TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
skuzzzzy

Anyway to control receiver power with roamio remote?

Anyway to control receiver power with roamio remote?

I find the the tivo remote way more comfortable, would be nice to beable to turn on/off both the tv and receiver aswell as change tv mode.
skuzzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
mdscott

Yes check the instructions/links under Customizing.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
dmaneyapanda

Stupidly, that link actually doesn't explain how to have the remote control the AV power. I don't understand why TiVo still has this info not publicized.

To make your remote control the AV power, hold down the tivo+power buttons for a few seconds until the light comes on, then enter in the AV code again (the same one you used to let you control AV mute and volume). That's it!

Note that, if you have a choice of many codes, a code that works for mute and volume may not work for power - you may have to keep trying other codes for your brand receiver to find one that works for all three.
dmaneyapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
skuzzzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaneyapanda View Post
Stupidly, that link actually doesn't explain how to have the remote control the AV power. I don't understand why TiVo still has this info not publicized.

To make your remote control the AV power, hold down the tivo+power buttons for a few seconds until the light comes on, then enter in the AV code again (the same one you used to let you control AV mute and volume). That's it!

Note that, if you have a choice of many codes, a code that works for mute and volume may not work for power - you may have to keep trying other codes for your brand receiver to find one that works for all three.
Worked thanks
skuzzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
mdscott

Quote:
This is The direct link to the remote customization procedures. You still need to expand the specific sections.

michael
Old 08-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
dmaneyapanda

Unless I am going blind, nothing on that page, even after expanding all the sections, explains how to hold tivo+power down in order to get the remote to control the AV power.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
DM3MD157

So by following the above instructions you are able to power on both the TV and Receiver with one button click (TV PWR) just like you can program the Glo remote? Or does this just control the power for the Receiver?
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
Jeremy5

Another option if your receiver supports it is HDMI-CEC. I have my receiver in a closet turn on and off with the TV.
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdscott View Post
This is The direct link to the remote customization procedures. You still need to expand the specific sections.
Quote:
Unless I am going blind, nothing on that page, even after expanding all the sections, explains how to hold tivo+power down in order to get the remote to control the AV power.
They're right, you keep posting the link, but the link and the Tivo help screens never mention RECEIVER power, ever, so if it works, it's an easter egg at this point.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
NJguy

I just got a Zvox soundbar (sound box really). Never owned one before but the new TV I have is very low profile on the bottom sitting on the stand (about 3 inches) so my Samsung Soundbar was blocking a bit of the bottom of TV when watching. Also, with soundbars I found the TiVo remote is not very good as far as codes.

The new thing I got is a box made of wood so the 60" TV sits on top of it. The great thing is that the remote (even the TiVo) remote "learns" the controls of the Zvox by pointing at the Zvox and doing a couple button pushes. It really was the easiest thing I've done with regards to "learning remote"
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
DM3MD157

I don't have my Roamio yet so I can't test this out. I just don't understand how entering in the AV codes won't overwrite the TV codes when you enter it in!?!?
Old 11-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
jdmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
I don't have my Roamio yet so I can't test this out. I just don't understand how entering in the AV codes won't overwrite the TV codes when you enter it in!?!?
I know this is what one would expect and it isn't documented clearly, but it does work. I've used the Tivo remote to power on both TV and AV receiver for every Tivo since my original Philips series 1. The Roamio remote behaves the same - one button to power on/off both devices.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
DM3MD157

Ok, I have to report some findings. I have a TiVo Premiere base remote (non-glo) and I my two tuner Premiere. I first set the TV code using the TiVo guy + the power button. Then I set the receiver code with the TiVo guy + the mute button. I went back and set that same code with Tivo guy + power button and it worked. I am guessing that it doesn't overwrite the TV code because it knows the receiver code is not a TV code. So it stores both! Note that I had to try a few codes for my Onkyo receiver as some of them I guess didn't have the power button control. That being said I did not have to redo the TV code every time I tried the receiver code. Hopefully this is the same deal with the Roamio remote!

I hope this helps!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
gbruyn

Still don't get how this works... Do you hit the POWER BUTTON and BOTH DEVICES (TV & Reciever) turn on?????!?!?!?!?!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
DM3MD157

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
Still don't get how this works... Do you hit the POWER BUTTON and BOTH DEVICES (TV & Reciever) turn on?????!?!?!?!?!
Yes, it sends a signal to your TV and your Receiver to turn them both on and off. You have to perform the extra step of assigning the receiver to the power button (not just the mute button). It now performs as I had originally programmed my Glo remote.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Philmatic

Christ almighty, how have I not known this? I've owned every TiVo since 2003!
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
DM3MD157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Christ almighty, how have I not known this? I've owned every TiVo since 2003!
Cuz TiVo is dumb and didn't document it!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
mobilelawyer

Anxious to try it

Thanks much for the tip.
mobilelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
mobilelawyer

But Engadget Says You Can't Do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5 View Post
Another option if your receiver supports it is HDMI-CEC. I have my receiver in a closet turn on and off with the TV.
Engadget says CEC is not supported with Roamios.

