried to go to Tivo Central (or whatever it is called when you hit the Tivo button on the remote) before I shut the system down to the point there was no live video feed. When I turned the system back on on Wednesday, the video was playing on the channel I had on before I went to Tivo Central (no black screen and not in Tivo Central). I'll see if I can reproduce this tonight.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
bobwalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
This could be one possible issue, Tivo will bork on signals that is too strong. It should be about 37 SNR. You should be able to lower that with attenuators.
I can try this. It looks like 3db and 5db attenuators are available. Do you if this would affect the streaming portion or a C501 error on the Tivo, because I have both of those issues as well?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

This might be much ado about nothing. I understand your fear and I'd be worried too.

Why don't you run some tests. Make sure you set up a recording on that specific channel for different intervals and see what happens over several days and several trials. Seems like that should be easy enough to do.

(Assume there is nothing in the TiVo buffer when you turn your set on?)
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
bobwalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
This might be much ado about nothing. I understand your fear and I'd be worried too.

Why don't you run some tests. Make sure you set up a recording on that specific channel for different intervals and see what happens over several days and several trials. Seems like that should be easy enough to do.

(Assume there is nothing in the TiVo buffer when you turn your set on?)
What is the Tivo buffer and how do I check? Sorry, I am new to this.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwalton View Post
What is the Tivo buffer and how do I check? Sorry, I am new to this.
TiVo is always recording on each tuner. It retains the last 30 minutes of programming. Press rewind to check.

If nothing there you can switch to another tuner and see what's there.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
bobwalton

Quote:
Ok, I went out and bought a set of attenuators. SNR was at 41db. Placed a 10db attenuator on the line and SNR went to 38 (I tried two different 10db attenuators with the same result). That makes almost no sense. Leads me to believe the TiVo box can't properly read SNR.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio.

Think when the noise to too loud, the signal is harder to attain.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 10-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
bobwalton

Quote:
SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio.

Think when the noise to too loud, the signal is harder to attain.
My signal reads 99-100% at a SNR of 38 with the 10 db attenuator or 41 db without it.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Yes, how is the Tivo now?
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~