TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
markp99
TakoKichi

Can Roamio stream to an un-sub'd unit?

Can Roamio stream to an un-Sub'd Premier or S3?
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
generaltso

No. You can only stream between units that are on your account, which means they need a subscription. I don't believe MRS is supported on the S3 at all.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

You can't do much of anything with an un-subbed unit these days. I don't even think they let you pause live TV anymore without a subscription.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You can't do much of anything with an un-subbed unit these days. I don't even think they let you pause live TV anymore without a subscription.
I believe you can still watch previously recorded shows though.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I believe you can still watch previously recorded shows though.
Yes you can, and watch live TV without guide data.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
series5orpremier

With an S3 you can do manual recordings with no guide data, but that may only work if you've kept it from communicating with the mother-ship for a long time.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
With an S3 you can do manual recordings with no guide data, but that may only work if you've kept it from communicating with the mother-ship for a long time.
Yeah they stopped allowing that on un-subbed units back in the S1 days. With a S1 you could do quite a bit without a subscription, but then they started subsidizing the hardware so they took most of it away and introduced "boat anchor mode". (that's actually what it use to say in the System Info screen when you didn't have a sub)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
After about 30 to 45 days most non Series 1 TiVos will go into brick mode even if it has Lifetime Service if the TiVo does not call home. It will only work as a tuner and be able to play back recordings. I have a Series 2 with Lifetime that does this when I power it up until it calls home.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
series5orpremier

Not my Tivo HD. I cut off communications with the Tivo server before it's subscription ended in 2010 and retained manual recording functionality (by time and channel) up until my unit stopped working earlier this year from hard drive or motherboard failure. The unit's internal clock slowly drifted off course but it didn't matter since I just adjusted my start and end times accordingly. I only used it occasionally for a 3rd and/or 4th tuner to supplement my Premiere XL.

It's kind of moot now since I'm not about to mess with trying to fix it and have plenty of tuners with Roamio.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Not my Tivo HD. I cut off communications with the Tivo server before it's subscription ended in 2010 and retained manual recording functionality (by time and channel) up until my unit stopped working earlier this year from hard drive or motherboard failure. The unit's internal clock slowly drifted off course but it didn't matter since I just adjusted my start and end times accordingly. I only used it occasionally for a 3rd and/or 4th tuner to supplement my Premiere XL.

It's kind of moot now since I'm not about to mess with trying to fix it and have plenty of tuners with Roamio.
That why I said most not all, others have reported the same as you, it may be the level of software or just luck, but don't count on it working.