I hope Engadget is wrong on that point. If it is working with your TiVo Roamio, it ought to work with mine!!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
Jeremy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
Engadget says CEC is not supported with Roamios.

I hope Engadget is wrong on that point. If it is working with your TiVo Roamio, it ought to work with mine!!
My TV and my receiver support HDMI-CEC. The Roamio or anything else plugged into the receiver does not have to also support it for the functionality I described.
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
anthonymoody

To my knowledge if you have a receiver brand like Onkyo with dedicate on/off commands this doesn't work. Or more accurately will only work for one (on or off) but not both.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
DM3MD157

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
To my knowledge if you have a receiver brand like Onkyo with dedicate on/off commands this doesn't work. Or more accurately will only work for one (on or off) but not both.
It works fine with my Onkyo! I had to try a few codes for it to work. Functions just like my Glo remote.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
mobilelawyer

Please elaborate further...

Quote:
It works fine with my Onkyo! I had to try a few codes for it to work. Functions just like my Glo remote.
I have the Onkyo NR-808 receiver and the Samsung PN59D7000 plasma. Both have CEC (although Onkyo does not call it that). They have never worked in complete "Harmony" with each other: Logitech has always supplied that bridge with its remote and has worked well to control those devices, as well as my Roamio.

But using the trick described in this thread, indeed, I am now able to turn the receiver on and off with the TV, and as long as the input stays the same and I can do everything with the TiVo remote, and I very much like that.

Now, if only I could make where the input on the Onkyo is also switched, if necessary, when I am using the TiVo. Right now, only the Harmony remote can accomplish that. Does your Onkyo set-up allow this?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
DM3MD157

I haven't tried that! I am sure you can do it with the Glo remote since it is able to learn.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
mobilelawyer

I am sure you are correct

Quote:
I haven't tried that! I am sure you can do it with the Glo remote since it is able to learn.
But can someone with the Glo confirm that you are using it with an Onkyo receiver, and that the Glo can be programed not only to control volume, turn the receiver on and off, but also to change the input on the Onkyo when the "On" button is pressed on the Glo?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #26
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
But can someone with the Glo confirm that you are using it with an Onkyo receiver, and that the Glo can be programed not only to control volume, turn the receiver on and off, but also to change the input on the Onkyo when the "On" button is pressed on the Glo?
I don't think input switching is possible.

Best bet - if you really want to use the TiVo remote - is to program the harmony so that it always returns the receiver to the Tivo input before shutting down. That way you can use your TiVo remote for TiVo, and the harmony for everything else.

That said, it defeats the purpose of a universal remote so...
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
mobilelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I don't think input switching is possible.

Best bet - if you really want to use the TiVo remote - is to program the harmony so that it always returns the receiver to the Tivo input before shutting down. That way you can use your TiVo remote for TiVo, and the harmony for everything else.

That said, it defeats the purpose of a universal remote so...
Yes it does, but it also makes sense. I am going to add that command to the Harmony sequence.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #28
mobilelawyer

One compliant I have with the procedure described in this thread is that after programming the Roamio remote to control power for both the TV and the Receiver, I have to be sure to quickly press and release the "on" button of the Roamio. My experience is that if I don't do this, the TV turns on, but not the Onkyo receiver.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by mobilelawyer : 11-14-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Clarified earlier post
Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
dmaneyapanda

I have noticed that sometimes only one or the other turns on/off, but have always chalked it up to a line-of-sight problem. Getting them resynced can be a bit of a chore, but I usually get it done by pushing the button, waiting half a second, then covering the IR shield on the remote. I have always just assumed the IR commands were sent sequentially, so by doing so I was blocking the second one from getting transmitted.

I haven't never noticed the speed with which I pushed (or released) the button to have any effect, but then again I guess I always push the button for about the same normal duration.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #30
DM3MD157

I think the Roamio has a weaker IR blaster than the Premiere and Glo remotes. I never had this problem before, but now with the Roamio every once in a while I get the same results as what you're saying. If I aim correctly, I am usually ok. It also helps that the receiver is right below where the TV's IR sensor is. Just aim in that direction.